Why didn't Lebron take that last shot?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
James made the “right” basketball play. But sometimes you need the “winning” basketball play instead.

Legacies are born with game winning shots. Great players separate themselves by taking on the responsibility of taking that winning or losing shot. If reversed would Butler have taken the ball for a game winning attempt or the “right” play?

To be clear, in that particular case I would expect James to pass the ball ( as I expect the Heat defense likely did) but my issue is James not being driven to be the one to take the shot in the first place.

Sometimes in you just need the leader to say “give me the ball, I got this”.

You've existed in this world way too long to not know better. You don't shoot over three defenders just because you want to be the hero. You make the right play and go for the high percentage shot, not the selfish, hero shot. The hero shot is unbelievable if you somehow manage to pull it off, but if you're swallowed by three defenders and just jack up a shot like that and it doesn't go in, then what? Because I don't believe anyone who's criticizing him for not forcing up an awful shot in that situation would've been totally fine if he had missed. The obvious (and fair) criticism would've been that he should've passed.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Lebron made the right play, period. He had the most efficient(TS%) 40 point game in Finals history, but I don't recall him taking a single mid range jumper.

This is the nature of team sports. Make the right play, but sometimes the teammates don't convert. Had Ray Allen missed that shot in game 6, we'd gloss over Lebron's 16 points in the 4th quarter. Then missed out on the 37 point masterpiece he had in game 7.

Sometimes it just comes down to a shot that doesn't go in, but I'm not about to criticize the guy who kept us from getting blown out last night, then drew their entire defense to the paint before passing out to an open veteran.
kbitboc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject:

The passed to Danny Green was the right play. Green should have swung the ball to KCP at the corner. That would have been a better shot.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

I’m not mad at Bron, not even mad at green. I can live with a shot attempt make or miss....Kief is the one who deserves most of the blame.

He gets the rebound...Green, kCP, and Lebron are wide open and he throws it to covered AD??? And not only that...the pass was like 4 feet too high!!!! How the heck are you that off when AD is like 10 feet away from you?!!!

One of the dumbest decisions I’ve ever seen!!!!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Because he was triple teamed. His gravity allowed Danny Green to be wide open. He missed.

If Bron would have shot it over the triple team and missed fans would have complained about that too.

I don't fault Bron at all. He made the right decision. On to game 6.

Yep, here is an example of what's being said in this alternate reality where Lebron took the shot over 3 dudes... "Instead of making the right play, Lebron tried to be MJ. He tried to be the GOAT. Look, MJ was the GOAT not because he took every last shot, it's because he trusted his teammates. Steve Kerr hit the game winner because MJ trusted him."

But in our reality right now, you got peeps starting crap already about how this is why Bron isn't MJ.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
I’m not mad at Bron, not even mad at green. I can live with a shot attempt make or miss....Kief is the one who deserves most of the blame.

He gets the rebound...Green, kCP, and Lebron are wide open and he throws it to covered AD??? And not only that...the pass was like 4 feet too high!!!! How the heck are you that off when AD is like 10 feet away from you?!!!

One of the dumbest decisions I’ve ever seen!!!!

Yeah he kind of panicked there with the ball in his hands, the clock ticking down, and the championship on the line. You know he and Danny are going to be super focused to make amends in game 6.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

What’s also haunting is the challenge we used on LeBron’s offensive rebound. Could have used that timeout after Morris got the offensive rebound.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
What’s also haunting is the challenge we used on LeBron’s offensive rebound. Could have used that timeout after Morris got the offensive rebound.

You mean the offensive foul on Duncan Robinson? Yeah, it wasn't clear cut, and I thought there is no way the refs would overturn and have people say they favored Lebron in an important night for Bron and the Lakers.

How the coaches use challenges to me has been mindboggling all year long. Why isn't it a rule of thumb to save the challenge for the end of the game? Several games ago, we used it in the first half with a comfortable lead... why would you do that? I don't get it.
Shalashaska
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

You mean the offensive foul on Duncan Robinson? Yeah, it wasn't clear cut, and I thought there is no way the refs would overturn and have people say they favored Lebron in an important night for Bron and the Lakers.

How the coaches use challenges to me has been mindboggling all year long. Why isn't it a rule of thumb to save the challenge for the end of the game? Several games ago, we used it in the first half with a comfortable lead... why would you do that? I don't get it.

The timeout situation came back to bite us in the ass, especially with the Morris play at the end. Using three/four timeouts in the first quarter (because of the AD injury) hurt us.

That and the fluke 14 points on three possessions in the third. Just a weird type of game.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Shalashaska wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

The timeout situation came back to bite us in the ass, especially with the Morris play at the end. Using three/four timeouts in the first quarter (because of the AD injury) hurt us.

That and the fluke 14 points on three possessions in the third. Just a weird type of game.

We didn't need a timeout, we needed a shot attempt. A timeout would have allowed them to reset their defense. Morris should've gone back up with it or made a decisive pass.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Shalashaska wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

We didn't need a timeout, we needed a shot attempt. A timeout would have allowed them to reset their defense. Morris should've gone back up with it or made a decisive pass.

Exactly, making a tough last second post entry pass by a guy that normally never does it was an awful of the fly decision. It was a JR Smith kind of last second play, not quite as bad but same result.

It would have still been heartbreaking regardless if he missed it or made a quick pass anywhere else and they missed it but that was a horrible way to end a super close game like that.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject:

The Heat weren't letting Lebron beat them, and the way the other Lakers were shooting that was a good gamble.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Bron made the right play. It's just too bad he doesn't have a role player like Kerr or DFish or Horry out there with him. Instead he has Danny Green.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Green was 2-4 before that shot. It’s not like he was struggling all night.

Not sure how many coaches let you take the last shot being down 1 with over 15secs to go. I think if the game was tied it would have been the right play to take the last shot. But being down 1 you try to give yourself multiple chances if missed. Which the Lakers got but Kief just blew it harder.

Last edited by miggz23 on Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
Right basketball play but no one would have been mad if he just dribbled into a jumper, he was on fire

If he dribbled into a contested jumper with three guys on him that rattled out while he had open shooters at the arc, yeah, he'd be crucified.
BruceLee-Bron23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Lebron, Kobe, Jordan....My favorite players of all time. I’ve followed Lebron’s career since he was in St Vincents and have tons of his memorobilia. When I found out he was going to play for my favorite team....Damn not gonna lie shed a few tears. Lebron James in my eyes has never been as super aggressive as say Kobe or Jordan....He’s always been a playmaker first. If the play is the correct one to make his insane basketball IQ will kick in and tell em pass to Danny Green....As he did so in this last game. If you could all comprehend the basketball GENIOUS that he is....NO other player in history I feel was smarter then Lebron James and no current player either. Let the King be the king...Trust me...He will find a way to that trophy even if it goes to seven.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
Bron made the right play. It's just too bad he doesn't have a role player like Kerr or DFish or Horry out there with him. Instead he has Danny Green.

lbj's pass to green didn't do him any favors.
PinoyLBJFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
James made the “right” basketball play. But sometimes you need the “winning” basketball play instead.

Legacies are born with game winning shots. Great players separate themselves by taking on the responsibility of taking that winning or losing shot. If reversed would Butler have taken the ball for a game winning attempt or the “right” play?

To be clear, in that particular case I would expect James to pass the ball ( as I expect the Heat defense likely did) but my issue is James not being driven to be the one to take the shot in the first place.

Sometimes in you just need the leader to say “give me the ball, I got this”.

but the thing is LBJ don't play like that. that is how he is. he's is always looking for the high percentage play and that is to find an open guy. If he is open on that play I'm sure he will take it. but 3-4 guys on you,c'mon there will always be 2 guys whos is free and could take an open shot
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

This. LeBron's pass was not perfect, DG had to bend to catch it. It was not like one of those Rondo passes where the catcher gets the ball where he can just pull up. Of course DG was totally free and had enough time to get set for a good shot. Maybe DG was not aware how much time he had.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:51 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
The real question is-- why was Markieff Morris in the game? Need to surround LeBron and AD with SHOOTERS.

Unfortunately on our team, Kieff is one of the few who roughly approximates that description.

And he was hot before this game.

Lol..boy ain't the truth.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:

Really low TBH. Too low. I kinda wish DG had the vision to swing it to KCP in the corner. In fact I wish Lebron angled his attack so he could straight out pass to KCP in the corner
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:37 am    Post subject:

With us being in bonus, i would have liked a drive to basket and give to AD...heat left Our shooters on purpose...

I would have liked LBJ taking more 3s as he was so hot...rondo/kuz were 0/7...eery tom and dick were shooting 3s when lbjs 3 ball was rolling
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject:

Don’t overthinking. We have done quite a good job and lead the series 3-2. They’re not a bad team. They have the NBA second highest payroll. They have championship coach in Spo and Riley behind them. And we’re still managed to lead the series. We have done quite a good job on defense so far but their guards Robinson and Nunn had a good performance in game 5. And our supporting cast just had a bad game. That’s it. Don’t lose our faith. Let’s go Lakers!
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject:

kbitboc wrote:
The passed to Danny Green was the right play. Green should have swung the ball to KCP at the corner. That would have been a better shot.

This. I got no problems with LBJ's decision on the play. DG not throwing it to KCP, then proceeding to brick it badly, then Morris sitting there with the ball and chucking it out of bounds right before time expires like a brain dead moron capped it off as the shaqtin moments of the game.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Because he was triple teamed. His gravity allowed Danny Green to be wide open. He missed.

If Bron would have shot it over the triple team and missed fans would have complained about that too.

I don't fault Bron at all. He made the right decision. On to game 6.

Yep !
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: