Unemployment Compensation HELP - About to get layed off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Unemployment Compensation HELP - About to get layed off

I was notified today at work that I would have 2 months of work before I would be sent packing.

So, I'm trying to think of a plan B, but a friend of mine told me about unemployment compensation (that it might be more than getting a part time job)...

Does anyone know anything about this? How much would I be getting and for how long? I live in Wash, DC, btw...

LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject:

If I were you I would start looking for another job. I got laid off once and got unemployment when I was in Idaho, I was still living with my parents and t wasn't enough. It probably will be more money than if you work a part time job, well depending on what you do. All I remember I onl got about 170 a week or something like that. BUt then again, I havent' been working very long at the time I recieved it.

If I were you I would look for a full-time job. Unless you only work part-time now.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Sorry dude, layoffs always suck.

Different states are all different, and I'm not sure what the deal is in DC. I think in California you are eligible to get about 80% of the salary you were getting when you were layed off, so that might give you an idea of DC even if it's not completely accurate. You're only given that for a certain amount of time and some states require you to provide regular proof that you are seeking gainful employment.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject:

If you haven't found another job by the time you get laid off, then definitely the first thing you should do as soon is go and file for unemployment. But drawing unemployment is not really easier than working and generally is more stressfull, unless you don't mind waiting in long lines to talk to someone who knows less than you do. You will have to provide proof that you are actively seeking work and that you haven't turned down any jobs offered to you, and depending on how long you've worked, you will usually have anywhere from six months to a year before the compensation runs out. And it's generally easier to find a new job while you still have a job than it is to wait and look for work once you've been laid off. So I'd recommend looking for work on your days off immediately. If you can find a new job to go to and quit your present job before you get laid off, so much the better.
ToughKarl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
If you haven't found another job by the time you get laid off, then definitely the first thing you should do as soon is go and file for unemployment. But drawing unemployment is not really easier than working and generally is more stressfull, unless you don't mind waiting in long lines to talk to someone who knows less than you do. You will have to provide proof that you are actively seeking work and that you haven't turned down any jobs offered to you, and depending on how long you've worked, you will usually have anywhere from six months to a year before the compensation runs out. And it's generally easier to find a new job while you still have a job than it is to wait and look for work once you've been laid off. So I'd recommend looking for work on your days off immediately. If you can find a new job to go to and quit your present job before you get laid off, so much the better.

Very true. It's a job to file for unemployment. I think it would be better
for you just to go out and find a part-time job and you get to keep your
pride in the process. Maybe you can work for the government, hey
they hired 999 so how hard can it be, right?
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject:

Sorry to hear about your layoff. I was laid off the week of last Thanksgiving and I just got a new job about a month ago. During the time, I tried to spend just my money because I thought that going to the unemployment office would be a living hell, but when my funds started to run low, I went and filed and it actually turned out to be a decent experience. As someone else said, it depends on what state you are in, regarding how much money you get. Here in Georgia, everybody gets about 200-300 a month. I know in other states you get an amount based upon your salary. I say that if you have some money put to the side, try to find the type of job that you really want, and don't just take any old thing that comes your way. Of course if you don't have anything put to the side, you should take whatever job you can. Also, if you aren't going to the gym now, start going. Working out keeps you mentally sharp and gives you a mental break from focusing on finding a job.

Good luck!
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Move to India and get your old job back
I Love L.A.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Move to India and get your old job back

lol, speaking from a ford employee i freaking know what you are talking about.
LaLakers999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject:

ToughKarl wrote:
JIFISH wrote:

Very true. It's a job to file for unemployment. I think it would be better
for you just to go out and find a part-time job and you get to keep your
pride in the process. Maybe you can work for the government, hey
they hired 999 so how hard can it be, right?

hey!! I have a college degree gawd dammit
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: