2023 Women's World Cup
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: 2023 Women's World Cup

While the US media focuses on the debut of an aging, male, football player from Europe's MLS debut, I thought I'd give a shoutout to the US Women's debut in the WWC and give kudos to team Nigeria for their strong battle against team Canada last evening.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject:

Three-peat coming!!!!

Just saw that Team USA was in 5 out of last 8 finals and won 4 of them. The other 3 times we were 3rd. Damn I didn't know we were this good.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Tonight at 6:00PST
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject:

I am into it, let's go!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Not as decisive at could have been, but that’s a win.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Lol my poor people! Those girls were half the size of the US team. US Women's is on several orders of athleticism higher.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Lol my poor people! Those girls were half the size of the US team. US Women's is on several orders of athleticism higher.

My gambling friends made a lot of money tonight. They took Vietnam +5.5 goals.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:39 am    Post subject:

I don't think the USWNT is going to win it this time. The unimpressive showing last night looks like a carryover from the Olympics, when we didn't look good at all and had to settle for 3rd place. There's a notable lack of finishing quality over the last couple of years. Morgan is nowhere near what she once was. We'd be better off just playing Smith (who is great) and Rodman together more often.

The rest of the world is catching up and there are a lot of quality sides now. Obviously I am hoping I'm wrong, but I don't see it happening for us at this World Cup. We're the betting favorite but that's kind of like how the Lakers always get money poured in from our fans. We have a chance, sure. I just don't like what I've seen from this program over the past couple of years. And I don't think Andonovski is a particularly good coach, either.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: 2023 Women's World Cup

DaMuleRules wrote:
While the US media focuses on the debut of an aging, male, football player from Europe's MLS debut, I thought I'd give a shoutout to the US Women's debut in the WWC and give kudos to team Nigeria for their strong battle against team Canada last evening.

You might want to watch the highlights from his Miami debut. He's literally the biggest sports star in the world by a significant margin, and I'd say he's worth any hype that he gets!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:29 pm    Post subject:

The women got off to a slow start and looked completely on their heals for almost the first hour of the game. But fortunately, Horan got pissed off with the dirty play of the Dutch and specifically with her teammate in the French league, van de Donk. Lots of pushing and words back and forth going into a corner kick, and as the announcer said, "there's only one thing to do in this situation, and that's put in the back of the net". Then Horan out-charged everyone to make an amazing header and did exactly that . . . and that is one of those moments that epitomizes why I am a sports fan.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The women got off to a slow start and looked completely on their heals for almost the first hour of the game. But fortunately, Horan got pissed off with the dirty play of the Dutch and specifically with her teammate in the French league, van de Donk. Lots of pushing and words back and forth going into a corner kick, and as the announcer said, "there's only one thing to do in this situation, and that's put in the back of the net". Then Horan out-charged everyone to make an amazing header and did exactly that . . . and that is one of those moments that epitomizes why I am a sports fan.

I'm glad we came back to get the draw, but this game did nothing to quell my trepidation about this team. I just don't think we look good, relative to expectations for the USWNT. Maybe we can gut out this tournament with some close results, but I don't like what I'm seeing. And the coach is a nitwit. He subbed in Lavelle at halftime and that was the only sub he used.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I'm glad we came back to get the draw, but this game did nothing to quell my trepidation about this team. I just don't think we look good, relative to expectations for the USWNT. Maybe we can gut out this tournament with some close results, but I don't like what I'm seeing. And the coach is a nitwit. He subbed in Lavelle at halftime and that was the only sub he used.

Yeah, these first two games they have not looked like a Cup winning team. They don't look cohesive at all. Other than the emotional spark they got from Horan, they don't look enthused or invested and totally act like a team that expects to coast ion reputation and past results. Maybe falling behind for the first time in awhile will inspire some better focus going forward, but I'm not encouraged. And totally agree about the coaching, the lineup/sub choices are strange.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yeah, these first two games they have not looked like a Cup winning team. They don't look cohesive at all. Other than the emotional spark they got from Horan, they don't look enthused or invested and totally act like a team that expects to coast ion reputation and past results. Maybe falling behind for the first time in awhile will inspire some better focus going forward, but I'm not encouraged. And totally agree about the coaching, the lineup/sub choices are strange.

And I wasn't impressed with Alex Morgan at the last World Cup, let alone this one. She needs to get it together.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Scoreless after 16 minutes and if anything, Portugal has looked more dangerous. The analysts were expecting the U.S. to have the ball almost entirely and that has not happened. The Dutch have already scored 3 goals against Vietnam, btw, and that's what we had for the entire game. Portgual should have had 4 if not for tremendous referee/VAR error, too.

It's quite possible that our run of being dominant is simply over and that the world has caught up. Add in that Andonovski is not a good coach and, well, I'm not liking these vibes at the moment.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:12 am    Post subject:

We just hung on by the skin of our teeth for a 0-0 draw to advance out of the group as the 2nd place team. We'll likely get Sweden. Portugal hit the right goalpost with a shot from inside the 18 in stoppage time and it was an absolutely glorious chance. They were the better team, and we simply don't look like we have it. Sweden should beat us, assuming that's the matchup.

Carli Lloyd just ripped the team and the entire federation after the game. She had been critical of the team more than others at times leading up to this, but she didn't hold back tonight. Frankly, I agree with her in her assessment that something has been off about this program since 2020.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject:

They are done, and quite frankly, don't even deserve to advance. From players to coaching, they look like a team that is clueless and out of sync.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject:

Fortunately for them most of America probably didn't pay attention since their games are in terrible hours for the east coast.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
They are done, and quite frankly, don't even deserve to advance. From players to coaching, they look like a team that is clueless and out of sync.

They seem allergic to scoring.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

They seem allergic to scoring.

They’re allergic to even moving the ball in a way that makes scoring even possible. The fact that they got one win and two draws was a fluke.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Their best game was against Vietnam and thats not saying much. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose the next game. Their next game is going to be 5am ET/2am PT which pretty much guarantees nobody except die hard soccer fans will watch.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:22 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Their best game was against Vietnam and thats not saying much. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose the next game. Their next game is going to be 5am ET/2am PT which pretty much guarantees nobody except die hard soccer fans will watch.

Normal awake hours for me, so I will certainly be watching. I'd watch anyway, as I love the World Cup, but yeah. And I am absolutely expecting us to lose. I consider it a strong betting opportunity (not for me, but just saying in general) if the U.S. is getting too much respect from the bookies. The fact that we only scored 3 goals against Vietnam was a red flag for sure. As I think I mentioned, Portugal should have had 4 against them if it wasn't for being robbed by VAR twice, and the Dutch put in 7 against them. We were fortunate, after that, to get both draws that we did. The Netherlands were better than us for about 2/3 of the game at least, and Portugal was clearly the better side last night. This level is not going to be good enough against the Swedes, but maybe they can surprise me and come up with a strong effort. I'm not expecting it, though.

By the way, I just watched an exciting game between Italy and South Africa where the winner was going to go through, since Sweden beat Argentina 2-0. A draw (or win) would send Italy through, and South Africa needed a win. Italy took a 1-0 lead and then they put one into their own net on one of the worst own goals you will ever see, making it 1-1. South Africa took the lead 2-1 in the second half, but then Italy equalized fairly late in regulation, to take back their position of going through. Eleven minutes were put up as the number for stoppage time. Just a couple of minutes into stoppage time, South Africa converted on a beautiful little 1-2 from close range to go up 3-2. After the goal and a couple of injuries and subs, they played on for about 15 minutes of stoppage time, and Italy could not get the equalizer, coming oh-so-close on one occasion. So the South Africans are through to the knockout stage for the first time in women's World Cup history. Tough to watch for my Italians, but well-deserved for the South Africans.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:59 am    Post subject:

While France is taking care of business 4-1 at the half against Panama (and will finish atop the Group), Brazil and Jamaica are 0-0 at the half. Jamaica, which has yet to concede a goal in the tournament so far, would go through with a draw (or a win, obviously). Brazil must win, so we're in for an intriguing second half. Marta started and looked pretty good to me, so I'd be surprised if she's subbed off at halftime, though who knows if Pia Sundhage will have her in there for the entire game.

By the way, one of France's 1st half goals was a PK, and it was noted by the Fox Sports crew on the highlights that 13 straight PK conversions have now happened from the spot in this World Cup. Makes Alex Morgan's pathetic miss all the more notable in the Vietnam game.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:06 am    Post subject:

Another shocking result, as Jamaica get the 0-0 draw with Brazil and the Reggae Girls are going through. Brazil is stunningly going home. Marta was subbed off (along with 3 others) at about the 80 minute mark, and I think this will be her final World Cup. Possibly the GOAT of women's soccer. Obviously, this is an extremely disappointing result for Brazil, but you have to hand it to Jamaica, which incredibly did not concede a single goal in 3 games, 2 of which were against offensively-talented France and Brazil. They scored just 1 goal, in their 1-0 win over Panama, and they made that stand up. I thought Jamaica looked extremely well-organized and didn't have any critical defensive breakdowns. Of course Brazil had some dangerous chances, but nothing off of what I thought was a clear mistake by the defense. That's a testament to their coaching staff.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:00 am    Post subject:

South Korea's men knock off Germany in 2018 at the group stage for the first time ever

South Korea's women knock off Germany in 2023 at the group stage for the first time ever

This is all revenge for WC 1994 when Korea scared the piss out of defending champions Germany by going from 3-0 down in Dallas at halftime to 3-2 with non-stop peppering on Germanys goal for the last 15 minutes but unable to get that last goal to tie and move on to the knockout stage.

Then 2002 when the Koreans were denied a spot in the finals to play Brazil in Yokohama by Michael Ballack and the weakest Germany world cup squad in talent ever. A German team outplayed by the Donovan, McBride, Reyna, Mathis US in the quarterfinals when the US themselves were outclassed by Korea in the group stage that year and were ironically the only team to come away with a point on the Koreans.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject:

The U.S. is actually "favored" tonight against Sweden. The lines are:

USA +125
Draw +195
Sweden +220

(To those who don't know, a draw is officially recorded for betting purposes if the game is still tied after extra time, and goes to penalty kicks.)

If I were in Vegas at one of the casinos, I'd probably put a little bit of money on Sweden. I think that's a really good price. I hope to be wrong, but I don't see us winning this game. Of course, you'd still lose your bet if it goes to PK's, so sprinkling some money on a draw isn't the worst play, either.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: