CP3 to Lakers? (Nope -Traded to the Suns)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 67, 68, 69  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Unlike others, Kuz in a CP3 deal is a no go for me. Don't see the market being there for CP3. Offering OKC 50M in savings+a 1st should be enough for a guy owed 85M with no market most likely (Bucks cheap, Knicks should target VanVleet)

1. LeBron
2. AD
3. KCP
4. Caruso
5.Kuz
6. Dwight (nonbird rights)
7. Morris (non bird rights/probably can get more on market)
8. Waiters
9. THT
10.Dudley
11. Boogie

That's returning 11 players. 3 of the 5 players not returning didnt play a role in playoffs (Cook, AB, McGee). Far from "gutting" our team

You need Kuzma to make the salaries work. The only players still under contract not included in the proposed trade are Caruso and THT (KCP and Rondo both opting out) and neither by themselves gets you to the requisite outgoing salary number. The only other option is S&Ting KCP, but because he'd be a base-year player, only half his salary would count. And then KCP would have to want to go there. And OKC would have to want him for 3 years when they're not really competing. And if he's coming at a bloated salary, it decreases his trade value.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
I guess another question is, in a scenario where Gallinari goes to Denver, Grant stays in Denver, Baynes goes to Golden States and Dragic stays in Miami. We have to use our MLE just to retain the same group of players. Are you confident enough to say we can win another title next year with the same unit when Denver, Miami and perhaps Milwaukee all have an upgrade?

Yes. It's not like we squeaked by in the playoffs. We crushed people.

So ageing LBJ, Rondo, Green and Dwight don't concern you? Not to mention, unlike last season, most contending teams will now specific build to beat us. I'm not as optimistic as you are

If we have:

AD/Dwight
Lebron/Markieff
Green/Kuz
KCP
Caruso

I feel good. I also don't think the three teams you named are the biggest challengers. I think that's the Clippers and the Warriors.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Trading AB for CP3 is a deal-breaker for me. He's the type of relatively young 2-way player we need moving forward, plus he's good insurance for if/when CP3 gets hurt again.

Noel or WCS would be great to replace McGee.

Harkless would be a solid get if his 3-point shooting improves. Jeff Green may also be solid for one or even two years.

The problem with your scenario is that we would still need one or two more good young supporting players, especially at guard and forward. If CP3 gets injured we'll be in deep trouble in your scenario.

Still need a little more youth and juice to repeat, especially with the rest of the league getting even better.

I’m not sure this deal can get done without giving up AB for salary matching purposes.

Young players that aren’t trash are 15-20 million dollar guys. We can’t afford them. We don’t have a ton of options in our position. I’d rather roll the dice on a 35 yr old Hall of Famer that will guarantee us a chip if everyone stays healthy over an overpaid young player that’s trash.

And that's why trading for CP3 is risky. We'd be not just over the cap but also the lux tax apron for 2 more years, which would make us unable to replenish our team with young role players.

Meanwhile, we'll be heavily reliant on two stars who are ancient by NBA standards and entirely dependant on both to not decline or get injured for two whole seasons. We'll also have a lack of serviceable role players, not to mention speed and athleticism.

I'd rather target D Rose than CP3 via trade. Rose would give us most of what we're looking for from CP3, but he'd be much easier to get, and that would allow us to keep our depth and retain the full MLE.

CP3 just came off 2nd team all NBA and has been an elite defender his entire career. Even Kobe used to say you don’t want to dribble around Chris Paul. I think he is light years better than Rose who has an even worse injury history than Paul and is way worse defensively. He also is nothing we need out of a point guard.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject:

I'd love to have Chris Paul, I just don't want to gut the team to get him. I'm fine with players who didn't have a significant role being included in a CP deal:

McGee
Cook
Green (who needs to be included because of the $15 million salary)
Draft pick #28

Bradley I'm on the fence, because he did have significant regular season value, but if we are getting CP , then yeah you let him go.

I'm reluctant to give up Kuzma, unless we KNOW we are getting a superior sf/pf with the MLE or as a ring chaser. Weather that is Harkless, Galinari, etc.

I'd like to hold on to THT if we could just because his contract is so low, and we haven't seen what he can do yet.

I don't want to part with Caruso - maybe I'd only consider him if we could dictate who else went out in the trade: Maybe Green, McGee, Caruso, Cook, so we could hold on to Kuzma and THT and still get CP3.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
These CP3 reports are listing the Lakers, Bucks, Heat, and Knicks as potential interested suitors. Of course there could be more, but it won't be many more, as there aren't many teams that would or could match up in trades. I'm going to do my best to take a look at the first 4 teams I mentioned, while keeping in mind that OKC will have two motivations here: saving money, and getting the best possible asset(s) in return.

Lakers
We can get up to the necessary outgoing $33MM-ish salary if both JaVale and Bradley opt in. I think JaVale is less likely to, so if he didn't, it becomes a bit problematic; you'd have to get someone to agree to a sign-and-trade to OKC, likely on an overpayment for a 1-year deal. But if the deal were DG/Kuz/JaVale/Bradley/Cook/#28, they'd save about $8MM this year and the full $44.2MM next year, for a total of a little over $52MM in savings. They wouldn't get anything further from DG/JaVale/Bradley/Cook, so the assets they'd get would be a look at Kuz in the last year of his rookie deal (with RFA matching rights in '21), plus the #28 pick.

Bucks
They can get up to the necessary outgoing salary a bit cleaner than we can, with a 3-for-1 deal of Bledsoe, Hill, and Ilyasova, plus their 24th overall pick. But with Bledsoe on the books for '21-22 also, they would only save a little under $31MM in total. So even though their #24 pick (via Indiana) is 4 spots higher than ours, OKC would save over $21MM with our deal, plus I haven't included a young prospect like Kuz in addition to the pick. I can't see the Bucks parting with DiVincenzo, and I don't think DJ Wilson moves the needle at all for OKC. The only thing I can add is that perhaps OKC could find a third team to steer Bledsoe to, where they pick up an additional asset out of it. Could Bledsoe fetch an additional 1st rounder out of a team? He's essentially now on a 2 year, $35MM deal, and coming off a 1st Team All-Defense selection.

Heat
They could get to the necessary outgoing salary by jettisoning Iggy, Olynyk (he's going to opt in), Okpala, Silva, plus the #20 overall pick. So from an asset standpoint, this is the highest pick that OKC would acquire, of the 3 teams so far, not to mention that, similar to our deal, all of the big money going to OKC would expire after the '20-21 season. Having said that, I'm not sure Miami makes sense for two reasons. One, I feel like they are extremely likely to simply retain Dragic. For another, after all that trouble of acquiring a veteran like Iggy and the drama surrounding that, are they now going to turn around and dump him onto a rebuilding team? Again? I just don't see it, personally, especially since I think they actually have a realistic shot at Giannis after this season. Getting CP3 completely ends that possibility.

Knicks
This would easily, easily represent OKC's best money-saving option of the 4 teams listed here. The reason is that NY could send out not one, not two, not three, but FOUR non-guaranteed contracts that total about $29.7MM (Taj Gibson, Ellington, Payton, and Bullock). The contracts guarantee right after the draft, but the Knicks could make this trade before the draft if they just included the disappointing Kevin Knox, whose $4.6MM salary this coming season gets them to the outgoing threshold. And while the Knicks could include a draft pick before the draft because they have so many picks coming, I don't even think they would need to, given they that they would literally be taking Chris Paul's contract on for free, basically, since I'm assuming that OKC would waive all of those players before guaranteeing their deals. To me this is, by far, OKC's preference, just because they would be saving upwards of $80MM. Plus getting a free look at Knox. (They could also take back Dennis Smith Jr. instead of Knox.) That all said, I am quite certain that CP3 wouldn't want to go to a rebuilding situation that would be worse in NY than it was in OKC last season, and perhaps he has enough pull here to get OKC to agree not to do something like this to him.

Of the above 4 options, I'm still going with Milwaukee as the most likely fit. I don't think JaVale is opting in with us, for one thing, and so it becomes much more convoluted on our end. The Bucks wouldn't be losing as many players, and although they'd be losing two point guards, one Chris Paul is better than the 2 guys they would be losing. They are under the gun with Giannis and I think they have the motivation and the best combination of being able to save OKC money and to give them a draft pick that they will want. I think CP3 probably prefers the Lakers though, so if we're able to figure out a way to make it work, I don't think you can rule it out. I think we're the second-most likely team to get this done.

This is a terrific breakdown, thanks. I think we have the advantage over the Bucks with the savings advantage. With all that cap coming off the books, OKC could rent out their cap space that year to teams that want to shed contracts (a very strong possibility with multiple owners likely looking at tremendous COVID-related losses) and pick up more assets. I'm doubtful Bledsoe can net a meaningfull asset after getting exposed in the playoffs in back to back seasons, and he turns 31 before the next season starts.

The Knicks to me were the biggest competitor. Obviously they have a huge cap-saving advantage AND the most assets to offer. It's more a question of: do they want CP3 bad enough and/or would CP3 send strong enough signals there to not trade for him? And really, what are they hoping for? That CP3 attracts another free agent in 2021? Who are they hoping to attract? Giannis? Kawhi? PG13?

I’d just like to add there is no way in hell McGee is opting out of a 4 million dollar payday in COVID 19 environment. I think both he and Bradley opt in meaning a package of Green, Kuz, Cook, Bradley, McGee, and a signed 28 draft pick can get this done 30 days after the pick.

I think this means we only have access to the tpMLE and I don’t know if we have enough to resign Dwight and KCP without going over hard cap.

I just want to keep KCP and Dwight. Cousins will come on vet minimum and we can fill out roster with THT and other vet minimum guys.

I think that team destroys everyone including Warriors if core 3 stays healthy.

I don't agree that it's a foregone conclusion that JaVale opts in. He's pocketed $61.5MM in his career. The vet min last year was $2.6MM, which is what guys like Rondo and Dudley got. Even if you think that he's just a vet min player, which I don't agree with, I think getting to pick your own team is worth more than, at most, an extra $1.6MM to get jettisoned to OKC or wherever. He could be in a position to go back to the Warriors if he hits free agency and be their starting center, for example. And, again, I think he could get better offers than the minimum.

Here's another possibility: what if he opts in, but his agent is aware of a deal to OKC and his agent brokers an agreement with OKC whereby he gets bought out so that he could seek another opportunity elsewhere, for a small discount? I could see that happening. That way, his eventual team is only on the hook for the vet min, which doesn't count against the cap, and he still gets almost all of his scheduled payday. This would be similar to what happened with Dwight last year.

Hey, I hope you're right though; it obviously helps us if he opts in. I do think Bradley is virtually certain to opt in.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject:

And I can't believe people would be sweating losing Avery Bradley if we picked up Chris Paul lol. There are plenty of viable reasons to not want the trade, even if I would probably do it. But losing Bradley is not one of them. The concern would be replacing the wing depth on the roster, since you'd presumably be losing both DG and Kuz, and I haven't even mentioned KCP yet.

Now, if we don't make the deal? Yes, Bradley would be a nice "welcome back" player to have.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Unlike others, Kuz in a CP3 deal is a no go for me. Don't see the market being there for CP3. Offering OKC 50M in savings+a 1st should be enough for a guy owed 85M with no market most likely (Bucks cheap, Knicks should target VanVleet)

1. LeBron
2. AD
3. KCP
4. Caruso
5.Kuz
6. Dwight (nonbird rights)
7. Morris (non bird rights/probably can get more on market)
8. Waiters
9. THT
10.Dudley
11. Boogie

That's returning 11 players. 3 of the 5 players not returning didnt play a role in playoffs (Cook, AB, McGee). Far from "gutting" our team

You need Kuzma to make the salaries work. The only players still under contract not included in the proposed trade are Caruso and THT (KCP and Rondo both opting out) and neither by themselves gets you to the requisite outgoing salary number. The only other option is S&Ting KCP, but because he'd be a base-year player, only half his salary would count. And then KCP would have to want to go there. And OKC would have to want him for 3 years when they're not really competing. And if he's coming at a bloated salary, it decreases his trade value.

Could S&T Rondo on a bloated one year guaranteed deal up to 10M
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
And I can't believe people would be sweating losing Avery Bradley if we picked up Chris Paul lol. There are plenty of viable reasons to not want the trade, even if I would probably do it. But losing Bradley is not one of them. The concern would be replacing the wing depth on the roster, since you'd presumably be losing both DG and Kuz, and I haven't even mentioned KCP yet.

Now, if we don't make the deal? Yes, Bradley would be a nice "welcome back" player to have.

Thanks for the recap. The Lakers showed how important it is to have a viable big-man center. McGee can get at or near the $4 million in salary on several teams, especially if the Lakers retain Dwight Howard. If McGee opts in, and is traded, I think you will see his agent arrange a buyout, and McGee goes to Golden State, Houston, maybe even Miami shows interest.

I don't want to lose Bradley for nothing, but I would part with him for Chris Paul. If OKC insists on Caruso being part of the package, then I would try to hold on to Bradley in the deal.

I like Kuzma, and prefer to keep him at least until we know that if we have a good wingman ready to come here. I wonder if Grant or Galanari are willing to come here on a one year deal, with the idea of re-signing next year when we have more cap room.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject:

Ideally, a starting backcourt of CP3 and Avery Bradley would be fantastic. CP3 and KCP would too tbh.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:
Rondo > CP3. CP3 has never shown he was a winner.

2 rings makes your laugh a reflection.

You must think Robert Horry is greater than MJ?

Rondo and CP3 are comparable players.

Neither is in the top 40 all-time. CP3 has had a better RS career, Rondo a better PS career.

So now let's create a whole new hyperbolic argument.

Ok...MJ is Top 3 all time by any measure. Horry isn't top 100 all time but is arguable6the greatest role player of all time so let's compare them.

Come on man stop it.

What's more absurd is that you're attempting to put CP3 at Jordan's level while comparing 2 role players at similar levels.

CP3 is not to Jordan as Rondo is to Horry.

Rondo and Horry are excellent role players.

CP3 doesn't deserve to be considered on any top 40 list.

Your insinuation is absurd.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
CRoost wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:

Yep, JaVale McGee WINNER. Chris Paul LOSER.

Playoff Rondo rises to the occasion. Still waiting for CP3 rises through injury through playoff.

The Lebrons should work for U-Haul...he's great at moving goal posts.

I laughed

High 5 Brother...that's the spirit. We need more levity. It's just a game and this is all just downtime speculation masquerading as a pending trade. It's agent season. How many rumors ever come true?

Great attitude. I appreciate you.

#BannersOverBillboards
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Ideally, a starting backcourt of CP3 and Avery Bradley would be fantastic. CP3 and KCP would too tbh.

We can't afford the salary demand of KCP.

Bradley is an high value two way player with his low salary

I would try the 3 way deal with the Hawks , trading Green, KCP S&T to the Hawks and others like McGee and Cook, but I would absolutely try to keep A.B.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:

Are they? This past season? We're talking about last season and acquiring CP3 for next season, not a career retrospective.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
CRoost wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:

Playoff Rondo rises to the occasion. Still waiting for CP3 rises through injury through playoff.

I laughed

High 5 Brother...that's the spirit. We need more levity. It's just a game and this is all just downtime speculation masquerading as a pending trade. It's agent season. How many rumors ever come true?

Honestly want to change my username to Mayor of Buddy Island.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:

Neither is in the top 40 all-time. CP3 has had a better RS career, Rondo a better PS career.

So now let's create a whole new hyperbolic argument.

Ok...MJ is Top 3 all time by any measure. Horry isn't top 100 all time but is arguable6the greatest role player of all time so let's compare them.

Come on man stop it.

What's more absurd is that you're attempting to put CP3 at Jordan's level while comparing 2 role players at similar levels.

CP3 is not to Jordan as Rondo is to Horry.

Rondo and Horry are excellent role players.

CP3 doesn't deserve to be considered on any top 40 list.

Your insinuation is absurd.

All NBA 2nd team player past his prime is comparable to Rondo of younger age?

NOPE.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
CRoost wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:

I laughed

Honestly want to change my username to Mayor of Buddy Island.

BWAHAHAHAHA...that'd be dope.

#BannersOverBillboards
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I'm talking about supporting talent.

We were reliant mostly on marginal NBA players who looked better than they were thanks to Shaq and Kobe.

Ron Harper, John Salley and AC Green were on their last legs and barely serviceable back then. Same with Horace Grant and Mitch Richmond when we got them.

Horry and Fox were the only real "quality" role players we had who weren't on their last legs.

If we trade for CP3, we'll probably have to sign guys like Harper, Green and Salley to fill out our roster who are old and slow and can barely play anymore. That will not get it done in today's NBA.

YOUR WORLD CHAMPION LOS ANGELES LAKERS

- Alex Caruso - undrafted D-Leaguer
- Dwight Howard - was all but out of the league
- JaVale McGee - Shaqtin' A Fool HOF on a minimum deal
- Rajon Rondo - had 2 forks sticking in him
- Jared Dudley . . . THE Jared Dudley . . .
- J.R. Effing Smith

The difference is that all of those guys (except maybe Smith) can play and are more than barely serviceable. Even Dudley is a good 3-point shooter.

hype wrote:
Orrr we can compare it to just last season how we got Dwight,Morris and Rondo all for the minimum and will likely get cousins this year on a prove it deal since he's been so injured. Even if we make the trade we'll likely still have THT, Caruso and Bradley at minimum to start. Possibly Dwight as well but that would obviously be more of a question mark. Just get one dimensional defensive guys and i'm sure a good player or two will be down for a minimum to start the year and another one or two towards the end of the year after buyouts. When you have AD, Lebron and CP3 you don't need much. We'd easily be the top destination for anyone taking minimum and im sure a few vets as well.

I don't think either direction is right/wrong but just simply bringing everyone back is nowhere close to a guaranteed win either with so many other teams possibly jumping in the contention ring again this next season.

So you'd be cool with several of our rotation players being "one-dimesional defensive guys" who can't hit shots or make plays on offense?

We can't automatically assume that quality role players in their 20s or early 30s will come to the Lakers for the vet min. More likely than not, we won't get players like that at such a low price.

We need to start stocking our team with quality supporting players who are in their 20s so that they will still contribute to our team even after LeBron seriously declines or leaves. Otherwise, we will resemble the 2004 Lakers who had 4 HOFs but no dependable role players or depth.

Well we are over the cap regardless and only really have the MLE to spend to get any true quality player to really improve. I'm completely fine with that though which is why I said it. Did you watch the Lakers this past post season? They were monumentally inconsistent outside of AD and Lebron. I'm not confident at all we'd be the clear favorites going into the Playoffs next season (we could be but there's going to be a very different looking West next season). For a two year win now window i'd personally go all in and risk it without thinking twice. I think by the end of the year we'd be better then last season and once we got in the Playoffs I feel confident we'd have a very solid Playoff rotation. A starting lineup in the Playoffs of CP3, Caruso (Or Bradley), Lebron, AD and Dwight sounds pretty great to me. I feel we can absolutely get 2-3 solid minimum players between this off season and from buyouts late in the year. Who knows what happens between Cousins and THT as well. It's a gamble, i'll admit that but staying pat is a big gamble as well imo if some of these other teams come back and improve.

On top of all that, having those 3 guys on the roster instantly makes nearly anyone much better who does join. The missing spots on the roster need to be nothing more then neutrals overall. If anyone comes in and does more then that we'll likely be on another entire level then any other team imo.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:

Are they? This past season? We're talking about last season and acquiring CP3 for next season, not a career retrospective.

Great screen names...

Rondo's Fist
CP3LUVSPLAYDO
Rings & Rondos
DimesRUs

Is CP3 a better player than Rondo when healthy? Yes.

Is CP3 an oft injured player? Yes.

Is Rondo a better Playoff player? Yes.

Is Rondo a better fit for our team due to contract, history, fit with AD and Bron, and knowledge of our team? Yes.

Does CP3's game elevate in the playoffs? No.

Does Rondo's game elevate in the playoffs? Yes.

Would acquiring CP3 cost us many assets? Yes.

Would acquiring Rondo cost us any assets? No.

If we were talking about signing CP3 or Rondo to the same contract without having to give anyone up I'd simply leave that up to Bron and AD. Their team. Their call.

But we talking about taking on EIGHTY FIVE MILLION over 2 seasons and giving up FIVE players and picks to do so.

That's Insane.

BTW I have Jordan #3 alltime...

KAJ, Bron, Kobe, Magic, MJ....oh I guess I have him 1,2,3,4...FIF.

#BannersOverBillboards
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:

Great screen names...

Rondo's Fist
CP3LUVSPLAYDO
Rings & Rondos
DimesRUs

Is Rondo a better fit for our team due to contract, history, fit with AD and Bron, and knowledge of our team? Yes.

If we were talking about signing CP3 or Rondo to the same contract without having to give anyone up I'd simply leave that up to Bron and AD. Their team. Their call.

But we talking about taking on EIGHTY FIVE MILLION over 2 seasons and giving up FIVE players and picks to do so.

That's Insane.

You're comparing Rondo who was the third option and often left absolutely wide open to a guy who was the #1 option on his team and nearly lead his heavily underdog team to winning the series. Those two roles are in no world comparable and I see no way you can say Rondo was better in the Playoffs?

Imagine cp3 having as much space and freedom as Rondo consistently did during our run.

Rondo balled out and played out of his mind taking advantage of whatever the defense gave him and he deserves all the credit in the world for that especially considering his contract but you're pretty much the only person i've ever seen that honestly believes Rondo is a better player in the Playoffs. He was the fourth option in the Boston Celtics run when he was much younger, he excelled in that without question but CP3 is a legitimate superstar who has been the leader and 1-1b option his entire career. Everything you said is purely your opinion and nowhere close to fact. That's fine but don't react to people with a different opinion and say much of those things as if they're facts.

I watched that entire Rockets, Thunder series and in no way was I watching a guy not as good as Rondo.....

The context of different roles and one guy having AD and Lebron to play off of is kind of a big deal on this comparison.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

By way Eric Pincus did a great podcast linked on the top of the forums discussing why depth is overrated especially at the 1 and 2. He correctly points out that work AB, Rondo, DG, and KCP, and Caruso well as THT in the wings we may have too much depth at the guard positions. There won’t be enough minutes to go around.

I would not trade Caruso. He was one of the most important guys on this year’s championship team and is a glue guy.

If we pull off this trade and get CP3 I don’t know if we have money to bring back Rondo, KCP, Dwight, or Morris. I think we would still have the mini MLe which is about 5.8 million or so? Maybe we can use that to get Harkless to join. Rest will have to be get minimums. Rondo and KCP are gone for sure I think. I don’t know how Bird rights work. If CP3 joins our team can we still go over the cap bit stay under the hard cap by resigning our guys to a 2 yr contract??

CP3 coming here takes us out of the Giannis sweepstakes in 2021 obviously bit that wouldn’t matter. As long as he stays healthy we are winning next 2 chips.
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:

Great screen names...

Rondo's Fist
CP3LUVSPLAYDO
Rings & Rondos
DimesRUs

That's Insane.

You're comparing Rondo who was the third option and often left absolutely wide open to a guy who was the #1 option on his team and nearly lead his heavily underdog team to winning the series. Those two roles are in no world comparable and I see no way you can say Rondo was better in the Playoffs?

Imagine cp3 having as much space and freedom as Rondo consistently did during our run.

Rondo balled out and played out of his mind taking advantage of whatever the defense gave him and he deserves all the credit in the world for that especially considering his contract but you're pretty much the only person i've ever seen that honestly believes Rondo is a better player in the Playoffs. He was the fourth option in the Boston Celtics run when he was much younger, he excelled in that without question but CP3 is a legitimate superstar who has been the leader and 1-1b option his entire career. Everything you said is purely your opinion and nowhere close to fact. That's fine but don't react to people with a different opinion and say much of those things as if they're facts.

I watched that entire Rockets, Thunder series and in no way was I watching a guy not as good as Rondo.....

The context of different roles and one guy having AD and Lebron to play off of is kind of a big deal on this comparison.

I think he is severely underrating Chris Paul as a player. And it was tough to keep reading when he had Jordan as #3 all time. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
slavavov wrote:

So you'd be cool with several of our rotation players being "one-dimesional defensive guys" who can't hit shots or make plays on offense?

We can't automatically assume that quality role players in their 20s or early 30s will come to the Lakers for the vet min. More likely than not, we won't get players like that at such a low price.

We need to start stocking our team with quality supporting players who are in their 20s so that they will still contribute to our team even after LeBron seriously declines or leaves. Otherwise, we will resemble the 2004 Lakers who had 4 HOFs but no dependable role players or depth.

Well we are over the cap regardless and only really have the MLE to spend to get any true quality player to really improve. I'm completely fine with that though which is why I said it. Did you watch the Lakers this past post season? They were monumentally inconsistent outside of AD and Lebron. I'm not confident at all we'd be the clear favorites going into the Playoffs next season (we could be but there's going to be a very different looking West next season). For a two year win now window i'd personally go all in and risk it without thinking twice. I think by the end of the year we'd be better then last season and once we got in the Playoffs I feel confident we'd have a very solid Playoff rotation. A starting lineup in the Playoffs of CP3, Caruso (Or Bradley), Lebron, AD and Dwight sounds pretty great to me. I feel we can absolutely get 2-3 solid minimum players between this off season and from buyouts late in the year. Who knows what happens between Cousins and THT as well. It's a gamble, i'll admit that but staying pat is a big gamble as well imo if some of these other teams come back and improve.

On top of all that, having those 3 guys on the roster instantly makes nearly anyone much better who does join. The missing spots on the roster need to be nothing more then neutrals overall. If anyone comes in and does more then that we'll likely be on another entire level then any other team imo.

The bold is actually a good argument for not having one-dimensional defensive guys next to LeBron, AD and CP3.

If that's who we have as rotation players 4-8, we will be a bad 3-point shooting team and lack guys who can run the wing in transition or cut to the hoop and finish. "Neutrals" will not get it done.

Totally agree with you we can't stand pat. But if we trade for CP3 we need to fill the rest of the roster in a smart way while having an eye on beyond 2022. Bringing in the kind of players you're talking about will leave us with an aging (and probably declining) Lebron and CP3 plus a bunch of role players who are old and done in 2022.

On the other hand, if we have at least a couple of real solid role players who are in their 20s or very early 30s, maybe I can get stoked about trading for CP3.

We always have to look at risks vs benefits and contingencies and that kind of stuff when acquiring a player.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
hype wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
dfchang813 wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:

Great screen names...

Rondo's Fist
CP3LUVSPLAYDO
Rings & Rondos
DimesRUs

That's Insane.

I think he is severely underrating Chris Paul as a player. And it was tough to keep reading when he had Jordan as #3 all time. 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

I'm not severely understating him...I'm severely hating on him.

I cant stand his attitude.

I cant stand his contract.

I cant stand how he puffs his chest out.

I cant stand him for all the ish he talked about us when he couldn't get out the 2nd round.

I can't stand how often he gets hurt in the POs.

I cant stand how it would cost us our depth and cost control.

I can't stand his age.

I can't stand his knees.

I cant stand how hard he fought for absurd supermax contracts and how Jeanie caved on that point to make sure we had a season.

I cant stand that he fought so hard for that knowing he would be one of the first beneficiaries.

I cant stand how everyone praises him but he's accomplished nothing of consequence but selling insurance.

I cant stand how pretty his eyes are.

I cant stand that I think he smells.

And I cant stand his Napoleon complex because it's disrespectful to Napoleon who won way more than he did.

I am hating on him.

Would rather keep KCP Rondo AC Kuz 28 and Dwight than see CP3 on the Lakers 10 years too late.

And I hate the he wears 3...that's AD's Number.

CP3 is to me as Toby is to Michael Scott.

#BannersOverBillboards
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject:

dfchang813 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

By way Eric Pincus did a great podcast linked on the top of the forums discussing why depth is overrated especially at the 1 and 2. He correctly points out that work AB, Rondo, DG, and KCP, and Caruso well as THT in the wings we may have too much depth at the guard positions. There won’t be enough minutes to go around.

I would not trade Caruso. He was one of the most important guys on this year’s championship team and is a glue guy.

If we pull off this trade and get CP3 I don’t know if we have money to bring back Rondo, KCP, Dwight, or Morris. I think we would still have the mini MLe which is about 5.8 million or so? Maybe we can use that to get Harkless to join. Rest will have to be get minimums. Rondo and KCP are gone for sure I think. I don’t know how Bird rights work. If CP3 joins our team can we still go over the cap bit stay under the hard cap by resigning our guys to a 2 yr contract??

CP3 coming here takes us out of the Giannis sweepstakes in 2021 obviously bit that wouldn’t matter. As long as he stays healthy we are winning next 2 chips.

Assuming at minimum Green/Kuz/Cook fully guaranteed/2020 1st go out as the only contracts definitely that are on our books as of right now...

Cp3 41.4m
Bron 39.2m
AD 32.7m
AC 2.8m
THT 1.5m
ntpMLE 9.3m (hard caps us)
BAE 3.6m (hard caps us also)
5 incomplete roster spots 4.5m
= 135m in team salary and only 4m away from the apron

This is why getting that Deng cap exclusion is so important.

Completing the roster with vet mins like Melo, Korver, Jeff Green, Dudz, Troy Daniels, Mike Penberthy etc is doable as long as our total team salary is below 139m when it’s all said and done with. Of course there is some flex by not using the fullBAE/MLE or having to get off other contracts like THT and AC. Of course we can always bypass the apron limitation by using the tpMLE instead.

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject:

If we trade for CP3 and somehow keep Bradley, can you imagine a bench backcourt of Bradley and Caruso? Imagine the energy and defense they would bring! Plus, both those guards are great at moving without the ball and good in transition. If Caruso becomes a consistently good 3-point shooter (he pretty much was the 2nd half of the regular season), even better!

Add two serviceable 2-way forwards in their 20s or at least early 30s through free agency who have athleticism, add two centers using the vet min (hopefully Howard is one of them) and now we can have a beastly roster.

PG: CP3, Bradley
SG: (FA), Caruso, THT
SF: LeBron, (2nd FA)
PF: AD, (2nd FA)
C: ?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 67, 68, 69  Next
Page 32 of 69
Jump to: