Shams: Lakers Requesting Career Ending Injury Application for Luol Deng’s Contract (League Denied It)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Adam Silver was not gonna face the type of heat that he would have faced, giving the World Champion Lakers, who just killed free agency, an extra 5 mil to spend. Teams would have went Ape $hit and would have been screaming conspiracy

Silver ultimately works for 30 owners.

29 of those owners are now happy.

This was never getting approved, but I’m glad they tried. It speaks to a thorough process to exhaust all options to improve.

I think the reality is that we didn't deserve it. We bought out Deng and he signed on and played with another team. The notion that he got a career-ending injury with us always seemed far-fetched.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject:

Can we make deng play this season? Doubtful we'd want him too, but just curious.
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I get that, but giving them 4 year deals wouldn't have made Jim any closer to that goal. Deng at that point in his career was already no longer an all-star.

I'm not sure what the logic on Mozgov was, but with Deng if memory serves correctly the Wizards offered him a three year deal and the Lakers trumped it by giving him the fourth year.

I remember very well. Wizard wanted to offer him a 3y deal, but it was also less money. In the end Lakers overpay massively for a player who was over his prime, even if he had a good year with Miami. Mozgov's contract was just crass incompetence. He did nothing in his career to justify such a contract.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
Can we make deng play this season? Doubtful we'd want him too, but just curious.

That would be amazing
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Adam Silver was not gonna face the type of heat that he would have faced, giving the World Champion Lakers, who just killed free agency, an extra 5 mil to spend. Teams would have went Ape $hit and would have been screaming conspiracy

Silver ultimately works for 30 owners.

29 of those owners are now happy.

This was never getting approved, but I’m glad they tried. It speaks to a thorough process to exhaust all options to improve.

I think the reality is that we didn't deserve it. We bought out Deng and he signed on and played with another team. The notion that he got a career-ending injury with us always seemed far-fetched.

Yeah this was a Hail Mary attempt to circumvent the rules. Worth a shot, but this is not because the league is out to get us.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

<snip>

Yeah this was a Hail Mary attempt to circumvent the rules. Worth a shot, but this is not because the league is out to get us.

The hallmark of a good management team - leave no stone unturned, wins are not guaranteed but effort always leads to wins.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Someone explain to me again... What was the rationale for the Mozdeng signings in the first place?

My understanding is the idea was Mozdeng would help make the Lakers competitive enough to attract an actual star FA the season after. But how could Mitch have seriously thought that?

Imagine having D’Angelo Russell on our current team.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
I Love LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Someone explain to me again... What was the rationale for the Mozdeng signings in the first place?

My understanding is the idea was Mozdeng would help make the Lakers competitive enough to attract an actual star FA the season after. But how could Mitch have seriously thought that?

I don’t even want to relive that fiasco.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

My understanding was that we're gonna stick with our young core all the way and not sign any superstars for the next 4 years, so they'd sign veterans that would mentor the young core of Dlo, Ingram, Randle, Clarkson and possibly Tatum or Lonzo. In other words, Mitch was gonna do the rebuild the Golden State way

I love basketball. *Metta voice*
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

It was a Hail Mary from Jim Buss. He knew his last chance to keep his job was to get into the playoffs. So rather than trying to continue the rebuild, he threw the dice on a couple of ridiculously overpaid old vets on the wild chance they would come through. And if they didn’t, and he lost his position anyway, a side benefit of the long huge contracts is that the new leadership would be so hampered that he might end up looking good in comparison. Ugghhhh!

Last edited by markjay on Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

It was a Hail Mary from Jim Buss. He knew his last chance to keep his job was to get into the playoffs. So rather than trying to continue the rebuild, he threw the dice on a couple of ridiculously overpaid old bets on the wild chance they would come through. And if they didn’t, and he lost his position anyway, a side benefit of the long huge contracts is that the new leadership would be so hampered that he might end up looking good in comparison. Ugghhhh!

Mitch was expecting another amnesty provision
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:

No. When a team buys a player out, they relinquish all rights to him. If Deng decided to come back to the NBA, he would be an unrestricted free agent.
business101
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Mitch is the gift that kept on giving. He just signed Hayward to a 4yrs $120mil contract.

The stark constant between Mitch and Pelinka. I must admit, despite being an inexperienced GM, he had impressed a lot of people with his trade and especially the signing of players. He really knows how to estimate a player's worth and give out an excellent contract.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject:

business101 wrote:
Mitch is the gift that kept on giving. He just signed Hayward to a 4yrs $120mil contract.

The stark constant between Mitch and Pelinka. I must admit, despite being an inexperienced GM, he had impressed a lot of people with his trade and especially the signing of players. He really knows how to estimate a player's worth and give out an excellent contract.

Yeah, Mitch really fooled people with the Gasol trade. The rumor is that he was actually trying to trade Odom for Mike Miller, and then Chris Wallace suggested the Gasol trade instead.

Guy was a mediocre GM at best.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject:

Oh if we were able to keep Marc rights....
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
markjay wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

It was a Hail Mary from Jim Buss. He knew his last chance to keep his job was to get into the playoffs. So rather than trying to continue the rebuild, he threw the dice on a couple of ridiculously overpaid old bets on the wild chance they would come through. And if they didn’t, and he lost his position anyway, a side benefit of the long huge contracts is that the new leadership would be so hampered that he might end up looking good in comparison. Ugghhhh!

Who makes two terrible signings with the expectation that you may have the chance to partially get out of one of them if a provision is negotiated that is not presently available??
SPO200
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
markjay wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Who makes two terrible signings with the expectation that you may have the chance to partially get out of one of them if a provision is negotiated that is not presently available??

Mitch and Jim
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject:

SPO200 wrote:
markjay wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
markjay wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Mitch and Jim

Dumb and Dumber.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject:

Nice to hear Deng is doing ok, and eeking by on $5mil per year:

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/retired-nba-player-deng-coaches-south-sudan-at-tournament/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9
Jump to: