“Eat Crow Thread” for MoB/TBj/LW4/Sho (FINAL)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:01 am    Post subject:

Schroeder vs Vincent- pointing fingers at Rob for that one for now, we’ll see what Vincent does now that he’s back but Dennis appears to be everything Gabe is on defense yet much better offensively. Rob should have spent the extra $2m to get Shro instead of Vincent.

Lonnie Walker vs Cam - don’t think it really mattered either way, No crow against me, no I told you so against Rob. LW4 could have helped 3pt%, Cam help some on defense, neither did much of anything else.

Brown vs Prince - don’t think it really mattered either way, no crow against me, no I told you so against Rob. It wasn’t Rob’s fault that Ham overplayed Prince, plus Taurean maintained his 3pt%. He was a liability doing nothing else, but neither did Brown. Still, could have used that BAE on an actual roster upgrade.

MoBamba vs Wood vs Hayes vs Gabriel - let’s be honest, Weynen is just thrown in, and expecting Hayes to be a different player was absurd imo…so I told you so there from me. But, I do like Hayes as a 3rd big off the bench tho and hope we keep him in case of emergencies. Wood was a disappointment and MoBamba didn’t get playing time but did seem to play decently when he did. Rob should have signed MoBamba for vet min when he added Hayes, and then swung for the home run adding Wood later. Bama no major difference maker for sure, but his length (7’10” wing span), rebounding, blocks, and even at low volume his 3pt capability >40% could have been useful, especially now. Definitely no crow for me here but I can’t solidly point fingers at Rob either since Bamba had a lack luster season. Still, there is no denying that if he was on the Lakers he would give some increase in the team’s effectiveness, especially heading into the post season with Wood out.

Final conclusion will occur at the end of the season but it looks like Shroeder is the only real significant mishap among these players from Rob. Still, Rob was given credit for an amazing off season by many fans and the media, it didn’t seem that way to me at the time and doesn’t look like it turned out that way looking at now. I’m think C or C+ for bringing back Dlo/AR/Rui as good and failing to get a decent bench with Vincent/Prince/Hayes as bad.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Schroeder vs Vincent- pointing fingers at Rob for that one for now, we’ll see what Vincent does now that he’s back but Dennis appears to be everything Gabe is on defense yet much better offensively. Rob should have spent the extra $2m to get Shro instead of Vincent.

Lonnie Walker vs Cam - don’t think it really mattered either way, No crow against me, no I told you so against Rob. LW4 could have helped 3pt%, Cam help some on defense, neither did much of anything else.

Brown vs Prince - don’t think it really mattered either way, no crow against me, no I told you so against Rob. It wasn’t Rob’s fault that Ham overplayed Prince, plus Taurean maintained his 3pt%. He was a liability doing nothing else, but neither did Brown. Still, could have used that BAE on an actual roster upgrade.

MoBamba vs Wood vs Hayes vs Gabriel - let’s be honest, Weynen is just thrown in, and expecting Hayes to be a different player was absurd imo…so I told you so there from me. But, I do like Hayes as a 3rd big off the bench tho and hope we keep him in case of emergencies. Wood was a disappointment and MoBamba didn’t get playing time but did seem to play decently when he did. Rob should have signed MoBamba for vet min when he added Hayes, and then swung for the home run adding Wood later. Bama no major difference maker for sure, but his length (7’10” wing span), rebounding, blocks, and even at low volume his 3pt capability >40% could have been useful, especially now. Definitely no crow for me here but I can’t solidly point fingers at Rob either since Bamba had a lack luster season. Still, there is no denying that if he was on the Lakers he would give some increase in the team’s effectiveness, especially heading into the post season with Wood out.

Final conclusion will occur at the end of the season but it looks like Shroeder is the only real significant mishap among these players from Rob. Still, Rob was given credit for an amazing off season by many fans and the media, it didn’t seem that way to me at the time and doesn’t look like it turned out that way looking at now. I’m think C or C+ for bringing back Dlo/AR/Rui as good and failing to get a decent bench with Vincent/Prince/Hayes as bad.

Fwiw, Rob didn't have the option to offer Dennis $2M more so bigger question is would Dennis have taken $2M less to stay in LA versus Toronto or after fumbling the bag a couple season ago and playing on minimum deals did he need to take the most money he could while his value was high?
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:

Fwiw, Rob didn't have the option to offer Dennis $2M more so bigger question is would Dennis have taken $2M less to stay in LA versus Toronto or after fumbling the bag a couple season ago and playing on minimum deals did he need to take the most money he could while his value was high?

Yes he did. Rob had the ability to offer Dennis the full MLE which would have been the $2m more that he got from Toronto. It was also reported initially that Dennis got slightly more ($13m) than the full MLE. It has since been seen that the full MLE is what Schroeder got and the Lakers had it to offer. The initial commentary that Shroeder signed for slightly more than the Lakers could offer turned out to be false. The Lakers could have offered the same. They just chose not to do so.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Lonnie, meh. He was hot for a stretch for the Nets, but he's fallen out of the lineup since. Which is basically what happened to him when he was with us last year. He's just not great. Cam should have had a better role with us, but unfortunately Ham is an idiot who overplayed him like a fool instead of using him as a spot POA defender.

Brown vs Prince isn't even close. Prince has been way better than TBJ. Prince has been legitimately good for us, just not in the huge role that Ham tried to force him into. TBJ is barely hanging on in the NBA at all. Prince would have been perfect in the more limited role he should have had, TBJ has been very bad on Detroit.

Bamba sucks. He also reportedly wasn't interested in coming back to the team at all for the minimum since he felt like it was a slap in the face to not get his option picked up. Unless you're suggesting the lakers should have kept him for 10 million, it wasn't really an option to keep him. And even if we could have kept him, why would we have wanted to? dude just isn't very good. He can kinda shoot, and kinda block shots, but not in any way that's really meaningful. Wood clearly was a bust even before he had his season ended by his knee, but probably would have been about equivalent to what we could have expected from Mo. Hayes has been a pleasant surprise after he's gotten back into the lineup after getting benched (deservedly so) for a decent stretch in the middle of the season. Overall, I'd say we're better off with Hayes than Bamba right now.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:24 pm    Post subject:

What's up with Lonnie? He hasn't broken through on a terrible Nets team either.
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Gabe is a better and more versatile defender than Dennis but he needs to stay healthy.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Schroder has a limit on how well he plays next to LeBron and AD due to his slow shooting motion. With that said he would add a dimension to this team's roster (athletic burst, basically) that is missing.
Robblake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow23_ wrote:
Gabe is a better and more versatile defender than Dennis but he needs to stay healthy.
I was impressed how he used his body vs a bigger guy in the paint vs the nets. I think he’s gonna have crucial moments in the playoffs where we least expect it.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:

Lonnie, meh. He was hot for a stretch for the Nets, but he's fallen out of the lineup since. Which is basically what happened to him when he was with us last year. He's just not great. Cam should have had a better role with us, but unfortunately Ham is an idiot who overplayed him like a fool instead of using him as a spot POA defender.

Brown vs Prince isn't even close. Prince has been way better than TBJ. Prince has been legitimately good for us, just not in the huge role that Ham tried to force him into. TBJ is barely hanging on in the NBA at all. Prince would have been perfect in the more limited role he should have had, TBJ has been very bad on Detroit.

Bamba sucks. He also reportedly wasn't interested in coming back to the team at all for the minimum since he felt like it was a slap in the face to not get his option picked up. Unless you're suggesting the lakers should have kept him for 10 million, it wasn't really an option to keep him. And even if we could have kept him, why would we have wanted to? dude just isn't very good. He can kinda shoot, and kinda block shots, but not in any way that's really meaningful. Wood clearly was a bust even before he had his season ended by his knee, but probably would have been about equivalent to what we could have expected from Mo. Hayes has been a pleasant surprise after he's gotten back into the lineup after getting benched (deservedly so) for a decent stretch in the middle of the season. Overall, I'd say we're better off with Hayes than Bamba right now.

The general consensus is that Rob improved the team by passing on Schro/LWalker/TroyBrown/MoBa and getting Vin/Cam/Prince/Hayes. Some gave him an A. I just couldn’t see it at the time and wanted a thread to track it. I said then that it didn’t look like an improvement and it doesn’t look like it was now. I was at least counting on Wood to avg double digits to make me eat crow but he sucked too! lol!

Mo Bamba
13mpg/4.6ppg/40%3pt/4.2rpg/1bpg

Wood
17mpg/6.9ppg/30.7%3pt/5.1rpg/0.7bpg

Hayes
12mpg/4.1ppg/0.0%3pt/2.9rpg/0.4bpg

I actually like Hayes better than Mo Bamba. There is something about Hayes that makes me root for him. Mo has the opposite affect lol. Still, it’s hard to justify saying we are better off with Hayes. Gotta go to subjective stuff like eye test, activity, hustle, maybe advanced stats, all of which could be valid. Objectively tho…wish we had both…Mo Bama looks as if he would have provided more. It’s ok if we disagree on that. Neither of them have played in such a way to earn major minutes in a playoff rotation.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject:

The only one of these players I actually miss is Schroder.

Bamba is a scrub and always was, so I am not sure why he is in this thread title. At least Lonnie showed flashes.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
The only one of these players I actually miss is Schroder.

Bamba is a scrub and always was, so I am not sure why he is in this thread title. At least Lonnie showed flashes.

He’s listed so that I could eat crow because he was so scrubby. Unfortunately, the replacements were just as bad or worse…so as bad as he was…I still don’t get to eat. Bummer
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Dennis is the only one I miss but it was the right move imo to let him go and get Gabe instead.

Dennis was a straight up liability defensively against the Nuggets and it's one of the things that killed us late in the games especially when there shooters were just going right over the top of him. This isn't anything against him as the effort was always there but knowing the Nuggets would very likely be the best team in the WC again it was the right move if our goal was to have a shot at winning it all knowing we could only make small improvements at best over the off Season.

I'm much more worried about our perimeter Defense against them then our Offense where Dennis is clearly better. Hopefully Gabe finally stays healthy and gets in a groove to end the Season and through the Playoffs. He might only be an inch or so taller then Dennis but he's got a good 30ish pounds on him and plays bigger guys significantly more tough then Dennis is capable of imo and that will be a huge difference maker if he can get right over the next few Weeks.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Lonnie Walkers since the all-star break:

7ppg / 0.7 assists / 2.2 rebounds / 0.3 steals / 33.6 FG% / 33.3 3p%

welcome to Back to Earth
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:46 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Dennis is the only one I miss but it was the right move imo to let him go and get Gabe instead.

Dennis was a straight up liability defensively against the Nuggets and it's one of the things that killed us late in the games especially when there shooters were just going right over the top of him. This isn't anything against him as the effort was always there but knowing the Nuggets would very likely be the best team in the WC again it was the right move if our goal was to have a shot at winning it all knowing we could only make small improvements at best over the off Season.

I'm much more worried about our perimeter Defense against them then our Offense where Dennis is clearly better. Hopefully Gabe finally stays healthy and gets in a groove to end the Season and through the Playoffs. He might only be an inch or so taller then Dennis but he's got a good 30ish pounds on him and plays bigger guys significantly more tough then Dennis is capable of imo and that will be a huge difference maker if he can get right over the next few Weeks.

This. You have to completely ignore Dennis being useless against Denver while Gabe helped take Miami to the Finals to say it was a bad move. It was the right move at the time and could still pay off.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
hype wrote:

This. You have to completely ignore Dennis being useless against Denver while Gabe helped take Miami to the Finals to say it was a bad move. It was the right move at the time and could still pay off.

This is actually a very good point. It seems the trouble with Shro was exaggerated…he did start the last game…and it wasn’t necessary to downplay Schro because it’s still a valid take. I don’t think it can be logically or legitimately questioned at this point…Schroeder would have been obviously better than Vincent as of right now…but the prospect of Vincent has always been imo his ability to significantly step up his game during the post season. That is still very possible. If Vincent had been healthy all season and still got out played I don’t think we’d be concerned, or even surprised, it is what we get from Vincent in the post season that will make him a better choice that Schro.

I do think we’d be 2 or 3 spots higher in the standings with Schro instead of Vincent…which could be pivotal…rest with automatic playoff 6/5 seed or at least avoiding an elimination game to start the play-in. But if Vincent better positions the Lakers to compete for a ship then good! For the record I think we should have brought back Schro, expecting a better post season since it would have been his 3rd season with AD/LBJ. But in response to this valid point, I won’t make a final evaluation when the season is over. I’ll carry it into the post season and if Vincent delivers I’ll gladly eat crow 🐦‍⬛!!!
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject:

They've already matched last season's win total that featured Dennis on the roster. So I don't know how to conclude that they'd have more wins with him this year. Exercise in hypotheticals either way.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
They've already matched last season's win total that featured Dennis on the roster. So I don't know how to conclude that they'd have more wins with him this year. Exercise in hypotheticals either way.

I didn’t conclude anything, speculated on that the same way you speculated on what Vincent might do. Anyway, the point is that there is a chance to prove you’re right about Vincent’s contributions in the post season and if it happens I’ll give props.

Schro did pretty well this season, and won FIBA mvp. It looks like it may have helped the Lakers win more this year tho some can’t gives props for that. Cool either way, I don’t expect it from others but for me fo sho I’ll give it if I’m wrong.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Schro did pretty well this season, and won FIBA mvp. It looks like it may have helped the Lakers win more this year tho some can’t gives props for that. Cool either way, I don’t expect it from others but for me fo sho I’ll give it if I’m wrong.

Props for what? Hypothetically helping the Lakers win more games than they did when he was actually on the roster?
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

Props for what? Hypothetically helping the Lakers win more games than they did when he was actually on the roster?

Yep! Exactly that! It’s cool tho! Let’s hope Vincent turns it on from here on out and make us forget that dude that’s no longer a Laker.

Go Vincent!
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:

Yep! Exactly that! It’s cool tho! Let’s hope Vincent turns it on from here on out and make us forget that dude that’s no longer a Laker.

Go Vincent!

Gabe freaking Vincent 🤣

Last 3 games = Triple bagel. A new stat lol! Zero pts 3 games in a row.

2 for 23 from 3 = 8.7%
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
hype wrote:

This is actually a very good point. It seems the trouble with Shro was exaggerated…he did start the last game…and it wasn’t necessary to downplay Schro because it’s still a valid take. I don’t think it can be logically or legitimately questioned at this point…Schroeder would have been obviously better than Vincent as of right now…but the prospect of Vincent has always been imo his ability to significantly step up his game during the post season. That is still very possible. If Vincent had been healthy all season and still got out played I don’t think we’d be concerned, or even surprised, it is what we get from Vincent in the post season that will make him a better choice that Schro.

I do think we’d be 2 or 3 spots higher in the standings with Schro instead of Vincent…which could be pivotal…rest with automatic playoff 6/5 seed or at least avoiding an elimination game to start the play-in. But if Vincent better positions the Lakers to compete for a ship then good! For the record I think we should have brought back Schro, expecting a better post season since it would have been his 3rd season with AD/LBJ. But in response to this valid point, I won’t make a final evaluation when the season is over. I’ll carry it into the post season and if Vincent delivers I’ll gladly eat crow 🐦‍⬛!!!

Schro on the Lakers would have been out the whole season with a season ending surgery in preseason.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:01 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
manlisten wrote:
hype wrote:

Schro on the Lakers would have been out the whole season with a season ending surgery in preseason.

Anyone out for the season not playing for the Lakers…including me and you…would still match Vincent’s point total added up over the last three games.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:09 am    Post subject:

<snip>

Gabe freaking Vincent 🤣

2 for 23 from 3 = 8.7%

I'm not surprised all.
First he just got back from a serious injury.
Second ask yourself why his trajectory looks so similar to Dinwiddie's - folks here were absolutely crucifying him too his first several games. Answer: both were tasked only with defense, to not control the ball at all and only take shots on broken plays as the 5th option on offense.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:

<snip>

Gabe freaking Vincent 🤣

2 for 23 from 3 = 8.7%

I'm not surprised all.
First he just got back from a serious injury.
Second ask yourself why his trajectory looks so similar to Dinwiddie's - folks here were absolutely crucifying him too his first several games. Answer: both were tasked only with defense, to not control the ball at all and only take shots on broken plays as the 5th option on offense.

The point is that I don’t see a realistic logical way to spin 3 straight zeros and 2 for 23 for a 8.7% from 3 as positive with whatever else has been contributed. Say nothing because it’s early to cut some slack or expose the negative. Either way, it hasn’t been positive imo.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject:

…if both entities in a comparison suck or if both are good no cap. Heck, even if there is a reasonable difference it shouldn’t matter. The only thing that should move the needle on serving a crow dish would be if one is a flop and the other is a productive contributor. Not necessarily all star numbers but something that the past performance should have been able to predict like:

MoB— 10+ppg, 7+rpg, 2+bpg 38% 3pt
Hay— <6ppg, <3rpg, <1bpg 30% 3pt
neither significant impact

TBj— 15ish ppg, 6ish rpg, 38% 3pt shooting, Drtg 111,
TaP— <10 ppg, <4 rpg, about 30% 3pt shooting, Drtg rating < TBj
Brown bad, Prince about as predicted with better 3pt%

LW4— 15ish ppg, 38% 3pt shooting
Cam— <10 ppg, 33% 3pt shooting
neither significantly impactful with LWIV good 3pt%

Sho— 15ish ppg, 38% 3pt shooting, 6apg
Vin— <10 ppg, 33% 3pt shooting, <4apg
ad predicted for calling out Rob for bad move

I like Hayes for the 3rd big off the bench, however he was what he has been as predicted, not what many said he was going to be. Mo Bamba wasn’t good either and couldn’t crack the line-up in Philly. Perhaps he really sucks in practice/sessions. He was somewhat productive (40% 3pt, 1bpg) with the minutes he got but he did little to earn more playing time. Wood was a bonus addition by Rob and was a good gamble but was a disappointment.

Taurean Prince gets a lot of flack but he was actually decent for the Lakers. More than what Troy Brown was for Min/Det. However, again, Prince was what I figured he would be, a 3pt shooter maybe, but definitely nothing else, not defensivly, playmaking, nor rebounding. Frankly, I would have preferred Brown still for backcourt defense and rebounding but want no part of either for the $4m BAE as both provided vet min type impact.

The Lakers already have 2 guards that aren’t good defenders in Dlo/AR so it made sense to gamble on Cam Reddish but Cam looks to have flamed out. Lonnie Walker only avg about 10ppg but did shoot well from 3 @ 39% but would have needed to have a much better season for me to point fingers.

Dennis Schroeder is the only real concern that came close to both players getting about the numbers predicted for a definitive finger pointing scenario.
Shro 14ppg, 37.5% from 3, 6.1apg.
Vin 3.4ppg, 11.1% from 3, 2apg.

It is important to realize this is an eat crow thread for me to see if any of the acquired players had an impact that justified moving away from the existing players that were here. I would say no crow for me on any of them and finger pointing at Rob for Shro/Vincent. We will see what Vincent does in the post season. He still has a chance to redeem Rob’s decisions.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: