The Official Off-Topic Rap Thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: KRS-One Takes Temple of Hip-Hop On The Road

KRS-One and The Temple of Hiphop will embark on a tour of Florida during the I Am HipHop Preservation Tour, which will feature KRS-One offering what he dubs "edutainment," where he will educate and entertain crowds.

The pioneering South Bronx rapper will teach crowds the art of emceeing and will focus on the strength and mission of Hip-Hop music in the 21st century.

The I Am HipHop Preservation Tour will feature a concert at Revolution in Ft. Lauderdale featuring Method Man and Saigon, A B-Boy jam at the 21st Street Recreational Center in South Beach, a talent showcase, a lecture by KRS-One and a tribute concert and fundraiser for slain Run-DMC DJ Jam Master Jay.

KRS One founded the Temple of Hiphop in 2001, with the aim of inspiring fans of rap to raise their self-worth by utilizing Hip-Hop culture.

For more information log on: www.templeofhiphop.org.

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6218
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Michael Jackson Working With Will.i.am?

Once again, reports are surfacing that Michael Jackson is planning a comeback album with some of today’s hottest producers. Only time will tell if this latest story, which has the singer working with Black Eyed Peas member Will.I.Am, will actually pan out.

Jackson is said to be living in Ireland now following his near year-long exile in Bahrain.

Charles "Big Chuck" Stanton has said he is "ready to take over the world. He's got some hot records. Will.I.Am did one, Teddy Riley [did one]. We're giving Michael a lot of edgy street records. He's putting melodies to some hard party records."

Jackson's camp has yet to comment about the reports.

http://www.streethop.com/forum/article169295.html
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait too hear his new album!
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:

If you were a musician and you had the chance to work with today's Michael Jackson - would you? I mean, that dude is crazy. Best case scenario he's a bit "eccentric", worst case he's a dangerous petophile. Yeah, his past is legendary, but he hasn't put out a hit in years. Is it even worth it for a guy as hot as Will.I.AM to work with him?
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Get Serius: The Anatomy of a Sucka MC

Greetings readers and Hip-Hop fans, I go by the name of Serius Jones. Many of y’all know me from my classic battles and Serius music that’s saturating the streets. However, before I was introduced to the mic, the pif, the liquor, the women and all my extracurricular activities in the streets, I was a gifted wordsmith and writer. So when AllHipHop.com asked me to write this column I jumped at the opportunity.

As a youngster growing up in Englewood, New Jersey, before they started the restructuring in my hood the lines of class were clearly separated by the train tracks. Being that we mostly stayed in our section, I never had an understanding of how people on the other side of the tracks perceived our lifestyle.

The only perception I knew that existed for us was confirmed by petrified expressions, rolled up windows and doors locks clicking whenever they passed by. It wasn’t until I saw the response to this phenomenon that was so natural and second nature to us that we never even stopped to wonder its power and potential. Most of y’all know this universal power as Hip Hop. I must say this art form has went beyond the expectations of even those such as myself that have lived and breathed it from childhood. Hip-Hop was once reserved for those from the wrong side of the tracks. It was created by rebels left without a voice and a culture who needed an outlet to express ourselves to the world. Nowadays any person with internet access can simply type in AllHipHop.com on a keyboard and dive in into this culture at the click of a button.

Now for those that are just finding out about Hip-Hop through websites like AllHipHop.com and feeling like you discovered something new, you obviously have been under a boulder for the last 20 years and it is safe to say you are what we call WACK. For those of you that are continuing to read like okay get to the funny part, well I have an interesting topic that always entertains me. SUCKA EMCEES. Now this title has been used since the beginning of Hip Hop, but to this day some people still remain unclear as to exactly how to recognize or define a sucka emcee. Being that I am not only a TRUE emcee but also have a reputation for murdering sucka emcees, allow me to break it down so it shall forever be broken… You be the judge.

If you or anyone that you know fits the following descriptions then he or she is a Sucka emcee…

1. An overall corny, wack, or swaggerly challenged individual that has no presence, personality or business attempting to do anything other than lose their virginity. (Doesn’t have to rap either.)

2. Still has a name that begins with MC in 2006.

3. Steals bits and pieces of others styles, rhymes or overall swag and incorporates them into his own trying to upgrade his/her wackness. (Also known as “Biting”)

4. Fabricates fantasies of a criminal lifestyle and portrays a “tough guy” image in effort to gain “street credibility” and respect, when in reality the only laws they’ve broken regard Meagan’s or traffic violations.

5. Goes into a recording studio and tells a producer I want a song that sounds “just like such and such.” (FYI: The majority of the industry does this. See 3)

6. Raps in loud aggressive tones and seems tough on records when they have been documented victims of robberies on multiple occasions. (Anybody can get caught out there, but more than twice? Daaamn homie!!)

7. Sold drugs unsuccessfully and only began to get money after the record deal but still uses the cliché “Im not a rapper im a Hustla” to seem more gangsta and have an excuse to be less nice lyrically. (When did it become more cool to be a drug dealer than a multi-platinum rap star??)

8. Buys top notch fake ass jewelry because fans and media will automatically think its real. (Can you say monzenite?)

9. Appears on DVD’s brandishing firearms at a helpless camera lens while yelling threats to try and trick you into being scared of them. All in an attempt to take attention away from their garbage ass raps. (Refer to the average street DVD)

10. Rides around with 4 armed muscle head bodyguards in a bulletproof car, vest, hat, and pants but picks fights with pedestrians at crowded police infested industry parties. (Trust me I’ve seen it)

11. Sends cheap shots and challenges at other rappers and then turns around and apologizes the next day. (U already know! Haha)

12. Rehearses raps with his/her entourage and comes to rap battles with prepared chants, ad-lives, routines and choreographed moves looking and sounding like the Harlem Boys Choir. (Refer to Serius Jones Smack battle)

13. Any rapper who thinks they can f**k with Serius Jones…. (In 2005 Fight Klub 12 victims in a row. Don’t get it twisted!!)

Now that you have the official documentation on the characteristics of a SUCKA emcee, this is how you can identify a TRUE emcee.

A TRUE Emcee is……

1. A Mover of Crowds or Master of Ceremonies.

2. A rapper who surpasses the level of just “rapping” and applies artwork and next level skill to his craft. Also know as being “nice” (Refer to Serius Jones “King Me” street album.)

3. A trendsetter whose opinions, style and taste is so hot and original it influences others to want to live and act and even dress the same. (Example. Pac had dudes wearing leather vests and getting their nose pierced)

4. Creates his/her own lane, is comfortable being themselves and doesn’t need to explain themselves or try to duplicate or “Bite off” someone else to be accepted.

5. A musician that understand Hip-Hop and uses his/her voice as an instrument.

6. One who can study the game and be the voice that has been missing.

To sum this up, it’s a lot easier to be a sucka emcee than a TRUE emcee. If everyone could do it, they would. Unfortunately we are not all blessed in the same capacity. So if u ain’t got it STOP IT. Don’t be a victim of sucka emceeism. Stay true to yourself and keep it a 100. I’ll be back at y’all in a minute with some more REAL talk. Until next time….

Life is Serius..

-Serius Jones.

Gone.

http://www.allhiphop.com/editorial/
Good read. Heard this dude battled Jin. I'm trying to find the video of Serius Jones Vs. Jin battle.
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
If you were a musician and you had the chance to work with today's Michael Jackson - would you?

Hell yes! A couple of reasons i think why:

- he still got it
- he's been proven innocent (important)
- many haters & doubters out there so it's a big challenge for him
- MJ sells! The Invincible album "a so called flop" sold like 10 million albums worldwide...
- he's a legend

In 2000, MJ rejected Pharrell William's songs that he later gave to justin for justified...so i don't think the question is whether "they" wanna work with him, but if "he" wants to work with "them"...yes even today's "crazy" MJ.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
If you were a musician and you had the chance to work with today's Michael Jackson - would you? I mean, that dude is crazy. Best case scenario he's a bit "eccentric", worst case he's a dangerous petophile. Yeah, his past is legendary, but he hasn't put out a hit in years. Is it even worth it for a guy as hot as Will.I.AM to work with him?

if i had a chance to work with the greatest entertainer ever? the best dancer ever? yeah i'd do it.

michael is a legend and it's a shame what he's done to himself physically. its also a shame what the media does to him. his music is timeless and much of it is flawless.

you guys remember 'you rock my world' a couple years back? it came out in 2000 i believe. that song was amazing and it bumps hard. michael still has it, and will.i.am seems to be the 'it' producer of the moment.

whatever michael puts out i will buy (download illegally).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject:

dries wrote:
Socks wrote:
If you were a musician and you had the chance to work with today's Michael Jackson - would you?

Hell yes! A couple of reasons i think why:

- he still got it
- he's been proven innocent (important)
- many haters & doubters out there so it's a big challenge for him
- MJ sells! The Invincible album "a so called flop" sold like 10 million albums worldwide...
- he's a legend

In 2000, MJ rejected Pharrell William's songs that he later gave to justin for justified...so i don't think the question is whether "they" wanna work with him, but if "he" wants to work with "them"...yes even today's "crazy" MJ.

can you imagine if michael put out that justified album? instant classic.
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
can you imagine if michael put out that justified album? instant classic.

Owh yeah i agree, and bad choice kinda by MJ.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject:

My contribution:

I'm MC chef, don't be wack...to the beat y'all, i robbed a liquor store and bled on the slurpy machine....Kanye and Pharell had a boxing match to see who could produce my phat beats.....TO THE WESSSSSTSIDDDDDEEE!!!!! I be hustlin hustlin hustling, my Presidential rolley gleams like my 22" rims, yo, catch my movie in theatres now...my posse, they iz gansta..oh yeah, F**@* Will Smith...and serius jones iz wack...wiggy wiigy wack
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Cassidy Critically Injured In Car Accident

Philadelphia rapper Cassidy is in critical condition, after an accident last night (Oct. 4) in New Jersey injured him and four passengers.

Cassidy, born Barry Reese, suffered the most severe the injuries.

While details are sketchy, the rapper was reportedly leaving New Jersey for a recording studio, when a truck swerved into oncoming traffic and crashed into Cassidy's side of the SUV he was riding in.

"He was the only one that suffered critical injuries," a representative for Cassidy's label Sony/BMG told AllHipHop.com. "[He suffered] a fractured skull and broken bones on the left side of his face."

Four other passengers in the vehicle also suffered injuries, but the severity was not known at press time.

Cassidy is being held at an undisclosed hospital in the New York City area.

The rapper rose to fame with the release of his first solo single 2004's "Hotel," which featured R. Kelly. The single was taken from his debut Split Personality, which landed at No. 2 on Billboard's Top 200 upon its release in March of 2004.

In June of 2005, just as Cassidy was preparing his sophomore album I'm a Hustla, he was arrested and charged with the murder of a 22-year-old man Desmond Hawkins, after a shootout behind his Philadelphia row home in April.

During Cassidy's trial, a key prosecution witness recanted his statements about witnessing the rapper firing a gun and claimed police told him what to say.

In Jan. 2006, Cassidy was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and two counts of aggravated assault and possession of an instrument of crime.

Police said they found ammunition in Cassidy's house which matched shell casings recovered from the crime scene.

Cassidy was released from prison in March of 2006, after serving eight months behind bars. The rapper was working on his third album for Swizz Beatz' Full Surface label, which is distributed by J Records.

Shortly after his release, the rapper told AllHipHop.com that he had learned from his experiences over the past year and was on a much different course.

"I’m more patient, humble," Cassidy told AllHipHop.com in March 2006. "I’ve got a better relationship with God and my family. I know my real friends. I just learned so much from it. I was able to clear my mind up – not drink and smoke and party and not deal with the business every day. I was able to think – get my priorities together. I came to the conclusion of where I wanna go and the type of artist I wanna be."

Cassidy was recently featured on the Swizz Beatz' produced song "One Day," which was produced in conjunction with the International Peace Concert.

Cassidy was to perform the song with Jennifer Lopez, Marc Anthony, Chris Brown, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony and Lyfe Jennings during the International Peace Concert, which airs live from the Coliseum in Rome, Italy on December 9th.

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6226

Let's pray that Cassidy will be ok.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: The Official Off-Topic Rap Thread

Please keep your rap posts in here.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject:

Can this also be the Rap Shooting of the Week thread? Got to keep all these rap shootings in one place. Anyways, who was the last rapper to get shot?
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Access Hollywood: Michael Jackson Exclusive (back in studio with Will.i.am)

http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah2057.shtml

Billy's Blog: Michael Jackson Exclusive (October 15, 2006)

It's half past four in the morning and I'm making my way to Dublin with Ray. I have spent a fair amount of time in the back of Ray's car in the last 34 hours. He is the driver, henchman for Paddy who owns the recording studio in the middle of no man's land, Ireland. Not only is it a quaint studio built inside the grounds of an old stone classic Irish estate...it's the new creative home of Michael Jackson.

And yes, I just conducted the first interview with Michael Jackson since he left the United States in June 2005. First off, let me tell you what this interview is not:

It is not a bare all, rehashing of that period of his life. I was prepared to ask him all the questions in the world regarding mistakes made and lessons learned, but trust me, he was not. He asked if 5 minutes of rolling tape was ok in the studio while he "collaborated" with Will I AM from the Black Eyed Peas. Ultimately, We rolled for about 40 minutes and I did ask him questions about music and his thoughts for making a comeback.

Michael Jackson was nervous and antsy. He was truly torn. He wanted to stay and keep jamming and have some fun, but he also wanted to leave before, from his perspective, he got crucified by another TV interview.

Michael's publicist and advisor, Raymone Bain, informed us (me and my Executive Producer, Rob Silverstein) that Michael would like to meet us alone, no cameras, in his cottage first. We agreed of course and before long we were seated at a breakfast table in a very cozy, humble stone cottage. Down the spiral staircase he came. First his boots, then his pants...black with a gold stripe down the side, then a velvet jacket with a white t-shirt underneath, then he turned to face us. I admit, my pulse was running high. He is a mythical character as atypical and untouchable as can be.

First impression I had was that he looked healthy. Fit. As Paddy told us earlier, artists come to his estate for the whole experience - nature walks and horseback rides, organic, homegrown food, the indoor mineral spring pool....peace and tranquility. It has suited Michael well, although he does not live there.

We stood up, shook hands and began small talk about life...soon, Michael began to make clear what he did not want: an interview. He was just willing to let our cameras roll while he and Will listened to beats and opened the lid to a comeback. I said that we should just go in there and go until he didn't want to anymore. Pensively, he agreed and we started for the door and the 50 yard walk to the studio.

This interview is a baby step for Michael.

About ten minutes into the session, after I had rolled out several questions, Michael paused and tried to get out. He did not like receiving pointed questions and he encouraged Will to play more beats so we could just roll casually.

At the end of the day, we did a little more of both. At one point, I suggested Michael remake "Thriller" for a new generation...with CD/DVD and web components, essentially go with what's proven but update with the help of technically savvy producer, Will I Am.
Michael lit up. Amazingly that was something he hadn't considered.

When the music was rolling and he didn't have me asking him questions, one could see sparks of life and energy. He hummed a little and at one point got up and walked to the back of the room where he could move a little to the music....he was almost dancing.

Michael was there with his children. I never saw them but Paddy, the studio's owner, said they were having a ball, playing with his children and enjoying the exquisite countryside. According to Paddy, Michael gets up in the morning and makes breakfast for them...usually Porridge and fruit. I find myself hoping that Michael's life is as normal as possible. Of course, it isn't. Nobody knows anything about him...does he drive? Apparently, he does occasionally and he even had a cell phone before losing it a day later.

There....something normal to which people can RELATE.

Again, this was a first step for Michael. He was excited and terrified. It's all about feeling whether he can trust somebody or not. His track record is horrible on that front. Maybe it will improve in regards to us. I am quite sure there is more to come.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: