When will the Lakers win another championship?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Championship #18 when?
In 5 years
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
In 6-10 years
47%
 47%  [ 18 ]
In 11-20 years
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
Not in our lifetime
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 38

lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject: When will the Lakers win another championship?

Seeing the rise of Edwards and the Wolves, next year it's only going to get even tougher for the Lakers to get thru the WC. Then year after that, if Wemby panned out as expected, the next 10 years could be impossible for the Lakers to win the West because I think Pops didn't even miss the playoffs once with Duncan.

With that being said, as objective Laker fans, when do you think the Lakers could realistically win championship number 18? Under Jeanie, Lakers have won one championship in 11 years so I'm gonna guess championship number 18 by 2034. Maybe sometimes after 2030?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject:

If we are lucky ~10 years. My guess would be more.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:52 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

To say we were lucky in 2020 would be an understatement. In 2020, we played Portland (Lilliard), Houston (Harden), Nuggets (pre-god Jokic), Heat (Butler).

Basically, back then the level of competition was nowhere near it is today. Today, there's Luka, Edwards, and possibly Wemby to go with prime Jokic.

Most of these stars are still young so they're gonna be around for awhile. I think we should cash in AD for a young star if it's still possible.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

To say we were lucky in 2020 would be an understatement. In 2020, we played Portland (Lilliard), Houston (Harden), Nuggets (pre-god Jokic), Heat (Butler).

Basically, back then the level of competition was nowhere near it is today. Today, there's Luka, Edwards, and possibly Wemby to go with prime Jokic.

Most of these stars are still young so they're gonna be around for awhile. I think we should cash in AD for a young star if it's still possible.

Go back further to how we got there. For nearly a decade we were a mismanaged laughing stock who, despite being in LA, top free agents wouldn’t even grant meetings to. It took the best player in the league looking at a 35 win team that finished 11th in the West and saying “I want to go play there.” No LeBron means no Davis which means no ring. Without the LeBron miracle we are still mired in that gutter. Hell, we have those guys still and we aren’t far from being back there.

Until ownership/management changes we are about to be in the same hole for a long time and will need another miracle to get us out. Might be a long haul.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject:

6-10. Could be 5. Just have to get through these next couple. If we make a huge trade this summer, could even be sooner but that would have to be for a tier 1 type guy.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:25 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

There are young stars coming to their own who will dominate the league for a decade. Not all will win titles but they will compete. The Lakers have none of those players and with the designated rookie contracts, they won’t be coming here even if we have cap space. The Laker vision consists of building around a 40+ year old Lebron and AD who is in his 30’s. Things could break their way but you can’t believe that they are seriously trying to compete. And I fully expect Pelinka to dump all draft picks so that route to improvement is gone. My faith in the Buss kids is pretty much non-existent.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Honestly, now vs 2 years from now won't make a difference in that scenario unless you can get a superstar from AD assets. We would be a team of excellent roll players looking up at the Wemby/Ant/Luka teams until the assets are in their 30's. By then, most of them would have to be cost converted coming of their rookie deals years before.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject:

When ever it is, it will be before the Clippers

Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject:

Probably 6-10 years, and that's making the dangerous assumption that the organization is competent and in capable hands. No shortcuts. If the Lakers win, it will be because they are a steady organization that invests in draft picks and good coaches. Gotta have a foundation and culture first, which is nonexistent with Lebron here. Minny, Denver and OKC didn't rise to the top by accident.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: When will the Lakers win another championship?

lakersfever714 wrote:
Seeing the rise of Edwards and the Wolves, next year it's only going to get even tougher for the Lakers to get thru the WC. Then year after that, if Wemby panned out as expected, the next 10 years could be impossible for the Lakers to win the West because I think Pops didn't even miss the playoffs once with Duncan.

With that being said, as objective Laker fans, when do you think the Lakers could realistically win championship number 18? Under Jeanie, Lakers have won one championship in 11 years so I'm gonna guess championship number 18 by 2034. Maybe sometimes after 2030?

Ant is getting the shine SGA should be getting, not sure why he’s talked about more so much. Sure, he’s an amazing player, but SGA played better in every way, points/assists/rebounds/steals and got the #1 seed for OKC over Ant’s Wolves. Also, Ant contributes to a stacked roster with Gobert/Towns whereas SGA is the main reason driving the Thunder playing with a rookie in Chet along with Giddy. If Ant smacks down the Thunder then goes on to get Finals MVP then yea, but the amount of shine right now is not warranted at the moment.

Brunson/Ant/Mitchell/Doncic should be in a category due to their seeding and playoff success. Booker/Fox/Trae/Maxey are in a category that is a step below due to the lack of it. But at 30.1ppg and more assists/rebounds/steals than almost all of them (Trae/Doncic), SGA is in a category above them all as the #1 seed in the stacked west. SGA might be this year’s regular season MVP yet more people talk about Ant.

Anyway, rant over lol!

Lebron and Dlo walk for nothing due to lack of commitment to building toward a ship and lack of appreciation/recognition of what they bring. They help Philly/Orlando respectively compete for a ship while LAL competes for best tanking team and #1 draft picks over the next 6-10 years.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Tue May 07, 2024 11:39 am; edited 3 times in total
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject:

If Jeanie wasn't doing a four year LBJ farewell tour window then I would say 6-10 years.

Since it seems like she is then that's four years where it is unlikely, then a complete rebuild since AD will be on the decline by then, we are looking at 11-20 years.

If we keep our picks and at least I can see young players develop, it won't be that bad.

If we trade them all, then I'm probably going to take a sanity break until either Jeanie or LBJ is gone.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject:

The way the league runs with the new CBA and how you don't have to be in a large market to attract top free agents has changed everything for an old glamorous team like the Lakers.

Expecting the Lakers to win a title simply because they are the Lakers is not realistic anymore.

The rules have changed, but Laker fan expectation and scrutiny has not.

Basically we got lucky in 2020 because a generational talent wanted to move to LA for business ventures and he was able to orchestrate/force a trade to have one of the best players in the league in his prime (AD) join him due to his power in the industry (Klutch).

Without that happening, we are left with our front office/ownership which is just laughably bad. Look at every coaching hire and none of our draft picks were the best choice at the pick we made. And the blunders in trades/free agency (letting Caruso walk to keep THT, trading away Zubac for nothing, Westbrook,etc.) None of the top draft picks we made (D'Lo, Randle, Ingram, Lonzo) are foundational pieces to a championship.

I know some fans don't like the LeBron era, but the alternative was much worse due to how inept management is.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I think 10 years is quite generous. We are going to hold onto this pretender team for the next 2-3 years at least. I can't see Lebron walking with everything he has going on in L.A.

That leaves you with 7 years to completely rebuild from scratch and win a title. Doable? Sure, it's been done before. I just can't imagine this front office doing it in that timeframe, barring some miracle in the lottery that lands us a generational talent.

But remember, Jeannie has said the Lakers don't tank. During the last rebuild they kept bringing in vets to help them win games, which was stupid. We lucked out with the protections Kupchak was smart enough to place on those picks.

10 years is a long time, but it seems the CBA keeps getting more and more restrictive. I don't feel this front office has the expertise/personnel to pull it off. They aren't run like a pro, well-oiled organization. More like a mom and pop shop.
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Gosh, mad props to you all.

I didn't know it was possible to be a fan and objective
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Once every 30 years, just like the rest of the teams.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
ocho wrote:

There are young stars coming to their own who will dominate the league for a decade. Not all will win titles but they will compete. The Lakers have none of those players and with the designated rookie contracts, they won’t be coming here even if we have cap space. The Laker vision consists of building around a 40+ year old Lebron and AD who is in his 30’s. Things could break their way but you can’t believe that they are seriously trying to compete. And I fully expect Pelinka to dump all draft picks so that route to improvement is gone. My faith in the Buss kids is pretty much non-existent.

LeBron's not winning anything on this Lakers team, he should move on and
so should the Lakers.

However, if the plan is to sell tickets than, yes, it will be LeBron limping into retirement on a huge Laker contract.
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject:

I said 10 years because in 2030 we are celebrating on Figueroa for #18, the 10-year anniversary of #17, and the 20-year anniversary of #16. Poetic for the greatest franchise in the NBA!!
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject:

You guys don't realize the difficultly in actually building the team from the draft.

It takes generational luck to get that superstar in the draft, then a talented front office to build that team.

The Lakers were JUST in that situation, and the best player they got isn't even a good number 2 on a championship team(I personally wouldn't even want Ingram as a number 3). The Lakers had 3 #2 overall picks and a #7 overall pick in that time-frame, which is incredible luck in it's own right.

Most teams in NBA history have 1 or 2 true championship cores in their history. We're talking teams with 50+ year histories here. The team with the 3rd most titles won ALL of their rings with 1 core.

If the Lakers blew it up today, the strong likelihood is that they're just getting a few Brandon Ingrams or worse.

People need to appreciate the 2020 ring more. The Lakers got that from drafting NO stars during their rebuilding phase.

Meanwhile, OKC didn't win a ring even after drafting 3 straight MVPs.

The Nuggets won their first championship last year, and THAT's looking like it may be a 1 and done.

The end result of rebuilding is nice. The years, decades, generations of irrelevance isn't.

Rebuilding has no definitive timeline. It's just waiting to finally get lucky.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject:

SOON!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Exactly.

And we're winning #18 before Boston, I have no doubt about it
Dominic1981
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject:

They will need to draft another Kobe level player to get another ring. The CBA is set up now where it’s nearly impossible to build free agent ring teams.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject:

They got #18 in 2020 .
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
defense wrote:

Exactly.

celtics might win it by next month, lol
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
danzag wrote:
defense wrote:

Exactly.

celtics might win it by next month, lol

They're not. I'm speaking it into existence
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:50 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
They got #18 in 2020 .

No, it was #17.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: