SlingBox & Smartphone... NEED Advice...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: SlingBox & Smartphone... NEED Advice...

I just recently bought a slingbox and I've had my Treo 650 for awhile now. Sling still has not released a mobile player for the palm platform and since I'm up for renewal I was thinking this is a good time to upgrade my phone.

Two phones I'm considering are Treo 700wx on sprint & T-Mobile Dash. Any opinions? How about any experience on EDGE vs EVDO? I've been a long time sprint customer so curious to hear about T-Mobile Voice network.

I appreciate any input.....
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

EVDO > EDGE

EVDO is way faster. I did a side by side against my brother's MDA on Tmobile versus my PPC6700. Same phone, but I had EVDO.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject:

I've had the VX6600 and the Motorola Q and they blow any other carriers service out of the water on internet speed. It's rare when I get a speed below 500kbps on a speed test. EVDO hands down in the speed category. I stream video and music using orb.com and it's money.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely stay away from anything without Wi-Fi.

You've got Wi-Fi at home/school/work don't you?
Why not use it?
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject:

I work for Sprint and we invested alot of money in the EVDO equipment...You gotta go with Sprint.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Edge is nothing close to EVDO... I'm not even sure if EDGE has the bandwidth or latency to support streaming video (even highly compressed streaming video).

Cellular Broadband
Fast enough for Video = EVDO, UMTS, HSDPA, WiFi
Not fast enough for Video = EDGE, WiDen, iDen (are fast enough for basic web browsing and texting)

Carriers
Verizon = EVDO
Sprint = EVDO (and EVDO rev A in San Diego)
Alltell = EVDO (Verizon's network, I think)
Amp'd = EVDO (Verizon's network) but currently no Smartphones (Moto Q pending)
Helio = EVDO (Sprint's network) but no Smartphones

Cingular = GSM/EDGE + UMTS + HSDPA (UMTS/HSDPA not in all areas. increased coverage in 2007)
T-Mobile = GSM/EDGE + WiFi (at TMobile hotspots (Starbucks) with UMTS rolling out in 2007))

Boost Mobile = iDEN + WiDEN (in some areas)
Virgin Mobile = No 2.5G or 3G data services available (I think).

**Note that WiFi is built into many Smartphones and some standard phones to be used at any Wifi hotspot or at a home wireless network. Wifi can also be added to some phones via Flash memory card, or USB.
iam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:

I'm currently w/ Sprint and though I have absolutely no problem with their service and also realized that they have the cheapest data plan (only $15 compared to $30/TMobile, $40 Verizon), here's my beef with them:

- the worst customer service. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten screwed on my bill, talked to the rep, promised they would enter a note in the system & credit my account and yet I'll call back in a week and they have no record of it.

- worst phone selection compared to Verizon, TMobile & Cingular.

The 700wx is nice but I've been reading a lot about the SMS bugs in Sprint Network. Can't SMS to outside the network.

By the way, TMobile DASH is the best smartphone out there. It's slimmer than the Q and has built in WIFI. Went to a Sprint store yesterday and they have no clue when they will offer a new smartphone.

Cingular offers the 3125, Treo 680 & 750. They're also coming out w/ samsung i607 but too bad they're on the EDGE network.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

I disagree about Dash.

Dash comes with the crippled version of Windows mobile, which doesn't come with the ability to edit office files.

The 8525 (MDA's replacement) will be the best for sure, although it will be very very expensive
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Really don't know many people that need rudimentary MS Office file editing functions. Beyond that, Dash doesn't have too many drawbacks. For $200 it's a better buy than a Motorola Q. Still, the Q does have faster data when you're not at a Wifi hotspot. It all depends on what you need the device for.

If you want the heaviest hitting Smartphones then you'd need to look at either the Cingular 8525 (reportedly $499 with a 2 year contract), the HP-iPAQ HW6925 (est $399 with a 2 year contract, on Cingular's network) or the Sprint IP-830w ($599 with 2 year contract). Remember that the 8525 is on Cingular's GSM/EDGE network, unless you live in an area that has rolled out Cingluars's 3G UMTS network OR are at a Wifi hotspot. The Sprint IP-830W will have EVDO service everywhere. Both the 8525 and the HP-iPAQ HW6925.

Finally also note that Verizon, and T-Mobile will be rolling out newer Windows smartphones over the holidays, so if don't absolutely need the phone now, then you'll get a slightly better selection in the next 2 months.

OR

You could buy an imported Unlocked smartphone and swap SIM cards to get more selection, but if you do this, you'll be limited to service on T-Mobile or Cingular only.

Sources
www.howardforums.com
www.gsmarena.com
www.phonescoop.com
www.phonearena.com
iam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Money$hot! wrote:
Really don't know many people that need rudimentary MS Office file editing functions. Beyond that, Dash doesn't have too many drawbacks.

Couldn't agree more. Plus if you really need to edit documents, assuming you're on EVDO, some smartphones comes w/ Windows Terminal so you can edit the files directly on your PC.

Money$hot! wrote:
Finally also note that Verizon, and T-Mobile will be rolling out newer Windows smartphones over the holidays, so if don't absolutely need the phone now, then you'll get a slightly better selection in the next 2 months.

Do you know what Sprint is coming out with over the holidays?

Mr.Tricky wrote:
I work for Sprint and we invested alot of money in the EVDO equipment...You gotta go with Sprint.

Hey Tricky, I figured since you work there, and inside info as to what new smartphones they're gonna come out with? As for the data plan, really there's nothing out there that can compare w/ Sprint in terms of value/cost. It's just suck that they are always the last to come out w/ smartphones.
iam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
Dash comes with the crippled version of Windows mobile...

One thing I noticed while playing around with it is that the system was really sluggish. Whenever you select anything, the system is slow to response. Then I tried to run the "Video Recorder" app and it told me that it's lacking memory to run the application. For the money, Palm OS is still the fastest, too bad they don't make Sling Mobile Player for the Palm OS.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject:

iam wrote:

Sprint just released the Samsung IP-830W, this is their killer Windows Smartphone for the remainder season (as far as I know). This thing is a beast. It only seems to lack WiFi, but once again, you may be able to add it via a WiFi flash card.

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5626.html
http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/n/7122.html

Not sure if Sprint is going to get the Treo 750 or any more smartphones. Just a few more fashion, feature, and entry level phones.
Mr.Tricky
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject:

iam wrote:
Money$hot! wrote:
Really don't know many people that need rudimentary MS Office file editing functions. Beyond that, Dash doesn't have too many drawbacks.

Couldn't agree more. Plus if you really need to edit documents, assuming you're on EVDO, some smartphones comes w/ Windows Terminal so you can edit the files directly on your PC.

Money$hot! wrote:

From what I hear we are really beefing up our network for 4G, it is going to a phone and two-way, but two way will have awsome service being that it will run on the same circuits as a regular wireless call. There will no other two way with as much coverage a our 4G. We bought Nextel for their patenets(2-ways,4G) the only hold up is implementing nextels cell sites to our network.

Mr.Tricky wrote:

Hey Tricky, I figured since you work there, and inside info as to what new smartphones they're gonna come out with? As for the data plan, really there's nothing out there that can compare w/ Sprint in terms of value/cost. It's just suck that they are always the last to come out w/ smartphones.
From what I hear we are really beefing up our network for 4G, it is going to a phone and two-way, but two way will have awsome service being that it will run on the same circuits as a regular wireless call. There will no other two way with as much coverage a our 4G. We bought Nextel for their patenets(2-ways,4G) the only hold up is implementing nextels cell sites to our network.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Money$hot! wrote:
Really don't know many people that need rudimentary MS Office file editing functions. Beyond that, Dash doesn't have too many drawbacks. For $200 it's a better buy than a Motorola Q. Still, the Q does have faster data when you're not at a Wifi hotspot. It all depends on what you need the device for.

If you want the heaviest hitting Smartphones then you'd need to look at either the Cingular 8525 (reportedly $499 with a 2 year contract), the HP-iPAQ HW6925 (est $399 with a 2 year contract, on Cingular's network) or the Sprint IP-830w ($599 with 2 year contract). Remember that the 8525 is on Cingular's GSM/EDGE network, unless you live in an area that has rolled out Cingluars's 3G UMTS network OR are at a Wifi hotspot. The Sprint IP-830W will have EVDO service everywhere. Both the 8525 and the HP-iPAQ HW6925.

OR

You could buy an imported Unlocked smartphone and swap SIM cards to get more selection, but if you do this, you'll be limited to service on T-Mobile or Cingular only.

Sources
www.howardforums.com
www.gsmarena.com
www.phonescoop.com
www.phonearena.com

Well the crippled OS is not compatible with many programs that require the use of the stylus, many of which are beneficial to students.
Also the ability to edit documents on the fly is good to have for students as well.

Of course if you go with something like the 8525 or the 8515, you have to deal with the added bulk, which I am okay with but others might not be.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:

If you need your phone to act as a laptop just get a pocket pc and be done.

I've had phones with WIFI and it chews through the battery like crazy. Not to mention you have to find a hot spot to use it. I like the unlimited data with Verizon, I can be just about anywhere and stream video.
iam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

buduan wrote:

I've had phones with WIFI and it chews through the battery like crazy. Not to mention you have to find a hot spot to use it. I like the unlimited data with Verizon, I can be just about anywhere and stream video.

What phone do you have & what do you use to stream? How much do you pay for your data plan w/ Verizon?
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject:

iam wrote:
buduan wrote:

What phone do you have & what do you use to stream? How much do you pay for your data plan w/ Verizon?

I have the Motorola Q and the Audiovox VX6600 and pay $39.00 a month for the unlimited data service.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:

And I use Orb.com to stream music, video, and Sirius. It's a free service, you should check it out. All you need is a USB TV tuner to hook up to a internet connected computer in your house. The Slingbox works great also, last time I checked they were a bit pricey though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: