***2023/2024 NBA Playoffs/Playins Discussion thread***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 266, 267, 268  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject:

OK that aces/liberty WNBA finals game was a lot of fun. Really good game.

#AloneInMyPrincipals lol
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Completely different expectations for this season than the 4 straight years of GSW/Cavs. It’s hard to predict how it will shape up.
West contenders:
Lakers
Nuggets
Suns
Warriors
Flippers
Kings
Grizz

Longshots:
Mavs
Pels
Wolves
OKC

Just think, one isn’t even gonna make play in and three won’t make the playoffs.

East is a little easier:
Bucks
Keltics
Philly? (pending)

Longshots:
Cavs
Heat (blackballed after Heatles? Lol, Dame pursuit and wiff on Jrue hurt)
Knicks
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Completely different expectations for this season than the 4 straight years of GSW/Cavs. It’s hard to predict how it will shape up.
West contenders:
Lakers
Nuggets
Suns
Warriors
Flippers
Kings
Grizz

Longshots:
Mavs
Pels
Wolves
OKC

Just think, one isn’t even gonna make play in and three won’t make the playoffs.

East is a little easier:
Bucks
Keltics
Philly? (pending)

Longshots:
Cavs
Heat (blackballed after Heatles? Lol, Dame pursuit and wiff on Jrue hurt)
Knicks

My early, but not so definitive thoughts on the west-

1) Even though Jokic is god-tier right now, I think Nuggets will have championship fatigue. It will be tough for them to finish the season healthy. Besides, odds are not in their favor to repeat, given how there's been a new champion every year since 2018.

2) Grizzles have always been pretenders to me, although Marcus Smart adds an element of toughness to the team. Ja will be out for the first 2 months, but it doesn't matter since they still win without him. They'll fumble in the playoffs as usual, and I predict Ja will be the subject of most trade rumors.

3) Warriors need their youth to step it up. Dray, Klay and Steph won't have it every night. They need Kuminga to take it to the next level for them to have championship-level success. Not sure if he can reach that level of consistency.

4) Suns will score 130 but give up 120. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

5) Kings are scary to me. I think they have a nice formula with Fox and Sabonis. Their offense will be efficient but they have to be a top 10, if not top 5 defensive team to have playoff success.

6) Wolves are like the Grizz to me. I'm not sold on them. Edwards is good but he's an isolation player. Doesn't bode well for playoff success.

7) Clippers are a joke. I don't need to write anything about them.

West is wide open IMO. I don't think the Suns have the defense. Lakers will beat most teams except maybe nuggets in a 7 game series. Depth and health are the keys to playoff success.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject:

One of the biggest challenges to a successful run at #18 for the Lakers this year may have been on full display for the last preseason game, that’s Ham.

It’s wasn’t entirely his fault with Vin/Fin out as PG options with all the other players capable of running the team being starters in Dlo/AR/LBJ resting. But Cam? Lol!

Sure it’s just preseason but other Players potentially not put in the best situation to succeed…seemingly out of position…could be a prob for the season:

Vin at SG - sure there are a few sub 6’4” SGs in the league but should be avoided if possible.

Prince at SG - maybe he can play it but should he? Known for SF/PF duties.

AR at SF - oh with Ham it likely will be tried for a 3 guard line up, perhaps it works in some situations but overuse or employed ineffectively at the wrong times could be a prob.

Van at PF - height allows it but much more effective guarding wings.

Rui at SF - agility seems more suited for PF work, can he move his feet well enough to guard wings? Hasn’t looked so in the past, has slimmed so maybe.

Wood at PF - dude is a C if that.

LBJ at C - actually worked ok for stretches last year but most effective elsewhere.

AD never at PF - despite his preference the team insists on constructing a roster that has him exclusively at C.

Come on Ham, we’re counting on you man!!! Positionless basketball I get it, but we need you to put players in a position that results in advantages for the Lakers that have positive results!!!
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject:

We have a very tough schedule to start the season. If we are at 0.500 after the first ten games, I’d be happy. If we are better than that, I’ll be ecstatic. Hopefully the nagging injuries Vando and Gabe have been suffering from clear up and we have a healthy lineup against the Nuggets and Suns.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
We have a very tough schedule to start the season. If we are at 0.500 after the first ten games, I’d be happy. If we are better than that, I’ll be ecstatic. Hopefully the nagging injuries Vando and Gabe have been suffering from clear up and we have a healthy lineup against the Nuggets and Suns.

I can totally see this team losing to the top contenders early in the season like they did to start 2020. Might take them more than 10 games to really gel together. I usually give teams 20-25 games, before you can tell if the team will be a contender or not.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:

I can totally see this team losing to the top contenders early in the season like they did to start 2020. Might take them more than 10 games to really gel together. I usually give teams 20-25 games, before you can tell if the team will be a contender or not.

Starting .500 won't cut it for this team. The Lakers have to think about getting home-court advantage and make that a goal. I'd be happy if they're 7-3 after their first 10 games, especially since that would mean at least one or two wins against the good and great teams we'll play in those games.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject:

Bummer wemby is on the SAS.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

If the Spurs don't run the offense through him, they will officially be the dumbest team in the league and/or tanking. It's one thing to take open transition 3s, but Wemby gives them a solid offensive foundation to work with. Either have him run point or give him the ball in the low post. Draw the double and then kick out to the open man. Easiest basketball ever, even though the three ball mafia will say it's "inefficient".
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

If the Spurs don't run the offense through him, they will officially be the dumbest team in the league and/or tanking. It's one thing to take open transition 3s, but Wemby gives them a solid offensive foundation to work with. Either have him run point or give him the ball in the low post. Draw the double and then kick out to the open man. Easiest basketball ever, even though the three ball mafia will say it's "inefficient".

It's looking like the only thing that could stop him from having a dominating career is health.

I've seen alot of hyped up longbois. Porzingis, Bol Bol, Chris Boucher. But Wemby looks like the real deal. He's longer than the rest. His defensive IQ is higher than the rest. And his offensive skillset is the closest to KD I've seen.

If I could put $ on him getting ROY. I would.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject:

https://x.com/adryanashton/status/1715534318993318328?s=46&t=LZLzjVPmosqPbICOlCZLnQ

Manufactured superstars will never win, but go ahead and keep relying on all those flops and free throws for regular season stats.

Embiid seemed to have learned a lot from Harden lol.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://x.com/adryanashton/status/1715534318993318328?s=46&t=LZLzjVPmosqPbICOlCZLnQ

Manufactured superstars will never win, but go ahead and keep relying on all those flops and free throws for regular season stats.

I tried to watch part of that game and it was just utterly unwatchable.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Wemby and Vassel are working really well together. Don't sleep on Vassel, he'll probably be the Spurs top scorer for at least the first half of the season. I think he was putting up at least 20 points in the pre season and he seems real dangerous from 3
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

We rag on Embiid and rightfully so, but Shai takes it to another level. He's the foul merchants of all foul merchants. There's a reason his cousin shut him down in the play-in game. When the refs don't call it like they do in the regular season, the frauds get exposed in the playoffs. But here's the thing: I blame neither of these players. I blame the new rules that overwhelmingly favor offensive players. I blame officials for not allowing defenders to breathe on opponents.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

If I could put $ on him getting ROY. I would.

This is something you can actually bet on
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject:

4 biggest takeaways from 2023-24 NBA preseason
The NBA preseason is in the books. So what did we learn ahead of Tuesday's season-opening TNT doubleheader?

https://www.nba.com/news/4-biggest-takeaways-from-preseason
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
    4 biggest takeaways from 2023-24 NBA preseason
The NBA preseason is in the books. So what did we learn ahead of Tuesday's season-opening TNT doubleheader?

https://www.nba.com/news/4-biggest-takeaways-from-preseason

Chris Paul is too old to run the GSW motion offense for much more than preseason type minutes, but is fitting the scheme well right now.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject:

Can you imagine if Shaq was a flopper?

Not a single human being would believe his flopping attempts.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject:

And so it begins. Those new player rest rules are off to a great start.

Quote:
Phoenix Suns star Bradley Beal is unlikely to play tonight in season opener vs. the Golden State Warriors, league sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Suns are taking a cautious approach with Beal’s back ailment to begin the new season.

Last edited by ocho on Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Can you imagine if Shaq was a flopper?

Not a single human being would believe his flopping attempts.

It has worked for Letank a few times so you never know
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
And so it begins. Those new player rest rules are off to a great start.

Quote:
Phoenix Suns star Bradley Beal is unlikely to play tonight in season opener vs. the Golden State Warriors, league sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Suns are taking a cautious approach with Beal’s back ailment to begin the new season.

I wonder how they will enforce it. League is soft as hell today.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NBACentral
@TheDunkCentral
Charles Barkley is picking the Boston Celtics to win the NBA title

(🎥
@BenGolliver
)
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Megaton"]Can you imagine if Shaq was a flopper?

Not a single human being would believe his flopping attempts. [/quote

He would cause an earthquake
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject:

I honestly think Jokic has the MVP locked up if he's healthy. How do you stop such a talent.

Would be his 4th in a row if they got it right.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Quote:
NBACentral
@TheDunkCentral
Charles Barkley is picking the Boston Celtics to win the NBA title

(🎥
@BenGolliver
)

BUCK FOSTON
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 266, 267, 268  Next
Page 2 of 268
Jump to: