CP3 to Lakers? (Nope -Traded to the Suns)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CRoost wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
If OKC's goal is to save money, getting rid of CP3s contract and getting Green back as an expiring, helps that cause tremendously.

They are still rebuilding so flipping assets for draft picks is more favorable than just getting through a liability.

Case in point, Bucks offer the first round from Indiana and their 21 pick, that’s 2 draft assets . They they add contracts of Bledsoe and Hill, that’s another 2 assets that they can flip for more draft picks. They can’t do that Green. Only way for them to more interested in our offer is seeing Kuz as a main piece which is a stretch .

Right. OKC's goal is not just to save money. That's a common misconception in these sorts of discussions. In fact, a lot of people have convinced themselves that CP3's contract is a lot worse than it really is. He was an all-star and second-team all-NBA last year. If his contract was $35M next year instead of $41M, no one would blink. $6M is hardly trivial, but a lot of people seem to have inflated the disparity in their minds.

OKC is under the luxury tax threshold, so it is not imperative for Presti to swallow a bunch of garbage just to reduce the payroll. On the contrary, if it comes right down to it, he can let CP3 play for another season, or at least until the trade deadline. CP3 might take them back to the playoffs if he's healthy. That's an attractive option if the alternative is taking a bunch of garbage and missing the playoffs. The risk, of course, is that CP3 might get injured. But if you are willing to take that risk for the Lakers, there is no reason to think that Presti wouldn't take it for the Thunder.

I do think that Presti has to move him now. You cannot take the chance that he injures himself again, which would absolutely plummet his value. His contract was considered hideous before last season. Now that he only has 2 years left and played at an all-NBA level again, it doesn't look so bad, and certain teams might feel the desperation to go for it with him. They can't hold him into this season imo. Now is the time to sell him as high as you can, get what you can (which will be at least one decent asset in the form of a young player and/or a 1st Round pick imo), and also get the financial savings. The benefit of any offer by us would be that it would be all expiring contracts for OKC, and up to 3 "assets": Kuz/THT/#28 pick.

I see us as having a real shot, but I don't see us as the favorite.

Also- the best chance for OKC to get high picks over the next few years is by tanking. Keeping CP on the team will prevent that.

The picks they have coming are from the Clips, Rockets and Heat- none are likely to yield high lotto picks.

They'd be smart to start tanking this year, when fans can't come to the games anyway b/c of the virus.

Yep, and I believe they will absolutely do that. I'm sure Donovan was apprised of their plans, they probably would have gladly retained him had he wanted to be onboard for such a transition, but clearly wanted to give him an out if he wasn't. And, he wasn't. LOL.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
You're forgetting the opportunity afforded to OKC with cap space, which they can potentially "rent out" to teams in exchange for assets.

OKC will not gain cap space in '21 by trading CP3. They would need to take matching contracts in any deal. Even if they saved some money in the deal, they would still be over the cap for next year. They might get under the cap in '22 if they took expiring contracts, but I don't see Presti being so unambitious that his long term plan would be to turn the Thunder's payroll into a Superfund site.

Do not know where you are getting your numbers from, Aeneas.

If for instance the Thunder took Green, McGee opt in, Bradley opt in, Kuzma (last year with bird rights for OKC), Cook (1M guaranteed, 3M salary in trade) etc they would have capspace in 2021.

You and I are using terminology differently. When I refer to '21, I mean the season ending in '21 and the payrolls for that season. I don't mean the summer of '21. The summer of '21 would be the beginning of the payroll cycle for the '22 season.

Yes the season after next (and beyond) is what I was referring to. And while we have less picks to offer, we do have contracts that expire sooner and give them the ability to rent out all that cap space in successive years. The potential picks they get in exchange might be worth more than the 1 or 2 extra picks the other teams offer.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Also- the best chance for OKC to get high picks over the next few years is by tanking. Keeping CP on the team will prevent that.

The picks they have coming are from the Clips, Rockets and Heat- none are likely to yield high lotto picks.

They'd be smart to start tanking this year, when fans can't come to the games anyway b/c of the virus.

This is an example of a Lakersground staple: The belief that every other team's rebuilding plan is to tank. I guess it's not literally impossible that Presti would do this, but it's pretty unlikely.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject:

Huh?

https://twitter.com/br_nba/status/1322527673231548416?s=21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Huh?

https://twitter.com/br_nba/status/1322527673231548416?s=21

Not surprising to see Paul in a Laker jersey but seeing Giannis in a Warriors jersey is oddly troubling.

Guessing the underlying plan would be similar to the Lakers. Just how many impact players would be willing to take vet min contracts for a chance at a ring. And with which team?
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

This is an example of a Lakersground staple: The belief that every other team's rebuilding plan is to tank. I guess it's not literally impossible that Presti would do this, but it's pretty unlikely.

Why do you think it’s unlikely ?
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Quote:
Windhorst:

"I'm betting on a frenzy [once free agency begins], transactions haven't happened since February. These teams have sat for 8 months on things they want to do... the biggest name that could end up getting moved is Chris Paul. I don't see a league shifting move, but I think we're going to see quite a bit of action... I think you'll see a name or two moved that will be interesting. I think you'll see some sign and trades. There's going to be some movement around. Free agency is going on right now. Players, agents, and teams are swapping numbers right now."

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=30220699

If CP3 is getting traded, OKC would want to trade him before training camp. I think, just a guess, that of all the teams mentioned, the Bucks might be the ones desperate to do it for Giannis.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

Finances. Last month the NBA hosted their Finals and no one watched, fans have abandoned the league and when they are able to return, many won’t. Especially in areas where the NBA’s activism isn’t appreciated, which includes OKC. Put an inferior product on the court and you won’t bring those fans back. Trade Paul for an exciting young player that they an market makes more sense. I’m not sure what that trade would be but tanking isn’t going to bring in the casual fan. Especially with no college season when fans won’t know who the players in the draft are.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
You're forgetting the opportunity afforded to OKC with cap space, which they can potentially "rent out" to teams in exchange for assets.

OKC will not gain cap space in '21 by trading CP3. They would need to take matching contracts in any deal. Even if they saved some money in the deal, they would still be over the cap for next year. They might get under the cap in '22 if they took expiring contracts, but I don't see Presti being so unambitious that his long term plan would be to turn the Thunder's payroll into a Superfund site.

If for instance the Thunder took Green, McGee opt in, Bradley opt in, Kuzma (last year with bird rights for OKC), Cook (1M guaranteed, 3M salary in trade) etc they would have capspace in 2021.

You and I are using terminology differently. When I refer to '21, I mean the season ending in '21 and the payrolls for that season. I don't mean the summer of '21. The summer of '21 would be the beginning of the payroll cycle for the '22 season.

Yes the season after next (and beyond) is what I was referring to. And while we have less picks to offer, we do have contracts that expire sooner and give them the ability to rent out all that cap space in successive years. The potential picks they get in exchange might be worth more than the 1 or 2 extra picks the other teams offer.

My guess is OKC will want immediate assets for Paul, rather than just expiring contracts in hopes of turning next year's cap space into assets.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

My guess is OKC will want immediate assets for Paul, rather than just expiring contracts in hopes of turning next year's cap space into assets.

Right, but who is offering multiple picks? I don’t think the Bucks even have a future pick to offer (other than the Indy pick) because the ‘22 pick they owe to CLE could roll over until 2024. Are the Knicks really gonna trade multiple picks so CP3 can play in an empty Garden? The Sixers would have to trade back Horford or Tobias, both of whom have longer contracts. And while Presti might value assets more than savings, he’s not the owner of the team. And the owner has been one of the biggest belt tighteners since he took over. And things are about to get even tighter financially with no gate revenue (do they even have a TV deal?).

I really believe we’re in the cat bird’s seat for him.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

Finances. Last month the NBA hosted their Finals and no one watched, fans have abandoned the league and when they are able to return, many won’t. Especially in areas where the NBA’s activism isn’t appreciated, which includes OKC. Put an inferior product on the court and you won’t bring those fans back. Trade Paul for an exciting young player that they an market makes more sense. I’m not sure what that trade would be but tanking isn’t going to bring in the casual fan. Especially with no college season when fans won’t know who the players in the draft are.

Q: what exciting young player is going to get traded for CP3?

And imo finances are why the Lakers are ideally positioned with the expiring contracts they offer. Tanking might not be ideal in the short term, but OKC knows their best and probably only chance at a franchise player is to draft him. The arenas are gonna be near empty next season anyway. Might as well tank now and get your high pick sooner than later.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject:

That is the question, but I doubt that Kuzma, Green, McGee or Rondo qualify. Especially if Paul wants a contender, which he likely will. Boston might qualify but they already have Walker. Toronto maybe with a. An Vleet S&T, Oklahoma isn’t that far from Kansas.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

That has never been the way that Presti rolls. The Thunder have actual assets and made the playoffs this year. They took the Rockets to seven games in the first round. So you think that Presti is going to tank now just because Chris Paul has an expensive contract?

More generally, there seems to be a perception in Laker Nation that small market teams just want to tank and try to get draft choices. If any of those draft choices turn out to be stars, we expect them to leave for a big market team as free agents as soon as they can. Well, the small market teams understand this dynamic, too. They don't feel the need to be a de facto farm system for the big market teams.

Also, as VLF mentioned, there is the financial issue. Most of you have never been through a true tanking scenario. We missed the playoffs for six years, though we still had Kobe for three of those years. Most of the people around here were ready to storm the front office. Busschak got fired, and most of you are still pissed about them. Basically, we signed Lebron and scrapped the rebuild. That's not an option for small market teams. Anyway, this was nothing compared to what the fans of other teams have endured, like the Kings and Suns. The last time the Kings made the playoffs, Rick Adelman was the head coach and Mike Bibby was their leading scorer. The Suns almost got into the play-in game for the #8 seed, and it's the most exciting thing that has happened for them in years.

Again, small market GMs understand that tanking is a good way to get yourself run out of town. It sounds a lot more appealing to fans of big market teams who think that missing the playoffs for a decade is something that happens to other people.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject:

That’s never been how Presti rolls? He traded Harden for Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and two mid firsts. And that was because his boss didn’t want to pay a 23-year old Harden 17 million. The first thing Presti did when he got the job was flip Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis for assets and then tank for 3 straight years.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

That has never been the way that Presti rolls.

From Presti’s wiki:

In his first move as general manager of the SuperSonics, he traded multiple-time All-Star Ray Allen to the Boston Celtics, whom Allen helped win the NBA title in 2008, in a large trade that included the draft rights to Jeff Green.

He shortly thereafter traded All-Star Rashard Lewis to the Orlando Magic for a second-round draft pick, generating a 9-million-dollar trade exception which Presti later used to land Kurt Thomas and two first-round draft picks from the Phoenix Suns.

In Presti's first season in charge, the team was a franchise worst 20–62. Toward the end of that season, the league authorized a move and after a court battle and settlement, the team was allowed to move to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Subsequently, they were renamed the Thunder.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

That has never been the way that Presti rolls.

From Presti’s wiki:

In his first move as general manager of the SuperSonics, he traded multiple-time All-Star Ray Allen to the Boston Celtics, whom Allen helped win the NBA title in 2008, in a large trade that included the draft rights to Jeff Green.

He shortly thereafter traded All-Star Rashard Lewis to the Orlando Magic for a second-round draft pick, generating a 9-million-dollar trade exception which Presti later used to land Kurt Thomas and two first-round draft picks from the Phoenix Suns.

In Presti's first season in charge, the team was a franchise worst 20–62. Toward the end of that season, the league authorized a move and after a court battle and settlement, the team was allowed to move to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Subsequently, they were renamed the Thunder.

They were in the middle of a messy divorce with Seattle at the time. But as VLF pointed out, a place like OKC may not respect such moves.

Presti may as well hold out for a better deal. The key will be how much he values Kuzma, as the 28th pick won't move the needle much.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Tanking is exactly the way Presti and (more importantly) Clay Bennet roll, when it’s in their best interest.

It’s in their best interest now. The West will be even tougher this year with the Ws back, PDX healthy, and young teams like the Suns and Grizzlies getting better. OKC would be a longshot to make the playoffs, and almost certainly get a first round exit.

Bennet isn’t going to want to pay for that- especially with a 40% revenue loss looming. He has always been cheap- dating back at least to the Harden trade. If he wouldn’t spend to compete for NBA titles, you think he’s going to spend to be at best first round fodder when there’s a massive revenue drop ?

Their best path forward is to tank for a high pick to pair with SGA in a year when fans can’t come to the games in any substantial numbers anyway. They are going to take a huge hit financially either way- better to set themselves up for the long term as well as possible.

And to mitigate the financial hit, Bennet is going to look to move as much salary off the books as possible. Saving $11m this year by moving CP to the Lakers and getting Kuz & #28 in the process would be a win for them.

It’s a good combination of financial savings and assets coming back. That type of offer will look very good if they can’t get the Knicks to swallow CP’s salary completely and the Bucks go after Oladipo.

They’ll tell their fans that they’re going back to being a “young team building from the ground up”, just like when they first came to OKC. And it actually does make sense for them in the long run. Presti has shown he can hit home runs at the top of the draft.

They will then spend a few years under the cap, operating as close to the 90% level as they can, collecting revenue sharing checks while they build their team through the draft. Bennet is going to want to make some money again after the last few years.
PASTOR RILEY
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Tanking is exactly the way Presti and (more importantly) Clay Bennet roll, when it’s in their best interest.

It’s in their best interest now. The West will be even tougher this year with the Ws back, PDX healthy, and young teams like the Suns and Grizzlies getting better. OKC would be a longshot to make the playoffs, and almost certainly get a first round exit.

Bennet isn’t going to want to pay for that- especially with a 40% revenue loss looming. He has always been cheap- dating back at least to the Harden trade. If he wouldn’t spend to compete for NBA titles, you think he’s going to spend to be at best first round fodder when there’s a massive revenue drop ?

Their best path forward is to tank for a high pick to pair with SGA in a year when fans can’t come to the games in any substantial numbers anyway. They are going to take a huge hit financially either way- better to set themselves up for the long term as well as possible.

And to mitigate the financial hit, Bennet is going to look to move as much salary off the books as possible. Saving $11m this year by moving CP to the Lakers and getting Kuz & #28 in the process would be a win for them.

It’s a good combination of financial savings and assets coming back. That type of offer will look very good if they can’t get the Knicks to swallow CP’s salary completely and the Bucks go after Oladipo.

They’ll tell their fans that they’re going back to being a “young team building from the ground up”, just like when they first came to OKC. And it actually does make sense for them in the long run. Presti has shown he can hit home runs at the top of the draft.

They will then spend a few years under the cap, operating as close to the 90% level as they can, collecting revenue sharing checks while they build their team through the draft. Bennet is going to want to make some money again after the last few years.
And they should with a boatload of draft picks that they got from the clippers
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Well said Babyskyhook. Thanks for posting the research.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

That has never been the way that Presti rolls. The Thunder have actual assets and made the playoffs this year. They took the Rockets to seven games in the first round. So you think that Presti is going to tank now just because Chris Paul has an expensive contract?

More generally, there seems to be a perception in Laker Nation that small market teams just want to tank and try to get draft choices. If any of those draft choices turn out to be stars, we expect them to leave for a big market team as free agents as soon as they can. Well, the small market teams understand this dynamic, too. They don't feel the need to be a de facto farm system for the big market teams.

Also, as VLF mentioned, there is the financial issue. Most of you have never been through a true tanking scenario. We missed the playoffs for six years, though we still had Kobe for three of those years. Most of the people around here were ready to storm the front office. Busschak got fired, and most of you are still pissed about them. Basically, we signed Lebron and scrapped the rebuild. That's not an option for small market teams. Anyway, this was nothing compared to what the fans of other teams have endured, like the Kings and Suns. The last time the Kings made the playoffs, Rick Adelman was the head coach and Mike Bibby was their leading scorer. The Suns almost got into the play-in game for the #8 seed, and it's the most exciting thing that has happened for them in years.

Again, small market GMs understand that tanking is a good way to get yourself run out of town. It sounds a lot more appealing to fans of big market teams who think that missing the playoffs for a decade is something that happens to other people.

#1 rule of small market teams is fiscal management. The Donald Sterling model - low payroll, low budget operation until you get a decent team - is the rule, not the exception, in MOST markets. And generally, even when small market teams invest in players to make a run and win, it's short-lived.

The Spurs were the exception, but they also had players who were willing to make significant salary sacrifices.

When Lebron walked from Cleveland the 1st time, did Gilbert go out and spend to field a competitive team? No - he cut payroll and tanked like a mother. Ditto Lebron leaving the 2nd time.

Minnesota traded KG in 2007 - in the 13 seasons since, they've been in the lottery 12 times. The one time they made a move to contend was in 2017, when they traded for Jimmy Butler. They made the playoffs, then traded Jimmy for an expiring K, a tradeable K (which they later traded) a rookie K and a #2 pick. None of the players they got for Butler are with the team.

In fact, the whole reason that there is a lottery is because of the blatant tanking in the NBA. When D'Antoni found out he wasn't coming back as Lakers HC - what did he do? He went all out to win the final regular season game a screw up the Lakers' position in the lottery.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Also, as it relates to fan support in OKC, they will have it. They are the only major pro sports team in the state.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
That’s never been how Presti rolls? He traded Harden for Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and two mid firsts. And that was because his boss didn’t want to pay a 23-year old Harden 17 million. The first thing Presti did when he got the job was flip Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis for assets and then tank for 3 straight years.

It would be helpful if you would read the entire paragraph and not just the first sentence.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
From Presti’s wiki:

Same comment to you. Read the whole paragraph.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
#1 rule of small market teams is fiscal management. The Donald Sterling model - low payroll, low budget operation until you get a decent team - is the rule, not the exception, in MOST markets. And generally, even when small market teams invest in players to make a run and win, it's short-lived.

As I've said, the folks on this board have some peculiar ideas about the mindset of the small market teams.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Also, as it relates to fan support in OKC, they will have it. They are the only major pro sports team in the state.

Not true. There is a major pro team right next door in Norman, Oklahoma.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 45 of 69
Jump to: