Total Votes : 23

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Richard Sherman is still advocating fiercely for Brock Purdy or CMC to be the MVP. His argument is the individual statistics. He says QBs with under 30 TDs never win MVP and Lamar has 19 TDs and 7 INTs with 2 weeks to go. He isnt finding many people to agree with him however.

Brock Purdy currently has 29 TDs and 11 INTs. CMC has 14 rushing TDs and 7 receiving TDs.

And CMC has the potential to absolutely obliterate the Washington defense this week, if the 49ers want to get him all the stats. In addition to the TD's, CMC also has over 1,900 scrimmage yards. He has a realistic shot of finishing with more than 2,200.

Adrian Peterson won the award when he rushed for 2,097 yards. McCaffery has rushed for 1,387 to date. He has 5 weeks to catch Adrian. Eric Dickerson holds the single season rushing record with2,105 yards.

He's not going to catch him in rushing yards, but for a player like CMC who is a great receiver also, you have to look at total yards from scrimmage. In AP's MVP season, you mentioned his rushing yardage, and his total YFS was 2,314 (in 16 games). CMC will not reach that total in 16 games, and probably not in 17, either. Still, in what has become a passing league, his YFS total is incredibly impressive.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Richard Sherman is still advocating fiercely for Brock Purdy or CMC to be the MVP. His argument is the individual statistics. He says QBs with under 30 TDs never win MVP and Lamar has 19 TDs and 7 INTs with 2 weeks to go. He isnt finding many people to agree with him however.

Brock Purdy currently has 29 TDs and 11 INTs. CMC has 14 rushing TDs and 7 receiving TDs.

And CMC has the potential to absolutely obliterate the Washington defense this week, if the 49ers want to get him all the stats. In addition to the TD's, CMC also has over 1,900 scrimmage yards. He has a realistic shot of finishing with more than 2,200.

Adrian Peterson won the award when he rushed for 2,097 yards. McCaffery has rushed for 1,387 to date. He has 5 weeks to catch Adrian. Eric Dickerson holds the single season rushing record with2,105 yards.

An aside. Has anyone using Google Chrome experienced slow loading lately?

Loading well for me. Restart your (bleep).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I did and it quicked up

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:51 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I did and it quicked up

Three engineers are riding in a car.

One is a mechanical engineer, one is an electrical engineer, and one is a computer engineer.

The car breaks down and coasts to the side of the road.

"Hang on," says the mechanical engineer. "The problem is probably the engine, let me have a look at it and I'll have us on the road again in no time."

"Wait," says the electrical engineer. "The way it just stopped like that, I think it's the electrical system. Let me have a look and I'll get us going again in a minute or two."

"Hold on," says the computer engineer. "Why don't we all just get out of the car and get in again, and then see if it starts?"
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
jodeke wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I did and it quicked up

Three engineers are riding in a car.

One is a mechanical engineer, one is an electrical engineer, and one is a computer engineer.

The car breaks down and coasts to the side of the road.

"Hang on," says the mechanical engineer. "The problem is probably the engine, let me have a look at it and I'll have us on the road again in no time."

"Wait," says the electrical engineer. "The way it just stopped like that, I think it's the electrical system. Let me have a look and I'll get us going again in a minute or two."

"Hold on," says the computer engineer. "Why don't we all just get out of the car and get in again, and then see if it starts?"

I get it. Apropos Classic I made up quicked.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:33 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Sherman is just trying to represent for the team he played for. And to keep things interesting on Undisputed.
Peyton won an MVP in '08. He didn't crack 30 TDs. Not all NFL seasons are the same. This year, passing stats are down compared to past seasons.

Sherman's also being silly. Everybody knows. MVP is a mixture of 2 things. Stats and winning record. You can argue stats matter more than wins. But you can't argue, only stats matter.

Also, side note. If you are going to count CMC's total touchdowns. You should count Lamar's total touchdowns as well.

I'm biased though. I've been a Lamar fan for a while now.
I actually do believe Lamar, when he says he doesn't care about MVP though. I believe him when he says, all he wants is the Super Bowl. Lamar could've racked up alot more touchdowns if he cared about it. Gus Edwards has 12 TDS this season. Alot of those are short yardage gimmes.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject:

I expect it will go to Lamar Jackson but for sake of argument, Josh Allen is far and away the Fantasy Football points leader and what he has done in the second half of the season taking Buffalo out of the grave is very impressive.

I still think he might actually be underrated, I put him at #1 at the QB position in the NFL as we sit today.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I expect it will go to Lamar Jackson but for sake of argument, Josh Allen is far and away the Fantasy Football points leader and what he has done in the second half of the season taking Buffalo out of the grave is very impressive.

I still think he might actually be underrated, I put him at #1 at the QB position in the NFL as we sit today.

Disregarding where teams stand and records. Let's go by skills. Quarterbacks I rate above Josh Allen. In no particular order.

Joe Burrow
Lamar Jackson
Justin Herbert
Patrick Mahomes

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

He has a cannon for an arm. And with his size he is the most difficult QB to take down in the league.

But his decision making is embarrassing sometimes. 6 seasons. 165 passing touchdowns.75 interceptions. 51 rushing touchdowns. 56 fumbles (only 15 recovered).
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Like I said in the NFL thread a while back, the MVP is a meaningless popularity contest.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Like I said in the NFL thread a while back, the MVP is a meaningless popularity contest.

Do you think that holds in all sports?

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Lamar just wrapped it up today with a 5-TD game.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Lamar just wrapped it up today with a 5-TD game.

They engraved the trophy with his name last week
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Lamar added another game to his MVP resume. He played lights out. 5 TD's, rushed for 35 yards. Tau was exposed. But as Yogi used to say "It Ain't Ova Till It's Ova." He also said, "The Future Ain't What It Use To Be. " RIP Yogi

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Lamar added another game to his MVP resume. He played lights out. 5 TD's, rushed for 35 yards. Tau was exposed. But as Yogi used to say "It Ain't Ova Till It's Ova." He also said, "The Future Ain't What It Use To Be. " RIP Yogi

It's over. Lamar isn't even going to play next week, in all likelihood, unless they want to play him for a series or two just so he has some game action before the bye week for them. The only way he would lose it would be to have a Purdy-like disaster game. Just not in the cards anymore. He locked it up today.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yes
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yes

By the very nature of how these things are determined, that is how it is across the board.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yes

By the very nature of how these things are determined, that is how it is across the board.

Popularity is sometimes a factor but stats are also determinators. That makes the award iffy.

Quote:

2010 stats

Brady- 34 Tds- 4 INTs - 3,701 Yards, 109.8 QB Rating

Vick- 21 Tds- 6 INTs- 3,018 Yards, 100.2 Rating

Brady won the MVP

Quote:
How is this exactly a debate? Michael Vick is easily the more popular this year than Brady, but should a feel good story win you an award that is given because your ability on the field? Stats don't lie, If Brady doesn't get the NFL MVP something is wrong with voters, that's my opinion however. I respect what Michael Vick has done on the field and has bounced back the way he has, however if the award is based on stats, it's not even close.

2011 stats

Rodgers: 4,643 yds, 45 TDs, 6 INTs

Brees: 5,476 yds, 46 TDs, 14 INTs

Rogers won the MVP

Quote:
Because of the hype surrounding Rodgers entering the season, he was the odds-on favorite to win the MVP from day one. Obviously he didn't do anything negative to take himself out of the running, so many of the voters likely feel obligated to give Rodgers the MVP.

LINK

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Popularity is sometimes a factor but stats are also determinators. That makes the award iffy.

Pretty much true for all sports. Sometimes a guy just gets the pub and everyone seems to roll with it and sometimes it seems that the individual voter's definitions of MVP changes from season to season.

One thing seems to be pretty certain though: MVP's do matter to the winner and to the runners-up,
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Pretty much true for all sports. Sometimes a guy just gets the pub and everyone seems to roll with it and sometimes it seems that the individual voter's definitions of MVP changes from season to season.

One thing seems to be pretty certain though: MVP's do matter to the winner and to the runners-up,

YUP! Adds to their resumes and attracts endorsements.

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Sherman is just trying to represent for the team he played for. And to keep things interesting on Undisputed.
Peyton won an MVP in '08. He didn't crack 30 TDs. Not all NFL seasons are the same. This year, passing stats are down compared to past seasons.

Sherman's also being silly. Everybody knows. MVP is a mixture of 2 things. Stats and winning record. You can argue stats matter more than wins. But you can't argue, only stats matter.

Also, side note. If you are going to count CMC's total touchdowns. You should count Lamar's total touchdowns as well.

I actually do believe Lamar, when he says he doesn't care about MVP though. I believe him when he says, all he wants is the Super Bowl. Lamar could've racked up alot more touchdowns if he cared about it. Gus Edwards has 12 TDS this season. Alot of those are short yardage gimmes.

That was my bad, Sherman may have included the rushing TDs. I think Lamar has 29 total TDs through 16 games now. He also broke down percentage of the teams touchdowns, which past MVPs all had higher numbers than him.

That Payton Manning MVP season, Peyton led the NFL in QBR, led the NFL in 4th quarter comebacks, and led the NFL in game winning drives.

Lamar is not leading in a single statistic.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:23 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
kikanga wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

That was my bad, Sherman may have included the rushing TDs. I think Lamar has 29 total TDs through 16 games now. He also broke down percentage of the teams touchdowns, which past MVPs all had higher numbers than him.

That Payton Manning MVP season, Peyton led the NFL in QBR, led the NFL in 4th quarter comebacks, and led the NFL in game winning drives.

Lamar is not leading in a single statistic.

My buddy made the same pivot from the 30 TD measuring stick to not leading in a statistic earlier today.

He's leading in Rushing yards for QBs.

And if he wanted to. He'd have 10 more touchdowns with all the Gus Edwards 1st and Goal gimme TDs this season.

I actually like Purdy and McCaffrey. My buddy, who I was talking to about this is a huge SF fan. And after he bought access to the PFF stats, and did a deep dive. He was alot less upset about Lamar getting MVP.

Lamar's just done more with less support than the other MVP candidates.

Last edited by kikanga on Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:58 am    Post subject:

Last thing I'll say about Lamar is. If the pro-bowl was decided just by fans. He wouldn't have made it this year at QB. The votes weren't there. He only made it because fan vote is only 1/3 of the decision.

Once players and coaches votes were factored in for the other 2/3 of the decision. Then he made it. I think Vic Fangio summed it up. You have to defend 2 plays with him (every snap). And when opposing teams look at the tape. You can see it on their faces: https://streamable.com/wg52pj .

In terms of the fans. I think most who downplay his value (MVP or otherwise). Would swap their QB for him in a second if given the chance. And they'd sing a different tune about his value.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:24 am    Post subject:

MVP is Lamar Jackson's to lose. a good portion of Purdy's passing yards were YAC variety. Prescott still can't win big games on the road, etc. but you'd have hard time to come up with one shortcoming for Lamar this season.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject:

I think Dak is under the most pressure to get to the championship game. He's playing the best he has for some time. The Dallas window has grease on the slide slots. The window is closing. It's now or I don't know when. Dak's legacy is really on full display. He has a reputation for not being able to win the big one. He has a chance to dispel it or cement it. This is it.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: