GMAT - Should pay for a prep course or just take the exam?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Prep course? Take the exam?
Prep course
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Just take the exam
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: GMAT - Should pay for a prep course or just take the exam?

What should I do? I am going to b-school, and I want to be competitive...
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject:

I didn't take a prep course, but I bought a couple study guides and went through them religiously. I also used the CD-ROM's and practiced the tests. Absorbing all the tricks and tips and practicing tests is the key. Be the anti-Iverson and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

As far as a class, I imagine it comes down to recognizing your own learning/study habits. What you're paying for is the structure. They're giving you a structured, paced study environment. The rest you can get out of guides. So if you're someone who needs that to be successful (and I'm not denegrating that at all), then by all means take it. It's best to recognize you're not good at that and address it through a class. If you are fairly good at pacing yourself, you can definitely get by without.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject:

It depends on your level of confidence and the time you have. If you tend to be anxious, it might help you to be more relaxed for the actual exam if you go to the library and check out a practice exam. You can structure your own practice exam.
Kdawg8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Agree with socks, I just recently finished taking the exam, I just studied on my own with the Princeton, Kaplan and GMAC guides. I did fine on my own after one intense month of studying I got a 680. A couple of my other friends did the same way and got 750 and 770. While a different friend took a prep course and ended up with 690 so it just depends on how you are able to do on your own.
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Good luck. I was able to get into b school by taking the MAT (Miller's Analogies Test).
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:

I say buy the book; take the practice test; then, if you are struggling, sign up for a course!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject:

If you can afford it, why not take the course?
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Thanks! Sorry I haven't responded...I've been in Boston this past week...but the advice given are noted!

Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:

I took the GRE -- which is supposedly easier than the GMAT. The 1st time I took the exam, I studied stuff that I bought. The 2nd time I used the GRE "Power Prep" CD that came in the mail and enrolled in a prep course at San Diego State. (Hint, experts teach different subject matter that is on the exam -- it works if you put forth an effort which it seems like you will). I don't know if the GMAT does the same thing, but it (the CD) was just like the exam. So like Socks said, I just practiced my butt off until I blew it out of the water and received the score I needed for grad school. Glad that ish is all over now!

I would email the people who write the exam (ETS wrote the GRE for example). They should give you the best advice of what study guides to use. Good luck!!!
fiddle8
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:

I just bought a couple of the study guides and read them the day before. I thought the test was easy....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: