Quotes to live by
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject:

In honor of the iconic man we celebrate today....

- "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

- "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of convenience and comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

- "Let no man pull you so low as to hate him."

- "Intelligence plus character—that is the goal of true education."

--- Martin Luther King Jr.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool.

Richard Feynman

Feynman was full of good quotes. Genius in more ways than one.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject:

This one gets me every time. So much humanity.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

- "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

- "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of convenience and comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Quote:
trap of seeing integration in merely aesthetic terms, where a token number of Negroes adds color to a white-dominated power structure. They say, “Our union is integrated from top to bottom, we even have one Negro on the executive board”; or “Our neighborhood is making great progress in integrated housing, we now have two Negro families”; or

“Our university has no problem with integration, we have one Negro faculty member and even one Negro chairman of a department.”

Quote:
A riot is at bottom the language of the unheard.

Quote:
The amazing thing about the ghetto is that so few Ne- groes have rioted. Ninety-nine percent of American Negroes have never thrown a Molotov cocktail or lit a match to comply with the admonition, “Burn, baby, burn.” Even more amazing is the fact that so many ghetto inhabitants have maintained hope in the midst of hopeless conditions. Contrary to the myth held by many white Americans, the ghetto is not a monolithic unit of dope addicts, alcoholics, prostitutes and unwed mothers. There are churches in the ghetto as well as bars. There are stable families in the ghetto as well as illegitimacies. Ninety percent of the young people of the ghetto never come in conflict with the law. We are constantly made aware of desertions and illegitimacies that take place in the ghetto, but often forget the vast majority of families that have stayed together throughout the years. De- spite the overwhelming odds, the majority of Negroes in the ghetto go on living, go on striving, go on hoping. This is the miracle.

From Martin Luther King's Where Do We Go from Here
(written after the passage of the civil rights act)

His words could be spoken aloud now, and still be as true.

The bolded is on Fox News whenever possible.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject:

You Only Live Once

YOLO in Bro Code
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Fwiw, the American conservative movement, which is based entirely on the underpinnings of white supremacy, just doesn’t get to appropriate the quotes of a man who was murdered by a white supremacist. Just no.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Fwiw, the American conservative movement, which is based entirely on the underpinnings of white supremacy, just doesn’t get to appropriate the quotes of a man who was murdered by a white supremacist. Just no.

If they don't appropriate King's quotes, they're stuck with quoting Kanye or Herschel Walker (I hear Mitch wants to grant them American citizenship). Herschel would likely say something that the Dems were doing which King actually favored is an insult to the memory of King, who favored that thing that the Dems want to do. That's in line with his theory that Dems wanting to secure voting rights is an insult to John Lewis, the guy who wanted to secure voting rights. This is what happens when most of your party's national politicians are cretins who also think the Founding Fathers stood for treason, kings, and election fraud and that barnyard de-wormers cure a human respiratory viral infection. I just saw a backdated Frontline re: football causing traumatic brain injury and dementia. Herschel is probably suffering from that, but I ain't about to tell him to his face. He's a rather large fellow.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject:

Beauty is just a light switch away (with couple chilled Jamey shots)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Buddha

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Churi Churin Fun Flais
- - La Vecindad Del Chavo

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Buddha

Thanks for this! I'm going to try and adopt this mindset more.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject:

You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in

-Roger Waters
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Buddha

I don't think humans are wired to do that, no matter how old that mantra gets. Part of the problem from the get-go is that we have to remind ourselves to try to think that way. It's not instinctual to the great majority of us. Another big prob is that most people in the world hate the present they're in and don't want to focus on their current station. Hope is a dangerous thing, per Red, but Andy got OUT by hoping. Hope got him thru a 5 football field sht tube. The sewage pipe is a representation of the present.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Buddha

I don't think humans are wired to do that, no matter how old that mantra gets. Part of the problem from the get-go is that we have to remind ourselves to try to think that way. It's not instinctual to the great majority of us. Another big prob is that most people in the world hate the present they're in and don't want to focus on their current station. Hope is a dangerous thing, per Red, but Andy got OUT by hoping. Hope got him thru a 5 football field sht tube. The sewage pipe is a representation of the present.

It's amazing how optimism and pessimism can be all consuming in a given moment. There are so many variables that can sway a person 1 way or another. $, health, physical appearance, relationship status, friendships, work life, home life, family, the list goes on and on.
But probably the most important 1 is mindset. I'm sure there are miserable billionaires because they are unhappy in other areas. And there are happy people at the poverty line.
There are depressed people who lost their pet, and people who have tragically lost their whole family but still find things that can bring them joy.
Same could be said about all the other variables I mentioned.

I guess technically, there is that 1 person in the world. Who has it the worst overall than the other 7.9 billion people on the planet. But I doubt its anyone I know or can talk to. And technically everyone else has something to be grateful for in the present. If they have the mindset.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject:

Forgive others, not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace.

Jonathan Lockwood Hule

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject:

You can trust me with your life but not your money or your wife.
- - gang members from the part of town I grew up in . . .
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in

-Roger Waters

In the end you'll pack up, fly down south, hide your head in the sand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
kikanga wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Buddha

It's amazing how optimism and pessimism can be all consuming in a given moment. There are so many variables that can sway a person 1 way or another. $, health, physical appearance, relationship status, friendships, work life, home life, family, the list goes on and on.
But probably the most important 1 is mindset. I'm sure there are miserable billionaires because they are unhappy in other areas. And there are happy people at the poverty line.
There are depressed people who lost their pet, and people who have tragically lost their whole family but still find things that can bring them joy.
Same could be said about all the other variables I mentioned.

I guess technically, there is that 1 person in the world. Who has it the worst overall than the other 7.9 billion people on the planet. But I doubt its anyone I know or can talk to. And technically everyone else has something to be grateful for in the present. If they have the mindset.

The 2nd paragraph is kinda like the Lennon lyric:

Nobody loves you when yer down n out, nobody sees you when yer on cloud 9. I agree that we all have things to be grateful for, but that's another one. We can't help but to take things for granted lest we remind ourselves. Hard to appreciate what you have til it's taken away from you. One of those Jungian things, maybe.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject:

My understanding is that Buddism was founded by a person, Siddhattha Gotama, and Shintoism is devotion to invisible spiritual beings and powers. Shintoism is the dominant religion in Japan. That leans more towards a God like religion.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject:

It is never too late to be what you might have been

George Elliot

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Hope for the best, plan for the worst. - anonymous
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

The 2nd paragraph is kinda like the Lennon lyric:

Nobody loves you when yer down n out, nobody sees you when yer on cloud 9. I agree that we all have things to be grateful for, but that's another one. We can't help but to take things for granted lest we remind ourselves. Hard to appreciate what you have til it's taken away from you. One of those Jungian things, maybe.

Well said.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Smile and the world smiles with you, cry and you cry alone.

Stanley Gordon West

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:40 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Smile and the world smiles with you, cry and you cry alone.

Stanley Gordon West

Jake Hoyt from Training Day shared a similar refrain in response to the snail joke.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: