Anybody taken the CBEST?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Anybody taken the CBEST?

I've decided to undergoe a career change. Yup, I'm going to be a teacher. I'm already enrolled in a credential program, and I'm taking the CBEST exam on August 12th.

Has anybody ever taken this exam? If so, I would appreciate any tips....I hear it's an elementary level exam.....but I always freak out before tests. Would love to hear some feedback.
fREaK
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody taken the CBEST?

TheRod wrote:
If so, I would appreciate any tips....I hear it's an elementary level exam.....but I always freak out before tests.
I'm sorry, I can't be of any assistance, but I just love the irony of that sentence.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Don't know anything about the CBEST and not trying to discourage you...but:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=28031
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

I'm in the same boat as you, Rod.

I'm planning on becoming a teacher as well. I think I'm going to take the CBEST this coming fall.

What subjects are you interested in teaching? And at what level?

Me - Economics, Calculus
Level - High School

My brother took the CBEST for fun, and he said it was the easiest test he'd ever taken (and he didn't even study one bit).

I wouldn't be too worried.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Flight wrote:

I'm planning on becoming a teacher as well. I think I'm going to take the CBEST this coming fall.

Me - Economics, Calculus
Level - High School

My brother took the CBEST for fun, and he said it was the easiest test he'd ever taken (and he didn't even study one bit).

Excellent! Thanks for the info.

As far as subject interest, and level.....I want to teach History and Art History at the High School level. Hopefully, by this time next year I'll have a job as a full time teacher.
Kobe_Please_Stay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Hey there, I was once helping a friend study for the CBEST and for "Moral" support I took the CBEST with them...I am not a teacher...

I passed it on my first try, this was 4 years ago, I'm not sure if the test has changed or not, but the Math was very simple, and the Grammer and Essay sections were not difficult, but the required good knowledge of the English Grammer rules as well as of the English Language (definitions, etc)...

I will however say this, the CBEST test IS MUCH MUCH easier than the GMAT (took those not too long ago), or the GRE's...

Good luck you should do okay...
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Kobe_Please_Stay wrote:
Hey there, I was once helping a friend study for the CBEST and for "Moral" support I took the CBEST with them...I am not a teacher...

I passed it on my first try, this was 4 years ago, I'm not sure if the test has changed or not, but the Math was very simple, and the Grammer and Essay sections were not difficult, but the required good knowledge of the English Grammer rules as well as of the English Language (definitions, etc)...

I will however say this, the CBEST test IS MUCH MUCH easier than the GMAT (took those not too long ago), or the GRE's...

Good luck you should do okay...

Thanks for the info!
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
Flight wrote:

Me - Economics, Calculus
Level - High School

Excellent! Thanks for the info.

As far as subject interest, and level.....I want to teach History and Art History at the High School level. Hopefully, by this time next year I'll have a job as a full time teacher.

Ahh, a history buff. Very cool. Yeah, I feel you man. I hope to have a teaching job in about 2 years. Good luck on your CBEST! I'm sure you'll pass w/ flying colors.
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject:

I was probably going to take the CBEST too as I was thinking of subbing for a while. It would give me some more options at least. Good to hear its pretty easy.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject:

actually the CBEST is the least of your worries. Ive heard its a piece of cake compared to the CSAT(i think thats what its called). Ive seen grown man cry because they failed it...and its a must. PLus you have to pay each time you take it..

However, i think you can now pass both exams in parts..
rak_90046
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject:

i dont know about it, but i heard it isnt too bad. im taking it also on aug 12th in woodland hills.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
actually the CBEST is the least of your worries. Ive heard its a piece of cake compared to the CSAT(i think thats what its called). Ive seen grown man cry because they failed it...and its a must. PLus you have to pay each time you take it..

It's the CSET, and I just got a letter today saying that I do not qualify for a waiver. Complete BS! I have a Bachelor's Degree, and Master's Degree in History....and I STILL have to take the CSET?

Wow.....You've seen grown men cry? That doesn't sound too encouraging.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

It's the CSET, and I just got a letter today saying that I do not qualify for a waiver. Complete BS! I have a Bachelor's Degree, and Master's Degree in History....and I STILL have to take the CSET?

Wow.....You've seen grown men cry? That doesn't sound too encouraging.

yeah, i think the waiver thing went out as soon as the NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND crap came into effect. It was possible to waive the damn thing if you majored in an education field or was a liberal studies major. I know that Dominguez hills was one of the last schools to have the waiver program. I switched careers just in time.
LALfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject:

I have no experience myself with the CBEST but my husband does and he swears the test was ridiculously easy; I don't even remember him really studying for the thing.
Maybe you should invest in CBEST study material. For no more than $15 you should be able to buy a book that helps you prepare for the test. Borrowing it from the Library is also a good option.

If it makes you feel any better the GRE is much harder than the CBEST.
Good Luck.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

From what I understand, the only test easier than the CBEST is the ASVAB.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject:

I took the test right after I got out of college as a favor to my mother who is also a teacher. I was having a hard time finding a job in my field of interest and she asked me to take the exam as a fall-back plan.

The night before the test (I should say the morning of the test) I remembered that I was supposed to be in East LA the next morning to sit for the exam. I remembered at about 4am and the test was at 8 or 9. I was still very buzzed (on a few substances) when I took the exam and I passed it without a problem.

The test is very easy. I was actually astonished at the very low level of knowledge this society expects of its teachers.

I never did end up teaching but I figure I will at some point after I've made enough money. It's far too difficult to raise a family on a teacher's salary...especially with my tastes.

Don't worry about the exam. A reasonably bright high school graduate could pass the exam.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject:

Pop wrote:
I took the test right after I got out of college as a favor to my mother who is also a teacher. I was having a hard time finding a job in my field of interest and she asked me to take the exam as a fall-back plan.

The night before the test (I should say the morning of the test) I remembered that I was supposed to be in East LA the next morning to sit for the exam. I remembered at about 4am and the test was at 8 or 9. I was still very buzzed (on a few substances) when I took the exam and I passed it without a problem.

The test is very easy. I was actually astonished at the very low level of knowledge this society expects of its teachers.

I never did end up teaching but I figure I will at some point after I've made enough money. It's far too difficult to raise a family on a teacher's salary...especially with my tastes.

Don't worry about the exam. A reasonably bright high school graduate could pass the exam.

Great story.

I'm not even going to worry about CBEST anymore....I'm going to focus all my attention on the CSET now.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Easiest. Test. Ever!

Man.....I can't believe I was stressing over this garbage test.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

I just got my results back for the CSET ya'll. PASSED all three parts on my first try.

As Stuart Scott would say: "Holla at a playa when you see him on the street!"
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Congratulations.

The only test I worry about is a sobriety test.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Is the CBEST a california-based teacher's entry exam? If it is so easy, and someone here breezed it while hungover, I worry about the future of California schools.

But not with you, TheRod.

Congratulations!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: