So did anybody get Gears of WAR?????
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PWiddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: So did anybody get Gears of WAR?????

All indications of this game are that it is phenominal, i've been awaiting this release....although I am patiently awaiting my preorder from TRU...some preorder huh?

drop thoughts/reviews?
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:

I haven't played it yet. I'll be renting it soon though.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

I want to wait for the PS3 but I'm telling you this game may make me change my mind and finally give in to my temptation and get an Xbox 360.

Game looks crazy good!
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Its getting great great reviews. I wish I had it, but I dont. I hope to get it next week.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Hot damn, that game needs to come out for the PC.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I went to get my copy today, pre-ordered it nearly 6 months ago. Got to GameStop and the guy says, "Uhhh. Sorry. Fed-Ex screwed us over and we'll be getting it in TOMORROW. But you DO get $5 back on your purchase."

After hearing that, all I could think was that I wanted to get the millions of dollars that the emotional damage of waiting yet ANOTHER day is costing me.

Seriously though, this game is going to be amazing. Can not wait til tomorrow.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:

I picked up my copy of Gears of War yesterday. I didn't pre-order but the Circuit City in Culver City has a few left in stock. They have the regular and collectors edition as well. You also get a free GoW face plate w/ it. If you decide to go to Circuit City keep in mind that they usually keep their new release games in the stock room.. so make sure you have an associate check.

Here's my review:
I can honestly say this is one of the best games I have ever played. With the crazy amount of new titles dropping this month if you're only going to get one... Gears of War should be on the top of your list.

Storyline - Finally a storyline that moves the game at a good pace and develops the characters. The story is gritty and the characters have a real grunt attitude. They're soldiers .. not rocket scientists.. they're not there to try and figure out how to save the world that you find typical in sci-fi genre games. They kill stuff and execute orders.

Graphics - Simply stunning. If this is where next-gen games are heading we're in for some amazing eye candy. I read all the reviews, saw the trailers, saw it at e3, and it lives up to what they promised. Lighting effects are superb, not only do you get high poly models but a high poly environment to boot. The trailers are truly just a glimpse of what they bring to the table.

Sound - The developers finally get it... they set the background music at a lower level so it doesn't overpower the sound effects. Good thing too! The sound effects are just killer. Every click and clang of your gear, footsteps, enemies from afar, the sound effects just pop more and it's evident. If you have a 5.1 system or the like the sound fx will trip you out. Especially when you take a chainsaw to your foes.

Gameplay - I don't even know where to start with this one. This is how a tactical shooter should be.. and I have a feeling a lot of gaming companies are going to copy GoW's formula. The movement mechanics is outstanding. Taking cover, crouch running, shooting above and around cover, absolutely an immersing experience.

This is truly a co-op game and requires teamwork. You can run around and try to be Rambo but you'll end up dead pretty fast. The enemy Ai actually shows some intelligence in this game. They'll try to out flank you if you camp too long. Think you cleared an area.. next thing you know another platoon of enemies have crept up behind you. The enemy also can pull the same moves as you.... they take cover shoot around corners and mix it up. If you don't watch your six.. you can expect a rifle butt to the head. And even though you have a great arsenal of weaponry at your hands that won't be enough to kill some enemies. You'll need to *gulp* use your brains and out wit em.

Your Ai teammates are pretty good too. They have different personalities.. some are gung-ho while others are more laid back and are strictly there in a support role. Regardless, they're decent shooters and they actually help more than screw up.

I haven't had a chance to try the multi-player yet.. I think it's deathmatch type play. The co-op mode is 2 player, so pick up a copy for your friend if you want to get the the most out of the game.

GoW is an intense addicting experience. My friend and I played for 3 hours but it felt like 10 hours of action. Apologies for the long review but it really deserves all the praise.

Feel free to ask me any q's regarding the game and i'll try to answer em... when i'm not playing
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject:

GoW party at XTN's house!
brutella
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Yeah this game rocks...!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject:

What's the name of that song in the commercial for this game?
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Mad World is the name of song...I got the game but havn't even opened it. I'm addicted to COD 3. The controls in COD 3 are perfect for a FPS on a console. The aiming is extremely accurate. Hopefully other developers pay attention to this game.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Who wants to play some Co-op online? PM me and lemme know.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Like nothing you've ever played before. Simple as that. Greatest game ever. XTN gave a damn good review. I haven't found ONE single flaw with this game. Got home and played it for 8 hours split-screen co-op with a friend. He went home, then I got online and played with another friend for 4 more hours.

Needless to say, I've been a hermit for the last few days.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Like nothing you've ever played before. Simple as that. Greatest game ever. XTN gave a damn good review. I haven't found ONE single flaw with this game. Got home and played it for 8 hours split-screen co-op with a friend. He went home, then I got online and played with another friend for 4 more hours.

Havn't played yet but some people on LIVE say the only flaws with the game are the reliance on the A button which sometimes causes you to go into cover as you are running and the lack of variety in multiplayer. Heh I'll find out tomorrow.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Havn't played yet but some people on LIVE say the only flaws with the game are the reliance on the A button which sometimes causes you to go into cover as you are running and the lack of variety in multiplayer. Heh I'll find out tomorrow.

You have XBox Live? If so, let's play some co-op, man.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject:

All I have to say is DAMN. Don't have the game, but if gameplay is as good as the visuals I think I might have to dish out the $400 for an XBOX.

Does anybody know if this will be released for PS3 as well?
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Okay after playing for a couple of hours this is my early vote for GOTY.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:

We gotta play, man.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:

medieval total war 2 for PC OWNS every game out there atm
PWiddy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:

We gotta play, man.

as soon as my copy comes in the mail ill co-op with you...im getting impatient...
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:

FINALLY!!!

btw, I beat it last night. The storyline is amazing, man.

Hurry up your copy, cause we GOTTA play.
XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject:

My weekend was pretty much devoted to playing GoW. Beat it twice.. once on Casual and once on Hardcore. Next up - Insane Mode.

I haven't tried the Multiplayer yet.. I'm having way too much fun in single/co-op story mode.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Insane mode is great.
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject:

TheRod wrote:
All I have to say is DAMN. Don't have the game, but if gameplay is as good as the visuals I think I might have to dish out the $400 for an XBOX.

Micro Center is doing a $100 mail-in rebate for both the core and premium

AD LINK
XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject:

JD wrote:
TheRod wrote:

Micro Center is doing a $100 mail-in rebate for both the core and premium

AD LINK

Nice find JD! Now my friends won't have an excuse not to get one.

In response to TheRod's question regarding the game on PS3.. the answer is no. It's an Xbox 360 exclusive. PS3 has Fall:Resistance of Man as their first exclusive title. Sony is hoping it will be the "Halo Killer".

There's already reviews from Japan regarding the game, here's one:
Review of Fall: Resistance of Man
This review has actual in-game screen shots, not the usual computer renders that have flooded the internet. There's also a short clip on the second page.

I don't want to knock it since I haven't tried it .. but the screens don't impress me as much w/ all the hype surrounding the game
Then again I've been spoiled:
Screens of Gears of War

Screens of Fall: Resistance of Man
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: