Dodgers 2021 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 391, 392, 393, 394, 395  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject:

I’ve read articles about declining ratings in the NFL and NBA too in the last decade or two. Young people have a lot more forms of entertainment that older people didn’t have back in 1990.

Baseball definitely has the most concerning situation though.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
^That’s true about it being a slower paced sport.

I do think adding rounds makes the playoffs seem slower paced fwiw. The first two years the Dodgers made the playoffs under the new format in 1995 and 1996, there were A LOT of empty seats and the attendance made it look a lot more like a regular season game. That wouldn’t happen in the format before 1995.

I wonder how the sport will be when Generation Z are in their late teens, early 20s. I have 20 nephews and nieces (I have a LOT of brothers and sisters) and not a single one cares for baseball. Some of them follow basketball but that's about it. They've been swiping touchscreens since they were toddlers so I can't see a sport this slow hold their attention.

True, and that reliance on tech benefits the newer stadiums that are built around high speed access. Imagine going to football game and having a screen in front of you showing the Red Zone channel, or a basketball arena where you can watch highlights from around the league. I’ve been to Levi stadium and the internet access there is amazing.

As for slow vs faster paced sports, I still love listening to a baseball game on the radio. We were camping when the Dodger-Brave series began and listened to games on radio all weekend. If I could only watch one sport for the rest of my life, it would be the NHL. Nothing is as much fun as a hockey game.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject:

^
Hockey is fantastic, and the Stanley Cup playoffs are incredible. But that labor unrest in the 90's killed the sport in America. They lost the ESPN contract, and only now have they gotten that back. The sport just lost so much interest here.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
^I always wonder how much expanding the playoffs hurt the sport. Wild cards made the regular season division races less meaningful, and making the playoffs became much easier. It was a HUGE deal to make the playoffs before 1995. Sometimes more means there is too much of a good thing.

Also in football, each round only takes one win to advance, giving it more of an NCAA tournament feel, both with upsets and with each team being one loss away from elimination. In baseball if you miss a game, you can watch game 2, game 3, game 4, etc.

And yet baseball wants to significantly expand the playoffs anyway.

I don't think it has to do with the playoff format. Baseball is just a slower-paced sport, and young people prefer the NFL and even the NBA in far greater numbers. Baseball is largely a sport watched by older folks. It's also more of a regional sport, which the NFL is not. I do agree that the lockout in the 90's and losing a World Series damaged the sport significantly, although it recovered fairly well with Ripken breaking Gehrig's games streak and then the McGwire/Sosa home run chase.

While baseball is doing fine financially, it's the national pastime in name only.

Baseball and its culture are also old-fashioned. It's the kind of game where your dad takes you to Dodger Stadium when you're 6 years old and tells you about Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale. When your dad was little, his dad took him to a game and talked about going to a Brooklyn Dodgers game back when your family lived in the NYC area, and so on.

Football and basketball are more about going to a game with your friends, getting drunk, painting your face and talking trash to players on the other team. For my generation and Gen Z at least, that's so much more exciting.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
^That’s true about it being a slower paced sport.

I do think adding rounds makes the playoffs seem slower paced fwiw. The first two years the Dodgers made the playoffs under the new format in 1995 and 1996, there were A LOT of empty seats and the attendance made it look a lot more like a regular season game. That wouldn’t happen in the format before 1995.

I wonder how the sport will be when Generation Z are in their late teens, early 20s. I have 20 nephews and nieces (I have a LOT of brothers and sisters) and not a single one cares for baseball. Some of them follow basketball but that's about it. They've been swiping touchscreens since they were toddlers so I can't see a sport this slow hold their attention.

Theres a reason why baseball has taken strides to speed up the game. To reach a new generation of fans they cannot have games with no time limit. Also theres a 162 game season, which is a drag for pretty much anyone except the most diehard baseball fan.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject:

I think moneyball had some impact on fan interest in baseball.. in some ways, it devalued star presence as major key to success.

you can have a fairly successful team and not have one all star.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
As much as it sucks to see cheaters rewarded, I am tired of teams that have no business winning, winning it all like the 2014 Giants and 2011 Cardinals. I personally would rather see juggernauts like the 1998 Yankees, 2007 Red Sox, 2013 Red Sox, 2016 Cubs and 2020 Dodgers win it all as teams that deserve to be there. I lump the 2021 Braves in that prior category.

i agree with your sentiment, i can never root for any team that just knocked my Dodgers out of the postseason. Let Astros win another WS, every WS they win here on out gonna be tinted no matter what so i don't give a rats arse if they win another one. As for the Braves, i just hate their fanbase, i got into baseball during the early 90s when Dodgers and Braves are still in the same NL West, i couldn't stand Sid Bream, Smoltz, Avery, Mark Lemky etc, etc, etc, just as i can't stand Mr. Teeth Freddy Freeman and that cocky one hit wonder SOB Rosario.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
As much as it sucks to see cheaters rewarded, I am tired of teams that have no business winning, winning it all like the 2014 Giants and 2011 Cardinals. I personally would rather see juggernauts like the 1998 Yankees, 2007 Red Sox, 2013 Red Sox, 2016 Cubs and 2020 Dodgers win it all as teams that deserve to be there. I lump the 2021 Braves in that prior category.

i agree with your sentiment, i can never root for any team that just knocked my Dodgers out of the postseason. Let Astros win another WS, every WS they win here on out gonna be tinted no matter what so i don't give a rats arse if they win another one. As for the Braves, i just hate their fanbase, i got into baseball during the early 90s when Dodgers and Braves are still in the same NL West, i couldn't stand Sid Bream, Smoltz, Avery, Mark Lemky etc, etc, etc, just as i can't stand Mr. Teeth Freddy Freeman and that cocky one hit wonder SOB Rosario.

Man, couldn't disagree more...lol

The way these Astro fans (and players) act, they don't deserve anything. They are the cockiest MF's ever.

They cheated Kershaw out of a legendary postseason run, they cheated Ethier out of getting a ring, Yasiel as well so, no, hope they lose and hope that team never sniffs any type of success for the foreseeable future.

And Freddie Freeman is probably the classiest, nicest player currently in MLB
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Man I have a feeling Atlanta is gonna choke this series away. I hope I am wrong of course.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
Man I have a feeling Atlanta is gonna choke this series away. I hope I am wrong of course.

If the Braves can't close out tonite then all the pressure is on them...Houston is winning game 7 most likely.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Monster blast by Soler. 3-0 Braves. Let's go!!!

Last edited by aprevo15 on Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Soler is a monster! Let's go Atlanta
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Boy Soler hit that one all the way back to Atlanta

3-0 Braves as Dusty Baker can be seen shouting an expletive on that bomb
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Please please hold on the lead! Finish these POS cheaters tonite.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

The disgusting thing is winning the title this year would validate the 2017 title to a lot of fans and media.

That 2017 loss is the most painful one to me as a Dodger fan and the loss that affects me the most. That was a special team. And Kershaw probably has 2 rings and 2017 would have been his best postseason if the Astros didn’t know which pitches were coming.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

The disgusting thing is winning the title this year would validate the 2017 title to a lot of fans and media.

That 2017 loss is the most painful one to me as a Dodger fan and the loss that affects me the most. That was a special team. And Kershaw probably has 2 rings and 2017 would have been his best postseason if the Astros didn’t know which pitches were coming.

This is exactly what I've been chirping. If they win it, they can say "oh but we won it without cheating" and somehow use that to give credence to their ill-gotten 2017 title. F these guys.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:

POS is right. Their "everyone is doing it" attitude is just disgusting. Especially the fans. The fans still won't admit that their team cheated. They claim that all the teams do it anyways so its part of the game. What makes it worse is that they put an asterisk in the Dodgers WS win since it was a shorten season while their WS win was legit. LOL.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
ksmgf wrote:

POS is right. Their "everyone is doing it" attitude is just disgusting. Especially the fans. The fans still won't admit that their team cheated. They claim that all the teams do it anyways so its part of the game. What makes it worse is that they put an asterisk in the Dodgers WS win since it was a shorten season while their WS win was legit. LOL.

(bleep) Altuve, (bleep) Correa, (bleep) racist POS Gurriel and (bleep) Houston fans.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Soler looks like the throwback 90s monster batter...
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject:

I have something to say, but am holding back until the game finishes (to not jinx it).
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Need to cash in Ozzie here.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Wow - Dansby with a 2-run shot.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

This is exactly what I've been chirping. If they win it, they can say "oh but we won it without cheating" and somehow use that to give credence to their ill-gotten 2017 title. F these guys.

100% both of your posts
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject:

I don't see how the Astros can legitimize their 2017 WS... it will always be tainted, whether they win another one or not.

having said that, point is moot... they pulled some Ocean's 11 stunt and got away with it with a slap in the wrist, same with Red Sox in 2018
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Wow, Max only threw 50 pitches so far, and he's already through 5 innings.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 391, 392, 393, 394, 395  Next
Page 392 of 395
Jump to: