0%  [ 0 ]
OTHER
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: NFL MVP

Who's your choice for NFL MVP? It's been more or less a QB award for some time. The last non-QB to win the award was Adrian Peterson in 2012. I look at who's most responsible for the team's successes. I like Christian McCaffrey. He's leading the league in rushing, he catches passes, and pass blocks. He's a complete running back. I think it's time for a player other than QB to win the award.

DISCUSS

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Dak is having a great season and he the Cowboys are the media's darling. So he will win it.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject:

McCaffrey is indeed having another fantastic season, and separates more from others at his position than anyone else, but the QB runs the program, sees the field, calls the plays (or audibles at least) and invokes leadership, so I'll go with Purdy very narrowly over McCaffrey at this stage.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
Dak is having a great season and he the Cowboys are the media's darling. So he will win it.

I think Dak hurt his chances because of the 31-10 drubbing by the Bills. The knock on him is Dallas can't win when they have to play from behind and it's on him to bring it home.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
McCaffrey is indeed having another fantastic season, and separates more from others at his position than anyone else, but the QB runs the program, sees the field, calls the plays (or audibles at least) and invokes leadership, so I'll go with Purdy very narrowly over McCaffrey at this stage.

SAS calls McCaffery's inattention reverse discrimination. His position is if Christian was Black he'd be more in the news. I see where he's coming from but don't go along with his thinking. McCaffery is the highest-paid running back in the NFL at $16 million.

JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject:

It has to go to someone on SF since they have won every big game they have played.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject:

If the 49ers finish first in the NFC I'd have to go with Brock Purdy.

In that case, maybe give CMC Offensive Player of the Year, especially now that Tyreek Hill is hurt.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject:

My boy Lamar should win it. If he leads the Ravens to winning out the rest of the season. (Including Monday against SF).

But the safe bet is Purdy. SF will probably have the best record. And he has the stats.

CMC is the best player in the league. But, he's a RB. And it's a QB award. So its tough to bet on him to win it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject:

If the voting ended today, Purdy would win. However, that's because this has become what the Heisman has become, which is to award it to the QB from a #1 or #2 seed who played really well. I don't think there's any question that Purdy is not the most valuable player on his own offense. It's a weird year for QB's because Mahomes is having a down year, Allen is having a down year with turnovers, and so is Hurts. (Hurts' value is being almost entirely propped up with one tush push TD per game, which he essentially has nothing to do with.) Lamar has been good, but it's not like he's lighting it up statistically.

I voted for McCaffrey in this poll, and it's my opinion that the two most valuable players in football this year have been he and Tyreek Hill.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject:

Christmas day Ravens vs 49ers at San Francisco will decide the MVP. Gotta give Frisco the edge, it's a home game. Giving them the edge gives Purdy the edge. I like McCaffery but his chances of winning the award are about as good as Trump beating Usain Bolt in a 100 yard dash. Exaggeration

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject:

As a bit of an aside:

Rushing yards per game:

McCaffery: 92.3
Kyren: 95.3

Rushing yards per carry:

McCaffery: 5.3
Kyren: 5.1

This is not to suggest they are near equals but that the HUGE gap between the teams rushing performance has been narrowed.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject:

Media, fans, myself included may not be giving Purdy his just due. Maybe it's because when he didn't have Deebo and McCaf the 49ers lost 3 straight. He didn't put the team on his back and take them accross the finish line. Why?

How much of the losses can we blame on him? He's completed 70% of his passes 3,795 passing yards 2nd, 29td 1st, QBR 76.0 1st. He's quietly being the best QB in the game at this point in time. I said McCaffery should be the MVP because the award is QB slanted.

I'm gonna change horses in mid stream and say the award at this time should go to Purdy. It's fluid.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Media, fans, myself included may not be giving Purdy his just due. Maybe it's because when he didn't have Deebo and McCaf the 49ers lost 3 straight. He didn't put the team on his back and take them accross the finish line. Why?

How much of the losses can we blame on him? He's completed 70% of his passes 3,795 passing yards 2nd, 29td 1st, QBR 76.0 1st. He's quietly being the best QB in the game at this point in time. I said McCaffery should be the MVP because the award is QB slanted.

I'm gonna change horses in mid stream and say the award at this time should go to Purdy. It's fluid.

It's very much worth noting that it's quite likely that Purdy was either concussed or suffering the effects of a concussion in 2 of those 3 losses.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Pretty darn cool to admit to changing your mind. Opinions here tend to be so inflexible. Nice job you old fart.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Pretty darn cool to admit to changing your mind. Opinions here tend to be so inflexible. Nice job you old fart.

Thanks ribeye you made my day.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

It's very much worth noting that it's quite likely that Purdy was either concussed or suffering the effects of a concussion in 2 of those 3 losses.

Could be. I didn't factor that.

Corey78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Purdy looks awful today
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Corey78 wrote:
Purdy looks awful today

They engraved the MVP trophy with Lamar’s name already
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:23 am    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
Corey78 wrote:
Purdy looks awful today

They engraved the MVP trophy with Lamar’s name already

Still not close to done. All it will take is a bad Lamar game next week against Miami, which would catapult the Dolphins to the #1 seed in the AFC with a week to go, for the narrative to change. He's not having an incredible statistical season, so there's no way he has it in the bag with 2 weeks to go. He's 15th in passing yards, 14th in TD passes, 8th in QB Rating, and 8th in QBR. He's responsible for 24 TD's (19 passing and 5 rushing), which lags way, way behind some of the top QB's this year. The favorite has changed so often over the past month, so there's still room for it to change again.

I'm not saying he isn't a great player. He obviously is, and he's very valuable. But this award really has turned into "the best QB on a #1 or #2 seed" award.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

And now, I'll pull a Jodeke and switch to McCaffrey at this stage (who I still say was robbed of the Heisman in 2015).

I'm a big stats guy but the stats (the 5 picks) do not paint a fair picture of Purdy's day. By this, you'd think he was Goff at the Superbowl.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ribeye wrote:

And now, I'll pull a Jodeke and switch to McCaffrey at this stage (who I still say was robbed of the Heisman in 2015).

I'm a big stats guy but the stats (the 5 picks) do not paint a fair picture of Purdy's day. By this, you'd think he was Goff at the Superbowl.

Purdy didn't help his MVP case. Lamar made a case for his candidacy. The votes in this poll have gone Lamar. I wonder if that is because of Purdy's dismal Christmas Day performance.

You know why? https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Htj8vQqhPt8

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject:

Richard Sherman is still advocating fiercely for Brock Purdy or CMC to be the MVP. His argument is the individual statistics. He says QBs with under 30 TDs never win MVP and Lamar has 19 TDs and 7 INTs with 2 weeks to go. He isnt finding many people to agree with him however.

Brock Purdy currently has 29 TDs and 11 INTs. CMC has 14 rushing TDs and 7 receiving TDs.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:19 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Richard Sherman is still advocating fiercely for Brock Purdy or CMC to be the MVP. His argument is the individual statistics. He says QBs with under 30 TDs never win MVP and Lamar has 19 TDs and 7 INTs with 2 weeks to go. He isnt finding many people to agree with him however.

Brock Purdy currently has 29 TDs and 11 INTs. CMC has 14 rushing TDs and 7 receiving TDs.

And CMC has the potential to absolutely obliterate the Washington defense this week, if the 49ers want to get him all the stats. In addition to the TD's, CMC also has over 1,900 scrimmage yards. He has a realistic shot of finishing with more than 2,200.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

And CMC has the potential to absolutely obliterate the Washington defense this week, if the 49ers want to get him all the stats. In addition to the TD's, CMC also has over 1,900 scrimmage yards. He has a realistic shot of finishing with more than 2,200.

Adrian Peterson won the award when he rushed for 2,097 yards. McCaffery has rushed for 1,387 to date. He has 5 weeks to catch Adrian. Eric Dickerson holds the single season rushing record with2,105 yards.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Adrian Peterson won the award when he rushed for 2,097 yards. McCaffery has rushed for 1,387 to date. He has 5 weeks to catch Adrian. Eric Dickerson holds the single season rushing record with2,105 yards.

An aside. Has anyone using Google Chrome experienced slow loading lately?

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: