The best and worst trades in L.A. sports history?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: The best and worst trades in L.A. sports history?

Hey ya'll, what do you guy's think is the best and worst trades in L.A. sports history? I think the worst was trading Pedro Martinez for Delino Deshields, that was terrible. The Gail Goodrich for Magic, we really got over on that one is my choice for the best.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

Now, of course, the Martinez/DeShields trade look horrendous, but at the time, it did make a bit of sense. Jody Reed was the Dodgers 2nd baseman, and held out for more money than he deserved, and eventually signed with Milwaukee (for much less than he was asking from LA). DeShields was considered one of the best young infielders at the time, and the Dodgers had a surplus of pitching. Pedro played - effectively - one season and put up some pretty good numbers, but nobody envisioned what he would become. It was a trade that was made for a need for a middle infielder, and they accomplished that. No one could have predicted that DeShield's batting average would drop 45 points like it did in his first year here, and it went as low as .224 a couple of years later.

If they had to do it again, of course the Dodgers wouldn't pull the trigger on that trade, but at the time, they could justify it.

Conversely, Eric Gagne was very close to getting traded to Toronto (for what would become Cesar Izturis and Paul Quantrill) but Luke Prokopec went instead. Again, nobody knew at the time that Gagne would go from 'Going, Going Gagne', the starter to 'Game Over'. I remember the outrage that the Dodgers sent one of their best young pitchers for some shortstop nobody had heard of.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject:

Mike Piazza, Tod Ziele (and I forgot who else) for Gary Sheffield, Jim Eisenreich, Bobby Bonilla, and Devon White
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Mike Piazza, Tod Ziele (and I forgot who else) for Gary Sheffield, Jim Eisenreich, Bobby Bonilla, and Devon White

It was Piazza and Zeile to the Marlins for Bonilla, Charles Johnson, Sheff, Eisenreich and Manuel Barrios. Bonilla, Johnson & Sheff's first games were on 'photo' day, so we got a chance to talk to them. Sheff was stoked to be in LA (that's what he told us anyway), and Bobby Bo and CJ were amazed/confused by the whole thing. I remember Piazza, out in the players lot the day of the trade, wearing his Pittsburgh Penguins jersey, sitting there just absolutely stunned. We all knew it was coming, but still, the reality of it was bizarre. Piazza was my favorite Dodger - especially with what he did to the Giants on the last day of his rookie year - and it was a sad, sad say when he was traded. Still the coolest LA athlete I've ever, ever chatted with.

Remember too, that Piazza was traded, what a week later, to NY for Preston Wilson, the strikeout machine, and Ed Yarnell, who probably should have just continued his entertainment career with Shields.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:

Thats right! charles johnson. He only had 1 error as a catcher and of course once he came to the dodgers, he had an error every game.
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I hated the Eddie Jones for Glen Rice trade.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The best and worst trades in L.A. sports history?

Mr.Tricky wrote:
Hey ya'll, what do you guy's think is the best and worst trades in L.A. sports history? I think the worst was trading Pedro Martinez for Delino Deshields, that was terrible. The Gail Goodrich for Magic, we really got over on that one is my choice for the best.

Goodrich wasn't a trade. He left as a free agnet. At the time, teams received draft picks as compensation when that happened, and the Lakers lucked into the #1 pick.

Didn't the Angels make a big trade once for a guy who was already injured and never played for them? I don't follow baseball closely so I don't remember the details, but was the name Gruber or something like that?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Flight wrote:

i must concur.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:

How did the Kings get Wayne Gretzky? Was that a trade?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The best and worst trades in L.A. sports history?

LarryCoon wrote:

Didn't the Angels make a big trade once for a guy who was already injured and never played for them? I don't follow baseball closely so I don't remember the details, but was the name Gruber or something like that?

The Angels traded Luis Sojo for Kelly Gruber the year after Toronto won the World Series, but Gruber was already hurt his final year in Toronto, and was hitting only around .230. The Angels tried to rescind the trade, but to no avail. He played 3rd base, but for only about 1/3 of the season, and was released. Poor guy retired shortly thereafter.

Sojo, meanwhile, went on to win a World Series himself, with the Yankees. I believe he was about 57 years old at the time.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Flight wrote:

didn't that trade help us get shaq?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:

We already had Shaq.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

well, after watching the dodgers tonight id say trading Paul Lo Duca, Guillermo Mota for Brad "i blew game 1" Penny.
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
well, after watching the dodgers tonight id say trading Paul Lo Duca, Guillermo Mota for Brad "i blew game 1" Penny.
We got jacked on that deal!
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Trading Vlade for the rights to Kobe, which made space for Shaq has to rate up there.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:

1968-69: The Philadelphia 76ers trade Wilt Chamberlain to the Lakers fror Darrall Imhoff, Archie Clark, Jerry Chambers, and cash.

1975-76: The Milwaukee Bucks trade Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to the Lakers for Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, Junior Bridgeman and Dave Meyers.

Not too shabby...
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
How did the Kings get Wayne Gretzky? Was that a trade?

Yes, Wayne Gretzky was traded to the LA Kings on August 9, 1988 along with Marty McSorley, Mike Krushelnyski for $15 million, Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas and the Kings first round draft picks in 1989, 1991 and 1993 (which ended up being Jason Miller, Martin Rucinsky and Nick Stajduhar).

It was a huge deal, especially up here in Canada, where a lot of haters said Gretzky sold out to move to the US (and still do today) because of his new wife Janet Jones-Gretzky. But, without the Great One in LA I don't think there would be NHL franchises in Anaheim, San Jose, Florida, Tampa Bay, Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix, Nashville etc.

I say it was a great trade....the Kings got the greatest player to play the game and the NHL got US exposure and franchises in non-traditional hockey markets. The don't call him the Great One for nothing!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject:

^Don't they still hate Janet Jones till this day? She was a 'professional groupie" right along with Jeanie Buss back in the day.
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Mr.Tricky wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
We got jacked on that deal!

Not like we lost to Florida. That would have been worse. I think Lo Duca and Mota were going to be free agents anyway and we would not have been able to afford them.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Oh that Gretzky trade was amazing. I had relatives in Edmonton would be crying over that and I was estatic.

Not that I was a big Kings or hockey fan but that one trade made me interested in the NHL for 2-3 years in LA. It was aactually alot of fun to have two teams to root for in the early 90's. Once Magic got HIV, the Lakers championship aspirations left with. Less than 2 years after his announcement, the Kings went to the NHL Finals.

Actually went to some of the games.

BTW - I would say Divac for the draft rights to Kobe Bryant has to be right up there, no?

Worst - I can only say in regards to the Lakers. Nick Van Excel for Tony Battie who we later dealt somewhere else. That was a really bad trade. I don't care if Shaq wanted Nick gone, we should have gotten a PG back i n a NVE trade. That trade is one of the bigger reasons that the Lakers still have one of the worst disaparities in PG play.
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
BTW - I would say Divac for the draft rights to Kobe Bryant has to be right up there, no?

Yeah for sure.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Oh that Gretzky trade was amazing. I had relatives in Edmonton would be crying over that and I was estatic.

Not that I was a big Kings or hockey fan but that one trade made me interested in the NHL for 2-3 years in LA. It was aactually alot of fun to have two teams to root for in the early 90's. Once Magic got HIV, the Lakers championship aspirations left with. Less than 2 years after his announcement, the Kings went to the NHL Finals.

Actually went to some of the games.

Worst - I can only say in regards to the Lakers. Nick Van Excel for Tony Battie who we later dealt somewhere else. That was a really bad trade. I don't care if Shaq wanted Nick gone, we should have gotten a PG back i n a NVE trade. That trade is one of the bigger reasons that the Lakers still have one of the worst disaparities in PG play.

I think it was considered a brilliant move at the time because we got rid of one malcontent and got the rights to Tyronn Lue back. So we did get a PG, albeit not a great one, and he did help the Lakers out against Philadelphia in the Finals.
lakersdynasty999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Flight wrote:

i must concur.

we won a championship that year...but we also added phil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
^Don't they still hate Janet Jones till this day? She was a 'professional groupie" right along with Jeanie Buss back in the day.

I guess a few people still might hate Janet but I felt it was unfair to blame the trade on her. The Oilers' owner Peter Pocklington needed cash and then Kings owner Bruce McNall had the cash to pay and the desire to create hockey magic in Hollywood.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Wayne didn't want to leave, initially. He had just won his 4th championship in 5 years (I think) and was so happy being part of a dynasty there. However then Oilers owned needed money and actually considered a trade of his franchise player if the price was right.

In the 80's I would say 20 million is something like 100 million right now in terms of what you could buy with it. Atleast it is with real estate in some areas I know ....

So that was a ton of money.

In the end I don't think it was just Janet but she certainly must have made the transition easier for him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: