2021 Summer League Thread (completed)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Umm, is 21 > 11 ???

Ok, Ayayi got no explosive first step but he can shoot threes

Ayayi is pretty bad to be honest.

Yeah, Reaves is legit. Is Ayayi 2 way contract locked in or can he be paid/waived then we sign another player?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Let’s Go SL Lakers!

The pistons summer league squad is legit, lol even without Cade Cunningham.
Whoever is coaching the Lakers SL squad is frustrating to watch, refusing to play the guys we actually signed to extended minutes
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Umm, is 21 > 11 ???

Yeah, Reaves is legit. Is Ayayi 2 way contract locked in or can he be paid/waived then we sign another player?

I believe we can switch to another player. Reaves hasn’t shown the ability to knock down open 3s, so g league is for him
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Let’s Go SL Lakers!

Whoever is coaching the Lakers SL squad is frustrating to watch, refusing to play the guys we actually signed to extended minutes

Tonight is our last night of SL, isn’t it?

Hmmm.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
TDRock wrote:
Let’s Go SL Lakers!

Tonight is our last night of SL, isn’t it?

Hmmm.

One more game
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
governator wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Umm, is 21 > 11 ???

I believe we can switch to another player. Reaves hasn’t shown the ability to knock down open 3s, so g league is for him

Yup, def not consistent on his 3s. Gets to the rim/shake off defender pretty good but can’t finish… G-League prospect is about right. Glad to hear we can switch the 2-way contract, Ayayi gotta show something
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Not a good sequence for Floyd in the last 4 possessions in a row.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject:

I imagine that the sheer terror induced by seeing Lebron and Russ in the crowd will throw off just about everyone's game.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject:

People that were low on Luka Garza for some reason are looking very silly right now.

Dude was a perfect fit for us here: Great rebounder, and very good shooter at Center, smart passing big man.

REALLY wish we bought a 2nd round pick for either him or Jericho Sims. Very silly of the FO to not do it when we have no developing Centers on the team.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject:

I probably shouldn’t say since I really didn’t see much of the summer league games but yeah I’m not really seeing anything particularly stand out.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
People that were low on Luka Garza for some reason are looking very silly right now.

Dude was a perfect fit for us here: Great rebounder, and very good shooter at Center, smart passing big man.

REALLY wish we bought a 2nd round pick for either him or Jericho Sims. Very silly of the FO to not do it when we have no developing Centers on the team.

Teams value picks a lot more than before now, so buying one is not as easy
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Well I was one of those people low on him and still am.

There is a reason he went 52nd in the 2nd round despite the numbers he put up. He looks good when matched up against smaller defenders as he uses his size and strength to win on the court. However he loses this advantage in the league. The Michigan game was a clear example as he struggled with the length and strength of Dickerson. How will he execute against not only the strength and length of NBA defenders but also their superior athletic ability.

However the major problem lies on the defensive side. This most likely was the factor that dropped his draft stock. He is a major liability attempting to guard outside of the paint. Even in the paint he offers little rim protection Teams will exploit this weakness to the nth degree.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Summer league highlights
AJ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Best part of the night was the kid freaking out and then throwing shade on LBJ on nat'l tv lol.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers final Summer League game will be on Tuesday.

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Megaton wrote:

There is a reason he went 52nd in the 2nd round despite the numbers he put up. He looks good when matched up against smaller defenders as he uses his size and strength to win on the court. However he loses this advantage in the league. The Michigan game was a clear example as he struggled with the length and strength of Dickerson. How will he execute against not only the strength and length of NBA defenders but also their superior athletic ability.

However the major problem lies on the defensive side. This most likely was the factor that dropped his draft stock. He is a major liability attempting to guard outside of the paint. Even in the paint he offers little rim protection Teams will exploit this weakness to the nth degree.

Eh, you can teach a player to play better defense. And a player can get more fit, which allows them to be more mobile. Marc Gasol is a prime example of this when he was a fat and slow big coming in the league, and he turned into a defensive powerhouse with good outside shooting.

Luka is looking more fit. If he works hard, I think that whole thing will be way overstated and make scouts look more and more foolish. I mean using "there was a reason he was picked 52" is nor really a great argument either. I guess there was a reason Nikola Jokic was picked 41?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject:

Hard pass on Garza.

First of all, LAL would have had to buy a 2nd rounder. Even then, I still would have likely picked Sims.

Marc Gasol is a prime example of defensive IQ being timing based despite being "fat and slow" when he was a rookie. He's also the most outlier All Defensive Player of all time, so chances are, there's not a great reference.

Jokic slipped in the draft because he was too skinny and people didn't believe he couldn't build his body, but there's a giant divide between Jokic's skill set back then vs Garza.

That's why Sengun went 16th and Garza didn't. Another draft twitter team didn't want to repeat the same mistake.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

Summer league isn't about winning or losing. It's about evaluating players on this roster.
Generally, the teams that do best in summer league don't do well in the regular season.
Same goes for pre-season.
These are games to try out new talent, new plays, new combinations of players.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Summer league isn't about winning or losing. It's about evaluating players on this roster.
Generally, the teams that do best in summer league don't do well in the regular season.
Same goes for pre-season.
These are games to try out new talent, new plays, new combinations of players.

The Pistons were playing 3 starters and two key bench guys during summer league too.

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Hard pass on Garza.

First of all, LAL would have had to buy a 2nd rounder. Even then, I still would have likely picked Sims.

Marc Gasol is a prime example of defensive IQ being timing based despite being "fat and slow" when he was a rookie. He's also the most outlier All Defensive Player of all time, so chances are, there's not a great reference.

Jokic slipped in the draft because he was too skinny and people didn't believe he couldn't build his body, but there's a giant divide between Jokic's skill set back then vs Garza.

That's why Sengun went 16th and Garza didn't. Another draft twitter team didn't want to repeat the same mistake.

I’m gonna remember this post Mike! And if Garza turns out to be really good, I’m going to….most likely do nothing because I’ll probably forget anyway. BUT ILL TRY TO REMEMBER NOW!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hard pass on Garza.

I’m gonna remember this post Mike! And if Garza turns out to be really good, I’m going to….most likely do nothing because I’ll probably forget anyway. BUT ILL TRY TO REMEMBER NOW!

Every year there's hits and misses. No professional scout is even 70% right, and there's only 1 guy I know that is, and he's in the league.

Garza is not a miss I'll ever worry about.

PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Eh, you can teach a player to play better defense. And a player can get more fit, which allows them to be more mobile. Marc Gasol is a prime example of this when he was a fat and slow big coming in the league, and he turned into a defensive powerhouse with good outside shooting.

Luka is looking more fit. If he works hard, I think that whole thing will be way overstated and make scouts look more and more foolish. I mean using "there was a reason he was picked 52" is nor really a great argument either. I guess there was a reason Nikola Jokic was picked 41?

The bolded is not my argument. It was an indicator that there are issues with his game as how it translates to the NBA. What I wrote after that statement are my arguments.

Yes there are outliers to every case but for every Gasol and Jokic there are literally 100's if not 1000's who fail due to the issues I noted.

I do give him credit for already losing a lot of weight (~30 lbs) but he still was at the bottom at the combine testing including worst vertical jump and 3 qtr sprint. Not sure how much more he can improve in this regard.

I have no doubt he can learn to play defense. I do doubt he will be able to effectively execute what he learns against NBA athletes.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject:

Austin Reaves needs to be more aggressive. He's really good, but he seems to hold back. He's a nice guy and I say that because it seems like he worries about his teammates feelings. They're not getting enough touches. He's a rookie, so he has to take a back seat. NO! You grab the bull by the horns, take charge, and distance yourself. The reason we lose is because we have no leader. One that demands excellence. One that puts their foot on the pedal. He, to my opinion has the most basketball iq out there and seems to have the best feel for the game, but he's a little too subtle with his approach; like I shot once, now it's your turn. Just go out there and ball out, and ball to win, not ball to be nice.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Austin Reaves needs to be more aggressive. He's really good, but he seems to hold back. He's a nice guy and I say that because it seems like he worries about his teammates feelings. They're not getting enough touches. He's a rookie, so he has to take a back seat. NO! You grab the bull by the horns, take charge, and distance yourself. The reason we lose is because we have no leader. One that demands excellence. One that puts their foot on the pedal. He, to my opinion has the most basketball iq out there and seems to have the best feel for the game, but he's a little too subtle with his approach; like I shot once, now it's your turn. Just go out there and ball out, and ball to win, not ball to be nice.

I actually thought he has been too aggressive attempting to drive to the basket and has been stymied by NBA type athletes. I would like to see him work more off ball and diversify his offense to include more 3pt and mid-range shots. He should get better open looks vs. trying to create off the dribble.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Hard pass on Garza.

Every year there's hits and misses. No professional scout is even 70% right, and there's only 1 guy I know that is, and he's in the league.

Garza is not a miss I'll ever worry about.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JLEdwardsIII/status/1426753899915010048

Quote:
Garza: "I know every guy in the NBA can beat me in a 3/4 court sprint. I know that. But is everyone going to run that hard in the game? No, but I'm going to."

You’re so on Mike!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15
Jump to: