is this a joke? Kareem Rush waived from bobcats?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

It wasn't about turning Rush into a PG. Of course he's not a PG. it was about him improving his ballhandling skills so he could play more positions and thus get more playing time. If the only position you can play on the Lakers is shooting guard and your name is NOT Kobe Bryant, you're not gonna see the floor very often. That's a fact. It's not a situation anymore where Kobe can just swing over to the 3 so Kareem can be out there with him. We are locked solid at that 3 spot with Lamar Odom.

And as was stated previously, he's not playoff eligible.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Laker Lurker wrote:
If Mitch makes the same mistake twice and gets Rush , then he's got to go. If Rush can't make the Bobcats then he's got serious issues.

Hey, ingrate, how about remembering that Rush was a solid contributor to several playoff series. He earned his rookie salary when he was here, or did you forget all those 3 pointers against Minnesota that helped us squeak past them? Obviously, you did. If a guy can contribute in the playoffs and all he's earning is rookie money, then he's earned his pay.

Well said, LakerJam!
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
It wasn't about turning Rush into a PG. Of course he's not a PG. it was about him improving his ballhandling skills so he could play more positions and thus get more playing time. If the only position you can play on the Lakers is shooting guard and your name is NOT Kobe Bryant, you're not gonna see the floor very often. That's a fact. It's not a situation anymore where Kobe can just swing over to the 3 so Kareem can be out there with him. We are locked solid at that 3 spot with Lamar Odom.

And as was stated previously, he's not playoff eligible.

Ummm, Kobe needs a backup. We don't need him logging so many minutes. Keep doing this every year to him and he will not last.

Also what happens when we're forced to go small against certain teams. Odom at the 4, Kobe the 2, Luke at the 3? Replace Luke with Profit but what happens if Kobe gets foul trouble? Rely on Sasha? Hell no. Against a team like PHX we would be murdered.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Rush is still living off the reputation of Game 6 vs. Minnesota when he shot 6/8 from 3. He's too inconsistent and an extremely streaky shooter. Jim Jackson brings all the same things Rush brings, except Jimmy has the veteran experience. Profit showed more in his brief stint here than Rush showed in all his years in L.A.

And I agree with hoopschick 100%. Sasha brings more to the game than Rush, and I'm not even a big fan of Sasha's. Phil appreciates Sasha's ability to "irritate" opposing guards. Plus he can bring the ball up the court.

If we can get Jim Jackson up to date in the triangle, I think he's going to bring a lot to this team. And Profit is a better player than Kareem and is spending time learning the triangle, so he'll be a better addition to the team in the offseason.

Pass on Rush, but thanks for the memories.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I still remeber him in that play-off series vs the wolves in the WCF.

"Rushing to the Finals" was on the front of the sports page the next day
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:
gfunksta wrote:
Hopefully we can get rid of Sasha and bring in KRUSH.

RUSH>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SASHA

Rush has ZERO point guard skills.

Rush plays ZERO defense.

actually he does play defense... well he did under phil jackson.

id take rush over mckie, sasha or green any day.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Yes, Rush was a solid contributor in a Laker playoff series. That was 2 years ago. What has he done since??

Kareem is in a contract year. If there is any opportunity for a player to show his stuff so he can get his payday, it's in a contract year. And kareem was on a bad team with a bunch of guys hurt so he could've really padded his stats. But what has he been doing?? I don't know. I haven't heard from the guy until today when he managed to get himself kicked off a team going to the lottery 2 weeks before the season ends.

There isn't gonna be room for more than one Kobe backup. And if Laron Profit is healthy and recovered, I hope it's him.
shiznak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Has his handles improved since we cut him? Good defender, streaky outside shooter, terrible ball-handler. Pass.
Chris Mihm - "...the reason he's been forced to take as many shots as he has is because our offense tends to stagnate and then we just have a tendency to throw him the ball. When we don't keep moving, then he's kind of forced to get something up."
kemi4kobes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

wow, when you get cut by an expansion team that says a lot about you imo. it also seems like he can't stay healthy.

good luck to him.
"I wish I could draw a picture of the look on their faces..... For a time, it was like he was on the court by himself. It's like God put Kobe here for us to watch him play basketball." - LO On KB8's Performance Against the Clips 07/01/06
gfunksta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

I still can't believe Sasha has some fans. Although I agree with the fact that he has the ability to irritate others... ESPECIALLY ME!!

Rush could be a poor poor poor poor poor's man R. Harper.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject:

gfunksta wrote:
I still can't believe Sasha has some fans. Although I agree with the fact that he has the ability to irritate others... ESPECIALLY ME!!

Rush could be a poor poor poor poor poor's man R. Harper

No he can't. Rush can't run an offense at all.

And I am not a Sissy Vujacic fan by ANY stretch of imagination. One of the worst Laker 1st round draft picks ever right along with Kareem Rush. But Sasha fills a role in the rotation that Rush can't. [/b]
gfunksta
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I just realized we're all arguing about two real piss poor players...I wish we had Mike James and Speedy Claxton over Smushy and Sissy Vujacic.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject:

LakerBaker wrote:
Quote:
I would pick him up, he knows the triangle, he can shoot, and he is pretty athletic, I would dump J.Jackson I guess? McKie is guaranteed money next season so I don't see the Lakers waiving him, and they seem high on Green. I think it would be a good move, especially if he isnt hurt, and Phil did like Rush a lot, but I'm not sure Rush was happy as a Laker?

First of all if he would not be available for the playoffs then I'm not sure why we sign him.

But regardless of that, I think it is critical that he is familiar with and KNOWS the TRAINGLE. It takes a long time for players to get the Triangle down and this cannot be disimissed lightly.

As far as who to give up I would consider biting the bullet on Mckie and eating the salary loss, myself. I don't see Mckie putting out much more in his career, personally. I do believe that J. Jacskon has a couple of good years left, however.

As far as Rush being happy with the Lakers, I do recall that his could have been an issue back when he was not getting much time behind Kobe, but I think that this opinion could actaully have changed over time as he got a fill of a losing team. Rush very likely would look at joining the Lakers in a different light now and would probably view backing up Kobe on a team on the cusp of becoming very good as something he could currently accept more readily than he had in the past.

As far as the speculation that Rush could replace Sasha, this makes no sense in my opinion. They basically play different positions in my view in that Sasha, while certainly adequate at the shooting guard position, is capable of playing the point whereas Rush is exclusively a shooting guard.

I personally feel that Rush would be an upgrade over Mckie, certainly, as well as Green or Jackson. But since Green has potential and Jackson still has game and is healthy it would make since to cut Mckie lose, imo, regardless of the loss in money.

LakerJam wrote:
Quote:
Laker Lurker wrote:
Quote:
If Mitch makes the same mistake twice and gets Rush , then he's got to go. If Rush can't make the Bobcats then he's got serious issues.

Hey, ingrate, how about remembering that Rush was a solid contributor to several playoff series. He earned his rookie salary when he was here, or did you forget all those 3 pointers against Minnesota that helped us squeak past them? Obviously, you did. If a guy can contribute in the playoffs and all he's earning is rookie money, then he's earned his pay.

As is usually the case I certainly agree with LakerJam. Rush has been a very solid contributor to the Laker when healthy. Rush is a proven and young player and as long as he is healthy and considering his knowledge of the Triangle it would seem that he would certainly be an acquisition that would help the Lakers as far as backing up Kobe and would presumably not cost us much to boot.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
pawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Rush is still living off the reputation of Game 6 vs. Minnesota when he shot 6/8 from 3. He's too inconsistent and an extremely streaky shooter. Jim Jackson brings all the same things Rush brings, except Jimmy has the veteran experience. Profit showed more in his brief stint here than Rush showed in all his years in L.A.

And I agree with hoopschick 100%. Sasha brings more to the game than Rush, and I'm not even a big fan of Sasha's. Phil appreciates Sasha's ability to "irritate" opposing guards. Plus he can bring the ball up the court.

If we can get Jim Jackson up to date in the triangle, I think he's going to bring a lot to this team. And Profit is a better player than Kareem and is spending time learning the triangle, so he'll be a better addition to the team in the offseason.

Pass on Rush, but thanks for the memories.

cosign. everyone getting pumped at the idea of rush returning to our bench? no thanks.
Arsenal
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject:

see sig
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:

pawn, nice avatar
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
Laker Lurker wrote:

Rush was no longer a rookie when he was cut by the Bobcats and he is no longer earning rookie money. It is pretty bad when a player gets cut from a big time loser team- so no thanks for a loser team's castoffs. If Rush was cut from the Spurs, Mavs, or Pistons then he may be worth a second look. Yeah- thanks,Rush for the 3 pointers against Minnesota, and thanks, Fisher for the .4 shot, and thanks, Horry for the Sacramento shot- wish you all could do that consistently now-otherwise- you would still be here.
LakerFanOC
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Um, no thanks to Rush.
He's a nice guy, but no thanks.
He lacks effort and heart. Wasn't he a jerk to Rudy T last year as well? Give me Profit anyday over him.

Why would you pick up someone who doesn't try his hardest? You don't want him influencing the other younger players on the Lakers.

He had only a few good games in his 2 years here. I remember the first time I saw him play and predicted that he would be out of here in less than 3 years. His shot is crooked which is probably why he's not that good.
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: is this a joke? Kareem Rush waived from bobcats?

KobeButler wrote:
I dunno if its an april fools joke or not. I dont think an official site would do that would they? Heres the link...

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/news/release_rush_060401.html

Quote:
Bobcats Waive Guard Kareem Rush

Rush
The Bobcats have released guard Kareem Rush, it was announced by Bobcats General Manager & Head Coach Bernie Bickerstaff.

Rush played in 47 games this season and averaged 10.1 points, 2.2 rebounds, 1.1 assists and shot .386 from the field and .348 from three-point range. The fourth-year guard missed 23 games this season due to injury.

“The Bobcats are about two things – hard work and maximum effort,” Bickerstaff said. “With that in mind, we think that it is best to go in a different direction with Kareem.”

Originally acquired by Charlotte from the Los Angeles Lakers on December 6, 2004, Rush averaged 11.5 points, 2.3 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 25.8 minutes in 34 appearances for the Bobcats in 2004-05, before missing the final 27 games of the season with a left knee MCL sprain suffered at New Orleans on March 2, 2005.
E-mail this story

Phil always liked Rush.

Official sites don't subscribe to this inane tradition.

^^ Farmar

Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Laker Lurker wrote:

Absolutely. Shall he return Kwame too? Kwame was similarly stricken from the playoff roster after a heated exchange, and placed on the trading block.

Kwame was acquired through a major trade- he was not waived by the WIZ. In fact, Kwame refused an extension offered by the WIZ. Kwame was also the overall #1 pick and his value was high enough to make the lakers pay a high price for him, namely Caron Butler. Getting Kwame was very good risk taking which is paying off now.

On the other hand, Rush fell from a projected lottery pick to the low 20's. Also, the Lakers already had Rush once, and found that he was not worth keeping then. Rush was a risk the lakers already took, and lost. Why is he worth getting now? Rush was waived by one of the worse teams in the league with comments (if you believe them) about his having baggage to boot.

The Kwame-Rush comparison is not valid.

Last edited by Laker Lurker on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lurker wrote:

LakerJam wrote:

Laker Lurker wrote:

Rush was no longer a rookie when he was cut by the Bobcats and he is no longer earning rookie money. It is pretty bad when a player gets cut from a big time loser team- so no thanks for a loser team's castoffs. If Rush was cut from the Spurs, Mavs, or Pistons then he may be worth a second look. Yeah- thanks,Rush for the 3 pointers against Minnesota, and thanks, Fisher for the .4 shot, and thanks, Horry for the Sacramento shot- wish you all could do that consistently now-otherwise- you would still be here.

As far as playing for the Bobcats I would say that Rush may have not done a good job at concentrating on a team that was showing signs of looking toward other players for the future not to mention the position of the team in the standings. I would agree that Rush should still continue to keep his mind into the game but it can be discouraging when management is showing signs of having a preference for other players when he is still young and making a contribution to the team.

As far as Fisher or Horry are concerned they are not players who are available to the Lakers for one reason or another. I would speculate that if either Fisher or Horry were available to the Lakers with little cost then there would be an interest, especially considering their knowledge of the Triangle.

The fact here is that Rush could be available thus the thread topic exists as a result to consider whether he would be an upgrade to our team as it stands.

It seems a reasonable thing to consider a player who is only 26 years of age, averaging double figures in points with only playing 23 mpg and shooting 35% from beyond the arc. Sounds to me like a player that could certainly help our team considering these stats (statistically better than what we have now in Mckie, Jackson etc) and his knowledge of the Triangle under his belt.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
Kobina returns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Rush can be a spark off the bench for us next season. I'd sign him in the offseason. He'll help our scoring a lot and we'd win more close games than not.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject:

Laker Lurker wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Laker Lurker wrote:

Absolutely. Shall he return Kwame too? Kwame was similarly stricken from the playoff roster after a heated exchange, and placed on the trading block.

Kwame was acquired through a major trade- he was not waived by the WIZ. In fact, Kwame refused an extension offered by the WIZ. Kwame was also the overall #1 pick and his value was high enough to make the lakers pay a high price for him, namely Caron Butler. Getting Kwame was very good risk taking which is paying off now.

On the other hand, Rush fell from a projected lottery pick to the low 20's. Also, the Lakers already had Rush once, and found that he was not worth keeping then. Rush was a risk the lakers already took, and lost. Why is he worth getting now? Rush was waived by one of the worse teams in the league with comments (if you believe them) about his having baggage to boot.

The Kwame-Rush comparison is not valid.

Save the draft history for the Mitch bashing threads. It's as relevant as bolding in terms of making a rational argument.

My point is valid despite your obtuse attempts to deflect. Kwame was cut from the Washington playoff roster after a spat, which in itself was the culmination of a season of Kwame showing up late and seeming lackadaisical. The chief difference between Kwame and Kareem is about 6 inches, in that teams will still clamor for a 7 foot project despite bad history regarding work ethic.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject:

ebiq 0x00 wrote
Quote:
Official sites don't subscribe to this inane tradition.

Yea, I forgot how it was on LG last April fool's. With all of the April fool's topics posted (a couple are fun, more than that is a little tiresome) I think I'll bail out of here and wait until this foolishness subsides. :roll:

Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:

It seems a reasonable thing to consider a player who is only 26 years of age, averaging double figures in points with only playing 23 mpg and shooting 35% from beyond the arc. Sounds to me like a player that could certainly help our team considering these stats (statistically better than what we have now in Mckie, Jackson etc) and his knowledge of the Triangle under his belt.

This is exactly the point. What's wrong with Rush otherwise? 1. he fell from lottery pick projection to the 20s pick 2) he hit clutch shots for the lakers, not only against Minnesota in the playoffs but against Denver in the regular season and still the Lakers got rid of him and finally, 3) he had those stats with the Bobcats and they waived him not even bothering to trade him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: