“Eat Crow Thread” for MoB/Wen/TBj/LW4/Sho (edited initial premise)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: “Eat Crow Thread” for MoB/Wen/TBj/LW4/Sho (edited initial premise)

Yea…couldn’t resist…this tread is for me.

Good job bringing back!:
Rui/Van/ARe/Dlo

Was it good getting?:
Hay for MoB - prediction, MoB will be better…Hay will be what he was.
TaP for TBj - prediction, TBj will be better…TaP 3pt Laker curse w/bad D.
Cam for LW4 - prediction, LW4 will be better…could be surprised by Cam’s +
Vin for Sho - prediction, about even…need Vin to replicate playoff production

We’ll see.

Edit: The way it shaped up it seemed at first that Hay was the replacement for MoB…imo if GMs suffer from bad luck they should also benefit from good luck…so in a stroke of luck imo, Woo ended up being the replacement for MoB. Hay seems appropriately slotted to be a better replacement of Wen. Thanks for the feedback @BILBJH 👍

I predict:
Woo will be better than MoB.
MoB will be better than Hay
Hay will be better than Wen

MoB = Mo Bamba
Woo = Christain Woods
Hay = Jaxson Hayes
Wen = Wenyen Gabriel
Rui = Rui Hachimuri
Van = Jared Vanderbilt
TBj = Troy Brown Jr
TaP = Tauren Prince
ARe = Austin Reaves
LW4 = Lonnie Walker IV
Dlo = DeAngelo Russell
Sho = Dennis Schroeder
Vin = Gabe Vincent

Funny story…the abbreviations weren’t to save space/time, it was a result of OCD to conform to 3 character names to coincide with LBJ for Lebron James. I’ve also started referring to Anthony Davis as AnD. Kinda like airports (LAX). Sorry guys ☺️

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:56 pm; edited 8 times in total
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject:

The time you saved abbreviating every players' name made this post take me at least three times longer to read and comprehend than it should have. Congrats!
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
The time you saved abbreviating every players' name made this post take me at least three times longer to read and comprehend than it should have. Congrats!

You’re welcome!!!
Glad to be of service!!!
I expect much more hate flaming than that 🤣
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject:

You really think Taurean Prince will be worse than Troy Brown Jr?

Troy Brown was pretty much unplayable in the playoffs due to how green and nervous he was. Basically the opposite of Reaves in that he could not rise to the occasion.

I'm thinking Prince will at least be a reliable rotation player come playoffs considering he torched the Lakers from 3 in the play-in game.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:

Troy Brown was pretty much unplayable in the playoffs due to how green and nervous he was. Basically the opposite of Reaves in that he could not rise to the occasion.

I'm thinking Prince will at least be a reliable rotation player come playoffs considering he torched the Lakers from 3 in the play-in game.

Sorta the flaw of the premise of the thread. If, for example, Prince and Reddish flop, the response wont be to pine away for guys like TBJ or Walker who also stink. If Hayes isn’t any good I doubt we will be wishing we had Mo Bamba who also isn’t any good. The only guy we let go who we might miss is Dennis.
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject:

Mo Bamba is a bum. He's going to be in China next year.

Prince is vastly superior to TBJ.

Reddish, LW4 - i don't know.

Vincent/Schroder - also, i don't know.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject:

Mo Bamba did nothing for us. Thomas Bryant was unplayable defensively even if he gets numbers. Lonnie is a scrub who got hot in one or two games in the playoffs.

Losing Schroder is going to hurt, though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Triumph wrote:

Sorta the flaw of the premise of the thread. If, for example, Prince and Reddish flop, the response wont be to pine away for guys like TBJ or Walker who also stink. If Hayes isn’t any good I doubt we will be wishing we had Mo Bamba who also isn’t any good. The only guy we let go who we might miss is Dennis.

I agree, if both entities in a comparison suck or if both are good no cap. Heck, even if there is a reasonable difference it shouldn’t matter. The only thing that should move the needle on serving a crow dish would be if one is a flop and the other is a productive contributor. Not necessarily all star numbers but something that the past performance should have been able to predict like:

MoB— 10+ppg, 7+rpg, 2+bpg 38% 3pt
Hay— <6ppg, <3rpg, <1bpg 30% 3pt

TBj— 15ish ppg, 6ish rpg, 38% 3pt shooting, Drtg 111,
TaP— <10 ppg, <4 rpg, about 30% 3pt shooting, Drtg rating < TBj

LW4— 15ish ppg, 38% 3pt shooting
Cam— <10 ppg, 33% 3pt shooting

Sho— 15ish ppg, 38% 3pt shooting, 6apg
Vin— <10 ppg, 33% 3pt shooting, <4apg

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:06 pm    Post subject:

It's interesting that you chose to compare Bamba to Hayes rather Wood, who is the more obvious stretch 5 comparison.

Hayes you would more aptly compare to Wenyen.

If Bamba is better than Wood that would be surprising.

Hayes is longer than Wenyen so he will serve his purpose better.

Prince has made 700 threes in his career... TBJ has made 259

Prince has the better average. Their numbers and size are similar but Prince is the more proven commodity.

Lonnie is a good player and I'd have signed him at the minimum... but you should be comparing him to Reaves not Cam

Schroder could be better than Gabe, but he's choked in the playoffs for us twice while Gabe succeeded in Miami.

The thing you have to consider is that we were lucky to make the WCF so if we just become a playoff team and go out early, it doesn't mean our moves were bad.

The only mistake we might have made is drafting JHS, but I'll keep my mind open until it's proven for sure.

This team is deeper than Denver and I'm glad the team is being run by a professional GM instead of a sports agency right now.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I was rewatching our play in game and man are we going to miss the energy Dennis played with. Gabe brings more shooting (although inconsistent) but we will miss that downhill threat (same with Lonnie on a lesser note)
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
It's interesting that you chose to compare Bamba to Hayes rather Wood, who is the more obvious stretch 5 comparison.

Hayes you would more aptly compare to Wenyen.

If Bamba is better than Wood that would be surprising.

Hayes is longer than Wenyen so he will serve his purpose better.

Prince has made 700 threes in his career... TBJ has made 259

Prince has the better average. Their numbers and size are similar but Prince is the more proven commodity.

Lonnie is a good player and I'd have signed him at the minimum... but you should be comparing him to Reaves not Cam

Schroder could be better than Gabe, but he's choked in the playoffs for us twice while Gabe succeeded in Miami.

The thing you have to consider is that we were lucky to make the WCF so if we just become a playoff team and go out early, it doesn't mean our moves were bad.

The only mistake we might have made is drafting JHS, but I'll keep my mind open until it's proven for sure.

This team is deeper than Denver and I'm glad the team is being run by a professional GM instead of a sports agency right now.

The Woo/MoB and Hay/Wen comparison is actually a decent take. Will Woo’s better offense with lack luster defense make him a more effective option than MoB’s offense + blocks? I hope so and I’ll take Hay over Wen too! We should keep an eye on those comparisons you made as they are valid. The ARe/LW4 is a reach tho since we’re talking starter vs backup and not applicable.

I expect the TBj vs TaP to be a lock for TBj as he is trending up as a younger player whereas TaP is trending down at 29yrs old. We disagree on expectations for this regarding TaP vs TBj this year and that’s ok. Time will tell. Hope you’re right and I’m wrong.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:07 pm; edited 9 times in total
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Remember that the most questionable move was the result of a backup plan.

We had Bruce Brown lined up and all but signed sealed and delivered.

Gabe was the backup plan.

Schroder might be slightly better, but one player is happy to work for 13 million and the other thinks he's a 100 million dollar type of guy.

I think Rob did well getting Gabe after getting blindsided over Bruce.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Remember that the most questionable move was the result of a backup plan.

We had Bruce Brown lined up and all but signed sealed and delivered.

Gabe was the backup plan.

Schroder might be slightly better, but one player is happy to work for 13 million and the other thinks he's a 100 million dollar type of guy.

I think Rob did well getting Gabe after getting blindsided over Bruce.

Good take, we definitely have to consider that Sho priced us out signing for more than the full MLE whereas Vin signed for a few mill less than the full. I’d like to think the full would have returned Sho but we don’t know. Logically he would have come back for 12.4m vs 13m. I actually agree that Vin was a good pivot plan by Rob after Sho dipped. I would even be ok removing the Vin/Sho comparison from the topic completely since it seemed the hand was more forced than choice. I leave it in tho since conceivably we could have gone after Sho for the full, even over the pipe of Bruce.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:

Yeah, if the OP doesn't have time to type out a players name, I don't have time to guess who he is talking about. I'm moving on from this thread...
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
Triumph wrote:

Yeah, if the OP doesn't have time to type out a players name, I don't have time to guess who he is talking about. I'm moving on from this thread...

Speaking of “I don’t have time” you could have saved some time by moving on sooner 🤣

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:48 am    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:

lolol Glad I'm not the only one. I tackled HfR's post like I was deciphering the Dead Sea Scrolls! Really proud of myself!

As for the post itself...

I liked Bamba as an acquisition, and was sad that he was injured, which inhibited his opportunity to showcase himself to the Lakers. Would have liked to bring him back. That said, I believe Hayes is the better young prospect. between the two. Hayes has a higher motor than Bamba, and that energy affects everything about your game. (with the Woods signing, that's potentially less pressure on Hayes to perform)

Taurean Prince is the better player than Troy, now. Troy, being younger, has the higher potential IF you beleive he'll fulfill that potential.

Walker is the better player currently, over Cam. But, the Lakers are absolutely flush with talented guards. What we needed was more swingman depth. If Cam lives up to even some of his potential, he could fill a much more important role in our roster, than Walker would have.

I agree that the Vincent/Schroder swap is about even, when the +/-'s are calculated.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject:

I think it'll be hard for Hayes to be worse than Mo Bamba, but I dont expect him to get many minutes at all for it to matter.

Prince is better than TBJ.

I expect Gabe to be slightly worse than DS for us, but not bad all things considered. He wont be as good defensively, but maybe offers more consistent shooting than DS.

Cam is getting no minutes unless theres injuries so its a wash.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject:

I’m not gonna fault Rob for the center swaps…even tho it may not have been the initial plan…Wood/Hayes for MoBa/Weny seems like a good risk at the time regardless of how it turns out. Wood avg about the same blocks, shot about the same from 3pt, better apg, with much better rebounding and overall scoring.

As far as Hayes, the Lakers needed Weny to play some back up C which he was just too light weight and not enough height. Hayes may not produce much better but he fits better with team needs as a C/PF that projects to be more effective at the C than Weny. Can’t fault Rob here either regardless.

Vincent was much better in the post season than Shro. Even tho it would have been maintaining continuity/chemistry I can see the desire to have better post season expectations. I can’t criticize Rob for getting the championship team contender’s starting PG to be the Lakers’s back up for cheaper. Especially since defensive impact may be somewhat similar.

Cam is 6’7”, LW4 is 6’4”, the potential for Cam to be serviceable at G/F is better for Cam than LW4. As the 4th guard, this may be an understandable risk if Rob couldn’t have both. Cam has shot better from 3pt range and performed in the post season so maybe he recaptures that. No fault there as well.

So…what am I even going on about?

I think it should have been obvious to go with Troy Brown Jr over Taurean Prince and seem to be the only one that thinks so. Because of that I wanted to have a thread we can revisit so I can eat crow if wrong about TBj/TaP and say I told ya so if right. I’m hoping for crow.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject:

Fondly recalling the posts hoping Thomas Bryant Jr could be brought back for 10-12 million.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:29 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Fondly recalling the posts hoping Thomas Bryant Jr could be brought back for 10-12 million.

Receipts? or you made it up 🤣
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Middle pages of this thread littered with posts suggesting Thomas Bryant would get MLE money, when he was in the middle of a hot stretch.

Thomas Bryant Thread
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Middle pages of this thread littered with posts suggesting Thomas Bryant would get MLE money, when he was in the middle of a hot stretch.

Thomas Bryant Thread

Receipts confirmed, good job! It’s easy to forget contributions considering how long a season actually is. TBryant did very well against Jokic but it’s hard to fathom…even with his hit streak (31/14, 29/14, 21/9 against Jokic)…thinking MLE for him but some actually did.

Being reminded of his well TBryant did against Jokic makes me wonder…Did Denver roll us in that trade? The didn’t need TBryant or use him at all, even when they load managed Jokic. Did they take away TBryant from us because they saw we’d have a better chance against them with him? Den gave up 3 second round pics to remove a Joker stopper and we fell for it lol!
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:38 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Thomas Bryant Thread

Receipts confirmed, good job! It’s easy to forget contributions considering how long a season actually is. TBryant did very well against Jokic but it’s hard to fathom…even with his hit streak (31/14, 29/14, 21/9 against Jokic)…thinking MLE for him but some actually did.

Being reminded of his well TBryant did against Jokic makes me wonder…Did Denver roll us in that trade? The didn’t need TBryant or use him at all, even when they load managed Jokic. Did they take away TBryant from us because they saw we’d have a better chance against them with him? Den gave up 3 second round pics to remove a Joker stopper and we fell for it lol!

No one was stopping Joker last year. One of the things which has changed is he's suddenly taking his fitness seriously.

Also Hayes >>> Mo.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Thomas Bryant Thread

No one was stopping Joker last year. One of the things which has changed is he's suddenly taking his fitness seriously.

Also Hayes >>> Mo.

TBryant owned Jokic, is the Joker stopper and shut him down completely! Lol!

Surely you had to know it was sarcasm…right?
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
Mo Bamba is a bum. He's going to be in China next year.

Prince is vastly superior to TBJ.

Reddish, LW4 - i don't know.

Vincent/Schroder - also, i don't know.

Taking a gamble of Reddish (with his height) over LW4, makes more sense now that we are deeper and with better shooting and defense?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: