SPL Game 7 LA vs. WAS (7/18/2006) [Bynum 10-10 FG, 25 points, 11 boards]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject:

The most important thing we have seen about Bynum this SPL is that he is IMPROVING. Most knowledgable posters have said the same thing. Bynum has the physical tools and he has the resources but the main question mark was his drive and desire to improve. If nothing else I think we have seen the answer to that question this SPL. Beyond that it is impossible to see where the ceiling is. Starter, All-Star, Superstar who knows. At this point you could make a case for any of those based most importantly on the fact he has shown a will to improve and succeed.

You won't find a player more athletic in the L than Stromile Swift yet he isn't worth much b/c he doesn't work at his game. Amare and Howard seem to work at their games also so they will be great. Bynum has the chance to join them.
totoro714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Seems like Bynum just has to work on consistency. It seems he has one good game followed by a mediocre game.
PassiontoWin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:

One thing is all that's needed to be told to the Bynum doubters....he's not even 19 yet...scary.
Mege
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
Gnat wrote:
I was at the game today.

Devin Green was really impressive today. He clearly looked better than Pinnock today. He really let loose.

Wafer was okay but looked lost on defense (My wife, who doesn't even watch sports, brought it up). His shot wasn't dropping and he was a little out of control at times.

Bynum had a monster game. I felt he could've had more rebounds as he doesn't actively box out. His most impressive sequence was when he went up for a rebound, tapped the ball off the backboard, sprung back up and caught the ball in the air and dunked it in one motion. To those who haven't seen him this summer, rest assured the kid gets off the floor quicker than last year. Trust me. He's no stiff. As far as his mobility is concerned, his speed can be helped. This guy doesn't know how to run. He doesn't lift his knees at all when he runs, still he's fairly quick. He actually lumbers faster than Michael Fey can run (and Fey has a decent running motion: higher knee lift and better arm swing). This kid needs a track coach.

Farmar played really well today. He showed no signed of being hurt. He did force a couple of passes that resulted in turnovers (one was on a fast break where failed to look off the defender before making the pass. Everyone in the gym knew where that pass was going. Farmer does move really well without the ball. He made the game look easy.

so who do we need to bring in for that. get him some time with the USC/UCLA track coach. teach how to run properly. also have him work at the high jump.

I'm pretty sure they have him doing plyometrics to enhance his jumping ability. He'd be able to cover so much more ground if he'd just lift his knees and lenghten his stride. His running motion is too inefficient. He has decent quickness, no one's taught him how to use it. Give him 3 months with a track coach and he'll look like a different guy.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Bynum has been playing against PROs for a full year, be it in game or practice. To compare his SECOND SPL to LBJ, Howard, or Amare's FIRST SPL is ridiculous.

I'm just now reading through the thread, so this may have already been asked. How many times were LBJ, Howard or Amare consistently double and triple teamed during those games? I have not been able to make it to the Pyramid, but based on what everyone has written, noone has even bothered to try and play him one on one for any significant period of time.

I am not saying that the kid is the second coming - far from that, but still, that kind of attention warrants consideration.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
But whatever. I'm finished arguing.

Took you a whole three minutes to change your mind?
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
And I actually agree. The "sky is the limit" for Bynum. But is he actually going to reach that? Not likely.

You don't really agree with Phil that the sky is the limit. How can you say you actually agree and then also say this:

magic_bryant wrote:

Bynum will be a quality, starting C. Perhaps Brendan Haywood with better offense. 15/11/2 at his peak.

All-Star? No.

And this...

magic_bryant wrote:

I've seen enough already.

He'll be a good starting C. He's simply lacking in too many areas already to be an All-Star C somewhere down the line.

How is that believing that the sky is the limit? That's saying that "good starting C" is the limit. Clearly, you have placed a limit on his skills and clearly you don't agree with Phil. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't go using something Phil supposedly said as a defense in your argument and then white wash over something Phil also said. Somewhere on this site someone also mentioned that Phil said Bynum will dominate for certain stretches of the game this year.

By the way, I'm still waiting to see where Phil said "Bynum invests his ego into scoring only". I'm sure he criticized Bynum for not playing D the right way or getting up and down the court, and that being an issue...I heard that and agree... but I'd be interested to see where he talks about Bynum being an "ego player".

I know you are irked with people putting too high of expectations on him...and people need to realize that Bynum is not a better player than Mihm at this point in his career. (Most probably do realize that). But while you get angry at people putting too high of expectations on him, you are also putting too high of expectations on him in his second SPL. He wasn't a No. 1 draft pick like guys he's being compared to quite a bit in this thread. He's not an uber-athletic PF-type of bigman. He was a No. 10 pick, the youngest player ever drafted, and one that we talked into staying in the draft because we didn't think we'd have a chance at drafting him in three years. He was, as Ronnie Lester described, "great clay" and a true back to the basket center. He will play with a combination of finesse and power as a pro. But, he has to refine that finesse and he has to continue to develop that power. I wouldn't expect consistency from him in this SPL, I'd expect solid improvement in most aspects of his game. Solid improvement on that finesse and power aspects. The fact is, we knew he wasn't ready and we knew he wasn't going to kill teams right away...but he has shown steady, solid progress and improvement in his game.

Judging by how much he works, he should continue to show that. With more strength, more work on his conditioning, more work on the fundmentals and more repetitions on all his post moves...who knows how good he will end up? And, that's really the point of contention. You say he's shown enough that he will plateau as solid starter. Others say, why are we talking about plateau now? That's not rampant homerism by any stretch.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

And yet Phil said the same things.

Hmm...

By the way, show me the quote.

Lemme find it. It may not be a direct quote, but he did say something along those lines.

i remember phil talking about that, it was in response to whether or not bynum will become a big part of the rotation near the time of the allstar break. Bynum was supposed get more time after the break, never did and its because he couldnt pick of the defensive rotations or guard his man effectively.

So... did Phil say Bynum invests his ego into scoring only or did he just talk about him not playing well on that end of the court yet?
baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
bambam wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

And yet Phil said the same things.

Hmm...

By the way, show me the quote.

Lemme find it. It may not be a direct quote, but he did say something along those lines.

i remember phil talking about that, it was in response to whether or not bynum will become a big part of the rotation near the time of the allstar break. Bynum was supposed get more time after the break, never did and its because he couldnt pick of the defensive rotations or guard his man effectively.

So... did Phil say Bynum invests his ego into scoring only or did he just talk about him not playing well on that end of the court yet?

I don't think he's ever said that. He did say that he's been patient with bynum so far, but now they don't have that luxury and he's going to have to step it up. He said that when mihm went down.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't going to post, but since it's you, DB, I'll respond. He CLEARLY said something along the lines of "Bynum focuses on his offense and his D suffers".

And I'm not putting high expectations on him in his 2nd SPL. Is it too much to ask for TEN rebounds per game in the WEAKEST SPL? I mean, come on!!!

But whatever.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject:

If Bynum absolutely worked his ass off to a "Kobe level" and everything fell into place, he could be the next coming of Shaq.

Now, will he reach that level? Answer that and you have your reason to why I think Bynum will be nothing more than a quality starting C.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
RocknRoll wrote:
Any word on Farmar? Were most of his assists to Bynum?

16 and 11. We'll have to wait for the rest of the LGers to get back home to get a better picture of how everyone played.

I didn't go to this one so don't wait up for any Thoughts and Ratings tonight.

Andrew Bynum -
Devin Green -
Jordan Farmar -
Doron Perkins -
Kasib Powell -
Danilo Pinnock -
Marcus Douthit -
Nile Murry -
Byron Sanders -
Von Wafer -
Marcus Slaughter -

Seems incomplete without the highlights, but I don't have the almighty superpowers of TiVoman.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
SECOND year spl stats Howard vs Bynum
Howard
19 PPG
7.5 RPG
0.8 APG
1.5 BPG

Bynum
13 PPG
8 RPG
2.3 ASP
2.5 BPG

Except for the points, bynum is holding his own against howard, rebounds are about the same, but bynum puts up more assist, and more block shots. I aint saying hes gonna be as good as howard, but howard wasnt doing any better than bynum,except for points, and Howard had more playing time his rookie year than bynum, more experience,and he only put up better numbers, so i would not consider bynum "behind the curve"

Except:

Dwight Howard is an elite athlete.
Howard rarely misses box-outs
Howard rarely misses weakside defensive help situations.

Take that into consideration outside of the stats, and it's not surprising that Howard has done so well, so early.

It's not like Bynum has Howard's experience, which just put him further behind the learning curve.

magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Howard
19 PPG
7.5 RPG
0.8 APG
1.5 BPG

Bynum
13 PPG
8 RPG
2.3 ASP
2.5 BPG

Except for the points, bynum is holding his own against howard, rebounds are about the same, but bynum puts up more assist, and more block shots. I aint saying hes gonna be as good as howard, but howard wasnt doing any better than bynum,except for points, and Howard had more playing time his rookie year than bynum, more experience,and he only put up better numbers, so i would not consider bynum "behind the curve"

Except:

Take that into consideration outside of the stats, and it's not surprising that Howard has done so well, so early.

It's not like Bynum has Howard's experience, which just put him further behind the learning curve.

Exactly my point. But of coruse, I'm not the scout, so everyone laughed at me.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject:

This game day proved to be unique in many ways. Personally, I brought my granddaughter to the game and she was thrilled to watch a Lakers game (and to see the dancing cow). The game prior to the Lakers game was very weird because it ended up being just a scrimmage game between the Orange County Players team (OCP1 vs OCP2). One side had no bench and the other side had 1 reserve. The other team was a no show or forfeited for some reason unknown to me. At half time of that game the score was something like 78 to 67. The second half was then reduced to 20 minutes (ala college hoops) and, get this, there were no refs. Very strange game with a lot of bounce pass alley oops and other fancy and risky plays followed by ABSOLUTELY no defense. On defense in the low post everyone on both sides were strictly spectators. That leads us to the Lakers, Wiz game.......

Game Summary:

Lakers 132, Wiz 123

I am so happy because I finally saw an SPL game this year where most of the Lakers favored to make the roster showed why they are favorites. This game started out strange from the pre-game warmups because the Lakers had all 14 players warming up and the Wiz only had 6. Turns out everyone else, including that 7'3" Ramos dude, sat out todays game for reasons unknown to me. This appeared to give the Lakers an extreme advantage but all the Wiz players were ballers who can fill up a stat sheet (especially Blatche and McFadden). I must say a special word for Blatche. This is the second game I have seen him play and he is one special player. Blatche is no Magic but he is two inches taller (listed at 6'11" to Magic's 6'9") and can do just about everything, as a PG would do, that Magic did only not as spectacular as Magic. He can lead the fast break, dribble and dish, hit the 3 pt shot. His game is almost more suited as a PG or point forward rather than a traditional Center or PF. Now I'll look at the Lakers players....

Individual scoring by quarter:

Bynum: 8, 3, 11, 3 for 25
Farmar: 6, 4, 4, 2 for 16
Green: 4, 4, 8, 10 for 26
Pinnock: 0, 4, 5, 3 for 12
Wafer: 3, 0, 2, 2 for 7
Powell: 2, 6, 2, 2 for 12
Perkins: 8, 0, 1, 4 for 13
Slaughter: 3, 0, 4, 0 for 7
Douthit: 0, 0, 0, 2 for 2
Murry: 0, 2, 0, 2 for 4
Fey: 0, 2, 2, 4 for 8

Individual recaps:

Bynum: Bynum played a great game today and, unlike the prior 3 games, there was nothing for me that stood out as deficiencies to point out in his game. The effort was there as well as the execution. I had no idea he was 10 for 10 in FG's until after I got home. It does make sense though because he was mentally into the entire game. Granted, he had a few days rest and Ramos wasn't playing but the Wiz, out of necessity, had an ever present 2nd body within 4 to 5 feet of Bynum ready to double down. There were also several times where the guards should have been able to get the ball to Bynum but failed to. If Bynum could have gotten the ball on a fair share of those failed chances he would have been in the 30's easy. One time Bynum went through a double team starting at the high post position to score! Bynum scored as the "oop" to Farmar's "alley." Bynum got a couple offensive rebounds this game including one where he jumped up, bounced the ball off the backboard, then immediately went up again while the ball was in the air to slam it home. Bynum had a couple blocks and one really stood out. He took three quick, long strides and leaped up to swat the ball forcefully. It was definitely a "NOT IN MY HOUSE" moment reminiscent of the olden days when Shaq sometimes blocked a shot at the last second to save a win for us. One more very bizarre and very good moment for Bynum was with around 1.6 seconds to go in the 1st half. The Wiz previous jumper was stuck between the rim and the backboard for a jump ball at center court. A fan near me called for Bynum to spike the jump ball into the hoop. I'm not sure if Bynum heard the fan but he proceeded to spike the jump ball within 5 feet of the rim. Never seen that before in my life! Bynum has shown to me what he can do when given the rest before a game. It will be nice to see if he can develop his strength, conditioning and endurance enough to play like this consistently in the future.

Farmar: Farmar played well today and did not appear to be slowed much by his injury. He made the alley oop pass to Bynum and had several other assists to Bynum. One time he stole the ball and finished it with a nice reverse layup in traffic. He also had a couple of those scoop shots go in. Farmar did make a couple turnovers on bad passes and missed most of his outside shots. Overall a very solid game from Farmar today.

Green: EVERY game I see Green play I come out more impressed with him. I am really beginning to think that, as good as Pinnock is, if it comes down to only one of them getting the roster spot, the no-brainer is to give it to Green and send Pinnock to Europe for 1 year. As good a game as Bynum had today, I would either give Green the game ball or share it between the two of them. Green showed it all today. He seemed to make all his outside jumpers today. Even though he didn't shoot a 3-ball he made some shots just within the circle. One time Green stole the ball, dribbled and made a behind the back pass for an assist. Green also made a great inside post move resulting in a slam. Green seemed to get better the longer the game went on. He had 10 points in the 4th qtr (while the closest Lakers were Perkins and Fey with 4). Green also played consistently good D today and didn't have any glaring mistakes.

Pinnock: Pinnock had a fairly good game but it was on the routine side. It almost seems like the last couple games Pinnock and Green have switched places with Green being the more impressive one lately. Reminds me of the tortoise and the hare fairy tale story and we all know how that one turned out. The one standout moment I remember from Pinnock was when he dunked the ball on an alley oop. Otherwise, compared to Green, he didn't shoot the ball as well, pass the ball as well or rebound the ball as well. Just like Green seemed to fade into the background for me last year, Pinnock seemed like a good player whose "good" game kind of fades into the background of Green's "great" game. Hopefully Pinnock can stand out more in tomorrow's game.

Wafer: Wafer had a slightly below OK game when even OK isn't good enough. He made the games first 3-ptr then it seemed like he couldn't make another shot and ended up 3 for 9. I was as high as anyone on Wafer at last year's SPL but after reality struck in training camp that he had to work within the triangle he seems to have lost his game all together. He is just not where he needs to be mentally and does not have the confidence he started out last year's SPL with. Talented and Athletic doesn't work in the NBA if it doesn't work within the team concept. Destined not to be on the Lakers roster this year.

The Rest: Nothing the rest of the Lakers players did stood out for me. The box sheet will give an indication of their games.

Last edited by Lakers#1Team on Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:02 am; edited 2 times in total
KB0024
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Howard
19 PPG
7.5 RPG
0.8 APG
1.5 BPG

Bynum
13 PPG
8 RPG
2.3 ASP
2.5 BPG

Except:

Exactly my point. But of coruse, I'm not the scout, so everyone laughed at me.

Wait.... does that mean the fighting is over?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Wait.... does that mean the fighting is over?

I hope so.

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject:

MB - I don't see the Shaq comparisons. Shaq was about strength, power and explosion. Bynum will be about a combination of strength and finesse. The Robert Parish comparison earlier in the thread by Bambam seems maybe more similar of a game than a Shaq game. So, I don't agree it's Shaq or Quality Starting C and nothing in between.

I understand where you are coming from. I just don't think people can say a strength and finesse bigman will be either the next big thing...or that he will plateau at a quality starter... Why? Because we don't know just how money he can be on his finesse game and how strong he will get with his strength training. It's all up to Bynum with how much work he puts in the weight room, how much he refines those fundamentals and how much repetition he does to where ends up with a variety of go-to post moves.

As for the boards, I think that's still a tough call. Bynum says he wants to get to where he can average 12 or more...but he also looks like he's dragging at times and not getting to the level of effort that he will need. A lot of that has to do with his conditioning and his motor and being able to push through that. Rambis is certainly trying to work on that mentality with Bynum and has mentioned playing him extended stretches so that Bynum has to play through fatigue. This is certainly an area where improved conditioning will help, but there is a mental side to this. Sheldon Williams said he learned to break the game up into 4-minute stretches and just focussed on those 4 minutes so that he kept his motor going. Bynum will need to learn how to push himself in a similar manner, as well as keep improving that conditioning if he wants to reach that goal he set for himself. He also lacks some fundamentals at times that will let a board or two slip away...that, too, can be improved. But 8 boards vs. 10 at this point is not a done deal to cement where he will end up.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team - Can you post that in Mike's thread? I think that would be a better place for the recaps today.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Lakers#1Team - Can you post that in Mike's thread? I think that would be a better place for the recaps today.

Thanks for the tip, just re-posted into Mike's thread. It's up to you whether to delete my duplicate re-cap here.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject:

Nah, it can stay here. I just didn't want those recaps to get lost in here as the Bynum debate will inevitably continue.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject:

I hope he will be vlade quality or higher. one or two all-star games. a good consistent center. without being so cheap. and being a better rebounder
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
ballerxj wrote:
Amare stoudemire 2006 stats for vegas summer league

20.7 PPG
6.0 RPG
1.3 APG
1.7 BPG

This is this years summer league, and once again, he aint doing much better than bynum except on points, hes been in the league 3 full years not counting last season, way more experience, but once again, only does better than bynum in points, once again, im not saying bynum will be great, but if you want to go by the numbers,here you go

Umm. Amare is seriously injured. I fear that he'll never be the same again.

Having seen the summer league in Vegas up close, I think stats mean very little. Winning is not always the issue of summer games. Looking at talent, seeing what their skill sets are and their potential is more to the point.

Roy, for example, played point in Vegas just so the coaches could see his ball handling skills against 'near pros' who were more quicker/athletic than the typical college guards Roy was used to going up against. I suspect they wanted to see how he handled the ball against quicker point guards - even to the detriment of his and other players' stats. I noticed one game that 4-5 times down the floor Roy created an isolation situation and drove to the hole (apparently for practice) while clearly he was not looking for other players.

Many times a player who was "hot" was removed from the game for no reason other than to take a look at a different player. Done for the day. No more stats.

Combinations of players staged on the floor were often constructed arbitrarily. Sometimes guards on the floor were simply unable to deliver the ball to "bigs" in proper scoring position. Matchups affect stats. Player greed affects stats.

Amare was probably in the SPL just to get a bit lubricated and assess his progress after his injury. It's probably a plus to note if his shot was falling or if he was able to elevate properly etc, but final stats are simply not the point.

On the other hand, seeing Foye consistently run his team's summer league offense and play with consistency and consistent scoring seemed useful in helping project an idea about his upcoming rookie year. (There was a question about whether he could score at the next level. Summer league, thus (and his stats there) seems to imply that he has a chance in the NBA as he was able to be aggressive and assertive and put up numbers. If he was unable to generate numbers, then it might mean something.)

However, Foye's performance and stats in the SPL are not conclusive, either. There were not many other players on his team who could put up consistent stats. There were not many guards Foye faced who were truly of the speed/experience of NBA starting guards. What I saw was Foye possessed a slightly unorthodox shot. Who knows if he will be able to hit it in the flow of a focused, tight, NBA game? Who knows if he will be able to protect the ball against stronger guards who are quicker than he is?

SPL teams are a mixed bag. Their 'use' to evauluate players is a mixed bag. I suspect the coaches are looking at specific things and performance in the summer league on a case-by-case basis.

Joel Freeland, the Englishman, was an interesting case in the SPL. He did not put up great stats.

From articles, I know the coaches were talking about whether he should be farmed out to the Euro leagues or????? What we saw was a young, athletic, fairly mobile and fairly heady future-powerforward type. Nothing new was learned other than that he seemed to hold his own very well against other summer players.

If he'd been clearly overmatched it would have meant something. Regardless of his statistics, he was a PLUS to be watched for the future - - he showed an investment in his game was worthwhile. Stats were less important than whether he had game instinct. He seemed like a nice guy.

Martell Webster went 1-11 one game and that game destroyed his stats for the summer. I noted that some posters saw a selfish player who parked behind the three line and refused to showcase versatility in his game (and was reluctant to play "D.")

What I saw was a very athletic and reasonably heady young player with great potential who had a bad game. What I saw in Martell's entire summer showcase was a team player who tried to integrate other players into a team-game plan (he continually took charge in time outs and directed other players to their spots on the floor. He encouraged other players, tried to keep them involved in both O and D sets.)

Putting up stats may be a plus in some cases, for some players, in certain situations. But it's perhaps hardly the point.

Last edited by JM on Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
lakers399
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
Howard
19 PPG
7.5 RPG
0.8 APG
1.5 BPG

Bynum
13 PPG
8 RPG
2.3 ASP
2.5 BPG

Except:

The 1st difference is a negative for Bynum, that one he can't control. But the 2nd and 3rd are actually positives, because if Bynum is already averaging 8 boards and 2 blocks without boxing out and rotating consistently, that means he can do that much better.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
because if Bynum is already averaging 8 boards and 2 blocks without boxing out and rotating consistently, that means he can do that much better.

Once he hits the L, different story. Why do you think Eddy Curry is a subaverage rebounder and shotblocker?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12
Jump to: