OFFICIAL: College Football 2006 Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: OFFICIAL: College Football 2006 Thread

The first games are Thursday, August 31st. All the teams have pretty much broken camp and are making normal, game week preparations.

College football is here, and your team, regardless of who you root for, is likely a National Championship contender. There are so many teams this year that have a shot to go to the BCS title game (January 8th, in Glendale, Arizona) that I don't know how you could make a pre-season top-25.

But, here are the teams who I think will be in the BCS mix –
Notre Dame – If they can defend
Texas – If their QBs are efficient. They don’t have to win games, just be efficient
Oklahoma – If Paul Thompson becomes a passing threat
USC - If Booty performs as hoped and they can get past the first 3
Ohio State
Miami – Nasty defense
FSU – Nasty defense II
Florida
Auburn
LSU
West Virginia – Good and has a Lovely schedule
Louisville – Good and has a Lovely schedule II
Iowa – Great QB and gets OSU at home
Cal – Not So Fast My Friend: Overlooked, but stacked. Needs a QB to perform

Kickoff Weekend Games of Note:

Cal at Tennessee (let’s go Cal)
Utah at UCLA (UCLA has to win this one and the Arizona game. The end of the schedule is brutal)
USC at Arkansas (Obviously will be closer than last year)
Washington State at Auburn (could get ugly)
Notre Dame at Georgia Tech
UAB at Oklahoma
North Texas at Texas (nothing more than a scrimmage for the Longhorns)
UTEP at San Diego State (Thursday, 8/31)
BYU at Arizona
Hawaii at Alabama
Mississippi St at South Carolina (Thursday, 8/31)
Nevada at Fresno State (Friday, 9/1)
Florida State at Miami (Monday, 9/4 – awesome game to wrap up the weekend)
vandido626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:

ITS ABOUT Fing TIME!!!!!!

I couldn't take anymore ALL baseball highlights. There really needs to be a good alternative to baseball during the july-august period.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject:

No PSU?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
No PSU?

I like Morelli at QB (from what I saw in the spring game anyway), but the defense took a huge hit to graduation. Yes, Posluszny is still there, but they’re replacing 7 starters on the D. At OSU and at ND in the first 4 weeks doesn’t help matters.

They'll be a good team, but I just don't think they'll be playing in a BCS game.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: College Football 2006

unggoy wrote:
I don't know how you could make a pre-season top-25.

Easy. You look at what returning players did last year,coupled that with your estimation of their work ethic,inteligence,and their overall ability to improve. Make projections on the careers of incoming freshman based on one page or one paragraph scouting reports.

My top 25

1) Notre Dame
2) Ohio State
3) Southern Cal
4) Texas
5) West Virginia
6) Auburn
7) LSU
8 )Florida
9) Cal
10) Florida State
11) Oklahoma
12) Miami
13) Michigan
14) Louisville
15) Georgia
16) Penn State
17) Oregon
18 )Nebraska
19) Iowa
20) Alabama
21) Tennessee
22) Arizona State
23) Clemson
24) Virginia Tech
25) Arkansas (:LOL: Had to get one more USC opponent on there!)

BTW: I would have ranked Oklahoma #1 with Rhett Bomar and I would have ranked V Tech around 13 with Marcus Vick. Oh well.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't have ranked OU #1 with Bomar (after what I know now). Turns out he was alienating a lot of his teammates. He supposedly had the respect of Peterson, but I think that's more indicative of what a class act Peterson is and not one to bad-mouth someone. Everyone else was either indifferent or just flat out didn't like him.

It appears Bomar had the Golden Boy Syndrome.

At least Paul has the respect of everyone, including the coaches. I think that will go a long way towards how these guys perform for him. Plus, Coach Wilson is and always has been, a guy that coaches to his players strengths. Paul failed last year because Long tried the same ol', same ol' after having Heupel, White and Hybl. Wilson is changing things up.

I'm excited about some of the prospects. I tell you what... if OU can work this new TE they have (Gresham) into plays... he's gonna cause some huge problems for the opposition. He is a matchup nightmare. Guy is 6'7" 250 pounds and runs a sub 4.5 40. His teammates say he likes to hit people and goes all out, all the time.

I think this season has more question marks than any I can remember. No clear cut favorite and everyone has holes to fill.
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject:

I think you have to make Ohio state the favorite going in for these 4 reasons

-troy smith
-dangerous skill position players
-they always have a capable D
-they get michigan at home.

this hurts me to say these things as I am a michigan fan.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Michlake wrote:

-troy smith

They also get texas on the road.
Vincent_Vega
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Not sold on Ohio State's defense this year. 6-7 starters lost from last year. The focus has been on that offense. I'm sold on that. But what about the D?

Texas will have a freshman at QB. Still, 16 returning starters and we Mack Brown has never had a problem recruiting. My guess is their two deep is rock solid. Should they get past Ohio State, I can see them running the table.

Haven't followed OU that closely, but remember their OL being a big question coming into this season. Never really liked Chuck Long, so maybe a fresh face will be a good thing for them.

ND. We know the offense will roll. Defense??? Big, big question.

USC. Even more questions. QB and DT are the glaring questions. I think Booty should be fine with more conservative playcalling at the start. Not so confident about the DT. The 3-4 alignment will be strictly situational, so I don't expect to see too much of that. Will be fun watching those LBs fly around though.

West Virginia. Big Least team. Sorry, this conference was a farce before the shake up. Now, it's just embarrassing.

Still think Urban Meyer will have that offense at a high level very soon and that's something I'm interested in keeping up with as the season gets started.

It's all up for grabs.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject:

USC's running back situation will be interesting. By committee? Booty will be playing a conservative offense, I have to agree Vega...

Regardless of what happened last season, they still have a target on their backs in the Pac-10.

Nervously excited.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject:

OU's problem on the OL is primarily depth. Talent-wise they can hang with anyone. Just have to stay relatively healthy, or we might see some switches from DL to OL. Of course, last time OU did that, it turned out pretty well (Jamaal Brown).
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Michlake wrote:

-troy smith

They also get texas on the road.

yea, but texas's QB will be making his first start aganist a real team.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Michlake wrote:

-troy smith

He is a good college QB. Not sold on promise that he is a championship caliber QB. He has talent I doubt the consistency. We Shall see.

They "always have good defense" does not wash with me when they lost their linebacker corps and the heart of the defense. Not to mention the other starters.

But like JD says EVERYBODY HAS HOLES.

So I guess it comes down to evaluation on who has the biggest and projecting last years non-starters and freshman phenoms to starters this year.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject:

ESPN is going all out in their coverage of Miami/FSU this weekend.

ESPN will carry the game in a normal fashion. ESPN2 will have the cameras focused on Bowden, Coker and select players, and ESPNU will use the SkyCam, with Colin Cowherd doing the analysis.

This is similar to what they did for the Duke/UNC game, and I quickly realized it was better to just watch the game as normal.

Hopefully, there'll be more points scored this year. Not that I mind a defensive struggle, like last year's game was, but if you're going all out with SkyCam, SidelineCam, MonkeyCam, LlamaCam, whatever else Cam, I'd like to see a little bit of offense. With these two D's though, it could be tough

I'll take the 'Canes and the Under.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
ESPN is going all out in their coverage of Miami/FSU this weekend.

ESPN will carry the game in a normal fashion. ESPN2 will have the cameras focused on Bowden, Coker and select players, and ESPNU will use the SkyCam, with Colin Cowherd doing the analysis.

This is similar to what they did for the Duke/UNC game, and I quickly realized it was better to just watch the game as normal.

Hopefully, there'll be more points scored this year. Not that I mind a defensive struggle, like last year's game was, but if you're going all out with SkyCam, SidelineCam, MonkeyCam, LlamaCam, whatever else Cam, I'd like to see a little bit of offense. With these two D's though, it could be tough

I'll take the 'Canes and the Under.

Dish had some similar coverage last year (I believe it was thru TBS), on the Dish Home service. You could go to it and it would show you something like 6 views all at once. If you highlighted a different view, it would give you the audio from that one.

Only time I found it really interesting was when the main network would cut to commercials, the other feeds would stay live and were mic'd... so you got a lot of what was going on with the coaches.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject:

^ I think I read the same thing with this one. When there is a break, ESPN 360 - whatever that is - is staying at the game with in-game stats and, hopefully, the coaches mic'd up. They certainly won't have to worry about Bowden cursing on TV, except for the occasional 'daggummit!'.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject:

BTW... edited the thread title. Never been a need for another one, as it typically stays running through the season.
Kdawg8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

Ohio State lost 9 defensive starters this offseason so they will have holes on D and a big factor lost in the mix is they have a new placekicker. Tressel-ball is based on Defense and Special teams, they had Nugent and then Huston, I think last year, so they've had great ST play but with a new kicker we will have to wait and see.

Texas has a ridiculous offensive line back so McCoy should be fine.

I like Auburn to win the title this year, Cox and Irons are back as well as a schedule that lines up nicely with LSU, Florida and Georgia all at home.

I can't wait to get the season kicked off, heading back to Ann Arbor on Friday to watch Michigan take on Vanderbilt. Also want to see how Cal does against Tennesee, I think the Bears take that one.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Vincent_Vega wrote:
West Virginia. Big Least team. Sorry, this conference was a farce before the shake up. Now, it's just embarrassing.

Keep thinking that way

Defensively we'll be a little weak this year in the secondary but our offense only had to replace 1 starter from last season. Our offense is no joke.
Caron1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Notre Dame has no business being anyones number 1.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Caron1 wrote:

yeah they do

They added some speed on defense.

And the only real loss on offense was Anthony Fasano

and I really like Konrad Reuland.

I think the offense will carry the defense for the first half and they will get it togother.

Will they win the chapmionship? Probably not but I think their chances are at least a smidgen better than everyone else's.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject:

NestT wrote:

I really like Konrad Reuland.

I had forgotten all about Reuland. I guess John Carlson will start (based on the South Bend Tribune), but I hope Konrad gets some time.

I recall when ND had another OC guy, Mike McNair, from Mater Dei. I was really hoping McNair would do some damage there, but he never really got off special teams and short yardage situations. Can't remember if it was injuries or what.

Also, Rhema McKnight from Kennedy HS will figure into the offense pretty prominently.
Caron1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject:

NestT wrote:
Caron1 wrote:

yeah they do

They added some speed on defense.

And the only real loss on offense was Anthony Fasano

and I really like Konrad Reuland.

I think the offense will carry the defense for the first half and they will get it togother.

Will they win the chapmionship? Probably not but I think their chances are at least a smidgen better than everyone else's.

How did they add speed on defense? They switched an RB to play LB because they are so weak there, and their secondary was consistently on the hot seat last year because they had no pass rush. They had a decent recruiting class last year, but their D is still garbage IMO.

Reuland will be good, his HS team was stacked a few years ago. Watch though, the best freshman TE in the nation will be Anthony McCoy at USC, this guy is a freak.

Back to ND, I wouldnt be suprised if they lose 1 of their first 3 games, and a loss to USC will give them at least 2 losses.
Vincent_Vega
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
Vincent_Vega wrote:

Keep thinking that way

Defensively we'll be a little weak this year in the secondary but our offense only had to replace 1 starter from last season. Our offense is no joke.

Don't get me wrong, I think West Virginia is a good team. They were smoking Georgia last year and hung on for a close finish.

I just think that conference as a whole is a big joke. Having a real hard time calling it a "major conference" since Miami and VaTech left.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject:

Caron1 wrote:
Watch though, the best freshman TE in the nation will be Anthony McCoy at USC, this guy is a freak.

I disagree. Jermaine Gresham, if we're talking athletic freak, has McCoy beat on all fronts. Though, I don't put much stock in recruiting rankings, he also trumps McCoy there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 1 of 25
Jump to: