Best Hip Hop Album of All Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Don't know if they're the 'best' of all time.... but these albums I will NEVER get tired of.

Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Outkast - ATLiens
Spice 1 - 187 he wrote
Devin the Dude - Devin
The Coup - Genocide and Juice
Wu Tang Clan - Enter the Wu
UGK - Ridin Dirty
MC Eiht - We come strapped
Bone - E. 1999 Eternal
Ice Cube - The Predator

and probably a boatload of others I can't remember...
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject:

psydesho wrote:
How can you ask that question? Too much to choose from.

Gotta add:

NWA's Straight Out Compton
Ice Cubes - Death Certificate
Eminem's - Slim Shady LP
LL's - the 2nd album - can't remember the name.
Beasty Boys - Paul's Boutique

Walking with a Panther?
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject:

are we talking hip/hop, gangsta rap, or just rap?

cas if its gangsta rap..... my list would be like 3 pages long of west coast shiznit
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:

cas if its gangsta rap..... my list would be like 3 pages long of west coast shiznit
I guess it depends on your definition of hiphop (i.e. I would consider Lauryn Hill's first album a hiphop album but not rap album even though it has a some rap on it)...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

For me....hands down it's....

All Eyez on Me.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

I like tupac, but lyrically, he is highly overrated.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Jay-z - Reasonable Doubt

Man am I going to get some heat in this thread. That's my opinion though

^^Snipes, the only way I'll allow you to choose Reasonable Doubt, is if you thought it was a classic when it actually came out. Not after the fact.
like most of us. that were not high on Jigga until after that Gold album. Most people went back and then listened to RD and put it up in the classic realm.

Now my pick................................of all time huh?...............ummmm lets see..................Death Certificate-Ice Cube
....................The Chronic-Dr. Dre(snoop/Dpg/rage, death row in general)
...............Radio-LL Cool J, Walking With a Panther-LL Cool J
.......... It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back-PE
.............Illmatic-Nas........
Edutainment-BDP....
Run DMC- Run D.M.C- King of Rock or Raising Hell

EPMD-Strictly Business, Unfinished Business, Business as Usual-
............. N.W.A and the Posse or Straight Outta Compton-NWA........

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik or AtLiens- Outkast..
Funkdafied- Da Brat(could be the best female rap album of all time)......... Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)-Wu Tang........
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx-Raekwon...
.Paid in Full-Eric B. & Rakim....
The Dynasty Roc la Familia-Jay Z(your first introduction to Freeway)........

Ready to Die or Life After Death- The Notorious B.I.G. aka Biggie Smalls aka Biggie aka Frank White
... The Low End Theory or Midnight Marauders -A Tribe Called Quest.... but wait you can't mention Tribe without first mentioning De La Soul- 3 Feet High and Rising.............
what about The Fugees - The Score.
THE DOC - No One Can Do It Better (before the accident)
2pac- Me Against the World
Snoop Dogg- Doggystyle
Dr Dre - 2001
Eminem- The Slim Shady LP or The Marshall Mathers LP

No way you can pick one. No way possible.
honorable mentions, Mc Eihts - We Come Strapped,
Comptons Most Wanted - Music to Driveby or Straight Checkn 'Em

DJ Quik -Quik Is the Name or Way 2 Fonky
2pac's - All Eyez on me and Makaveli(people say its better then it really is because he passed during this one)

I didn't mention anyone from the Bay, Too Short has a good 3 solid albums. E-40 has a good 2, mc Breed, we can go on forever. and notice I haven't even got into the back packer rappers.

If you ask Kanye, he thinks his first album is a classic. what about Common Sense -.

No way you can choose just one.

Redman's first album.

The Death Squad's first album (Eric sermon, Redman, Keith Murray, K-Solo)

No way you can pick one.

Scarface, Ghetto Boyz, 8ball & MJG,
my bad, Bone Thugz. WOW

no way you can choose just one.
Billy_Blanko
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:

I haven't really ever heard many people say that Pac was a upper echelon lyricist (as compared to say the more 'complex' emcees of the world). I mainly hear people talking about the feeling and the power of his rhymes, which I think is different. There are a lot of technically gifted wordsmith emcees who have no rights to greatness except that they can turn a phrase. I think 'lyrics' are overrated, in that people use them as the be all and end all of measurement.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:

^^Snipes, the only way I'll allow you to choose Reasonable Doubt, is if you thought it was a classic when it actually came out. Not after the fact.
like most of us. that were not high on Jigga until after that Gold album. Most people went back and then listened to RD and put it up in the classic realm.

Funny you should say that.... true story, back when 'Hard Knock Life' dropped, one of my boys told me to go back and listen to RD,... and at the time my boy felt it was his best work. Seems like the album had to 'marinate' a while people 'felt it'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:

I guess it depends on your definition of hiphop (i.e. I would consider Lauryn Hill's first album a hiphop album but not rap album even though it has a some rap on it)...

Hiphop is hiphop,Gangsta rap, just rap ( whatever that is), back packer rap, underground, commercial, all sides(east, west, south, midwest). but you noticed I thru a few west coast names out there to cover the G-rap.

wait a minute how did i forget to mention Doug E. Fresh & Slick Rick. my bad. see what I'm saying. its to much material, to many classic Albums out. at least prior to Jay's Retirement. everything else after that fact, has been graded on a Curve because of the lack of substance in music today/ lack of lyrics in general. I mean Kanye is probably the best Lyricist/rapper that talks about something this era has to offer. and most people wont give the man his due, because they dont like his arrogance, or his voice or his delivery. But even saying he's probably the best out, thats like admitting that the Game is the best thing the west has to offer to be realistic. But truth be told, thats only the truth because the level of competition is lower nowadays.

now I aint saying these guys wouldn't go harder if they had to. but at the moment there's no reason to try to hard. this entire era of new commercial hiphop is being graded on a curve starting with a C+ which is the same as an A+ from back in the day.
T.I. is pretty good. probably like a C+. but that gives you King status nowadays. when C+ dudes were like Poor Righteous teachers. Stetsasonic, Big mike(dude from the south). I mean, the pharcyde was a hot group, but those dudes albums were no more then B status, maybe B+. Thats how tough the comp was back then. not a knock on them. cause if they dropped their first album today. they would be a King group in comparison to this questionable music we're listening to today.

but Lauryn's album wasn't hiphop. Its was R & hop. not & blues, but the hop out of hiphop. not enough rap on that album to consider it hiphop. if you're going to give that album hiphop honors. then all of mary's albums have to go on there. just off the strength of her affiliation, same for faith evans.

but seriously. the Lauryn joint was Soul with a couple of rapped verses. great album non the less.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:

Question:
I have noticed that Canadians hate pac for some reason.... In your experience does Canada dislike Tupac? I have seen alot of Canadians still taking sides over the east/west thing of the 90's
Not saying that you do, I just want to know if you have seen the same thing.
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
TACH wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:

Hiphop is hiphop,Gangsta rap, just rap ( whatever that is), back packer rap, underground, commercial, all sides(east, west, south, midwest). but you noticed I thru a few west coast names out there to cover the G-rap.

wait a minute how did i forget to mention Doug E. Fresh & Slick Rick. my bad. see what I'm saying. its to much material, to many classic Albums out. at least prior to Jay's Retirement. everything else after that fact, has been graded on a Curve because of the lack of substance in music today/ lack of lyrics in general. I mean Kanye is probably the best Lyricist/rapper that talks about something this era has to offer. and most people wont give the man his due, because they dont like his arrogance, or his voice or his delivery. But even saying he's probably the best out, thats like admitting that the Game is the best thing the west has to offer to be realistic. But truth be told, thats only the truth because the level of competition is lower nowadays.

now I aint saying these guys wouldn't go harder if they had to. but at the moment there's no reason to try to hard. this entire era of new commercial hiphop is being graded on a curve starting with a C+ which is the same as an A+ from back in the day.
T.I. is pretty good. probably like a C+. but that gives you King status nowadays. when C+ dudes were like Poor Righteous teachers. Stetsasonic, Big mike(dude from the south). I mean, the pharcyde was a hot group, but those dudes albums were no more then B status, maybe B+. Thats how tough the comp was back then. not a knock on them. cause if they dropped their first album today. they would be a King group in comparison to this questionable music we're listening to today.

but Lauryn's album wasn't hiphop. Its was R & hop. not & blues, but the hop out of hiphop. not enough rap on that album to consider it hiphop. if you're going to give that album hiphop honors. then all of mary's albums have to go on there. just off the strength of her affiliation, same for faith evans.

but seriously. the Lauryn joint was Soul with a couple of rapped verses. great album non the less.

Good post, I am 27 and I have all but completly abandoned Hip Hop. It should be called Club Hop now. The south has dumbed down lyrics to cartoon type levels. I cant blame them though because they are making money but the content just isn't there. In the early 90's there were good artists that got overlooked (Pharcyde, Arrested Development, The Luniz) because of the strength of their competition. Now I would beg those guys to come back and save us from listening to stuff like "Shoulder Leam" and "Ohh I think they like me"
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:

Kobe>T-mac wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Question:
I have noticed that Canadians hate pac for some reason.... In your experience does Canada dislike Tupac? I have seen alot of Canadians still taking sides over the east/west thing of the 90's
Not saying that you do, I just want to know if you have seen the same thing.

^^not that I'm from canada but how in the world are they going to take a side?
Canada is the true NORTHSIDE. if aint beef with the South, then whats the big deal?listen to the music. I should be mad at canada for allowing steve nash to be born and cheat my boy Kobe out of an MVP this past season. but you dont see me cryin.

but people always either overexaggerate or under state pac's lyrics.

most of his materal is Pure unadulterated Eastcoast/Wu Tangish/Jay Z lyrics. Thats not how Pac used to rap. He kept it simple but extremely poetic. Similar to Ice Cube.

but pac has laid down some serious versus. just go check

Proof song :"Got My Mind Made Up"-off of All Eyez on Me
Quote:

"So mandatory my elevation my lyrics like orientation
So you can be more familiar with tha n**a you facin
We must be based on nothin better than communication
Known to damage and highly flamable like gas stations
Sorry I left that a*s waitin
No more procrastination give up to fate, and get that a*s shakin
I'm bustin and makin motherf**kers panic
Don't take ya life for granted put that a*s in the dirt
You swear the b*tch was planted
My lyrics motivate the planet
It's similar to Rhythm Nation
but thugged out, forgive me Janet
Who's in control I'm acvtivatin yo souls
You know, the way the games get controlled
Yo, two years ago, a friend of mine
Told me Alize and Cristal blows your mind
Bear witness to the dopest f**kin rhyme I wrote
Takin off my coat, clearing my throat"

lets break it down

Quote:
Don't take ya life for granted put that a*s in the dirt
You swear the b*tch was planted
see, if you know anything about rap. you know one of the harder things to do is not say the words "Its like". pac could've said, "Like You were planted". still would've been a nice line. But the fact he has been rapping for so long, and he's so good at it. he knows how not to use the usual "its like". Check your favorite rappers. and notice how in their earlier years it was all "its like... its like....".

Quote:
My lyrics motivate the planet
It's similar to Rhythm Nation
but thugged out, forgive me Janet

Most people think they understand this line, but what most people dont realize is that he and janet had a thing going(remember poetic justice). But the roomer went because of his Thug ways they had to split up. Thats turns a nice line into a Heavy Hot Liner, Double meaning people.

Quote:
Yo, two years ago, a friend of mine
Told me Alize and Cristal blows your mind

who remembers where the bold portion came from? Thats how you pay homage to the greats. you spit it without saying there names. but you say it like they said it. They will know. Wake up people. pac is lot better then you think.

Quote:
Bear witness to the dopest f**kin rhyme I wrote
Takin off my coat, clearing my throat"

^^^the line in bold is all Swagger, something Mcee's have to have. The dude is acting like he is just getting started after saying you just witnessed his illest rhyme. Come on people, give the man his due.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

i dont mind the club hop music because when i go to clubs I dance with girls with the biggest butts and they grind it in me to the tune of salt shaker, shake that monkey, hoochie mama, akinyele, etc... so i appreciate what the south has done to over stimluate my libido.

THANK yOU yin yang twins.... . haaaaaaaaaaaa
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject:

Kobe>T-mac wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
TACH wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:

Good post, I am 27 and I have all but completly abandoned Hip Hop. It should be called Club Hop now. The south has dumbed down lyrics to cartoon type levels. I cant blame them though because they are making money but the content just isn't there. In the early 90's there were good artists that got overlooked (Pharcyde, Arrested Development, The Luniz) because of the strength of their competition. Now I would beg those guys to come back and save us from listening to stuff like "Shoulder Leam" and "Ohh I think they like me"

When I think hip hop,.. I think 'culture'. Hip Hop to me was about rhyming, DJ'ing, dancing, graffiti, beat boxing, etc. Rhyming was just one facet of Hip Hop. I guess each generation see it differently (and there's nothing wrong with that), and I understand that (especially since I lived on both coast in the early to mid-80's).
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Kobe>T-mac wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
TACH wrote:
Lakers999 wrote:

When I think hip hop,.. I think 'culture'. Hip Hop to me was about rhyming, DJ'ing, dancing, graffiti, beat boxing, etc. Rhyming was just one facet of Hip Hop. I guess each generation see it differently (and there's nothing wrong with that), and I understand that (especially since I lived on both coast in the early to mid-80's).

I agree, but we were talking about albums. which means the music portion of hiphop.
I dont usually even discuss graffiti because being on the west coast. I saw a lot of wanna be stuff, that wasn't even close to low level stuff on the east coast. and thats just from pictures I've seen from friends that would go to visit, videos, and movies. not saying all westcoast graff was wack. but you gotta be honest. most of our Freeway graff was more wack tagger stuff. just throw a wack name up there, that looked like bad hand writing not actual graffiti art. kind of like "SPIT" from ya favorite movie.

Same with Break Dancin. East Coast had it on Lock. at least from a commercial perspective. now when Housin came out, that was a different story, that evened the playing field. anyone remember Def Jef? You remember his dancers?
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Don't know if they're the 'best' of all time.... but these albums I will NEVER get tired of.

Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Outkast - ATLiens
Spice 1 - 187 he wrote
Devin the Dude - Devin
UGK - Ridin Dirty
Bone - E. 1999 Eternal
Ice Cube - The Predator

What you know about Spiggidy Spice 1? 187 fact aka 187proof, You wanna talk about Trunk Music. whoa.
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:

My top 20 (impossible to choose 1) in no particular order:

Public Enemy - It takes a nation of millions
BDP - Criminal Minded
Ice Cube - Amerikkkas most wanted
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
Cunninlyguists - A piece of strange (for the dude who isnt feeling the South, check this out)Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Blackstar - Blackstar
J-Live - All of the above
Cannibal Ox - The cold vein
Common - Ressurection
Park-like setting - School day 2
Supastition - The deadline EP (another dope Southern emcee)
Mr Lif - I Phantom
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
A Tribe called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Binary Star - Masters of the universe
Brother Ali - Shadows on the sun
Illogic - Celestial Clockwork
Jurassic 5 - Quality Control
Organized Confussion - Stress:The Extinction Agenda
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject:

NWA's - Straight outta Compton ....

Marshall Mathers LP .... just because Eminem brought straight heat on that album. Best line from "Kill You"

I invented violence, you vile venomous volatile (bleep)
vain Vicadin, vrinnn Vrinnn, VRINNN!

The Chronic

The Shadiest One by Dub C - very underrated album
dipsetlaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Cam'ron- purple haze

Jim Jones-On my way to Church (classic)

Kanye west-Late Registration (classic)
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
postandpivot wrote:

Funny you should say that.... true story, back when 'Hard Knock Life' dropped, one of my boys told me to go back and listen to RD,... and at the time my boy felt it was his best work. Seems like the album had to 'marinate' a while people 'felt it'.

I agree, I had to go back to listen to RD. But I really liked his album the Blueprint and the Black album was a nice way to finish off.

And lmao at the Kevin Federline comment
Billy_Blanko
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject:

dipsetlaker wrote:

Jim Jones-On my way to Church (classic)

LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject:

I can't believe no one listed:

X-Clan - To The East, Blackwards

One of the most powerful Hip Hop albums of all time, if not THE most powerful, with its Pro-Black message and vibe and its brilliant usage of P Funk/Funkadelic samplings. Along with Brotha J's dope delivery and knowledge and Grand Verbalizer's signature "Vainglorious! This is protected by the Red, the Black, and the Green! With a Key! Sissssssyah!"

R.I.P. Grand Verbalizer.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
I can't believe no one listed:

X-Clan - To The East, Blackwards

One of the most powerful Hip Hop albums of all time, if not THE most powerful, with its Pro-Black message and vibe and its brilliant usage of P Funk/Funkadelic samplings. Along with Brotha J's dope delivery and knowledge and Grand Verbalizer's signature "Vainglorious! This is protected by the Red, the Black, and the Green! With a Key! Sissssssyah!"

R.I.P. Grand Verbalizer.

you're correct. X-clan. "brotha jay, Brotha jay, Brothaaaa Jaaaay"
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Outkast - ATLiens
Spice 1 - 187 he wrote
Devin the Dude - Devin
UGK - Ridin Dirty
Bone - E. 1999 Eternal
Ice Cube - The Predator

What you know about Spiggidy Spice 1? 187 fact aka 187proof, You wanna talk about Trunk Music. whoa.

Man... that dropped back when I was in High school. Songs nowdays just don't have the same kind of "slump" that they used to. Spice's follow up to that, 'Amerikkka's Nightmare', is arguably at the same level. The Bay was on fire back then. (E-40, the Dangerous Crew, Luniz, Dru Down, Richie Rich, Mac Mall etc.) e40 is hot right now commercially... but he was at his best a decade ago.

As far as Reasonable Doubt goes... I WAS 'feelin' it' back when it dropped. Heard the first single on the radio with Foxy Brown and who I thought at the time was Nate Dogg on the hook for "Ain't No N---" ...it caught my attention and I picked up the album that summer ( I THINK it was summer) and it's been a favorite of mine ever since. Gained a new appreciation for new school East Coast rappers because of Hov.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: