Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 127, 128, 129  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Shota Imanaga has been waaaay better than I expected so far. 5-0 with a 0.78 ERA in his first 6 starts. It will be interesting to see his numbers as the season goes on (obviously we’re still just in May), but pretty amazing so far from a guy that was projected to be a #3 or #4 starter.

Yamamoto was clearly better than him in Japan so that makes me even more optimistic about Yamamoto, who has had great numbers himself after his first start in the league.

Quote:
With his fantastic start to his career in the states, Imanaga is in some rare company in baseball history, per Sarah Langs of MLB.com:

lowest ERA in 1st 6 career starts, since ER official in both leagues (1913) excluding openers:

1981 Fernando Valenzuela: 0.33
1945 Dave Ferriss: 0.50
1913 Bob Shawkey: 0.75
2024 Shota Imanaga: 0.78

LINK

Pretty cool to see Valenzuela at the top of the list.

Shota gave up 2 runs in 7 innings yesterday so the era is at 1.08 after 7 starts.

Here they say Yamamoto is at 1.64 since his first start.

Link

Just a hypothetical and I can’t remember but was there a chance the team could have signed both of them AND added Glasnow?

On a positive note I’ve been much happier with the starting rotation recently.

Dude is a dog too....you can see it. Dudes got the fire I dont necessarily see in Yamamoto and definitely NEVER saw in Darvish. Dude will be a left-handed Tanaka. Thing with Yamamoto though is he seems like the type that doesnt get flustered or show much emotion. Nomo was like that too....only reason Nomo got smashed in the playoffs that people dont realize is not because he was soft or mentally weak but dude was overworked to the point he was throwing 80 mph fastballs from his usual 90 mph by the time the playoffs rolled around. Thats the reason Lasorda would have Nomo as the 3rd starter behind Ismael Valdes and not the usual #2 after Ramon Martinez.

In terms of stuff, Yamamoto is essentially a better than prime Greinke.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
There’s a game on NOW? So many early games recently wow.

There's a lot of afternoon games when one of (or both) teams need to travel across the country for their next series. It especially makes sense when there is a game the following day, but in this case neither the Marlins nor the Dodgers play until Friday - which made me curious.

I then came across this article regarding this very subject

Quote:
Major League Baseball will require teams to start many games earlier than normal beginning in 2018, thanks to a provision in the new labor agreement that goes into effect when either team faces a flight longer than 2½ hours after the game.

Sources told ESPN that the getaway-day changes will apply if a team has a game -- or even an off day at home -- the next day.

The new rules also will prohibit teams from scheduling an early-afternoon game the following day if one of the clubs played a night game in a different city the evening before.

The changes were adopted after the players' union made scheduling and start times a priority in the labor talks, in an effort to reduce the wear and tear of travel and sleep deprivation.

Players have long complained about the number of trips that force teams to arrive at their next destination at 5 a.m. local time or later, allowing for just a few hours of sleep before it's time to go to the ballpark.

LINK
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I see that Chris Taylor is trending and apparently he had a 4-pitch AB that ended in a strikeout where he never swung? With a couple of sliders basically catching the middle of the plate? Yikes. It's been a good run, but he's been trending the wrong way for 4 seasons in a row so sadly, I don't think this is a fluke. He's either going to get IL'd or DFA'd soon, unless he happens to have a minor league option remaining, and then maybe they actually send him down to get some semblance of confidence back, if that's even possible. They just can't keep doing this. He's 4-for-55. Damn.

No options except in the fever dreams of Dodger fans. He can agree to be sent down tho.

I seriously don’t understand this. We all have our favs and biases…I thought I would never forgive Friedman when he traded Kemp away (lol) and I ride or die on Kershaw’s hill every year. Heck even at the start of the year when Kike was struggling I was hopeful of a turnaround and am hoping the same for Lux/Outman.

But like Stu said, this is now year after year for Taylor. I think last year he was better but that was a one off? I could be wrong. It’s not just his numbers, he looks awful. He’s not making contact, let alone hitting the ball hard. He also makes an insane amount of money.

I get the big moments he’s had but we have had years now to get over it. This isn’t someone pulling the rug from under all of a sudden. The signs have been there, Dodger fans need to just accept it. Obviously it’s not all of us, it’s a big portion that is dwindling down with every AB, but there’s still a lot of fans that want to “stick” with him like Doc said he would. There is no time, or place.

I think he was just saying that he has no minor league options remaining. Which means that he can refuse a minor league assignment and choose free agency instead. For example, we could send Lux back down to the minors and he has no choice but to accept it and just go. I was wondering if Taylor may have had an option remaining, but he did exhaust them years ago so, no dice.

Yes I totally misread that. My bad Expat

Not sure why I was thinking he meant some Dodger fans are dreaming of Ct3 resurgence. Getting confused spending all that time on Dodgers subreddit and here.

No problem probably I didn't word it the best. He'd be gone already but for the salary they would be paying him to sit on his sofa. Sunk cost falacy .

But man isn't T. Hernandez living up to his k?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 5:03 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I see that Chris Taylor is trending and apparently he had a 4-pitch AB that ended in a strikeout where he never swung? With a couple of sliders basically catching the middle of the plate? Yikes. It's been a good run, but he's been trending the wrong way for 4 seasons in a row so sadly, I don't think this is a fluke. He's either going to get IL'd or DFA'd soon, unless he happens to have a minor league option remaining, and then maybe they actually send him down to get some semblance of confidence back, if that's even possible. They just can't keep doing this. He's 4-for-55. Damn.

No options except in the fever dreams of Dodger fans. He can agree to be sent down tho.

I seriously don’t understand this. We all have our favs and biases…I thought I would never forgive Friedman when he traded Kemp away (lol) and I ride or die on Kershaw’s hill every year. Heck even at the start of the year when Kike was struggling I was hopeful of a turnaround and am hoping the same for Lux/Outman.

But like Stu said, this is now year after year for Taylor. I think last year he was better but that was a one off? I could be wrong. It’s not just his numbers, he looks awful. He’s not making contact, let alone hitting the ball hard. He also makes an insane amount of money.

I get the big moments he’s had but we have had years now to get over it. This isn’t someone pulling the rug from under all of a sudden. The signs have been there, Dodger fans need to just accept it. Obviously it’s not all of us, it’s a big portion that is dwindling down with every AB, but there’s still a lot of fans that want to “stick” with him like Doc said he would. There is no time, or place.

I think he was just saying that he has no minor league options remaining. Which means that he can refuse a minor league assignment and choose free agency instead. For example, we could send Lux back down to the minors and he has no choice but to accept it and just go. I was wondering if Taylor may have had an option remaining, but he did exhaust them years ago so, no dice.

Not sure why I was thinking he meant some Dodger fans are dreaming of Ct3 resurgence. Getting confused spending all that time on Dodgers subreddit and here.

No problem probably I didn't word it the best. He'd be gone already but for the salary they would be paying him to sit on his sofa. Sunk cost falacy .

Extension?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Extension?

He's in his age-31 season (turns 32 in October), and we gave him $23.5MM this year. An extension would actually lower the AAV, almost certainly. Have we seen enough already for that kind of commitment? If he'd take 3 additional years at anything less than $20MM a year, maybe we'd consider it. This is his first season with a positive dWAR, which is interesting, which explains that he's only garnered a career 14.3 WAR to this point. But since his age-27 season, he's posted an OPS+ of 128 or better in every year except last season, in Seattle, where right-handed power hitters go to die. And it's not like his BABIP is a fluke this year, and his walk rate is up. There is a lot to like in his hitting profile, so it's kind of a question of whether or not you think the defensive positivity is here to stay and whether or not he might get "fat and happy", so to speak, if we paid him. I'm guessing we wouldn't extend him, are happy with how he's doing as a highly-motivated player in a walk year, and we'll perhaps take a look at retaining him over the winter.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Snipes wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Extension?

He's in his age-31 season (turns 32 in October), and we gave him $23.5MM this year. An extension would actually lower the AAV, almost certainly. Have we seen enough already for that kind of commitment? If he'd take 3 additional years at anything less than $20MM a year, maybe we'd consider it. This is his first season with a positive dWAR, which is interesting, which explains that he's only garnered a career 14.3 WAR to this point. But since his age-27 season, he's posted an OPS+ of 128 or better in every year except last season, in Seattle, where right-handed power hitters go to die. And it's not like his BABIP is a fluke this year, and his walk rate is up. There is a lot to like in his hitting profile, so it's kind of a question of whether or not you think the defensive positivity is here to stay and whether or not he might get "fat and happy", so to speak, if we paid him. I'm guessing we wouldn't extend him, are happy with how he's doing as a highly-motivated player in a walk year, and we'll perhaps take a look at retaining him over the winter.

This dude is going to drive us crazy in the playoffs.....as all players who strikeout a lot inevitably do.....but his K rate is a little too much. And you know how it often goes in the playoffs....high leverage moment high K player steps and up strikes out
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject:

^
His K rate so far is in line with his career norms. At least with this player, he's not one of our stars, he's in a supporting role. And he's putting a damn hurt on the baseball often when he puts it in play. I'd much rather have this than Peralta, I'll say that! Sure, give me Arraez over Teoscar all day (similar OPS's), but on a 1-year deal, this is working out really well so far.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 7:00 pm    Post subject:

My goodness are the Rockies absolute dog-(bleep).....such a beautiful city and ballpark too. Plus their fans are much more devoted to their team than the garbage Marlins since 1993 and yet....throughout their history its been one failure after another and their history pales in comparison to the Marlins even though the Rockies have historically been willing to spend - especially pitching: remember Bill Swift, Bret Saberhagen, Mike Hampton, Darryl Kile and Denny Neagle? All high-priced pitching busts. When the best thing about your team in 30 years of existence is getting swept in the World Series and the Blake Street Bombers of the 90s that never won a playoff series....you got an organizational problem
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject:

Glasnow's been better than advertised as a legitimate ace but man did we give up on Deluca or Pepiot too soon ala Busch?

In a perfect world a Busch could help net an ace in Burnes or Cease while possibly retaining Deluca to be our long term CF while having Pages in RF.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Glasnow's been better than advertised as a legitimate ace but man did we give up on Deluca or Pepiot too soon ala Busch?

In a perfect world a Busch could help net an ace in Burnes or Cease while possibly retaining Deluca to be our long term CF while having Pages in RF.

I hated giving up on Pepiot.

Deluca’s been hurt. Any news on how he’s doing? Is he back?

It’s hard to 2nd guess Friedman but somehow in my mind, I doubt the trade market for Glasnow was that hot.

Here are the reasons:

Quote:
1) He only had 1 yr left

2) I think he preferred getting an extension

3) There were other starters available such as Burnes, Cease and Sale

4) There were also free agent starters available. Glasnow pretty much got more money than 2 time Cy Young winner Snell. How insane is that?.

Regarding Pepiot, dude seems durable and an innings eater with 5 yrs of control remaining. That’s such a great asset.

Looks like Gavin Stone is in the same mold.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Fri May 10, 2024 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject:

Deluca finally made his Rays debut this week and if off to a scorching start over there.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Deluca finally made his Rays debut this week and if off to a scorching start over there.

Damn.

Looks like we hung onto Outman too long.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

At least Glasnow is kicking ass as advertised for our team. Just gotta hope he stays healthy.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

At least Glasnow is kicking ass as advertised for our team. Just gotta hope he stays healthy.

Yeah, I mean, the Rays still have a crowded OF and DeLuca may not end up as an everyday player, though he's off to a nice start this week. Pepiot was the tougher guy to part with but, again, we have those type of guys in our system and we got a legitimate, if brittle, ace.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject:

Good news regarding Muncy’s defense:

Quote:
Max Muncy has been a player with the potential to hit 30 home runs in a given year, while his defense has been woeful since taking over for Justin Turner at third base. This season, Muncy has made it a mission to improve his defense, per Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times.

Quote:
“He’s on a mission to … I don’t want to say prove to everybody that he can still field — he’s always done it — but I think he’s at a point now where he’s like, ‘Hey, you know what? I’m going to be a good third baseman.’ He’s working hard, it’s paying off, and everybody knows he’s playing well. He’s locked in.”

The hard work is indeed starting to pay off. After registering as one of the worst defensive third baseman last season, Muncy already has two outs above average this season, ranking him within the 83rd percentile.

https://www.truebluela.com/2024/5/10/24153285/dodgers-rotation-plans-max-muncy-will-smith-shohei-ohtani-mookie-betts

Also good news regarding our infield defense:

Quote:
Dodgers notes: Infield defense, Walker Buehler, Shohei Ohtani

The Dodgers’ infield has been a pleasant surprise so far thanks to top-ranked defense.

The Dodgers’ infield has become a surprising asset, writes Doug Padilla at the OC Register. Once thought to be the team’s weakest link, infield defense is dramatically exceeding expectations.

The team shook things up by moving Gavin Lux out of shortstop, Mookie Betts into the position, and Miguel Rojas into a backup role. Now, the infield is third in the major leagues in FanGraphs’ defensive runs saved ranking.

That accomplishment has been a team effort, said manager Dave Roberts. He noted that Betts, Lux, and Max Muncy, still at third base, have all put in significant work to ensure top performance. Rojas, for his part, has fit seamlessly into a mentorship role and makes a point of sharing his expertise whenever possible.

Quote:
“Everyone wants to play every day, but to feel that you can do things to be additive and help your teammates out and to help us win baseball games, he’s done that,” Roberts said of Rojas

Pitchers, too, have contributed: Thanks to a strong start on the mound, infielders have had a chance to breathe as they settle in to their roles this season.

https://www.truebluela.com/2024/5/9/24152670/dodgers-infield-defense-walker-buehler-shohei-ohtani
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject:

^
Yes, Muncy hasn't made an error, seemingly, in a long while. Mookie has been better than expected, and Lux has been his normal self at second despite the Spring Training throwing issues. Still not convinced this will stick for Muncy, but so far, so good.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Yes, Muncy hasn't made an error, seemingly, in a long while. Mookie has been better than expected, and Lux has been his normal self at second despite the Spring Training throwing issues. Still not convinced this will stick for Muncy, but so far, so good.

I am, for a couple of reasons:

Quote:
1) He hadn’t been our regular 3rd baseman until recently (when JT moved on). He was primarily our 2nd baseman /1B / DH.

2) He works hard at it and is intent to improve. I don’t think he’ll revert back to the bad Muncy at 3rd base. He might not be able to maintain his 83rd percentile rating, but he shouldn’t be a bad 3rd baseman either.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Heyward is taking live BP at Petco Park right now, according to David Vassegh on his Twitter (with a short video for proof). Says his return is "imminent." I wonder if he'd go out on a rehab assignment first or if we will just activate him without that. If so, an Outman/Taylor decision could be coming shortly.

https://twitter.com/THEREAL_DV/status/1789047315522875396
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:51 pm    Post subject:

I’ll be shocked if CT3 is DFA’d

Turns out to be one of the worst contracts of the Friedman era
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 5:50 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
I’ll be shocked if CT3 is DFA’d

Turns out to be one of the worst contracts of the Friedman era

Either a phantom injury to CT3 or Outman gets sent down when JHey is a full go.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Hell of a pitcher's duel at Petco tonight. 1-1 game after 8. Treinen just pitched the bottom of the 8th and he had a shot at an immaculate inning on the 9th pitch, but Merrill fouled it off and ended up lining out to center. Treinen hit 95 tonight and the slider is video game-like with the movement.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject:

And we lose in 9. Grove's streak of 10 straight scoreless appearances is no more. Arraez walks it off for the ones with the disgusting uniforms.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 8:12 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
And we lose in 9. Grove's streak of 10 straight scoreless appearances is no more. Arraez walks it off for the ones with the disgusting uniforms.

Muncy hitting into an inning ending double play was disgusting
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 8:14 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I was shocked that you said Grove had a streak of 10 straight scoreless appearances so I looked it up.

I don’t see it. Am I missing something?

Looks like 4/28 he gave up 3 runs to Toronto? So 9/10 scoreless?

Still pretty good though.

Or was it 10 straight as a reliever and he started that game?
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Of course Grove still sucks.

Also why are we pitching to Arraez? First base open I rather face Tatis right now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 121, 122, 123 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Page 122 of 129
Jump to: