Greatest Rock and Roll Guitarist of All Time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject:

^^^I thought about BB King, but this was asking about rock-n-roll, so I left him out intentionally

If we are talking about all genres, there are a number of classical guitarists we could mention
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
="encina1

If we are talking about all genres, there are a number of classical guitarists we could mention

Mention them. Between you and Larry Coon, I am for sure going to get someone else into my rotation. Anytime someone turns you on to something new, that you otherwise wouldn't have known about, it's a good thing....... Education via lakersground.net.

See kids, you never stop learning, even when you're as old as me.

And my apologies for not mentioning the great Al Dimeola or Les Paul.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

TheQuestForSeventeen wrote:
And Kirk Hammett isn't even the best guitar player in his own band, much less the best in rock history.

You may not like Kirk Hammett or may likely you don't like that type of music. But you cannot deny his greatness after closing your eyes and listening to Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets (arguably the greatest album in history) from beginning to end. No one can jam as fast as Kirk with his pure precision and perfection. Don't base your opinion of him off his last album.

Here's a list from Rollingstone (top 100).
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
Quote:
="encina1

Mention them. Between you and Larry Coon, I am for sure going to get someone else into my rotation. Anytime someone turns you on to something new, that you otherwise wouldn't have known about, it's a good thing....... Education via lakersground.net.

See kids, you never stop learning, even when you're as old as me.

And my apologies for not mentioning the great Al Dimeola or Les Paul.

For starters, I like Timothy Walker. It is classical guitar, so no rip-roaring jams. It's much more relaxing. Even more mellow than Kottke (at least what I am familiar with of Kottke)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jlkr42
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject:

For non-rock guitarists, I like Ray Gomez. It was a long time ago, he's pretty obscure, but man could he play! To see him go at it with Stanley Clarke at the Roxy in the late 70's was priceless. Also Al DiMeola, Pat Metheny and so on...

For blues, got to put Willie Dixon, Buddy Guy, BB King and SRV at the top.

For rock as contributors, Eddie VH, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Lindsey Buckingham, Hendrix, Page, Howe, Santana, Townshend. And I'm surprised no one has mentioned Duane Allman.

For pure technical virtuosity, Steve Vai is hard to top.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:

wow...johnny ramone is ranked really high! that's awesome.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:
And Kirk Hammett isn't even the best guitar player in his own band, much less the best in rock history.

You may not like Kirk Hammett or may likely you don't like that type of music. But you cannot deny his greatness after closing your eyes and listening to Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets (arguably the greatest album in history) from beginning to end. No one can jam as fast as Kirk with his pure precision and perfection. Don't base your opinion of him off his last album.

I'm actually a musician by trade, and own every Metallica album from Kill 'Em All on. I certainly KNOW Metallica's stuff. Hammett didn't even write the solos and riffs on Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets, Hetfield did. And Hammett is incredibly sloppy live. When you have an infinite amount of takes, eventually you're gonna hit it....but live is the truest test. I don't know if you've ever seen Dream Theater (Petrucci) or Steve Vai live, but Hammett doesn't ever approach what they do. Like I said, he's not even the best guitar player in his own band.

And considering that I mentioned Vai and Becker, I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I don't listen to that kind of music.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject:

The Dagger wrote:

I'm actually a musician by trade, and own every Metallica album from Kill 'Em All on. I certainly KNOW Metallica's stuff. Hammett didn't even write the solos and riffs on Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets, Hetfield did. And Hammett is incredibly sloppy live. When you have an infinite amount of takes, eventually you're gonna hit it....but live is the truest test. I don't know if you've ever seen Dream Theater (Petrucci) or Steve Vai live, but Hammett doesn't ever approach what they do. Like I said, he's not even the best guitar player in his own band.

And considering that I mentioned Vai and Becker, I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I don't listen to that kind of music.

i knew hammett was a bit overrated. Thats very interesting trivia there. I don't mind sloppiness live because I go to a lot of punk rock shows and I guess its hard to jump around and hit every note with precision. Me personally, Id prefer someone jumping/dancing and hitting a few wrong notes than just standing still the whole time and nailing everything.
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject:

I'm more into originality, creativity, passion and what a guitarist brings to a band more than shredding and super fast playing (like Malmsteen) but I do love Buckethead.

I dont think anyone here has mentioned Charlie Hunter. I know he plays 8 string novak guitar (5 guitar strings and 3 bass) and that technically isn't a guitar but he is beyond incredible. He is technically phenomenal, can wank if he wants to, and is super original. Check him out if you haven't yet.

Here are some older favorites:

Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Eddie Hazel, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Prince (he often gets forgotten because of his amazing songwriting and overall musicianship), Adrian Belew and Robert Fripp, Andres Segovia, SRV...

And newer favorites from the 90s to now:

John Frusciante (Chili Peppers), Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead). Omar Rodriguez (The Mars Volta), Jack White (White Stripes)

I know I'm forgetting tons of great guitarists but what can you do huh.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Dorray wrote:
I'm more into originality, creativity, passion and what a guitarist brings to a band more than shredding and super fast playing (like Malmsteen) but I do love Buckethead.

I dont think anyone here has mentioned Charlie Hunter. I know he plays 8 string novak guitar (5 guitar strings and 3 bass) and that technically isn't a guitar but he is beyond incredible. He is technically phenomenal, can wank if he wants to, and is super original. Check him out if you haven't yet.

Here are some older favorites:

Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Eddie Hazel, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Prince (he often gets forgotten because of his amazing songwriting and overall musicianship), Adrian Belew and Robert Fripp, Andres Segovia, SRV...

And newer favorites from the 90s to now:

John Frusciante (Chili Peppers), Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead). Omar Rodriguez (The Mars Volta), Jack White (White Stripes)

I know I'm forgetting tons of great guitarists but what can you do huh.

I thought I was going to be going way out by mentioning Prince, but he is a great musician overall
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject:

charlie hunter does indeed rule.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject:

jeff beck
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject:

I'm going to have to go with Jason Becker. Not only could he shred on the guitar, but the things he's had to endure with ALS... He's just an amazing talent and an inspiration.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:

Dorray wrote:

Wow, Adrian Belew. Totally didn't even come anywhere near thinking of him, but now that you mention his name, it brought back a lot of memories. I think I started getting in to Belew about the same time I was getting into Zappa as well. Maybe people remember Adrian from 'oh daddy', but it went well beyond that for me.

Good call.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
The Dagger wrote:

i knew hammett was a bit overrated. Thats very interesting trivia there. I don't mind sloppiness live because I go to a lot of punk rock shows and I guess its hard to jump around and hit every note with precision. Me personally, Id prefer someone jumping/dancing and hitting a few wrong notes than just standing still the whole time and nailing everything.

Yeah, I totally hear you. I mean, it all depends on what you're trying to get out of a show. I've gone to Chili Pepper concerts where Flea might miss a few notes on bass, but his stage presence was so unreal that it was perfectly okay. Or if I go to a Punk Show like you said....same thing.

That being said, if I'm going to see 3G or Satriani, Vai, etc....I'm going to see someone play the bejesus out of a guitar. It's a good point that you make.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

unggoy wrote:
Ugh - can't believe I've forgotten these guys. Again, it's just my personal preference, in no particular order

BB King
Mark Knopfler
Vernon Reid
Dick Dale
Angus Young
Gary Richrath
Tom Morello

Also, this has nothing to do with this thread except it was a cool experience. I was at the Chicago Blues Festival in '01, and we were just waltzing down the sidewalk in Grant Park and came up on this younger guy plugged in somewhere, with this little amp. Turned out it was Kenny Wayne Sheppard, just jamming on a sidewalk. It was unreal. I know a lot of guitarists or fans don't care for him, but I figure the guy played with SRV and Dr. John, so I was seeing something pretty amazing. And it was.
IIRC, Stevie Ray was Kenny Wayne's godfather, they were very close.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:

Could be. I know for sure that Mel Gibson is his father-in-law though.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:

I can't believe I forgot Knopfler.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Jimi Hendrix without a doubt.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:
unggoy wrote:
Ugh - can't believe I've forgotten these guys. Again, it's just my personal preference, in no particular order

BB King
Mark Knopfler
Vernon Reid
Dick Dale
Angus Young
Gary Richrath
Tom Morello

Also, this has nothing to do with this thread except it was a cool experience. I was at the Chicago Blues Festival in '01, and we were just waltzing down the sidewalk in Grant Park and came up on this younger guy plugged in somewhere, with this little amp. Turned out it was Kenny Wayne Sheppard, just jamming on a sidewalk. It was unreal. I know a lot of guitarists or fans don't care for him, but I figure the guy played with SRV and Dr. John, so I was seeing something pretty amazing. And it was.

Good call on Knopfler. I still get chills listening to "brothers in Arms" (not the commercial tracks, the other stuff).

I don't consider BB King a rock guitarist. If you want to talk blues, wow, i can give you a long list, of which BB ranks bottom third. Love the guy, but he's famous based more on personality and timing than talent.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:

toss up between hendrix and page.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

I don't consider BB King a rock guitarist. If you want to talk blues, wow, i can give you a long list, of which BB ranks bottom third. Love the guy, but he's famous based more on personality and timing than talent.

I saw BB King at - I think - Key Club, and had a great time. Something about seeing someone live does it for me. I wasn't a fan prior, but I am now.

There's a blues guitarist named Rick Olivarez who I've seen in New Orleans as well as a couple of spots here in LA. Nobody will know him, but he was just off the charts good. He's doing gypsy jazz stuff somewhere in Canada now I think and although that genre doesn't have a huge following, commercial or otherwise, he's one of the best at that now too.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Hendrix has got to be the most talented.

Clapton was at his best during his Derek and Dominos days.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Duane Allman and Peter Green, or Warren Haynes.

The Stones were at their best when Mick Taylor was playing lead.

From the young guys I like Derek Trucks (saw him live with Clapton, amazing kid!). Joe Bonamassa is also cool.

The most versatile has got to be Ry Cooder.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject:

even though i just started getting into pink floyd, gilmore is definitely up there. I think the solo for "time" is one of the best i ever heard. Gilmore blends his parts into the song so smoothly. And Id also have to agree with a previous poster who mentioned Prince.
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Paul McCartney on bass. Tragic that his life was cut short in his prime.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: