Didn't Take Fox Long to Ax Lyons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Didn't Take Fox Long to Ax Lyons

Quote:
In the second inning of Friday's game between Detroit and Oakland, Piniella talked about the success light-hitting A's infielder Marco Scutaro had in the first round of the playoffs. Piniella said that slugger Frank Thomas and Eric Chavez needed to contribute, comparing Scutaro's production to finding a "wallet on Friday" and hoping it happened again the next week.

Later, Piniella said the A's needed Thomas to get "en fuego" — hot in Spanish — because he was currently "frio" — or cold. After Brennaman praised Piniella for being bilingual, Lyons spoke up.

Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" — butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" — and added, "I still can't find my wallet."

"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.

FOX executives told Lyons after the game he had been fired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:

The comments are just wierd. I didn't hear it so maybe it's just out of context for me. They just seem like they're outta nowhere.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
The comments are just wierd. I didn't hear it so maybe it's just out of context for me. They just seem like they're outta nowhere.
I heard a replay of the audio... Lou was laughing (more like laughing it off). What was he thinking? Good job Fox.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

Were those statements insensitive? Perhaps. I didn't hear the commentary so I might be taking it out of context.

But the "hablaing" is not bad. It's as if he is making fun of Pinniela for butchering the Spanish language.

The "I don't want to sit too close to him now" comment could be taken as Pinniela is a weird guy, and frankly, I think Pinniela is a weird guy, and I would sit away from him.

The "wallet" comment from Lyons is uncalled for. If he is referring to Pinniela's use of the wallet metaphor earlier, then so be it. But because he is speaking Spanish makes him sketchy or dangerous, yes, that deserves some sort of reprimand.

Does it deserve a firing? I don't know. Like I said, I did not hear the actual commentary, so I don't know the context. He *COULD* have meant it the way I describe above, but I am just giving someone the benefit of the doubt.
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:

TACH, you got a link for this? I'm trying to get a sense of what context these weird comments are spoken.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

Flight wrote:
TACH, you got a link for this? I'm trying to get a sense of what context these weird comments are spoken.
I can't find it.... if I come across it, I will post it.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject:

He probably wouldn't have been fired if it were the first incident, but Lyons has had problems before with a loose tongue. Like the other night when him and Brennaman were clowning a dude who had a contraption on his face at the game when it turns out the guy actually was almost 100% blind and he was using it to see the game. Or when he said Yankees' catcher Sal Fasano is the type of person who "knows a guy that knows a guy", seeimingly because Fasano is Italian. Or when he gave Shawn Green crap for taking the day off for Yom Kippur, implying that he's not a real Jew because he's not practicing, didn't marry a Jewish girl, and didn't have a bar mitzvah. Adding that it was unfortunate since he "didn't get the money".

Bottom line, it's no big loss. Lyons isn't very good at what he does. He's the 3rd worst color guy on national TV just ahead of Joe Morgan and Tim McCarver.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
He probably wouldn't have been fired if it were the first incident, but Lyons has had problems before with a loose tongue. Like the other night when him and Brennaman were clowning a dude who had a contraption on his face at the game when it turns out the guy actually was almost 100% blind and he was using it to see the game. Or when he said Yankees' catcher Sal Fasano is the type of person who "knows a guy that knows a guy", seeimingly because Fasano is Italian. Or when he gave Shawn Green crap for taking the day off for Yom Kippur, implying that he's not a real Jew because he's not practicing, didn't marry a Jewish girl, and didn't have a bar mitzvah. Adding that it was unfortunate since he "didn't get the money".

Bottom line, it's no big loss. Lyons isn't very good at what he does. He's the 3rd worst color guy on national TV just ahead of Joe Morgan and Tim McCarver.

Ah, well hearing this now makes me care less about Lyons. Good riddance.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Fox Report on Lyons
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Eh....the softening of America....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: