TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:

maddprophet wrote:
cinimod wrote:
Can-I-Bus

yeah , that knuckleheads career really took off after battling ll cool j
Can-A-Who... Effing with Cool J has shown to be a career ender...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cinimod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
maddprophet wrote:
cinimod wrote:
Can-I-Bus

yeah , that knuckleheads career really took off after battling ll cool j
Can-A-Who... Effing with Cool J has shown to be a career ender...

I actually think he got the better of LL...

Canibus has to major flaws tho -

1. He cant write a hook to save his life...

2. He uses words so big sometimes that unless you have a pretty big vocabulary or a dictionary, you don't get the impact of what he's said...

But dude is sick with the flow...
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject:

The Game has the best flow, period.

I cant believe any1 said Common yet, his lyrics are dope, some Rappers consider I Used to Love H.E.R the Goat lyrics.

But again, I take Cube.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best Lyricist of All time

Vancouver Fan wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

I thought it was Jay-z that wrote Still D.R.E.

you are correct sir!

For real?
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

E-40 is pretty hard too
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
I cant believe any1 said Common yet, his lyrics are dope, some Rappers consider I Used to Love H.E.R the Goat lyrics.

koolruningz wrote:
Also worth mentioning are Gift of Gab, Black Thought, Supastition, Illogic, Common, Krs -One, Chuck D, Rakim, Brother Ali and Eyedea.

lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Lakers999 wrote:
E-40 is pretty hard too

"Ooh. Jesus Christ had dreads, so shake em
I aint got none, but I'm planning on growing some
Imagine all the Hebrews going dumb
Dancing on top of chariots and turning tight ones
Ooh, tell me when to go"

what the hell?E-40 doesnt belong in this thread.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject:

koolruningz wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:

koolruningz wrote:
Also worth mentioning are Gift of Gab, Black Thought, Supastition, Illogic, Common, Krs -One, Chuck D, Rakim, Brother Ali and Eyedea.

oops sorry.

rewriting my post: I cant believe only me and koolruningz said Common yet....
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

No need to apologise.

I used to love H.E.R. is an all time great track. That whole album Ressurection is incredible.
Have you heard the track he did with Blackstar called Respiration?
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Lyricist of All time

PLATNUM wrote:
cr8zy0 wrote:
so many rap threads thought i'd start another.
who do you guys think is the best rap lyricst of all time?

personally i love nas. for god sakes he wrote Still Dre and that's some people's fav song. a lot of ppl don't know he writes songs for other artists.

I thought it was Jay-z that wrote Still D.R.E. Can't chime in on the best lyricist portion of this. I think there are too many factors that come into play.An artist can have some crazy, make you think type lyrics, but his voice and delivery might bore you to death. It depends on what you're lookin for.
As far as beats go, I know I'll catch heat for this, but Dre is overrated. He gets plenty help from other producers and samples a lot... and he loses points for delaying Detox. Timbaland is killing everyone right now.. love him or not.

oh boy, here we go again.

DRE is #1. .numero uno(not the pizza). Roman Numeral I, the guy before 2nd. 2 places ahead of 3rd. FIRST. The winner, etc, etc, etc.

Why? because he's bigger then beat making. Most guys make beats. he produces. There's a difference. anytime other great producers give him credit, then dont you think you should also respect there opinions. The only person to really say something was Dupree. and sure Dupree is nice with the production. he also produces. but still. He aint no Dre. all of Da Brat's first album sounded like Dupree wishing he was Dre.

Dr. Dre is gangsta rap. you take away dre. what happens?

No em, no em, no D-12. no D-12 no Obie Trice say good bye to detroit in the mainstream.

No Warren G(even though Warren made his own stuff, you knew Warren because of his affiliation to snoop bringing him to Dre, etc,etc), also dre's lil brother

No Warren G, No Nate Dogg, No Snoop, No Dogg Pound(No Kurupt, No Daz's beats (no amerikaz most wanted beats, no gangsta party, etc)

If you take nate away, anyone who enlisted nate on a single. take them away also. because with nate on your first single. you were automatically going to sell.

No Dre, No easy, no NWA, NO ICe Cube in the first place,

NO Ice Cube, then No MAc 10, No W.C.(not commercially), NO west side connection.

If you take away NWA, you take away Gangsta rap pretty much. It wasn't a mainstream thing until NWA sold millions. therefore Say good bye to DJ Quik, McEiht, E-40, even Too Short(cussin on record wasn't excepted prior to NWA and Too Live Crew, they broke the Censorship barrier),

NO NWA, No Jay Z, No Biggie, No Nas(he's an East Coast Ice Cube, street story teller), No 50cent, NO G-unit. NO Game

No Dre= NO WEST COAST.

why do you think if you've ever heard any interviews lately with snoop. He keeps beggin dre to get back deep in the game. so he can produce some of these up and comers, and cosigned them. so the west can start moving again. Now granted. its a shame that an entire coast, is at the mercy of one man. But its real. If Dre dont cosign it. It probably wont sell.

DR. DRe is King producer, he can turn your casio keyboard beat into a platinum selling hit. The guy is a beast on the mixing boards. he can turn your pretty good rapping homeboy into a household name. because he knows how to get the most out of his artist.

This is why he doesn't let any oh thing out. This is why you haven't heard anything from aftermath except for Game, anything before that was Eminem, before that, Snoop/deathrow era. No whole Albums from anyone else(oops truth hurts, that was a mistake and guess where truth is now? off the label). He's about making mega stars. somewhat like diddy.

i mean truth be told. why isn't Diddy in the runnings? its because most people dont know what Producing means. its more then making a beat(sample or no sample). you have to have the correct ear to choose the right sample for the moment, to get the most out of the artist, and get the most out of the audience when they hear it. Dre has been in the game so long he should've fell off years ago. But he's still around. and no matter the age, new artist are still beggin for a dre beat.

someone said J-dilla should be #1. come on stop lying like that. I know the guy is gone RIP Jdilla. but dont lie about it like that. Jdilla had some nice Beats. but was his production flawless like Dre's? No. was he better then premier? NO. not even close. shoot, Jdilla aint better then Hi-Tech. and Hi Tech aint up there.

J.Dupree, come on. its a few guys that would go ahead of my boy Jdilla.

DjQuik.. .These dudes have been producing fire for 10+years.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Lyricist of All time

postandpivot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
cr8zy0 wrote:

personally i love nas. for god sakes he wrote Still Dre and that's some people's fav song. a lot of ppl don't know he writes songs for other artists.

I thought it was Jay-z that wrote Still D.R.E. Can't chime in on the best lyricist portion of this. I think there are too many factors that come into play.An artist can have some crazy, make you think type lyrics, but his voice and delivery might bore you to death. It depends on what you're lookin for.
As far as beats go, I know I'll catch heat for this, but Dre is overrated. He gets plenty help from other producers and samples a lot... and he loses points for delaying Detox. Timbaland is killing everyone right now.. love him or not.

DRE is #1. .numero uno(not the pizza). Roman Numeral I, the guy before 2nd. 2 places ahead of 3rd. FIRST. The winner, etc, etc, etc.

NO NWA, No Jay Z, No Biggie, No Nas(he's an East Coast Ice Cube, street story teller), No 50cent, NO G-unit. NO Game

And if it weren't for George Clinton/P-Funk/Boosty/etc... there would be no Dre.

I'll give Dre his props... but let's be honest... The Chonric, as dope as it is, is just one huge sample...

He's definitely Top 5... no doubt, but he used a lot of samples and some of those samples were barely touched by Dre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Lyricist of All time

TACH wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
cr8zy0 wrote:

And if it weren't for George Clinton/P-Funk/Boosty/etc... there would be no Dre.

I'll give Dre his props... but let's be honest... The Chonric, as dope as it is, is just one huge sample...

He's definitely Top 5... no doubt, but he used a lot of samples and some of those samples were barely touched by Dre.

so true.
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject:

If you want to take the narrow focus off of rap, and use the thread title as written, you get one name:

Stephen Sondheim

...and the scary thing is I find it difficult at times to rank his lyrics ahead of his creativity in musical composition. Other candidates:

Ira Gershwin
Weird Al Yankovic
Bernie Taupin
W.S. Gilbert
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Jay-z - dont flame me its jus my opinion
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Jay-z - dont flame me its jus my opinion

i was so bout too
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject:

koolruningz wrote:
No need to apologise.

I used to love H.E.R. is an all time great track. That whole album Ressurection is incredible.
Have you heard the track he did with Blackstar called Respiration?

Ill check that out, holla at cha later.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Lyricist of All time

postandpivot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
cr8zy0 wrote:

Why? because he's bigger then beat making. Most guys make beats. he produces. There's a difference. anytime other great producers give him credit, then dont you think you should also respect there opinions. The only person to really say something was Dupree. and sure Dupree is nice with the production. he also produces. but still. He aint no Dre. all of Da Brat's first album sounded like Dupree wishing he was Dre.

No em, no em, no D-12. no D-12 no Obie Trice say good bye to detroit in the mainstream.

No Warren G(even though Warren made his own stuff, you knew Warren because of his affiliation to snoop bringing him to Dre, etc,etc), also dre's lil brother

No Warren G, No Nate Dogg, No Snoop, No Dogg Pound(No Kurupt, No Daz's beats (no amerikaz most wanted beats, no gangsta party, etc)

If you take nate away, anyone who enlisted nate on a single. take them away also. because with nate on your first single. you were automatically going to sell.

NO Ice Cube, then No MAc 10, No W.C.(not commercially), NO west side connection.

If you take away NWA, you take away Gangsta rap pretty much. It wasn't a mainstream thing until NWA sold millions. therefore Say good bye to DJ Quik, McEiht, E-40, even Too Short(cussin on record wasn't excepted prior to NWA and Too Live Crew, they broke the Censorship barrier),

No Dre= NO WEST COAST.

why do you think if you've ever heard any interviews lately with snoop. He keeps beggin dre to get back deep in the game. so he can produce some of these up and comers, and cosigned them. so the west can start moving again. Now granted. its a shame that an entire coast, is at the mercy of one man. But its real. If Dre dont cosign it. It probably wont sell.

DR. DRe is King producer, he can turn your casio keyboard beat into a platinum selling hit. The guy is a beast on the mixing boards. he can turn your pretty good rapping homeboy into a household name. because he knows how to get the most out of his artist.

This is why he doesn't let any oh thing out. This is why you haven't heard anything from aftermath except for Game, anything before that was Eminem, before that, Snoop/deathrow era. No whole Albums from anyone else(oops truth hurts, that was a mistake and guess where truth is now? off the label). He's about making mega stars. somewhat like diddy.

i mean truth be told. why isn't Diddy in the runnings? its because most people dont know what Producing means. its more then making a beat(sample or no sample). you have to have the correct ear to choose the right sample for the moment, to get the most out of the artist, and get the most out of the audience when they hear it. Dre has been in the game so long he should've fell off years ago. But he's still around. and no matter the age, new artist are still beggin for a dre beat.

someone said J-dilla should be #1. come on stop lying like that. I know the guy is gone RIP Jdilla. but dont lie about it like that. Jdilla had some nice Beats. but was his production flawless like Dre's? No. was he better then premier? NO. not even close. shoot, Jdilla aint better then Hi-Tech. and Hi Tech aint up there.

I agree with you that DRE is da man, but you cant really say no dre = no west coast, putting it this way, no Naughty by Nature/Run DMC/LL Cool J = No Rap music, cuz they were the main inspirations for most rappers.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject:

2Pac Makaveli Tha Don!
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject:

^^^2pac is not a lyricist...he wasnt a wack emcee by any means but his lyrics arent all that ground breaking.

At least he was conscious artist.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Lyricist of All time

postandpivot wrote:

No Dre= NO WEST COAST.

Agree, agree and concur. Dre produced almost all of gangsta rap/ West Coast' Greatest Hits. Dozens and dozens of HITS from dozens of STARS, dozens of Platinum records, and he's done it for Decades.

Number 2, whoever he is, isn't even close.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject:

^But DRE is a producer, this thread is about Lyricists.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
^^^2pac is not a lyricist...he wasnt a wack emcee by any means but his lyrics arent all that ground breaking.

When did "Lyricist" mean "Groundbreaking"?
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Best Lyricist of All time

TACH wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
cr8zy0 wrote:

Well, since sampling IS a part of Hip Hop, you can't just attack Dre. Hell, if there wasn't Chic we wouldn't have had Rappers Delight. Rappers Delight is one HUGE sample of "Good Times" by Chic.
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:

reference the lyrics to "me and my girlfriend" . he's w/o a doubt the top lyracist. thats just one of many tracks using metaphores and other lyrical techniques. conscious he is indeed, but a lyracist as well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: