New Study: The Taller the Smarter?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerHabib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: New Study: The Taller the Smarter?

Taller people are smarter: study

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - While researchers have long shown that tall people earn more than their shorter counterparts, it's not only social discrimination that accounts for this inequality -- tall people are just smarter than their height-challenged peers, a new study finds.
ADVERTISEMENT

"As early as age three -- before schooling has had a chance to play a role -- and throughout childhood, taller children perform significantly better on cognitive tests," wrote Anne Case and Christina Paxson of Princeton University in a paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research.

The findings were based primarily on two British studies that followed children born in 1958 and 1970, respectively, through adulthood and a U.S. study on height and occupational choice.

Other studies have pointed to low self-esteem, better health that accompanies greater height, and social discrimination as culprits for lower pay for shorter people.

But researchers Case and Paxson believe the height advantage in the job world is more than just a question of image.

"As adults, taller individuals are more likely to select into higher paying occupations that require more advanced verbal and numerical skills and greater intelligence, for which they earn handsome returns," they wrote.

For both men and women in the United States and the United Kingdom, a height advantage of four inches equated with a 10 percent increase in wages on average.

But the researchers said the differences in performance crop up long before the tall people enter the job force. Prenatal care and the time between birth and the age of 3 are critical periods for determining future cognitive ability and height.

"The speed of growth is more rapid during this period than at any other during the life course, and nutritional needs are greatest at this point," the researchers wrote.

The research confirms previous studies that show that early nutrition is an important predictor of intelligence and height.

"Prenatal care and prenatal nutrition are just incredibly important, even more so than we already knew," Case said in an interview.

Since the study's data only included populations in the United Kingdom and the United States, the findings could not be applied to other regions, Case said.

And how tall are the researchers?

They are both about 5 feet 8 inches tall, well above the average height of 5 feet 4 inches for American women.

The headline uses a Kobe/Nash pic... so that lured me in. Pretty interesting study.. I still don't really believe it though.
Maybe the reason taller people get paid more on the average is because height is a quality that people tend to find appealing.
But they do pose a good argument with the amount of nurturing that comes along with development.

Amen to that!

Last edited by LakerHabib on Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
bballfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Um No... Some of the ppl in the nba would disprove this theory immediately

RIP Jayden Odom
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject:

I'm 6'1" with a 155 IQ, so yes, it seems to make perfect sense to me.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject:

By this logic, the game of basketball, should be a haven, for geniuses!!... Like, we've seen a lot of that... :roll: Let's see, that means that Shaq, Elden Campbell, Kwame Brown, and some others, should have a big advantage, than most of us... What happened??....
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject:

LakersSpirit wrote:
By this logic, the game of basketball, should be a haven, for geniuses!!... Like, we've seen a lot of that... :roll: Let's see, that means that Shaq, Elden Campbell, Kwame Brown, and some others, should have a big advantage, than most of us... What happened??....

Kwame Brown's a genius. He's a multimillionaire and never went to college. He even tricked the great Michael Jordan into thinking he was competitive and picking him first overall.

O.T. Has anyone every compared Kwame to Jordan in interviews. They sound identical. Both sound calm and collected and sound like they know what they are talking about.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:

im 6'1 but i was an average student.... however i did graduate college
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

5'8 over here..........C average student in highschool. But in college, i averaged a 3.7 gpa
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
LakersSpirit wrote:

Kwame Brown's a genius. He's a multimillionaire and never went to college. He even tricked the great Michael Jordan into thinking he was competitive and picking him first overall.

O.T. Has anyone every compared Kwame to Jordan in interviews. They sound identical. Both sound calm and collected and sound like they know what they are talking about.

when I left the study of psychology, there was a movement, by many theorists, to consider many different types of intelligence... Yes, basketball players are geniuses, in their own right... People pay them millions of dollars, to watch them jump around, in their underwear!!...
joshman445
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:

im like 6'1 1/2 and i have like a 3.0....but i think i could do a little better....but i dont see how being taller makes you smarter...but ok
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:

I believe the scientific term for a "study" with this many holes in it is (bleep).
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject:

One thing I learned, in my psychological studies, is that statistics can be easily manipulated... Statistics can be a useful tool, and was meant to lead us out of that proverbial "cave, where we only see shadows"... However, from my own observations, you can also be imprisoned in the cave of statistical findings!!

All science, including psychology, and intelligence testing, must come from many sources, including case studies, and reality-based observations, and using data, from as many sources as possible.

The very meaning of intelligence is constantly being debated... What scientists, have found, is that genius-level intelligence has been found in people of all races, and walks of life. Any attempt to attribute intelligence, to one, or a few factors, such as height, would seem to be misguided, or not fully completed, in a truly scientific manner, with integrity.

Scientific studies can be manipulated, for political reasons, or to promote certain segments of society, as being superior, to others.

In view of many things that are happening around us... I would have to say, that we should be focusing on wisdom, and understanding, which would guide our use of intelligence.
LakerHabib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject:

LakersSpirit wrote:
One thing I learned, in my psychological studies, is that statistics can be easily manipulated... Statistics can be a useful tool, and was meant to lead us out of that proverbial "cave, where we only see shadows"... However, from my own observations, you can also be imprisoned in the cave of statistical findings!!

All science, including psychology, and intelligence testing, must come from many sources, including case studies, and reality-based observations, and using data, from as many sources as possible.

The very meaning of intelligence is constantly being debated... What scientists, have found, is that genius-level intelligence has been found in people of all races, and walks of life. Any attempt to attribute intelligence, to one, or a few factors, such as height, would seem to be misguided, or not fully completed, in a truly scientific manner, with integrity.

Scientific studies can be manipulated, for political reasons, or to promote certain segments of society, as being superior, to others.

In view of many things that are happening around us... I would have to say, that we should be focusing on wisdom, and understanding, which would guide our use of intelligence.

You're obviously 7'4.

Just playing, but good points. There are flaws up and down the ladder... from how the statistics are gathered to how they're interpreted.
Good reference too (cave where we only see our shadows)

Amen to that!
HungryBear
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject:

wow what a load. this makes absolutely no sense. Parental attention and guidance would dwarf any factor that height has on intelligence. Sorry to be stereotypical, but I mean, come on, Asians in general are not as tall as others, and yet they score significantly higher on stnadardized tests due to parental pressure and what not.
PassiontoWin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:

One of the stupidest things I've heard in a while here...
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Im 6'1 with a 127 IQ, but I think shorter people are smarter cuz I know japs cant grow any taller than 5'5.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject:

Those infants exposed to drugs and alcohol during development do tend to be smaller and lower IQ. If one takes a fairly narrow range of ethnicities, you would expect the more heavily substance abuse group to do more poorly. It has to do with physical development, nutrition and nurture. If a child grows to be tall, his physical development and nutrition were very likely good. His nuture was also likely good. Taller kids are also treated well. By picking a non-diverse group in terms of ethnicity, they tended to eliminate differences due to ethnicity. Two British studies and one US study wouldn't be ethnically representative group, much less a group that would validly eliminate social discrimination as a factor.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject:

In other news Einstein is reported to be 8 feet tall.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Im 6'1 with a 127 IQ, but I think shorter people are smarter cuz I know japs cant grow any taller than 5'5.

Japs are the smartest but they did the study on Caucasians.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

Japs are the smartest but they did the study on Caucasians.

Two people with claimed IQ's of 155 and 127 who don't know that the term "Japs" is offensive?

BTW, I'm taller than both of you
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: