Jiffy Lube: Car maintenance ripoff?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Underdogg812
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Jiffy Lube: Car maintenance ripoff?

Seems like they're charging their customers for work that wasn't even done. Something to be aware of, especially for those of you in LA. Check it out and judge for yourself...

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2006/0503/9152183.200k.asx
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject:

I went there once......no more.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject:

Yes, I've heard of this before with Jiffy Lubes. It's good to see our local news doing a story on it though. I think everyone should boycott all Jiffy Lubes across the country. Clearly, this is a franchise without adequate control over it's franchisees.

Do you know that if a McDonald's franchise doesn't consistently pass McDonald's own cleanliness standards, McDonald's will essentially reposess the franchise from the franchisee. McDonald's does its own spot checks on this, because they know that one dirty McDonald's can have an impact on all the other McDonald's in the chain.

Jiffy Lube could easily do their own inspections just like Channel 4 did, and strip franchises away from franchisees if they fail. But they don't. These kinds of reports have been going on for years with Jiffy Lube. Clearly, their corporate headquarters doesn't care enough to take this issue seriously. Oh, I'm sure they claim they do, but it's all just talk. "We'll take appropriate actions" yada yada yada. They'll fire the guys in the video, including "Alex" the district manager, but won't address the systemic problem.

I have to admit, I've gone to Jiffy Lube for oil changes. I always decline the additional services they suggest because I just plain don't trust them. Lately, I've decided I'm just going to do my own oil changes. Not because it's cheaper, but because I just don't trust these crooks at Jiffy Lube.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject:

This is actually a pretty old story (6 months or so). I don't know if Channel 4 has done any followup, but like the above guys mentioned, Jiffy Lube seems to consistently have these types of problems.

I usually get my oil changes at what I believe is a relatively new chain called EZ-Lube where the service is fast and friendly and so far, I've had no real issues. Of course, I also haven't had any major work done there outside of oil changes, but from what I see, they seem like they genuinely do their work.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:

Guranteed that Econo Lube and Tube will beat any of their prices.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject:

its not just jiffy lube.... I caught my own BMW dealer... I wrote a Big A on my micorfilters and oil filters..... Requested the oil service.... they changed the oil but not the filters..... I went back there and got the mechanic and service advisor fired and in return they extended my warranty to 100K miles
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I believe they are some crooks. When we moved from San Diego to Texas, they had no record that things done at the Jiffy Lube in Cali were done. I find that hard to believe that they are not linked somehow.

Just change your oil yourself
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject:

I would if I could, but my car is too low for me to get under it, and I'm not too comfortable just putting it up on a jack.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
I would if I could, but my car is too low for me to get under it, and I'm not too comfortable just putting it up on a jack.

what happens when you get a flat? dont tell your a (bleep) and call AAA
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Man,...and I was going in this weekend to service my bucket. Im tired of turning wrenches....Id rather pay nowadays
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Not every residence allows for working on cars.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Never been to a Jiffy Lube.

But stay away from Pep Boys. The nicest thing I can say about them is that they're careless and quite incompetent.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

Econo Lube has been good and reasonably priced.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:

LALakers999 wrote:
its not just jiffy lube.... I caught my own BMW dealer... I wrote a Big A on my micorfilters and oil filters..... Requested the oil service.... they changed the oil but not the filters..... I went back there and got the mechanic and service advisor fired and in return they extended my warranty to 100K miles

I salute you sir! You are the man!
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:

LALakers999 wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

what happens when you get a flat? dont tell your a (bleep) and call AAA

Depends on when and where. Haven't had a flat on this car yet. On my older cars, I would change it myself. But it tends to depend. If I'm on the side of a busy road and/or freeway, there's no way I'm gonna be doing it myself. I value my life more than I do a few dollars. Too many accidents have happened like that for me to feel safe.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: