Derek Fisher named boys basketball coach at Encino Crespi HS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject: Derek Fisher named boys basketball coach at Encino Crespi HS

https://highschool.si.com/national/2023/08/07/derek-fisher-named-boys-basketball-coach-at-crespi

Quote:
Derek Fisher named boys basketball coach at Crespi

The 5-time NBA champion takes a shot at high school basketball in one of the toughest leagues in California.

Derek Fisher, who won five NBA titles with the LA Lakers when he was a player, coached the NY Knicks in the NBA. He coached the LA Sparks in the WNBA.

Now, he'll skip college (the opposite way) and try his hand at the high school ranks after being appointed the new boys basketball coach at Encino Crespi in Northern Los Angeles Monday.

Crespi is where former standouts De'Anthony Melton (USC/76ers), Brandon Williams (Arizona/Trail Blazers) and London Perrantes (Virginia/Cavaliers) prepped.

Former Crespi coach Andrew Moore announced his resignation on July 26 after four seasons at the helm.

Fisher will be a new coach in one of the toughest leagues in California, and arguably the country, when the season starts in November. The Mission League is home to the reigning CIF State Open Division champions Harvard-Westlake and the reigning CIF State Division I champions in Notre Dame, along with always-talented Sierra Canyon. Programs like St. Francis, Chaminade, Loyola and Alemany are led by some of the most savvy, well-respected high school coaches in Southern California.

Crespi's roster has appeal, too. Sophomore point guard Joe Sterling is an elite shooter with a developing game, junior Peyton White is a stretch-four type with a high motor, and other pieces like Stephen Kankole and Malakai Perrantes make essential role players.

However, it remains to be seen if these players will stay at Crespi. Moves like this — especially with the fall semester of the 2023-24 school year still a few weeks away — could create ripples in an already transfer-heavy era.

Fisher was selected over finalist Ryan Coleman, a highly-respected coach at Shalhevet High in Los Angeles. Coleman. Longtime coach at Taft High in Woodland Hills Derrick Taylor also interview for the job.

Crespi athletic director Brian Bilek said in a release that the school was "honored," and "excited" about the hire, noting that Fisher "brings to Crespi his strong work ethic, leadership and discipline that are rooted in his Christian faith."

Fisher, a native of Little Rock, Ark., was a 1996 first-round draft pick of the Lakers and was part of five NBA championship teams during his 18-year career. He coached for the Knicks and was head coach and general manager of the Sparks before last year coaching an 8th grade boys team and a Team Derek Fisher Club girls team in the Southland.

“My family and I are thankful and grateful for this opportunity to join the Crespi family," Fisher said in a statement. "Coaching and teaching is a true passion and I look forward to continuing this focus on the next generation of young student-athletes."
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Maybe getting out of L.A.’s shadow will do him good
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Isn't he still in LA though? Or do you mean the Lakers?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The Lakers, I don’t count the job he did with the Knicks cause he was inexperienced, he should have more freedom not being associated with a LA team
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The Lakers, I don’t count the job he did with the Knicks cause he was inexperienced, he should have more freedom not being associated with a LA team

He also coached the Sparks which didn't end well. I don't think he's cut out to be a pro basketball coach.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Heard the X and O not so good but superb motivational speaker
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

That might work in HS though.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He also coached the Sparks which didn't end well. I don't think he's cut out to be a pro basketball coach.

This.

But I will hold a good thought for señor Fisher nonetheless. Congratulations Derek hope it goes well for you.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject:

That's Laker Legend Derek Fisher. Mr.5 rings.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Wow, the rapid demotion from head coach of one of the league’s most storied franchises in the biggest city in the country, to head coach of a WNBA team in the second largest city, to high school coach.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject:

XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Wow, the rapid demotion from head coach of one of the league’s most storied franchises in the biggest city in the country, to head coach of a WNBA team in the second largest city, to high school coach.

Mike Brown went from winning 60 games in back-to-back seasons in his first stint with the Cavs to coaching the Lee Burneson Middle School football team.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Does he have a child or family member on the team there? It could really change Crespi's reputation if he can get just 2 D1 prospects over there. Then it will build on itself. Calabasas high was the laughing stock of Marmonte league until they got coach Clausen and Keyshawn Johnson and Darick Holmes kids to join. Then they became a powerhouse.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
That's Laker Legend Derek Fisher. Mr.5 rings.

I think the reason why he’s so highly sought of as a HC is because his voice is valuable to players he just doesn’t how to put it all together, but he knows all about leadership which a young high school team can use
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:42 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
governator wrote:

U right, actually perfect for young players
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Mike Brown went from winning 60 games in back-to-back seasons in his first stint with the Cavs to coaching the Lee Burneson Middle School football team.

That's kind of taking things out of context. Mike's son was on that football team and he was a volunteer coach. That looks to me like a father wanting to spend time with his son since he was still being paid to not work at the time. We all know how it all worked out for Mike afterward.

Fish on the other hand has truly seen a downward trajectory in his post-playing career. Most of it can be attributed to performance, but you can't also ignore the baggage that comes with his personal affairs too - which probably has a larger impact than many organizations want to admit.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
governator wrote:

U right, actually perfect for young players
Good luck DFish!
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
XTC wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

That's kind of taking things out of context. Mike's son was on that football team and he was a volunteer coach. That looks to me like a father wanting to spend time with his son since he was still being paid to not work at the time. We all know how it all worked out for Mike afterward.

Fish on the other hand has truly seen a downward trajectory in his post-playing career. Most of it can be attributed to performance, but you can't also ignore the baggage that comes with his personal affairs too - which probably has a larger impact than many organizations want to admit.

Yeah, it’s odd how he was viewed as a good guy and a leader as a player but has acted rather badly as a coach in his private life.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
XTC wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Yeah, it’s odd how he was viewed as a good guy and a leader as a player but has acted rather badly as a coach in his private life.

He flew under the radar because of Shaq/Kobe he seems sane in comparison
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Does he have a child or family member on the team there? It could really change Crespi's reputation if he can get just 2 D1 prospects over there. Then it will build on itself. Calabasas high was the laughing stock of Marmonte league until they got coach Clausen and Keyshawn Johnson and Darick Holmes kids to join. Then they became a powerhouse.

He would often be at Heritage Christian games as his girlfriends sons (Matt Barnes) go there.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

He would often be at Heritage Christian games as his girlfriends sons (Matt Barnes) go there.

She’s his wife now.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject:

I figured this was why he took the job

Quote:
NBACentral
@TheDunkCentral
·
4h
Derek Fisher will be the head coach for his son Drew Fisher and Matt Barnes’ twin boys Carter and Isaiah at Crespi Carmelite High School in Los Angeles

(Via
@Tarek_Fattal
)
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

She’s his wife now.

This is like the ultimate cucking. Your former teammate becomes your coach, then steals your wife and then also becomes your kids’ new coach and father figure.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

She’s his wife now.

This is like the ultimate cucking. Your former teammate becomes your coach, then steals your wife and then also becomes your kids’ new coach and father figure.

The most high profile example of this I can think of. I do wonder if the kids read up on this online. I can only imagine…
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
lakeshow03 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

She’s his wife now.

The most high profile example of this I can think of. I do wonder if the kids read up on this online. I can only imagine…

I hope Matt Barnes has come to peace with Derek Fisher being involved in his children’s life and appreciates his involvement. It could be a lot worse. Several single mothers in this city have ended up dating ME!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: