Dodgers 2024 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 119, 120, 121  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:36 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Came across this little nugget: 37% of active pitchers have had Tommy John surgery.

Wow!

I wonder what it was like 20 years ago.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:35 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Came across this little nugget: 37% of active pitchers have had Tommy John surgery.

Wow!

This graph also showed that the floor velocity of pitchers is way up, while the max/ceiling velocity has essentially stayed the same, over the past 10 years. What we essentially have is an era where everybody's trying to max out and throw as hard as they can, and not even low pitch counts and extra days between starts makes a real difference. The guys are not only getting hurt anyway, but the injuries have ratcheted up exponentially, almost equal to the floor velocity increase.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:26 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

This can’t be right?

Quote:
Jon Roegele
@MLBPlayerAnalys

At the end of the 2023 season, 35.7% of all non-position player pitchers had had Tommy John surgery at some point in their lives. 11 more have had it since, bumping that percentage up to 37.0%.

Seems credible. Just hard to believe.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Wow!

Guys need to learn to Greg Maddux it, and stop trying to Randy Johnson it.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like Buehler won't be ready after 5 rehab starts:

Quote:
Walker Buehler’s long-awaited Dodgers return might require more waiting

Buehler hopes to check the final box in his return from a second Tommy John surgery when he makes his fifth minor league rehabilitation start, this one for triple-A Oklahoma City, at Albuquerque on Wednesday night.

But he acknowledged that, in light of his uneven performance in his first four games, he might need two more starts before returning....

Quote:
[Buehler's 1st start]

Buehler began his rehab stint for Oklahoma City with a March 31 start at Tacoma, where he gave up three earned runs and three hits, struck out two and walked two in a 54-pitch effort.

Quote:
[Buehler's 2nd start]

He pushed his pitch count to 65 in his next start for Oklahoma City on April 6, blanking Albuquerque on two hits, striking out six and walking none over 4 ⅔ innings.

Quote:
[Buehler's 3rd start]

But Buehler suffered a setback with Class-A Rancho Cucamonga on April 12 when he was struck in the right middle finger by a comebacker and had to come out of the game after throwing only 27 pitches in two innings, well short of his 80-pitch target.

Quote:
[Buehler's 4th start]

His next and most recent start, for Oklahoma City last Thursday night, was a bit of a slog. The first four Sacramento batters he faced reached base in a two-run first inning. Buehler completed just 2 ⅔ innings, giving up two earned runs and four hits, striking out three and walking four.

Buehler threw just 68 pitches, well short of his target of 80-85 pitches, and half of them were balls.

Quote:
Quote:
“Not great,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said last week, when asked how Buehler has looked during his rehab stint. “Not great.”

What do Roberts and the Dodgers need to see from Buehler?

Quote:
“Command,” Roberts said. “He hasn’t pitched in a long time, but when you’re [about to be] pitching for us, you have to be good, too. I expect him to dial it in.”

He has touched 96 mph with his fastball in his rehab starts and believes his velocity will improve when he returns to the big leagues.

Quote:
“I think everyone hopes the adrenaline [of a major league game] will make you throw harder,” Buehler said. “My velo has been OK, but maybe we’ll get a tick or a little bump. You guys have seen me for a few years and know that I’m pretty emotional [on the mound], so I think I’m definitely excited to feel everything again.”

If Buehler can get his pitch count up to 85-90 over five innings and show consistent command of his secondary pitches, he could return to the Dodgers rotation next week for the first time since June 10, 2022.

But it has already been almost two years since Buehler has pitched in the big leagues, and the Dodgers aren’t going to rush his return. If he needs one more minor league start after Wednesday night’s game, so be it.

Quote:
“We’re just trying to figure out where he is physically,” Roberts said. “The pitch count is getting up. The stuff was much better [last week], arguably as good as it’s been in a long time. So that’s good.

“He just couldn’t land the curveball. I appreciate he was making an effort to do that. But the [between-starts] bullpen was good, so he’s in a really good spot. But to get him up and down five times in his next outing, I think, will be very helpful.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2024-04-23/walker-buehler-long-awaited-return-timeline

Remember when Buehler was pushing to come back for the playoffs last September? That seems like a joke now.

And then remember when they said they were pushing back Buehler's start this yr because they wanted to preserve his arm/innings for the playoffs?

So many excuses...
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Our pitchers aren’t fooling anyone…. Paxton getting hit hard
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:21 pm    Post subject:

"We expect his velocity to return..."

Yeah, they said this about Syndergaard last year too. At least Buehler is actually throwing a lot harder than Syndergaard was last year, but when we say stuff like this, I tend not to believe it.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Let’s see if we can cash in Mookie
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Jesus Shohei...118 mph exit velocity.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:42 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Jesus Shohei...118 mph exit velocity.

outfielders didn’t even move
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject:

4-1 win … nice
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Dave Roberts is our hitting coach:

Quote:
Dodgers' Roberts working with Ohtani on plate discipline

ESPN News Services

Dave Roberts thinks Shohei Ohtani can be even better with more plate discipline with runners in scoring position.

The Los Angeles Dodgers manager approached the two-time AL MVP about a week ago to discuss how Ohtani could better control the strike zone.

Quote:
"I thought he was expanding a little bit more than he needed to," Roberts said Tuesday. "So, I just wanted to have a conversation with him."

"Any time he swings the bat he can change the game, and now being even more disciplined in the strike zone just makes him more scary," Roberts said.

"He is doing a great job with everyone," Roberts said. "The hitting coaches are kind of building a really good relationship and trust. I see him more [now]. Before you sort of just see him when he gets in the batter's box. So, he's around a lot more, which is a good thing, too."

Roberts is going to turn Ohtani into Max Muncy.

Look at 2 strikes down the middle, fall into an 0-2 count; battle back to a 3-2 count then strike out swinging.

Max Muncy = Plate discipline
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Looks like Dave Roberts is our hitting coach:

Quote:
Dodgers' Roberts working with Ohtani on plate discipline

ESPN News Services

Dave Roberts thinks Shohei Ohtani can be even better with more plate discipline with runners in scoring position.

The Los Angeles Dodgers manager approached the two-time AL MVP about a week ago to discuss how Ohtani could better control the strike zone.

Quote:
"I thought he was expanding a little bit more than he needed to," Roberts said Tuesday. "So, I just wanted to have a conversation with him."

"Any time he swings the bat he can change the game, and now being even more disciplined in the strike zone just makes him more scary," Roberts said.

"He is doing a great job with everyone," Roberts said. "The hitting coaches are kind of building a really good relationship and trust. I see him more [now]. Before you sort of just see him when he gets in the batter's box. So, he's around a lot more, which is a good thing, too."

Roberts is going to turn Ohtani into Max Muncy.

Look at 2 strikes down the middle, fall into an 0-2 count; battle back to a 3-2 count then strike out swinging.

Max Muncy = Plate discipline

Yeah...I mean, does Shohei really need hitting advice from Dave? What for?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:04 am    Post subject:

^
Ohtani is the least of my worries, at least as long as a righty pitcher is in the game. If it's a lefty, OK, I might rather have Betts up.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:41 am    Post subject:

hope i'm witch hunting here, but a serious of events led me to believe Roberts deep down not that thrilled Dodgers signed Ohtani.

told public Ohtani had met with Dodgers even though Ohtani's camp wanted them to keep it quiet.

mentioned how Ohtani's ex-interpreter was an obstacle in communications between them

now offer batting tips to a MVP, gave impression like Ohtani was the problem for team's slow start.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
hope i'm witch hunting here, but a serious of events led me to believe Roberts deep down not that thrilled Dodgers signed Ohtani.

told public Ohtani had met with Dodgers even though Ohtani's camp wanted them to keep it quiet.

mentioned how Ohtani's ex-interpreter was an obstacle in communications between them

now offer batting tips to a MVP, gave impression like Ohtani was the problem for team's slow start.

Just my opinion on those things.

1. I was on record when Roberts blurted out about the meeting because it was known in the organization that it was a done deal and and that's why he said what he said. If it was critical, that revelation to the public could have ended his tenure here. And all the information that came out regarding Shohei and the Dodgers points to the fact that Shohei was coming here all along...it was written in the stars.

2. Him saying the interpreter was an obstacle was actually a staunch defense of Shohei. It was basically adding more fuel to the fire that IppeI was a guy that can not be trusted. It not so many words, he effectively said: "We couldn't really communicate properly with Shohei while Ippei was here. He was always a buffer between what was said and what was relayed to Shohei. I'm sure that the rest of Shohei's team, from his money managers to accountants to lawyers had the same hurdles."

3. I can't speak on this lol. I haven't really followed any of quotes that might suggest this.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Next headlines:

- Roberts takes Glasnow aside and shows him a new grip which will increase his velocity + spin rate.

- Roberts takes Friedman aside and shows him how he can draft better.

- Roberts takes Musk aside and gives him tips on how to build better cars.

- one time, Roberts took Vin Scully aside and gave him tips on how to be a better broadcaster.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Bad news on Graterol, as he got shut down again from throwing. The odds of us trading for an impact reliever are increasing. At least Treinen is supposed to start a rehab assignment very soon.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Will Knack make it out of the second inning?
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:18 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Wow!

Greg Maddux only became a junk baller at the end of his career when his velocity dropped.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Will Knack make it out of the second inning?

Yes!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Pages just hit a ball inside off the plate out to left field. What awesome power he has.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
defense wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Wow!

Greg Maddux only became a junk baller at the end of his career when his velocity dropped.

True but even at his absolute peak in 94 and 95 he consistently had a fastball less than 90 mph. But during this time a 90 mph fastball is equivalent to what we would consider 95 mph today.

Speaking of players from times past, I wonder if we will EVER see a Brett Butler/Tim Raines type hitter ever again. That ideal lead-off hitter with little power that bats 0.300+ and has a OBP of 0.400+. I mention Butler because there were few Dodgers more popular in the 90s than Butler. Dude seemed to be favorite for all Dodger fans.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject:

11-2 win.

20 hits(!!!) and only 1 home run.

I like it! No more all or nothing please.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
defense wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Wow!

True but even at his absolute peak in 94 and 95 he consistently had a fastball less than 90 mph. But during this time a 90 mph fastball is equivalent to what we would consider 95 mph today.

Speaking of players from times past, I wonder if we will EVER see a Brett Butler/Tim Raines type hitter ever again. That ideal lead-off hitter with little power that bats 0.300+ and has a OBP of 0.400+. I mention Butler because there were few Dodgers more popular in the 90s than Butler. Dude seemed to be favorite for all Dodger fans.

We should.

Only reason why we might not is that, those players will try to incorporate some power into their game.

Trea Turner strikes me as a Brett Butler type. Dude seems pretty small in stature. But somehow, he could also hit 20 HRs. Who knows.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 110, 111, 112 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 111 of 121
Jump to: