Derek Fisher named boys basketball coach at Encino Crespi HS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevacious2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject:

Well, maybe he can coach some kids to never play Soft on defense.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:50 pm    Post subject:

https://www.si.com/fannation/backinthedaynba/news/nba-champion-derek-fisher-adjusting-to-new-role-as-high-school-coach

Quote:
NBA Champion Derek Fisher Adjusting To New Role As High School Coach
Former Los Angeles Lakers star and NBA coach Derek Fisher now working the sidelines for his sons at the high school level

Derek Fisher accomplished so much during his playing career with the Los Angeles Lakers and as a coach with the New York Knicks.

Now, he's onto his next challenge as a high school coach. Fisher recently accepted the job at Crespi Carmelite High School in Los Angeles. He is leading three of his sons on the team.

"So far, so good," Fisher said. "It's been a blessing. Our kids obviously are growing up really fast. We got one in college and four in high school and the three boys at the same high school playing together. It's not something we had planed in our lives We're just really thankful and excited for the opportunity."

Fisher, who won five championships alongside Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal with the Lakers, took the opportunity when the previous coach stepped down before the season.

For Fisher, who coached the New York Knicks from 2014-16 and the Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA for three seasons, it was a chance to remain close to the game while also spending time with his sons.

"It's been enjoyable," Fisher said. "I think we've all done a pretty good job of balancing coach and Dad and sons and not really overly mixing the two. When we're at home, we just try to be a family and love each other and make sure things are flowing at the house the right way. When we're at gym and at school, we kind of try to keep those boundaries in place. That's when I'm coach and not as much Dad."

Fisher said he's enjoyed the aspect of working with the younger generation. It gives him opportunity to deal with players before they become stars.

"I think the biggest difference is you're trying to help young players and young student-athletes build the foundation habit and work ethic and approach to a sport that they are trying to become great at," Fisher said. "As opposed to when you're coaching the pros, most of the pros have already established that they are some of the best basketball players in the world. You're not trying to help them become great, they already great."

Fisher spent most of his playing and coaching career living a four-star lifestyle. Now, he's adjusting to wearing more hats than when in the NBA life.

"At the pro level as a head coach or assistant coach or whatever your role is, you're not necessarily responsible for driving the van to the game on the road or carrying the ball gab into the gym to make sure you have enough balls for warmups before games," Fisher said. "You're not responsible for, at the pro level, for the medical kit because the athletic trainer at the high school also has to be at the soccer game or volleyball game or some other game ... You have to have the emergency medical kit in case a kid gets injured or hurt or cut."
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject:

DFish has 5 sons?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
DFish has 5 sons?

If the rumors are true about Barnes wife then why are you surprised?
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
DFish has 5 sons?

Imagine these dudes roll up to where you're playing, and they just take over the court.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject:

Matt Barnes at it again but at his son’s game

https://nypost.com/2024/02/05/sports/matt-barnes-threatened-to-slap-the-s-t-out-of-me-student-hoops-announcer/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=nypost
nutella
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

https://nypost.com/2024/02/05/sports/matt-barnes-threatened-to-slap-the-s-t-out-of-me-student-hoops-announcer/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=nypost

Crazy, Fisher is coaching Barnes' son??!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject:

nutella wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Correction: Fisher is coaching his step son
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Fisher and are both sketchy but Fisher seems like the sleezy snake type.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
nutella wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Correction: Fisher is coaching his step son

Stepsons and his actual son who's also on the team.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:52 pm    Post subject:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2024-02-21/matt-barnes-dropped-as-sacramento-kings-analyst-crespi-harvard-westlake-incident

Quote:
Matt Barnes dropped as Sacramento Kings analyst weeks after incident at Crespi High game

Former UCLA and NBA forward Matt Barnes was reportedly dropped as a Sacramento Kings studio analyst by NBC Sports California nearly three weeks after he yelled at officials and confronted a student broadcaster from Studio City’s Harvard-Westlake School during a high school boys’ basketball game at Encino Crespi.

Barnes, 43, became irate after an official called a technical foul on one of his twin sons, who play for Crespi. Video posted to social media shows Barnes putting his right hand on the shoulder of Harvard-Westlake student Jake Lancer, who was broadcasting the game. Barnes and Lancer exchanged words before adults intervened.

The Sacramento Bee reported that Barnes no longer will serve as a Kings analyst, a job he’d held for three years. Barnes played 14 seasons in the NBA, including two with the Lakers, four with the Clippers and nearly two with the Kings. He played at UCLA from 1998-2002.

Barnes addressed the confrontation during an appearance Feb. 13 on “The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz.”

“I was yelling at the refs, Dan,” he told Le Batard. “I’ve yelled at the refs my entire college career, my 15-year NBA career. I coach AAU in the summertime, I have high school boys, and I have a 5-year-old coming down the pipeline, so I’m going to be doing a lot of yelling at the refs.

“This particular incident — I will say my one mistake was putting my hand on [Lancer’s] shoulder. A lot of people want to say I grabbed this kid or I did this — I literally put my hand on this kid’s shoulder because it was almost like I was talking to my son. ... So he and I had a little back and forth, and obviously ... for touching him, I was wrong. But I just didn’t like the disrespect that came with the entitlement where they felt like they could say anything to me.”

Lancer addressed the incident on social media, tweeting: “Last comment on the situation last night: I want to make it very clear that I never told [Barnes] to ‘shut up’ or anything close to that, he came up to me. All I wanted to do in the moment was get back to announcing the championship game.”

Harvard-Westlake backed Lancer in a tweet from the school account: “Harvard-Westlake is proud of Jake Lancer and the poise he showed on [Feb. 2] under unusual circumstances. Jake’s calm demeanor and professional focus are unparalleled in high school journalism and we are honored he is our lead commentator on HWTV.”

Barnes, who attended Del Campo High near Sacramento, was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence in 2010, although the alleged victim, Barnes’ fiancée, Gloria Govan, said, “Any accusations of domestic violence are false. My fiancée, Matt Barnes, has never physically abused me or my family.”

Govan is the mother of twins Carter and Isaiah Barnes, whose coach at Crespi is former Lakers guard Derek Fisher. In 2015, Barnes and Fisher were involved in a physical altercation when Barnes confronted Fisher about his relationship with Govan, who was estranged from Barnes. Fisher and Barnes have since resolved their differences.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject:

uh oh, jeannie eyeing fisher as the next head coach, lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: