Dodgers 2024 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 127, 128, 129  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject:

I dont like Pages at-bats either. It is Puig-lite in 2013 where it was all great in the beginning and then he slowly started getting exposed and got really embarrassed by St. Louis. He needs to control the strike zone better else he will be another one who strikes out with runners on in a high-leverage playoff game. Just look at the at-bat where he got the blooper game-winning hit. Yea...hooray he got the game-winning hit yesterday.....his process was god-awful swinging at complete garbage and completely losing his discipline and is something he WILL BE exposed in the playoffs. If I was Friedman and Roberts, I wouldn't think that was a good AB at all.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:22 am    Post subject:

Pages is like a less talented Puig and Mondesi. Puig and Mondesi both were touted to have MVP talent when they were young. Pages....not so much. We will be tearing our hair out watching him soon enough. A kid with this level of understanding of the strike zone who is over-anxious.....yea the good/great wont last with this kind of process when even more talented ballplayers in our past had major ups and downs. The greatest upside and Im talking best case scenario for Pages realistically is probably Mondesi/Puig. 0.330 hitter????? Yea right....more like 0.250-0.260 with ~20 HRs.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 7:15 am    Post subject:

^

Can’t be worse than watching Outman/CT3 take ABs before Pages was called up.

Quote:
Yea right....more like 0.250-0.260 with ~20 HRs.

That’s great for where he was rated (#93 prospect)
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:34 am    Post subject:

Not a fan of resting Muncy after 3 dongs to field a dumpster fire lineup with CT3 and Barnes.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 10:22 am    Post subject:

Treinen activated, but Phillips to the IL with a hamstring strain, Grade 1 according to Roberts.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Pages is like a less talented Puig and Mondesi. Puig and Mondesi both were touted to have MVP talent when they were young. Pages....not so much. We will be tearing our hair out watching him soon enough. A kid with this level of understanding of the strike zone who is over-anxious.....yea the good/great wont last with this kind of process when even more talented ballplayers in our past had major ups and downs. The greatest upside and Im talking best case scenario for Pages realistically is probably Mondesi/Puig. 0.330 hitter????? Yea right....more like 0.250-0.260 with ~20 HRs.

.250/.260 hitter with 20 homeruns is something we'd happily take at the bottom of the order. Anything else (like he's doing now) is just gravy.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject:

OK, the Angels do suck after all; they are now 12-22. Chicago is awful, as expected. However, in a huge surprise, the A's have leveled their record at .500 after a hot stretch.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Ohtani with a 2 run bomb.

Ohtani: Nice 3 home run game yesterday
Muncy: Thanks. We are tied in the total count now.
Ohtani: Hold my beer.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:

I have to remind myself he's a pitcher too lol.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:09 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

I have to remind myself he's a pitcher too lol.

An Ace pitcher
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:15 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Not a fan of resting Muncy after 3 dongs to field a dumpster fire lineup with CT3 and Barnes.

CT.077 is just a complete disaster at the plate
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Got to love Joe Kelly. Even when he was young and during the year he beaned Hanley Ramirez, dude could pitch in big moments and games.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Blake T looking good
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject:

🧹🧹🧹
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Nice length from Paxton today, even if it came with just 3 strikeouts (but just 2 walks). The K/BB ratio remains awful but he's getting by so far. Ohtani leads the majors in most hitting categories and both homers today were off lefties. A nice season debut for Treinen. SWEEP!
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers always keeping me happy in May when the Lakers and Kings are ruining the mood. So thankful for this team.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject:

We just need Ohtani to be like Matsui and Yamamoto to be like Tanaka in the postseason. Whats crazy is quite literally the only Japanese born hitter more gifted than Matsui ever is Ohtani and more gifted than Mr. Perfect Season Tanaka was Yamamoto. As Sheffield said, the real killers in the mid-2000s Yankees lineup was not Jeter or A-Rod or Giambi or Posada......it was Sheffield himself and Matsui. Tanaka was a real bulldog of a Japanese pitcher. In fact, he was/is the only Japanese-born pitcher that really gives off that tough bulldog vibes.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Here's something flying under the radar that could be a positive development: Miguel Vargas has been exclusively playing LF in AAA and he has a .996 OPS in 111 AB's. As Taylor continues to hit under .100 (hell, he's under .080), it's possible that we could be looking at Vargas as an option to start in the OF against lefties in the coming weeks. Perhaps you go with an OF of Vargas-Pages-Teoscar with Kike playing 2B instead of starting in the OF against lefties. So this means that instead of Rojas in the lineup against lefties, you'd essentially be replacing him with Vargas.

If nothing else, hopefully he's increased his trade value.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject:

i'm happy the team is hitting on all cylinder. but MLB regular season is such a long journey, teams that peaked early usually don't do well heading into the postseason. couple things i want to add:

1. i do not want Kershaw come back and take Gavin Stone's spot in the starting lineup, the kid has been great after the rough start. don't let Kerchoke ruin the team mojo.

2. Andy Pages is playing great, i hope Dave Roberts don't over manage him, and turn him into a platooning player. the guy is in a rhythm, just let him play.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i'm happy the team is hitting on all cylinder. but MLB regular season is such a long journey, teams that peaked early usually don't do well heading into the postseason. couple things i want to add:

Yes, as Dodgers fans that's the unfortunate truth that we've been faced with in this recent run under the Guggenheim ownership. Consistently looking unbeatable in the RS, especially Jun/Jul/Aug, and then flaming out in October. We always tell ourselves "this year is going to be different", and it truly feels that way, but I guess we'll see!

"This year is going to be different! We have Ohtani and Yamamoto now!"

Quote:
1. i do not want Kershaw come back and take Gavin Stone's spot in the starting lineup, the kid has been great after the rough start. don't let Kerchoke ruin the team mojo.

I get what you're saying, but I think the biggest difference (and my hope) is that Kersh isn't going to be looked at or relied upon like he's a #1. We have Glasnow and Yamamoto now as 1A and 1B. Everyone else is kind of in flux due to injuries. I think Kersh can still be serviceable, but he shouldn't be anything more than a 4th or 5th starter for us.

Quote:
2. Andy Pages is playing great, i hope Dave Roberts don't over manage him, and turn him into a platooning player. the guy is in a rhythm, just let him play.

I too hope that Doc (and/or the FO) continues to let him play. They've given some long leashes to other guys in the past.

With CT3 struggling, J-Hey injured, and Kike able to play all over the field, there really isn't any reason to not give Pages every opportunity to play and ride this current streak and to also work through any struggles along the way.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Shota Imanaga has been waaaay better than I expected so far. 5-0 with a 0.78 ERA in his first 6 starts. It will be interesting to see his numbers as the season goes on (obviously we’re still just in May), but pretty amazing so far from a guy that was projected to be a #3 or #4 starter.

Yamamoto was clearly better than him in Japan so that makes me even more optimistic about Yamamoto, who has had great numbers himself after his first start in the league.

Quote:
With his fantastic start to his career in the states, Imanaga is in some rare company in baseball history, per Sarah Langs of MLB.com:

lowest ERA in 1st 6 career starts, since ER official in both leagues (1913) excluding openers:

1981 Fernando Valenzuela: 0.33
1945 Dave Ferriss: 0.50
1913 Bob Shawkey: 0.75
2024 Shota Imanaga: 0.78

LINK

Pretty cool to see Valenzuela at the top of the list.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
We just need Ohtani to be like Matsui and Yamamoto to be like Tanaka in the postseason. Whats crazy is quite literally the only Japanese born hitter more gifted than Matsui ever is Ohtani and more gifted than Mr. Perfect Season Tanaka was Yamamoto. As Sheffield said, the real killers in the mid-2000s Yankees lineup was not Jeter or A-Rod or Giambi or Posada......it was Sheffield himself and Matsui. Tanaka was a real bulldog of a Japanese pitcher. In fact, he was/is the only Japanese-born pitcher that really gives off that tough bulldog vibes.

I'd say Ichiro Suzuki was the most gifted of the Japanese-born hitters to play in the U.S. Major Leagues.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

I'd say Ichiro Suzuki was the most gifted of the Japanese-born hitters to play in the U.S. Major Leagues.

Ohtani is a much more talented hitter. Ichiro was a great average hitter but he didn't have much power and he didn't really get on base a ton, considering how high his batting average was; Max Muncy's career on-base % is about the same, for example, and his batting average is 82 points lower than Ichiro's for his career. Ohtani may not rack up the hits but he's a better and more dangerous hitter overall. Think Pete Rose for Ichiro. And that obviously has value, so I'm not trying to argue that Ichiro wasn't great. But Ohtani is on another level. He has a career 152 OPS+; Ichiro was at a measly 107.

Now, perhaps you were arguing solely based on their NPB numbers? It's true that Ichiro had a higher OPS than Ohtani by about 100 points in Japan, however Ohtani was very young in his 5 NPB seasons, while Ichiro played 9 seasons there. But if we're just going off the NPB, Hideki Matsui was a better hitter there than Ichiro was.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:51 pm    Post subject:

I've been thinking about Vargas today and wondering if he could get a crack at second base (even though he's been playing the outfield in AAA) if we end up sending Lux down. Rather than just defaulting to Rojas, maybe you give the kid with upside a shot at the job that he was supposed to hold down last year but couldn't? Who knows, maybe his hand was never right last season, he's healthy now, and maybe he'll be a post-hype sleeper for us. We know what we have in Rojas; he wouldn't embarrass us as the #9 hitter and at least he puts the ball in play and we know his defense will be good. But you might have legit upside with Vargas, perhaps one year later than we thought. He's still just 24 years old.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Ichiro had a ton of speed and got extra hits because of it. Also some extra doubles and triples.

The media would say that Ichiro could compete in the home run derby and showed more power in practice than people realized he had, but I don’t know what to think of that.

I thought I remembered him being very clutch.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 118, 119, 120 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Page 119 of 129
Jump to: