DWIGHT HOWARD Officially Back Part III Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

The way Russ finds bigs on the PNR is one of the reasons I think they should start Dwight. Dwight will catch lobs like never before. Or at the minimum they should be on the floor together. Our past guards missed Dwight so many times rolling to the basket or when he would have his opponent sealed under the basket.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject:

double post

Last edited by Dr. Laker on Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
The way Russ finds bigs on the PNR is one of the reasons I think they should start Dwight. Dwight will catch lobs like never before. Or at the minimum they should be on the floor together. Our past guards missed Dwight so many times rolling to the basket or when he would have his opponent sealed under the basket.

Dwight no longer gets the superstar whistle and his foul rate/100 has skyrocketed the past 3 seasons.

Because of that, you need to employ him where:

1 - he will have the most impact, and
2 - stay on the floor the longest.

Coming off of the bench gives Dwight an opportunity to see how the refs are calling the game, while also avoiding the dreaded two-quick-fouls-to-open-the-game. Also, playing at the end of quarters when some of the opposing stars are resting will conserve Dwight's fouls, as well.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject:

The more I consider it, the more I love that D39 is back

It’s already shown to an extent in his return videos, but he’s an absolute positive presence to have around the team. Knows his role, but keeps an upbeat vibe no matter what

If he can produce production that’s even similar to what he did for us in 19-20, he’ll be invaluable
#18 next...
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

I honestly reckon (when Bron/AD are healthy) Russ will be playing a fair few minutes with the bench squad. This will allow Russ and D39 to play a comfortable PnR/lob game quite consistently

Dwight will always have a great playmaker on the floor with him, whether it be Russ or Bron
#18 next...
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:

It’s already shown to an extent in his return videos, but he’s an absolute positive presence to have around the team. Knows his role, but keeps an upbeat vibe no matter what

If he can produce production that’s even similar to what he did for us in 19-20, he’ll be invaluable

His efficiency compared to when he was with us dropped significantly on Philly

He was 72.9% from the Field when he was with us. It dropped to 58.7% in Philly which was his lowest efficiency since 2017 and the losing of athleticism became more and more apparent on Philly.

But Lakers fans will see it soon enough. Maybe LeBron can hide it.

He started 6 times in Philly and his numbers were as follows

9 points 3 rebounds 0 blocks
11 points 11 rebounds 0 blocks
8 points 18 rebounds 3 blocks
5 points 4 rebounds 1 block
10 points 7 rebounds 0 blocks
5 points 7 rebounds 0 blocks

Take from it what you will.

Last edited by MJST on Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

His efficiency compared to when he was with us dropped significantly on Philly

He was 72.9% from the Field when he was with us. It dropped to 58.7% in Philly which was his lowest efficiency since 2017 and the losing of athleticism became more and more apparent on Philly.

But Lakers fans will see it soon enough. Maybe LeBron can hide it.

I disagree and so did the FO… that’s why they rushed to sign him immediately when free agency began.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject:

For the record he started 6 times in Philly and his numbers were as follows

Here are his registered games with blocks during the season

3 Blocks: 4 Games (1 as a starter)
2 Blocks: 13 Games
1 Blocks: 21 Games (1 as a starter)
0 Blocks: 28 Games

For the record here's Montrezl Harrell's block stats from last year in his off the bench center role.

3 Blocks: 2 Games
2 Blocks: 9 Games
1 Blocks: 22 Games (1 as a starter)
0 Blocks: 33 Games

Take from them whatever you'd like.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

For the record here's Montrezl Harrell's block stats from last year in his off the bench center role.

Appreciate that….but how many shots did he change….and how many players avoided to challenge him….all big factors. I love the signing….hated that he left and hope he and the Lakers have an amazing year.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
MJST wrote:

Appreciate that….but how many shots did he change….and how many players avoided to challenge him….all big factors. I love the signing….hated that he left and hope he and the Lakers have an amazing year.

The interesting thing is, the frequency with which players attacked the rim last season, and this season was essentially the same. So Dwight/McGee didn't discourage other teams from going to the basket anymore than Gasol/Harrell did in terms of frequency. And we were the best defensive team in the league by a wide margin. So I think a lot of it has to do with perception more than what actually happened.

I will bash Vogel consistently for his inability on offense and his horrible use of talent on the offensive end. idiotic coaching decisions and rotational skills. But he will always be an elite defensive coach.

I would hope it's more of the same this year, unless Dwight has lost another step, which I hope he hasn't.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers Dwight Howard and San Antonio Spurs Lonnie Walker work on tough defensive dribble with weight and without weight at the end of the workout when they are tired with trainer Mrdoitmoving aka mike g.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
Lakers Dwight Howard and San Antonio Spurs Lonnie Walker work on tough defensive dribble with weight and without weight at the end of the workout when they are tired with trainer Mrdoitmoving aka mike g.

The asian guy is Mike our moderator? awesome
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

The asian guy is Mike our moderator? awesome

No. That's not him.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:

AD needs to workout with Dwight. He's in great shape.
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

AD needs to workout with Dwight. He's in great shape.

I know not everything has to be on social media, but I would love to see some AD workout videos.. wonder what he's been up to
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:12 am    Post subject:

Yep Dwight looked solid and still can move on D. Huge difference to Marc and Dre from last year. Our bigs just couldn’t cover ground nor had that physicality inside. I don’t think Dwight is more than a 15-20 minutes guy for this team, but it’s a needed weapon.

I hope we start AD, then use Dwight as an energy physical big off the bench. Perhaps we will go the opposite route and start Dwight and bring AD as the backup 5, but I worry about spacing on offense with Westbrook, Bron, AD, Dwight. Regular season, maybe that’s our plan with the 5th starter being Baze or whomever can win the starting 2 guard spot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject:

PS we probably got Dwight on a bargain looking back on it. Had he stayed here two straight years we get his early bird rights. And he probably wants a little pay upgrade. Even if market value is at vet min, likely we end up keeping him a little above that. Now we got him at a vet min, and I believe a percentage of that is paid by the league. Pretty solid bargain. Considering Trez cost us a full MLE.

We will need to load manage these guys. Bron, Dwight, Melo, Ariza. I would do no B2Bs. No 4 games in 6 days. Give the 4th game off. Etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

Who starts should depend on the opposing center. Howard should start against Jodic, Embliid , etc.

Marc when there is need to stretch the floor.

They both fill different needs.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
PS we probably got Dwight on a bargain looking back on it. Had he stayed here two straight years we get his early bird rights. And he probably wants a little pay upgrade. Even if market value is at vet min, likely we end up keeping him a little above that. Now we got him at a vet min, and I believe a percentage of that is paid by the league. Pretty solid bargain. Considering Trez cost us a full MLE.

We will need to load manage these guys. Bron, Dwight, Melo, Ariza. I would do no B2Bs. No 4 games in 6 days. Give the 4th game off. Etc.

This should be true because the vet min scales based on seniority. The team pays something like $900k-$1M of the salary, and any difference left is covered by the league. The reason being that the league doesn't want to see the long-time vets discriminated against because of the minimum salary cost for them compared to a rookie or player with just a few years experience.

I do wonder how that works for teams paying the luxury tax, though. If a team such as ours has to pay luxury tax on the minimum salaries, then it kind of goes against the purpose for the league subsidizing the vet minimum contracts since that could theoretically put a vet like Carmelo out of a job in favor of some undrafted rookie.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

I don’t want to get ahead of myself but if Dwight wins another championship with the Lakers he should get his jersey retired.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I don’t want to get ahead of myself but if Dwight wins another championship with the Lakers he should get his jersey retired.

Retired jerseys are for the impact stars, IG.

Dwight is a role player just here to play the Rodman role.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I wish they change that rule, retired jerseys should be for difference makers aswell especially for someone who is well known and would potentially be helping the same team win another championship.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I wish they change that rule, retired jerseys should be for difference makers aswell especially for someone who is well known and would potentially be helping the same team win another championship.

No. If they do I can think of 10 guys before Dwight to get their jerseys retired
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Fisher's jersey would far more deserve to be retired before Dwight's. Orlando is the place Dwight's jersey should be retired. Now had Dwight never abandoned us in 2013 and stayed till 2021 and was on the cusp of winning 2 Championships, then yeah he'd be in the conversation.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Fisher's jersey would far more deserve to be retired before Dwight's. Orlando is the place Dwight's jersey should be retired. Now had Dwight never abandoned us in 2013 and stayed till 2021 and was on the cusp of winning 2 Championships, then yeah he'd be in the conversation.

If role players were considered then Fisher and Horry would get their jersey retired before Dwight.

I don’t see it happening though…at least not with the Lakers. Stars jerseys are retired, not guys who just execute in their role.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17
Jump to: