2023 Women's World Cup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject:

0-0 at the end of 90 minutes. The U.S. has looked like the much stronger side, as this has been the most creative we've looked all tournament, especially given the opponent. And even though the Sweden goalkeeper has made 2 or 3 great saves, the finishing quality has still been lacking. Trinity Rodman was by far the most dangerous player on the field, but was subbed off after about 65 minutes. Maybe there's some fitness issues there, as she's apparently been battling an illness, but it was still disappointing to see her subbed off.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:29 am    Post subject:

We go to PK's. Major nervous time.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:45 am    Post subject:

USA loses in PK shootout.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:48 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

The ball was a few millimeters over the goal line.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:49 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

Losing on VAR by literal millimeters. After failing to put it on frame three times in the shootout, including with a chance to win from Sophia Smith. I hate to say it, but even in the PK shootout, we just lacked the necessary finishing quality that was evident all tournament long. This was by far the best game we played, but it still wasn't good enough.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:50 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The ball was a few millimeters over the goal line.

Gotta finish when they had the advantage. They were up 3-2 in PK's when they couldn't close. Sweden came back and won.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject:

Only fitting that the controversy-inducing Rapinoe and the soft weak body language Smith and the Sub who didnt or hardly even get a touch were the ones who missed. Both keepers were amazing. Stars of the show. This US team was snake-bitten and destined to lose. Teams like this that are not completely cohesive relying on their talent ALWAYS lose in any sport.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:02 am    Post subject:

This was the best showing in the tournament and they lost. At least in this failure it will allow them to rebuild the roster and learn from what didn't work.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:03 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Only fitting that the controversy-inducing Rapinoe and the soft weak body language Smith and the Sub who didnt or hardly even get a touch were the ones who missed. Both keepers were amazing. Stars of the show. This US team was snake-bitten and destined to lose. Teams like this that are not completely cohesive relying on their talent ALWAYS lose in any sport.

Absolutely choke job by Smith especially, and she didn't have a good game during the 120 minutes as it is. Rapinoe should have done better but Smith had the match on her foot, and it was literally nowhere near. Of course we've all seen shots from the spot that miss the target. Usually they don't miss by much; after all, you're so close to the goal that you shouldn't miss the gigantic goal by much. Smith's miss truly wasn't even close. And the keeper went the other way. That's why even a bad shot on frame has a decent chance to go in, because the keeper may simply go the wrong way. Just a total choke, pure and simple. Hey, I've done it before on the tennis court myself with pressure, so I get it. But you have to call it what it is.

Oh, and I will continue to not understand why more players don't simply kick the ball right down the middle, as Naeher did. Of all the shootouts I've ever seen, I think I've seen a keeper stay put and do nothing maybe once or twice, ever. And I'm 46 years old. And if anything, it should be easier to make your target right down the middle! The keeper guesses one way (left or right) 99% of the time. So I don't get it.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:07 am    Post subject:

After the Vietnam game they scored 1 goal in 3 games. So 3 games vs quality opponents they only put it in the back of the net once.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:12 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Absolutely choke job by Smith especially, and she didn't have a good game during the 120 minutes as it is. Rapinoe should have done better but Smith had the match on her foot, and it was literally nowhere near. Of course we've all seen shots from the spot that miss the target. Usually they don't miss by much; after all, you're so close to the goal that you shouldn't miss the gigantic goal by much. Smith's miss truly wasn't even close. And the keeper went the other way. That's why even a bad shot on frame has a decent chance to go in, because the keeper may simply go the wrong way. Just a total choke, pure and simple. Hey, I've done it before on the tennis court myself with pressure, so I get it. But you have to call it what it is.

Oh, and I will continue to not understand why more players don't simply kick the ball right down the middle, as Naeher did. Of all the shootouts I've ever seen, I think I've seen a keeper stay put and do nothing maybe once or twice, ever. And I'm 46 years old. And if anything, it should be easier to make your target right down the middle! The keeper guesses one way (left or right) 99% of the time. So I don't get it.

Ill be honest: I thought Rapinoe and the O'Hara would bury theirs but gun to my head, I for sure would have said Smith was missing hers. She is soft and you could tell the entire time. Inexcusable to have this softie be your fifth place kicker. Its equivalent would be putting Trea Turner at bat if we had a choice to have a chance to win it. I dont care what the regular stats say, that is absolutely the wrong choice.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:23 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Ill be honest: I thought Rapinoe and the O'Hara would bury theirs but gun to my head, I for sure would have said Smith was missing hers. She is soft and you could tell the entire time. Inexcusable to have this softie be your fifth place kicker. Its equivalent would be putting Trea Turner at bat if we had a choice to have a chance to win it. I dont care what the regular stats say, that is absolutely the wrong choice.

We were probably down to fairly weak options. Our freaking goalkeeper was first in up "extra innings", and then our last kicker was a 35-year-old who was just subbed in, who hadn't kicked a ball all night, and who has scored 3 goals in her entire USWNT career. Girma had played so well and served so many nice passes that I would have preferred her to take one, but the team practices these things over and over and I guess that the coaching staff thought that the players we sent up were the best options at the time. Ultimately, it comes down to execution. Rapinoe and Smith both missed the target entirely, and that's just an absolute killer. O'Hara hitting the post was not shocking and I don't even blame her. Should never have come to that.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:22 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

We were probably down to fairly weak options. Our freaking goalkeeper was first in up "extra innings", and then our last kicker was a 35-year-old who was just subbed in, who hadn't kicked a ball all night, and who has scored 3 goals in her entire USWNT career. Girma had played so well and served so many nice passes that I would have preferred her to take one, but the team practices these things over and over and I guess that the coaching staff thought that the players we sent up were the best options at the time. Ultimately, it comes down to execution. Rapinoe and Smith both missed the target entirely, and that's just an absolute killer. O'Hara hitting the post was not shocking and I don't even blame her. Should never have come to that.

I did like Rapinoe's immediate response to her missed PK as it showed me who she really was. It was one of incredulity and really humor....like you gotta be kidding me....Its a response only a truly strong person would show in a failure at that big of a stage. Most people would just break down like Sophia Smith.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:35 am    Post subject:

I only watched the second half and extra time.

Dreadful execution in the final third, lack of difference makers in attack, some of the worst crosses into the box I've seen. Compared to, say, Japan, these two teams absolutely suck.

Penalties is the worst way to end a game, and it could have gone either way. The Swedish keeper didn't even have a safe, and her team still won.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject:

After I checked the disappointing result this morning by asking Alexa, she told me a joke.

How many soccer players does it take to change a lightbulb?

I don't know, but it would be a lot less if they could use their hands.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Dreadful execution in the final third, lack of difference makers in attack, some of the worst crosses into the box I've seen. Compared to, say, Japan, these two teams absolutely suck.

Penalties is the worst way to end a game, and it could have gone either way. The Swedish keeper didn't even have a safe, and her team still won.

The U.S. defense was by far the best in the tournament, though, only allowing 1 goal and something like 10 or 11 shots on goal for the entire tournament. They did look so much better last night offensively, despite not scoring. It does make me wonder that if they could have gotten through Sweden, that perhaps beating Japan wasn't out of the question. Japan did score 3 goals against a quality defensive team like Norway, but 2 of the 3 goals they scored were on direct Norway huge mistakes, including one own goal. But I do agree with you that Japan has shown more in this tournament than any other squad. They've been ruthless with chances near the goal. The opposite of the U.S.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject:

They sucked ass this World Cup.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
They sucked ass this World Cup.

You can see how fast the enthusiasm for this team fell off a cliff from the first couple of posts from this thread. Safe to say they are gonna need to do a teardown of the team and build it back up. Feels like the aftermath of the 2004 USA mens basketball team. They showed up and thought the rest of the world would just fold due to their superior talent. Well the rest of the world caught up and the USWNT regressed.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:09 am    Post subject:

Nigeria had the better of England, surprisingly, for most of regulation, even before James was sent off for England in the final 10 minutes of normal time. Nigeria actually didn't really take advantage of the extra player, and we're about to go to a penalty shootout after a 0-0 draw. If England go out, this will be the second night in a row where the World Cup betting favorite would be defeated.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:23 am    Post subject:

England win on PK's, 4-2. England went first and missed the target on their first kick, but then Nigeria missed the target on their first two kicks! It was like watching the USWNT last night! England buried its next 4 chances to ice it in the 5th round.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:18 am    Post subject:

England could actually win on PKs??? Who knew???
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

I finally watched it last night. The US were lucky they even had that opportunity. Figures they'd blow it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:44 am    Post subject:

Two entertaining games "today" in Australia/New Zealand saw Spain get past the Netherlands 2-1 in extra time, and Sweden holding off Japan 2-1 as well. Spain will now play Sweden in one semifinal, as that side of the bracket is set.

In the first game, Spain was holding a 1-0 lead as stoppage time began, and 12 minutes (!!) were added. Just into stoppage time, the Dutch scored on a great strike from around the 18 to the far post to tie it up. Then in the second half of extra time, one of the young Spain subs fired a great low shot to the far post from an angle, actually kissing it off the post and in, for what proved to be the winning goal. This is the furthest the Spanish women have ever advanced in a World Cup, and they look dangerous to me. Like the trademark style of the men's team, Spain keep possession very well and I think they could be a problem.

That said, they will face the now five-time semifinalists, Sweden, who are still looking for their first-ever trip to a World Cup final. Sweden absolutely dominated favored Japan in the first half and took a well-deserved 1-0 lead into halftime, and it could've been 2-0 or even 3-0 (they hit a post and had one other glorious chance). Then a Japan handball in the box early in the second half led to a Sweden PK goal, so it was 2-0. From that point on, to their credit, Japan really went for it, the coach made some good subs, and Japan were pouring it on, with Sweden on their heels. Japan earned a PK and in what may have ultimately cost them the shot at extra time, their player hit the crossbar and the ball stayed out of the net. This means that the Swedish goalkeeper has seen 4 of the last 5 PK attempts against her not even be on frame, and I think she's clearly in the players' heads. Japan continued to push, though, and they finally capitalized on a rare Swedish defensive mistake to score late in regulation. As 10 minutes of stoppage time were added, Japan certainly had a chance still, but they could not find that second goal.

This guarantees that we will have a first-time winner of the World Cup. And with France and England on the other side of the bracket, there is a possibility of an all-Europe quartet of semifinalists. Australia and Colombia, respectively, will be trying to break through.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:03 am    Post subject:

After France and Australia were tied 0-0 after 120 minutes, it went to a PK shootout. It went 10 rounds! And the winner is...

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

Longest PK shootout in World Cup history, men's or women's.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
After France and Australia were tied 0-0 after 120 minutes, it went to a PK shootout. It went 10 rounds! And the winner is...

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!

Longest PK shootout in World Cup history, men's or women's.

I tried to watch but I dozed off around extra time. I know Australia was pretty aggressive and France blocked numerous scoring attempts. Sounds like the home team once again comes thru in the World Cup.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: