Lower than Low - Youth coach sentenced to prison in autistic player's beaning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Lower than Low - Youth coach sentenced to prison in autistic player's beaning

Quote:
Youth coach sentenced to prison in autistic player's beaning
Associated Press

UNIONTOWN, Pa. - A youth baseball coach convicted of offering an 8-year-old money to bean an autistic teammate so he couldn't play was sentenced Thursday to one to six years in prison.

Fayette County Judge Ralph Warman sentenced 29-year-old Mark R. Downs Jr. of Dunbar to consecutive six-to-36-month sentences for corruption of minors and criminal solicitation to commit simple assault.

Warman revoked Downs' bond and sent him to prison.

Authorities said Downs offered to pay one of his players $25 to hit Harry Bowers, a mildly autistic teammate, with a ball while warming up before a June 2005 playoff game. Prosecutors said Downs wanted Bowers, 9, out of the game because the boy didn't play as well as his teammates.

Player Keith Reese Jr. said he purposely threw a ball that hit Bowers in the groin, and another that hit Bowers in the ear, on Downs' instructions. Downs denied offering to pay Reese to hurt Bowers.

A jury convicted Downs in September.

"These acts are extremely outrageous and extremely reprehensible since the defendant was involved in the coaching of a youth league," Warman said.

Downs didn't speak at sentencing, but told reporters "I didn't do nothing" as he was led out of the courtroom.

His attorney, Thomas Shaffer, said Downs was upset and looked forward to appealing the verdict.

The victim's mother, Jennifer Bowers, said Thursday that since her son was hit, she has struggled to get him to try new activities. She said the boy fears that he would get hurt again.

Downs was acquitted on a more serious charge of criminal solicitation to commit aggravated assault. Jurors deadlocked on a charge of reckless endangerment. The judge declared a mistrial on the endangerment charge and prosecutors said they wouldn't retry him.

Downs was ordered Thursday to undergo a mental health evaluation and barred from coaching any youth league sport while on parole.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

What a (bleep)' (bleep).

Too bad he can't go to prison for life.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Flight wrote:
What a (bleep)' (bleep).

Too bad he can't go to prison for life.

or at the very least, be sent to a prison where his ass will be kicked when the other inmates learn what he is in for.

"Excuse me, you did what? You asked a kid to take out an autistic kid so he wouldn't play anymore? You wanna feel what having balls thrown at you is really like? Oh no, these aren't baseballs or softballs, but you will learn to like them."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I have two Autistic boys, if this happended to my kids I would choke out the coward and his whole family!!!!!!!!He is a scumbag and coward, I hope he gets raped in there, that piece of trash. Hearing this boils my blood.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

I dunno though - while it was obviously a disgusting act, does the dude really deserve 1 - 6 years in prison for this? It's not like he's a murderer, a rapist or a drug dealer. And it's not like he threw the actual balls that hit the kid. Fine the hell outta him and be done with it, don't make the tax payers house and feed this dude and ruin his life for something this stupid.
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
I dunno though - while it was obviously a disgusting act, does the dude really deserve 1 - 6 years in prison for this? It's not like he's a murderer, a rapist or a drug dealer. And it's not like he threw the actual balls that hit the kid. Fine the hell outta him and be done with it, don't make the tax payers house and feed this dude and ruin his life for something this stupid.
It may be stupid to you, but that is a sick wrong act, and the punks life needs to ruined.
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:

Yeah he didn't actually throw the ball, but it was his intentions that did him in. Corrupting the mind of an 8 year old and wishing physical harm on an autistic kid so that HE CAN'T PLAY A GAME!? That is absolutely wrong. The guy is sick in the head and I hope he gets his.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Mr.Tricky wrote:
Socks wrote:
It may be stupid to you, but that is a sick wrong act, and the punks life needs to ruined.
I understand what Socks is saying... there are murderers and rapists that don't get six years.

What the coach did was wrong, and he should serve whatever time/punishment that he is given... but six years... that's seems like a lot when compared to other crimes.

For example:

The criminal recklessness charge carries a prison term of six months to three years.

"Firing the shots in the air at that point is criminal recklessness," said Brizzi, adding it is too early to discuss a plea bargain. "Those bullets, once they come up, have to come down, and they come down at least 90 mph, and they do absolutely have the ability to take someone's life."

Jackson might also face up to three months in jail in Michigan if a judge there determines he violated probation.Oakland County prosecutor David Gorcyca said after Jackson was charged in Indiana, a violation of probation was filed against him.

Last edited by TACH on Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Mr.Tricky wrote:
Socks wrote:

I don't mean stupid in that way - I mean it's obviously a stupid and horrible thing he did, but there are a lot of big bad crimes out there that aren't punished nearly as severely. I don't mean to say this isn't a bad thing, but possibly 6 years??? That seems crazy compared to what some homicidal maniacs get out there. When it comes to picking between evils, I'd rather save the prison room and costs for someone who has taken a life or something along those lines. Fine this guy a ton of cash and make him go to some sort of counseling. If he happens to get his ass beat by someone along the way, I've got no problems.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Mr.Tricky wrote:
Socks wrote:

I don't mean stupid in that way - I mean it's obviously a stupid and horrible thing he did, but there are a lot of big bad crimes out there that aren't punished nearly as severely. I don't mean to say this isn't a bad thing, but possibly 6 years??? That seems crazy compared to what some homicidal maniacs get out there. When it comes to picking between evils, I'd rather save the prison room and costs for someone who has taken a life or something along those lines. Fine this guy a ton of cash and make him go to some sort of counseling. If he happens to get his ass beat by someone along the way, I've got no problems.

I hear what you're saying Socks, but I'm inclined to respectfully disagree.

I'm a lawyer, and I have a mildly autistic son in kindergarten. I say "mildly" not to belittle others with autism or to make light of his condition; he has Asperger's Syndrome, which falls within the spectrum of autism but does not exhibit all of the various symptoms of "traditional" autism.

That being said, it is already difficult for my wife and me to have him treated with consistent respect and consideration for him by his new teachers. Despite showing high academic skills and abilities, we are finding that some in the educational system want to downplay the clinical difficulties he has, or try to separate him from other students when it's only in some areas that he needs help. Things like processing 2 and 3-step directions, or being able to withstand loud, high-pitched noises (e.g. alarm bells), or look at a person's face during conversations.

If this 'coach' tried to do this to my son, I would do everything within the law that I could to ruin his freaking life. Lawsuits, public announcements of his despicable actions, registering him on child abuser lists, you name it.

I don't need charity for my son. I don't need pity. All I ask -- all I DEMAND -- is that he is given the education and services and protection to which he is entitled under the law, and that he is treated with a reasonable level of courtesy, respect, and compassion. I would ask that for my non-autistic daughter, or for ANY child in this world.

This 'person' offered to bribe one child to physically harm another child, one who would likely have difficulty processing, perceiving, or coping with what was being done to him.

If I saw this guy actively trying to do this to my child, I would want to step on his throat until his brain was deprived of oxygen just to the extent that he would exprience the same cognitive difficulties that my son did not ask for, but must learn to overcome.

I would want to, but I am fairly certain I wouldn't.

The guy in Pa. could get out in 1 year. Fine.

He could get out in 6 years. Fine.

But the bastard's going to jail. And I may just send the judge and jury some thank you notes.

MIM
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Obviously this guy has no balls. Why couldn't he just not play the autistic kid in the game? Or just play him, whats the big deal?
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject:

galtarafalcon824 wrote:
Obviously this guy has no balls. Why couldn't he just not play the autistic kid in the game? Or just play him, whats the big deal?

he wants to win?

scummy move, dunno if it deserves 6 years in Prison though.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject:

this is horrible that some little kid was targeted by their coach. I hope the boy learns that not all people are like that guy and he doesn't stop trying new things.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:

i gotta agree with socks on this one. he should have to do a ton of community service but 6 years in prison?? that's a little excessive.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
If this 'coach' tried to do this to my son, I would do everything within the law that I could to ruin his freaking life. Lawsuits, public announcements of his despicable actions, registering him on child abuser lists, you name it.

Quote:

If I saw this guy actively trying to do this to my child, I would want to step on his throat until his brain was deprived of oxygen just to the extent that he would exprience the same cognitive difficulties that my son did not ask for, but must learn to overcome.

Quote:

But the bastard's going to jail. And I may just send the judge and jury some thank you notes.

Ditto.

Maybe you can shed some light, on why he would be acquitted of criminal solicitation to commit aggravated assault?
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject:

I used to teach at an elementary school a few years back and for five years I worked exclusively with autistic children. Some of the best, most rewarding years of my life. This boy is 8 years old!!! Is the game REALLY that important that you'd sacrifice the safety and well-being (both physically and emotionally) of a young child? Completely despicable... the fact that said child has autism only adds fuel to the fire.

"I didn't do nothing". That's right moron.... you DIDN'T do nothing... you did SOMETHING, something ignorant and inexcusable and I hope you get yours in the end. Pun intended.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject:

We're too soft on crime... We let too many things get out of hand. We let gangs take over our streets... We have to tighten things up... Make things safe, for the common, hard-working people.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Mr.Tricky wrote:
Socks wrote:

Yea , well put, my thoughts exactley really, jus didnt know how too stat it like you did. But the justice system is a joke, let them do what they want.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: