Hacker claims to have cracked iPod restrictions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Hacker claims to have cracked iPod restrictions

LINK - Hacker claims to have cracked iPod restrictions

Quote:
A hacker known for cracking the copy-protection technology in DVDs claims to have unlocked the playback restrictions of Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod and iTunes music products and plans to license his code to others.

The move by Jon Lech Johansen, also known as "DVD Jon," could pit the 22-year-old against Apple's lawyers, experts say, but if successful could free users from some restrictions Apple and its rivals place on digital music.

It's about time... what took so long!!!

Last edited by TACH on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject:

I don't use an iPod. What restrictions are you talking about? The only one I really know (and some MP3s allow this) is that once you upload files to the iPod, you can't then download it to another computer. Or is there something else here at play?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
I don't use an iPod. What restrictions are you talking about? The only one I really know (and some MP3s allow this) is that once you upload files to the iPod, you can't then download it to another computer. Or is there something else here at play?
Any music bought from iTunes can only be played on an 'authorized computer (up to 5, use to be 7 a year or so ago)' and/or iPod (no other mp3 player can play a itunes purchased song unless you go through the burn-to-CD-re-import-the-CD-into- iTunes process). Also, any music bought via iTunes can not be used in Garage Band.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
encina1 wrote:
Any music bought from iTunes can only be played on an 'authorized computer (up to 5, use to be 7 a year or so ago)' and/or iPod (no other mp3 player can play a itunes purchased song unless you go through the burn-to-CD-re-import-the-CD-into- iTunes process). Also, any music bought via iTunes can not be used in Garage Band.

This make me wonder why
a) people buy iPods in the first place (had the first generation, loved it but found better alternatives as time passed)

b) pepole buy music from iTunes (DRM, can't go from iPod to computer without hassle, etc)

c) people DON'T buy those alternatives- iriver clix, sansa series, Cowon mp3 players, etc.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject:

This make me wonder why
a) people buy iPods in the first place (had the first generation, loved it but found better alternatives as time passed)

b) pepole buy music from iTunes (DRM, can't go from iPod to computer without hassle, etc)

c) people DON'T buy those alternatives- iriver clix, sansa series, Cowon mp3 players, etc.[/quote]

Not true any more.... if your iPod has purchased iTunes music on it that's not on one of your 5 authorized computers and you connect your iPod to one of those 5 authorized computers, you will be prompted/asked if you want those tracks moved from the iPod to the computer.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
This make me wonder why

c) people DON'T buy those alternatives- iriver clix, sansa series, Cowon mp3 players, etc.

Not true any more.... if your iPod has purchased iTunes music on it that's not on one of your 5 authorized computers and you connect your iPod to one of those 5 authorized computers, you will be prompted/asked if you want those tracks moved from the iPod to the computer.[/quote]

What do you mean it's not true?
You can't play those songs on other mp3 players right?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
This make me wonder why

TACH wrote:
Not true any more.... if your iPod has purchased iTunes music on it that's not on one of your 5 authorized computers and you connect your iPod to one of those 5 authorized computers, you will be prompted/asked if you want those tracks moved from the iPod to the computer.

shnjb wrote:

I was referring to point B you made...

Also, that's the whole point of this thread... a hacker says with his application, you can play iTunes purchased music on mp3 players other than an iPod.

Last edited by TACH on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:00 am; edited 2 times in total
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
shnjb wrote:
TACH wrote:
This make me wonder why

I was referring to point B you made...

Also, that's the whole point of this thread... a hacker says with his application, you can play iTunes purchased music on mp3 players other than an iPod.[/quote]

What a hacker can do, the average iPod owner cannot do.
Also, doing that would be subject to legal proceedings right?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
It's an application,... and I would say it depends on the UI...

Not sure about the legal issues, it's still up in the air... Did you read the article?

Quote:
The move by Jon Lech Johansen, also known as "DVD Jon," could pit the 22-year-old against Apple's lawyers, experts say, but if successful could free users from some restrictions Apple and its rivals place on digital music.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject:

Yeah, the iPod might be the most overhyped electronics product in decades. It's become a social icon. A fashion accessory. I've been using my Creative mp3 player for years. So much easier to just drag and drop your files. I sold off my iPods on Ebay (I had 2). Not knocking iPod buyers, because personally I think they just don't know any better. iPod has become synonymous with mp3 player.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Quote:
It's an application,... and I would say it depends on the UI...

Not sure about the legal issues, it's still up in the air... Did you read the article?

Quote:

That is exactly why I'd rather do without an iPod.
You buy an ipod, download itunes, without which you cannot load songs onto your ipod, then you buy songs, which are locked on to either ipods or 5 computers or whatever (not really yours) and then someone comes along with a proprietary and possibly illegal program...
ONLY THEN you have the possibility to own your songs.

Why not do away with all that ludicrous necessity and get drm-free music onto a DAP that you can manage without all these programs??
You know, simples ones that you can just drag and drop songs onto... like Cowons.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject:

Excluding eMusic (which has a limited library of songs, IMO), what other service doesn't have similar restrictions and is not subscription based? MSFT is going to run into the same issues. DRMs are mostly RIAA driven... Apple, like others are forced to use them.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject:

If anyone thinks some form of DRM is not going to be the prevalent security mechanism around content like music and video in the future, you're sadly mistaken.

I agree, there are better MP3 players out there, and sure, you can take advantage of the lack of DRM with them right now. But eventually, they will be in the same situation - forced to use some form of DRM to protect content owned by record labels or movie studios.

Apple iTunes is actually ahead of the curve here and is less intrusive than a lot of other ways they could've gone about doing this. We should hope other music downloading services get it as right as Apple has when they go down this road.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:

well, we're living in the present moment, not future, right?

Lack of DRM with other DAPs and PMPs- enough reason for me to never consider buying an iPod.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:

Lack of DRM with other DAPs and PMPs- enough reason for me to never consider buying an iPod.
Are you buying your music at store? Or downloading illegally? Right now, IMO, the best 'legal' option is iTunes; and if you are using iTunes... The iTunes software in conjuction with a iPod is good (good enough for MSFT to copy).

Last edited by TACH on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Are you buying your music at store? Or downloading illegally? Right now, IMO, the best 'legal' option there is iTunes.

Personally I don't really listen to music.
I listen to physiology, mcat, physics audiobooks when I'm in my car...
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject:

Which, of course, aren't available on iTunes... at least I don't think.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
Which, of course, aren't available on iTunes... at least I don't think.
I'm sure in the audiobook section, you can find what are looking for...
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:

I love itunes. don't know what i'd do w/ out it.
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

So people are actually paying for music again?
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
If anyone thinks some form of DRM is not going to be the prevalent security mechanism around content like music and video in the future, you're sadly mistaken.

And every form of DRM that's implemented will eventually be cracked and bypassed.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:

I have itunes at the house. still dont have an ipod, and dont really want one. I've been buying music off of napster. Why? because they have what I'm looking for, First. not always, but most of the time.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
TACH wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Are you buying your music at store? Or downloading illegally? Right now, IMO, the best 'legal' option there is iTunes.

dude seriously what's wrong with you?
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
shnjb wrote:
TACH wrote:
shnjb wrote:

I seriously want to get into med school I guess.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
Ted wrote:
shnjb wrote:
TACH wrote:
shnjb wrote:

I seriously want to get into med school I guess.

seriously?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: