Dodgers 2024 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 119, 120, 121  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Outman 0-5 today.

Yeah, he's just lost at the plate. Dude is so streaky. He's really Bellinger part 2 for us, without the same talent. Just extremely streaky.

He's either really good or really bad. Only thing that's consistent about him are the K's.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:49 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Outman 0-5 today.

Yeah, he's just lost at the plate. Dude is so streaky. He's really Bellinger part 2 for us, without the same talent. Just extremely streaky.

He's either really good or really bad. Only thing that's consistent about him are the K's.

I liken him to a less talented Ethier but actually not as lost as Ethier in lefty-lefty matchup.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:25 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Outman 0-5 today.

Pages is lapping him
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Guessing Taylor is done for good except in maybe spot up duty?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:01 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Guessing Taylor is done for good except in maybe spot up duty?

If Pages is on the roster for good, then someone has to be off the roster when Heyward comes back:

Quote:
Starting Lineup:
1) Betts (SS)
2) Ohtani (DH)
3) Freeman (1B)
4) Smith (C)
5) Muncy (3B)
6) Teoscar Hernandez (LF)
7) Outman (CF)
8) Pages (RF)
9) Lux (2B)

Bench:
10) Rojas (INF)
11) Barnes (C)
12) Kike (INF/OF)
13) Taylor or Heyward (OF)

Heyward plays better D in the OF, is a lefty, but only on a 1 yr deal.

Taylor is more versatile, is a righty, and has 2 yrs left at $30M (including this yr).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:24 pm    Post subject:

^ Thanks LBP. Posts like that are why I come back to this thread.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:13 pm    Post subject:

^^^

Oh, another option I didn't think about:

If Outman is still struggling by then, he still has options. He could be sent down. I think Pages can play CF, and Heyward would be in RF.

That should also be an option as well.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:44 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
^^^

Oh, another option I didn't think about:

If Outman is still struggling by then, he still has options. He could be sent down. I think Pages can play CF, and Heyward would be in RF.

That should also be an option as well.

I agree that this is the most likely solution. They most likely only want to release Taylor as an absolute last resort. If Outman is struggling, it's an easy excuse to just send him down for a while, and then maybe if he gets hot down there, you call him back up and IL someone. But regarding Heyward, I thought I heard yesterday that he's nowhere close to returning.

Here's something else I was thinking. With Heyward certainly not a long-term solution on our club, with Teoscar only on a 1-year deal, and since I am extremely worried about Outman long-term (just way too inconsistent and unreliable), I would wholeheartedly explore trading Outman and possibly another prospect or two as part of a package to acquire a solid outfielder. As Outman was worth 3.4 WAR last season and still has 5 years of team control remaining (including this one), and as he isn't even arb-eligible until 2026, I could see another team having legit interest in him. And it actually doesn't even have to necessarily be an outfielder that we get back. Just something useful. For example, it's been discussed that perhaps this year we'll actually trade for a high-impact reliever.

In thinking about some of those types on teams that are floundering, Mason Miller (A's), Tanner Scott (Marlins), and Michael Kopech (White Sox) come to mind. Miller looks absolutely electric and as he can't even be a free agent until 2030 (he's just gotten started), this would have to be a blockbuster that included a lot more than Outman; we're talking top prospects as well. I don't even know if the A's would consider moving him, but they aren't going to be good for at least a couple of years, and closers on bad teams have almost no value. I'd consider this an extreme longshot though because of how much time Miller still has before he even gets close to arbitration. Scott is a different story, completely on the other end of the spectrum, as he's going to be a free agent, so you're just talking about a rental here. (So you wouldn't have to give up Outman for him, but likely a decent prospect or two.) Scott is off to an 0-4 start and really struggled with command for his first few outings, but he ended last year almost unhittable and it's not like he's getting hit hard so far this year. (The early walks are skewing his WHIP, but he's a fireballer.) Lastly, Kopech, a former top prospect who was the headliner in the Chris Sale trade a few years ago and who has been oft-injured but is healthy now, is going to be a free agent after the '25 season. With the White Sox being one of the worst teams in baseball history over a team's first 25 games, it really does make sense for them to move him this year and get a lot more value for 1+ years of him than if he's just a strict rental going into next year. That team is so far away from being a contender that they have no hope of being competitive even next year. His fastball looks great this year (averaging 98.8 MPH, which is a career high) and he's struck out 19 in 12.1 IP. Just to compare, Miller is averaging 101.2 (!!!) on his fastball and Scott is the soft-tosser of the trio at 96.7.

One last name I'll throw in is Devin Williams, if he happens to come back and looks fully healthy before the trade deadline. I don't know that the Brewers will be floundering, but Williams is a little pricey this year and next for a team that is budget-conscious ($7MM this year and a $10.5MM team option next season), and they have young fireballer Abner Uribe waiting in the wings, not to mention another hard-thrower, Tylor Megill. And Payamps has been good for them, so if they manage to stay in contention this year without Williams, they may figure that it's time to cash in. Ditto Willy Adames, although he would be more difficult to replace, but hey, he's going into free agency.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject:

I get where you’re going with that, but man, I hate trading actual good pieces for a reliever of any kind — they can be lights out one year and mediocre the next. Miller’s elbow is also a question as he had to shut down and rehab last year. I think the only type of reliever I’d actually trade for would be a guy with a LONG proven track record, and teams just don’t move them. For a young guy who just put up 3.4 war I’d be targeting a starter or position player.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
I get where you’re going with that, but man, I hate trading actual good pieces for a reliever of any kind — they can be lights out one year and mediocre the next. Miller’s elbow is also a question as he had to shut down and rehab last year. I think the only type of reliever I’d actually trade for would be a guy with a LONG proven track record, and teams just don’t move them. For a young guy who just put up 3.4 war I’d be targeting a starter or position player.

I would trade Outman for Mason Miller faster than you can say 103 MPH fastball . Unlike Graterol when he threw 100, hitters don't pick up the ball on Miller. He made the heart of the Yankees order the other day look downright silly. Silly, I tell you! Seriously though, he misses bats. He looks really, really good. But, again, the A's are probably not in a hurry to deal him since he's just getting his career started. Someone like Kopech is probably much, much more attainable. I've seen some Dodger Twitter stuff that's still connecting us to Jansen as well, for whatever that's worth. That wouldn't be where I'd want to go, to say the least. He's still reasonably effective but yeah, not what I'd want to do.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Man, Glasnow is really an ace for us this yr huh?

Just when we were teetering, at 12-11, dude pitched a gem and started us back on the winning path. We're 15-11 now and could be 16-11 by the end of the day.

Glasnow has had shades of Kershaw this year.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject:

^ Yeah and it lessens the pressure on Yamamoto. If Glasnow/Yamamoto is even 85% of Kershaw/Greinke we're in a real good place with our top 2.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Yamamoto has been very good so far. Take away his very first inning in Korea and he's been what we thought he would/could be. His K rate is 4th-best in the majors among starting pitchers. His ERA stands at 3.54, again, with a 5-run 1st inning when he debuted.

Also, the "struggling, what's wrong with him?" Freddie Freeman is back over .300. I'd like to struggle like that lol.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Yamamoto has been very good so far. Take away his very first inning in Korea and he's been what we thought he would/could be. His K rate is 4th-best in the majors among starting pitchers. His ERA stands at 3.54, again, with a 5-run 1st inning when he debuted.

Also, the "struggling, what's wrong with him?" Freddie Freeman is back over .300. I'd like to struggle like that lol.

If Yamamoto can start elevating his fastball a bit more, look out
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Excluding the Korea game, he's got a 2.0 ERA over the other 5 games.

NOICE.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:48 pm    Post subject:

Sweep!
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Sweep!

Yamamoto with 6 scoreless innings and the 2-1 win with key hits by Freddie
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject:

I expect Ohtani to be on this list one day

Too bad Stargell's 506ft moon shot wasn't included. Stargell's was the only one to truly leave Dodger stadium & the pavilion (w/o hitting the roof)

Last edited by JerryWest_44 on Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
^ Yeah and it lessens the pressure on Yamamoto. If Glasnow/Yamamoto is even 85% of Kershaw/Greinke we're in a real good place with our top 2.

I actually think Yamamoto is better than what 2014/2015 Greinke was back then - as in Yamamoto's pitch mix/movement and for sure velo was better than the past Greinke. I wont go as far as to say Glasnow could rival 2014/2015 Kershaw though. That version of Kershaw, at least in the regular season could be compared to the very best such as Pedro, Maddux, Brown, Johnson etc.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Also unfortunately, its a (bleep) time to be in baseball other than the money. For hitters, you are facing velo and movement past players did not have to consistently deal with and hence, the crappy batting averages on the whole compared to years of yesteryear.

For pitchers, as we talk about on here - lessening longevity due to this extra strain on velo/movement.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Anyone see Yamamoto catch the comebacker? That thing was a rocket going straight for his nose!

https://streamable.com/hnqy58
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Anyone see Yamamoto catch the comebacker? That thing was a rocket going straight for his nose!

I saw it after it happened, yeah. They say he has great reflexes; I guess he won the equivalent of the Gold Glove in the NPB at least a couple of times.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Remarkable play! But the flipside is also how scary close that was to him being seriously hurt.

It's a scary enough whenever there's a comebacker to the pitcher. But when the guy in question is one which our team just committed $300M+ over 12 years, it's a situation I'd be okay with if it never happened again.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject:

One of the reasons why they decided to move Betts permanently to the infield was that they noticed he performed better last yr offensively while playing 2B.

Seems like the trend has continued this yr. Somehow, running around in the outfield takes away from his offense.

I couldn't find the stats but I found this unconfirmed stat on reddit:

Quote:
He had a 1.004 OPS as an infielder vs .969 as an outfielder. For his career, he's at .994 as an infielder and .891 as an outfielder.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
One of the reasons why they decided to move Betts permanently to the infield was that they noticed he performed better last yr offensively while playing 2B.

Seems like the trend has continued this yr. Somehow, running around in the outfield takes away from his offense.

I couldn't find the stats but I found this unconfirmed stat on reddit:

Quote:
He had a 1.004 OPS as an infielder vs .969 as an outfielder. For his career, he's at .994 as an infielder and .891 as an outfielder.

This is pretty cool, and certainly seems to be working too so far

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 119, 120, 121  Next
Page 112 of 121
Jump to: