Is it time to PANIC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject:

We went 0-8 in preseason with Nash, Howard, Kobe, and Gasol. That team managed to fight and claw their way to 17-24 halfway through the season! I firmly believe this team can do it too!!! We Believe! 😝
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject:

Time to panic for sure!

Wait, this just in..

Lakers, Bucks, Utah, Denver, and Clippettes are a combined 2-13 in preseason. Granted we are bringing up the rear but we're not alone on a island.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:

Glad we got Dwight back and I wish we could have gotten Javale too. They are both lengthy and quick running defenders. That was a magical championship lineup that should have been kept together longer. The old saying if it's working to try to fix it.

I agree completely. Seemingly 5 minutes after we beat everyone in the league convincingly, someone decided that 2/3 of our bigs who produced 20 blocks in a game, and dunked on everyone, who got in the way, wasn't good enough. It occurred to mgmt: Let's ti ker with balanced championship chemistry, bringing in guys whose defense, offense, and in 2 of 3 cases, personality, doesn't fit. When they tried to patch up mistakes with washed up center #2, it only got worse. Then everyone blamed it on injury while chemistry was wrong all year long.

Oh, and we gave away a valuable draft pick for the privilege of tinkering. As you said, if it ain't broke, fix it.

Now we pieced a team together, but the defense is likely to suffer with the loss of significant defenders.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject:

The fact that we've already had several injuries is concerning. It's almost shades of the 2012-13 season when everyone got injured starting with the 2nd game of the season.

On the other hand, I remember Derek Fisher getting hurt in the preseason in 2000-01 and 2001-02. Pau injured his hamstring in the 2009-10 preseason and missed the first few weeks of the season.

Winning these last two preseason games would go a long way in stabilizing the situation. Otherwise I'm going to fear we're headed in the direction of the 2012-13 team.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't say it's time to panic, however I would say it's time to PLAN!
I think there are some obvious concerns on the roster and injuries will be the main one going forward.

We may have made some moves prematurely. and I think it's obvious from the pre-season play. Ellington is one of those moves; for someone who was slated to be a 40% 3pt. shooter, I haven't seen anything remotely close. He seems to look gimpy getting up and down the floor and is a liability in more ways than one.

James Ennis is almost begging to play for this team, and he maybe a more viable option. With the most recent injuries, I don't think we waste time playing Ellington and should move on and look to get out from under that rock soon. I like the guy as an NBA Player, but just not for the Lakers, this stage is too big.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson is another name the Lakers should consider as a defensive minded wing. Not someone to count on with the 3-ball but definitely an athletic defender.
However truthfully speaking Reaves has proven to be a more effective player at this stage of the Pre-Season.
We need a plan in place to rid ourselves of extra-baggage that will slow down our progress at this point.
windycitycane
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Im gonna wait 10 games into the season

What I see now shows me We pretty much suck at this point.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject:

If the team manages to gel and use its veteran experience to win, we get to watch an exciting season.

If the team plays like this the rest of the way, it might finally free us from the clutches of Klutch.

So I will try to remain positive, hope for the best... and knowing if it turns into a sh!t show that maybe we will go in another direction.

(Who am I kidding, we will be under Klutch's hold unless there are five years of garbage play, but I'm trying to hold on to some hope that Jeanie has some other plan than letting LBJ do what ever he wants with the team)
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
anyone think the Lakers will win a preseason game?

they'll win their last preseason game, just to calm down the folks in this thread
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
anyone think the Lakers will win a preseason game?

they'll win their last preseason game, just to calm down the folks in this thread

Vogel will play our big three 35 minutes just to win at least one preseason game. Job's on the line!
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject:

The overreactions are f'ing hilarious - we could have won a bunch of these games if we played our starters the last quarter. No one gives a sht about these pre-season games, except some of you.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
The overreactions are f'ing hilarious - we could have won a bunch of these games if we played our starters the last quarter. No one gives a sht about these pre-season games, except some of you.

Not concerned about winning preseason games. I'm concerned about playing the game the right way. I'm concerned about showing quality defense, competent outside shooting, and functionality in the offensive flow so that turnovers are minimalized. Veteran players should not be showing as many issues as the Lakers have exhibited, so far.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Except the warriors didnt even play their starting 5... Most teams also rested their stars as much as us. Why do we need our 3 stars to play 30 min+ to beat the g-league warriors team?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

I had this exact attitude but now I'm not so sure....you have to admit Russ looks lost out there...and the D is not there...Melo has missed wide open shots...again I'll pause and wait until after Tuesday's game to really have an opinion.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:

Not concerned about winning preseason games. I'm concerned about playing the game the right way. I'm concerned about showing quality defense, competent outside shooting, and functionality in the offensive flow so that turnovers are minimalized. Veteran players should not be showing as many issues as the Lakers have exhibited, so far.

I'm concerned about people expecting a roster with like 90% personnel turnover and the two most important players missing much of last season with injuries expecting it to look like a well oiled machine a couple weeks into training camp. I'm concerned about people expecting a bunch of dudes in their mid- to late-30s showing up caring about a pre-season after nearly two decades in the league.

I mean I know all the cool kids like to get all emotional after a few meaningless games, but the reality is this is a team built for the playoffs, not October basketball. It is basically inconceivable that this team won't be finishing in the top of the WC despite how they're playing right now assuming health of the big 3. They'll work out all these kinks--y'all are acting like these guys aren't professionals and don't have any clue what they need to do in order to look like an organized basketball team. These are hardly veterans who have shown an indifference to winning over their careers, but based on the drama level here you'd almost think these guys suddenly decided they're just going to collect paychecks and L's for the rest of the season.

Personally, I'm not really going to invest much time into watching this team until they're a good 15-20 games in and have had time to start putting it together. They'll start off slow and ugly, but it isn't going to last forever folks. Chill.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

Only thing we should be worried about is how do our big 3 look. We will win or lose on those guys. And Lebron and AD physically look great.

Russ is the only one we need to get on track. He is way out of sync, I'd spend the rest of the preseason getting Russ on track.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject:

Sky is falling! just think of our week one power rankings!
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
krisobe wrote:
I think our bread n butter closing lineup with 4-5 minutes left in the game would be.....

WB
MONK
BAZE (PERIMETER DEFENSE)
BRON
AD

That's a no rebound lineup, that may work against the Warriors but not against most teams. AD is not a physical rebounder and LBJ and Westbrook will be asked to box out I don't see it. I eventually see Howard being in the starting lineup.

Well come playoff time, deep into the playoffs.. teams go small in the 4th quarter with 4-6 minutes remaining. This is what I meant. Not regular season lineup to start the game. I mean to CLOSE the game in the PLAYOFFS when it counts. But yes I see Dwight starting the game.. but no way in hell Vogel will put him on the floor with AD during playoff CRUNCH time with 6 minutes remaining in the 4th. Bucks always closed with a lineup of Jrue, Middleton, Tucker, Portis, Giannis in the PLAYOFFS.

Last edited by krisobe on Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject:

Yes. Lebron is getting older. AD plays like he prefers touch football. Westbrick couldn't even score against the Laker girls. So yea, I'd say the sky is falling.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject:

A lot of those people who make fun of those who are worried now watching the Lakers lose by over 20 points every night in preseason are the first ones to start planning for the firing of Vogel or Pelinka after 10 games.
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject:

I'm not panicking, but it DOES feel like the year with Kobe, Nash, Gasol, Howard. It just has that weird "how does this NOT work" vibe to it. But as long as we make the playoffs and are HEALTHY for the playoffs, I am fine with it.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Frank Vogel confirms LeBron, AD and Russ will all play again tomorrow.

Quote:
Lakers Big 3 will play "significant minutes" in the preseason finale, says Frank Vogel.

Good. They need more time on the court.

A “Consider this a warning, @NBA” type performance would be nice.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Oh yea, the sky is definitely falling for sure and I’m not joking. I remember anticipating breaking the season win record with Kobe (RIP Mamba), Nash, Gasol, and Dwight only to lose all preseason games and woefully underperform the entire season. This looks just like that. It would be different if:

- LeBron didn’t say he couldn’t learn anything from preseason when he had to learn to play with a roster of many new players including a major impact player like Westbrook
- Westbrook and LeBron weren’t turning the ball over like rookies that don’t belong in the NBA (9 and 6... is this for real?)
- AD didn’t look like last years AD, just a good player instead of MVP candidate from Championship run
- We had another starting caliber C, PF or SF. Yes LeBron and AD can do it but they are two people for three positions.
- Ellington wasn’t as bad a defender as reports say
- Westbrook could hit at least 40% fg and 35% 3pt

The bottom doesn’t have to fall out, we can make adjustments to support the falling parts of the sky or move to a position where we won’t get hit by debris...

...but we have to recognize the sky is falling so changes can be made.
If the problems are ignored they will magnify.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if anyone else brought this up, but getting beat at home by a Warriors team that was MISSING their best three players, while the Lakers best three players WERE playing falls somewhere between

Embarrassing and Time to Panic....
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject:

Well at least the team is entering the regular season with less pressure, now that fans are not going to expect them to steamroll the league.

Glad to see Brooklyn is still considered the overwhelming favourites
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject:

We will make the playoffs for sure and then it's a toss up from there.
The game has changed so much and young players are coming in with an NBA mentality already!

These kids are playing ISO ball at the elementary level now and being allowed to, so by the time they get to the NBA their game has already matured. For some it's their bodies catching up to what their minds want to do on the court for others, it's a matter of "Give me the Ball and Get out the Way"!

Experience will always play a big part in the end in this league, and it doesn't hurt to have 5 potential FHOFs on the team either...

We will be fine, let's just make it to the playoffs fully healthy!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9
Jump to: