Steve Irwin aka Croc Hunter Dies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject:

I'm sorry that he died, but at least he died doing something he loved to do.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject:

RIP. My cousin that came from Australia to visit a few days ago was just talking about how huge he is over there... wow.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject:

Sad news. R.I.P.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:

PnGforLife25 wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
So what the hell happens when a stingray nails you in the chest?

Anyone know?

I hand fed a bunch of those in Cayman Island on a shallow dive but I think they were basically tame because of all the human feeding.

Wikipedia:

"Their stinger is a razor-sharp, barbed or serrated cartilaginous spine which grows from the ray's whip-like tail (like a fingernail). It is coated with a toxic venom. This gives them their common name of stingrays, but that name can also be used to refer to any poisonous ray."

ouch.... cardiac arrest under water!!!!
MyKRo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject:

This is very sad. I love watching his shows on Animal Planet.

RIP Steve Irwin.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:

R.I.P mate
Chrome Hearts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:

It's always sad to see somebody who had such passion for what he did die at a premature age. Enthusiasm oozed from his being and his presense will be sorely missed. God speed.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:

WHOA.

RIP, Croc Guy.

MIM
HungryBear
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject:

RIP
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject:

Nicole Richie, Lindsay Lohan, Brittany Spears and other miserable, annoying famous people live, and this guy dies? Worst celebrity death in a long time. Just sucks.
steadyeddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:

They said he's only the third person on record in Australia to actually die from a Stingray. It's unbelievably painful but usually not deadly.

I guess when it pierces under your ribcage and directly into your heart that's not a good thing.

RIP Steve. You were alot of fun to watch.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:

On the news, they reported the barb pierced his heart. It was a fluke accident.
BLP711
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject:

R.I.P. Croc Hunter.

Some of the most entertaining and educational shows I've seen.

Dude was gangsta.

-BLP711
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject:

RIP, Croc Hunter. That sucks.

More info on the way he died here:

Quote:
This morning, at 11am Australian time, things finally came unglued for the 44-year-old as he was shooting a documentary segment on stingrays. Snorkeling on Batt Reef , a stretch of the Great Barrier Reef about 15km from Port Douglas in North Queensland, Irwin happened to swim over a large ray which, startled, whipped its barbed tail upwards into his chest. He died instantly. Veteran marine wildlife documentary maker Ben Cropp, who has spent hundreds of hours filming on Batt Reef, says Irwin had come too close to a bull ray. Citing a colleague who saw footage of the attack, Cropp says Irwin had accidently boxed the animal in, causing it to attack. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest," says Cropp. "It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger." Says Cropp: "It's a one-in-a-million thing. I have swum with many rays, and I have only had one do that to me."

Fellow crew members dragged Irwin from the water and began cardio-pulmonary resuscitation while racing their boat Croc One to meet a rescue helicopter. Despite their efforts, he was pronounced dead at Cairns Base Hospital at noon. Outside the hospital his longtime friend and producer John Stainton said, "He died doing what he loves best, and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. He would have said, Crocs rule."

Sting Rays are passive. Damn. Steve probably didn't even think he was in any danger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject:

We should celebrate a life well-lived... Irwin died a happy man... He was a father, and he did all the things that he truly loved doing.

I also had the strong feeling, that Irwin would be the victim, of some animal attack... If you watch any of those animal shows, you can see, that he could have been killed, in any of those encounters.

There was great controversy, when Irwin took his infant son, into a crocodile enclosure, to meet the crocodile, or alligator. I have to admit, that's one stunt, that I would strongly disagree with... However, I have to say, that his kids will probably grow up, with less psychological problems/fears, than I have. I'm afraid to go out of my apartment, sometimes...

In his memory, we should never forget the lessons in conservation, and environmental concerns, that Irwin espoused.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject:

More on the story...

Quote:
Irwin pulled barb from chest before death
By Michael Perry 1 hour, 24 minutes ago

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Fatally injured by a stingray, Australian "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin pulled its serrated barb out of his chest before losing consciousness and dying, the world-famous naturalist's manager said on Tuesday.

Video footage of the attack shows Irwin swimming above the stingray on the Great Barrier Reef on Monday when it lashed out and speared him in the heart with its barbed tail, manager John Stainton told reporters.

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here (in the chest)," Stainton said after watching the footage.

"He pulled it out and the next minute he's gone. The cameraman had to shut down," he said.

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're actually witnessing somebody die ... it's terrible."

Irwin, 44, the quirky naturalist who won worldwide acclaim as TV's khaki-clad "Crocodile Hunter," was filming a new documentary off Australia's northeastern coast when he was attacked.

Marine experts say stingrays can deliver horrific, agonizing injuries from the toxin-laden barbs, which can measure up to 20 cm (8 in) in length and cause injuries like a knife or bayonet.

"The strongly serrated barb is capable of tearing and rendering flesh," said Dr Bryan Fry, deputy director of the Australian Venom Research Unit.

"It's not the going in that causes the damage, it's the coming out where those deep serrations kind of pull on the flesh, and you end up with a very jagged tear which is quite a pronounced injury," Fry said.

News of Irwin's death shocked Australians and Irwin's millions of fans around the world. Prime Minister John Howard interrupted parliament on Tuesday to pay tribute.

"He was a genuine, one-off, remarkable Australian individual and I am distressed at his death," Howard told parliament.

"We mourn his loss, we're devastated by the tragic circumstances in which he has been taken from us and we send our love and prayers to his grieving family," he said.

"CRIKEY"

Environmental documentary maker Ben Cropp said video of the attack showed Irwin swimming alongside a bull stingray, probably weighing around 100 kg (220 lb). His cameraman was filming in front of the ray, which became frightened and lashed out.

Stingrays are usually placid and only attack in self-defense.

Stainton said the cameraman only became aware of the attack when he noticed Irwin bleeding.

Millions had seen Irwin flirt with death many times as he stalked and played with crocodiles, sharks, snakes and spiders. Stainton said he was struggling to come to terms with the fact that a stingray had killed his friend.

"There's been a million occasions where both of us held our breath and thought we were lucky to get out of that one," Stainton said. "But he just seemed to have a charmed life."

Police said they had examined the footage and would prepare a report for the coroner appointed to determine the cause of death.

Film star Russell Crowe called Irwin the "ultimate wildlife warrior," adding: "He was the Australian we all aspire to be. He touched my heart. I believed in him. I'll miss him."

Known for his catchphrase "Crikey" during close encounters with animals, Irwin made almost 50 documentaries which appeared on the cable TV channel Animal Planet.

U.S.-based television company Discovery Communications, which produces Animal Planet, said it would set up a conservation fund in honor of Irwin, dubbed in one tribute a "modern-day Noah," and planned a marathon showing of his programs.

Discovery said the footage of Irwin's fatal dive might never be broadcast.

Australian newspapers paid tribute to Irwin on Tuesday, while fans including American tourists laid wreaths outside his Australia Zoo in tropical Queensland state.

"We thought he was Superman, that he was indestructible," said an editorial in Sydney's The Daily Telegraph.

"We were wrong"
KobeWanKenobi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Crikey. Rest In Peace Mate.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Wow. I freak out if I have to pull a splinter out of my thumb. Nevermind pulling a poisonous barb out of your heart while underwater. What an unfortunate accident.... RIP.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Just when you thought it was okay, to get into the water!!... I was imagining all those people, who have played with stingrays, and fed them, up close... I could just see these people fainting, at the thought, that it could have been them.

I hope I don't dissuade anyone, from getting close to nature... We just have to be more aware, and educated, about the natural world, that many of us have been estranged from.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Irwin, 44, was killed almost instantly when the stingray stabbed him in the heart with its poisonous 20cm barb

20cm = almost 8 inches

Not confirmed yet but it does not seem that it was poison that killed him but the barb was the size of a kitchen knive and went right through his heart.

Last edited by lakersfreak on Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject:

LakersSpirit wrote:
Just when you thought it was okay, to get into the water!!... I was imagining all those people, who have played with stingrays, and fed them, up close...

I did that in Cayman, place called Stingray City, about 20 - 30 feet of water.

They literally swarm you looking for food but where very gentle, probably because of all the hand feeding.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject:

My son dressed as the Crocodile Hunter for Halloween a couple years ago when he was 3 years old. Tonight, Discovery ran a biography on Irwin and my wife told him that he died yesterday. My son asked if he got killed by a crocodile and was told what happened. My son had been wanting to go as a Knight for Halloween this year, but after he heard this he said he wanted to go as the Crocodile Hunter again... He's a good kid.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:27 am    Post subject:

This is a very sad day for humanity. Mr. Irwin was my idol. But at least he was able to go out the way he wanted. Living....
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject:

This is just peachy. A truly great human being dies in a freak accident while soulless vessels like Paris Hilton and Kevin Federline are alive and well. There's no justice in this world.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject:

Heard this on the news this morning:

Animal Planet will rename the garden space in front of Discovery's world headquarters in Silver Spring, Montgomery County, Maryland, to the "Steve Irwin Memorial Sensory Garden." They are also looking at the creation of the Steve Irwin Crocodile Hunter Fund, which they will call "The Crikey Fund" which will "allow people from across the globe to make contributions in Steve's honor to support wildlife protection, education and conservation."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: