5th seed

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: 5th seed

If the lakers go 21-6, and suns, NOP, mavs, kings play at their current pace, lakers will clinch the 5th seed.

Lakers are 7-3 in the last 10, and 5-0 with the new (old last season) lineup
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject:

All I care about is where Denver ends up. Worst case scenario for us is facing them in the first round. So if we got 5th and they got 4th, then it wouldn't be that good tbh. We would have homecourt disadvantage against a team that we've lost to 7 times in a row.

I actually want to be in the play-in if it means not having to face Denver in first round since it's much less likely Denver would finish in top 2. Denver is likely to finish 3rd or 4th so we'd want to avoid 5th or 6th place.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:33 am    Post subject:

I like your optimism, but don't build me up to break me down

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:33 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I like your optimism, but don't build me up to break me down

Reminds me of that poster who said we were gonna go on a 10 game winning streak
crazylakerfan001
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject:

Whatever it takes to not be in the play-in

I do not want to play a sudden death match against Golden State who have found their rhythm and look like they can beat anyone
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject:

crazylakerfan001 wrote:
Whatever it takes to not be in the play-in

I do not want to play a sudden death match against Golden State who have found their rhythm and look like they can beat anyone

Mavs and Kings are no slouch either
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject:

The possibility depends on the remaining schedule.

I think I heard the Lakers have a lot of home games in March?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
All I care about is where Denver ends up. Worst case scenario for us is facing them in the first round. So if we got 5th and they got 4th, then it wouldn't be that good tbh. We would have homecourt disadvantage against a team that we've lost to 7 times in a row.

I actually want to be in the play-in if it means not having to face Denver in first round since it's much less likely Denver would finish in top 2. Denver is likely to finish 3rd or 4th so we'd want to avoid 5th or 6th place.

Manipulating seeding to duck teams is a losing strategy.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject:

Better chance we fall out of the play in and miss the playoffs then the Lakers making a run at the 5th seed that’s the sad reality
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Better chance we fall out of the play in and miss the playoffs then the Lakers making a run at the 5th seed that’s the sad reality

We are 3.5 games behind the Suns for 5th, and we own the tiebreaker against them. As for 11th place, we are 4 games ahead of the Jazz, who we also own the tiebreaker against. Meanwhile we are playing great, have won 6 out of the last 7, and are mostly healthy.

If you honestly think there is a greater chance we end up in 11th than 5th, I question your objectivity.
crackadon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Manipulating seeding to duck teams is a losing strategy.

Shaq recently admitted that Phil used to do that right before the playoffs (rest star players in order to lose and change seeding). It was on an episode of NBA on TNT Tuesdays with DWade.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

We are 3.5 games behind the Suns for 5th, and we own the tiebreaker against them. As for 11th place, we are 4 games ahead of the Jazz, who we also own the tiebreaker against. Meanwhile we are playing great, have won 6 out of the last 7, and are mostly healthy.

If you honestly think there is a greater chance we end up in 11th than 5th, I question your objectivity.

Both are low probability events..but its far easier to drop a couple of spots with injury/random bounces/foul calls etc than going past 4 teams that will be completely motivated to avoid play-in.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Barring major injuries the current top 4 seeds plus Mavericks should make the top-6. Mavs did major upgrades to their roster at the deadline by trading away two 1sts and have been great since then.

Suns,Pelicans, Kings, Lakers, Warriors will battle of No6. Among these teams only Kings are not playing well...rest of the teams have been playing great in the recent weeks. The first goal for Lakers and Warriors will be to avoid 9-10 seeds. 7-8 gives a much better chance at play-offs.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject:

I want OKC in the first round, regardless of seed.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

Settling for a play-in spot when we have a shot at the 5th seed is a losing mentality. The team should go for the highest seed possible and build winning habits the rest of the season.

If we get Denver in the first round (I doubt Denver finishes fourth though), they should see it as an opportunity to get the toughest opponent out of the way in the beginning.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:01 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

March schedule is brutal regardless of tie breakers, I don’t see this team winning enough to get into Top 6 at worst they will stay at the play in either as the 9th seed or 7th
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject:

How we fare against the top team will let us know if we can win it all this year.

1 Phoenix
1 Clippers
1 Denver
1 OKC
2 Sacto
2 Bucks
1 Sixers
2 Wolves
1 Cavs

if we go 6-6 against the top teams, it would give me a good sense of hope for us winning it all. We already beat Suns (3), Clip (2), OKC (1), Celtics (1), NY (1), Cavs (1). The only must win is the Denver game since they proven they can win it all already.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
How we fare against the top team will let us know if we can win it all this year.

1 Phoenix
1 Clippers
1 Denver
1 OKC
2 Sacto
2 Bucks
1 Sixers
2 Wolves
1 Cavs

if we go 6-6 against the top teams, it would give me a good sense of hope for us winning it all. We already beat Suns (3), Clip (2), OKC (1), Celtics (1), NY (1), Cavs (1). The only must win is the Denver game since they proven they can win it all already.

denver struggled down the stretch last year. IIRC they lost 5 in a row. They barely took the last game against us seriously. they were playing dodge ball leading up to it and they happily posted about it before the match up. we should beat them. That would probably be best for the nuggs. they have zero respect for us as is.

However. nothing matters until the post season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: