Jay-Z pulls an MJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Jay-Z pulls an MJ

So Kingdom Come was released today, I'm sure many of you already had it. I'll be honest I was never a huge Jay fan but really enjoyed the Black Album. With his retirement Jay was leaving the game on top or as he called himself the best rapper alive. And it was hard to argue since his swan song was so good. Sort of like MJ's last shot against Utah.

Fast Forward and Jay just came back in the game wearing a Wizards uniform and looking/sounding old. Sure he'll continue to sell out stadiums and probably sell more than Game, but it's really not the same swagger we heard when he was on top or maybe it is but we all remember him being something more. In any case i think think Kingdom Come is better tha most albums but still wrapped in Wizards uni that just don't seem the same.
When they ask me about Shaq, I say, 'I love Shaq, but [screw] Miami.' It is what it is. I'm a Laker and I bleed purple and gold and if you ain't down with the Lakers, f--- you, straight up.-Snoop Dogg
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:

excellent anology.

the album isn't bad. it's just not the excellent caliber we've come to expect. i've been listening to it though. still better than a lot of whats out there.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jay-Z pulls an MJ

LA NATIVE wrote:
So Kingdom Come was released today, I'm sure many of you already had it. I'll be honest I was never a huge Jay fan but really enjoyed the Black Album. With his retirement Jay was leaving the game on top or as he called himself the best rapper alive. And it was hard to argue since his swan song was so good. Sort of like MJ's last shot against Utah.

Fast Forward and Jay just came back in the game wearing a Wizards uniform and looking/sounding old. Sure he'll continue to sell out stadiums and probably sell more than Game, but it's really not the same swagger we heard when he was on top or maybe it is but we all remember him being something more. In any case i think think Kingdom Come is better tha most albums but still wrapped in Wizards uni that just don't seem the same.

^^i dont agree. even though i see where ya going with the mjay/wizards reference.

and a lot of the comparisons between the two are pretty accurate.

Mjay owned a portion of the wiz. came back to play because he loved the game so much. also came back to bring a larger audience to his own company. Jay comes back because the itch to rap never really left. 2. Jigga is a big wig at Def Jam the label he's now rapping for. His album does well. more attention drawn to him. more attention drawn to him. more he can draw attention to Def jam artists.

BUT. the difference is people wont allow rappers to grow up. They want rappers to be the same people they were when they first came out. I'm glad Jigga is talking about being old. I'm glad he's spitting it from a true adult point of view. Some think its soft, or not as hard. I say its wiser then his previous material. now when was wiser soft in all reality? never. but hey, some people think its tougher to Act tough then to actually be tough mentally. same people judging jayz's album. so there you have it.

its tougher to not kill a man when he disrespects you then it is to just pull the trigger. and once I'm wise enough to recognize that, then as an artists I should use my venue (rap) to portray that. If I have learned that it isn't all about the money just to look good and floss for self. but to share with others. Then I should say that. If I realize that my beef with a certain big time individual did more harm then good to myself, the other guy and the hiphop scene. I should express that. These are my feelings. as an Artist i should always express my thoughts/feelings.

Some fans dont get that. they never want you to change. now granted if you stay the same. they will ride you for that. and say man, when is he going to switch it up. No way he can be on the corner pitching rocks at 30+ with millions from the industry. So you can't please everyone. just do you. And thats what Jay is doing. Dont be mad, slightly upset, feel let down. or any of that. take it for what its worth. a Progression in Sean carter the man. remember it started with RD, then to Life&times. then to S.carter, so forth and so on. Let the man grow up.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
excellent anology.

the album isn't bad. it's just not the excellent caliber we've come to expect. i've been listening to it though. still better than a lot of whats out there.
It's disappointing, imo... I was expecting a little more from Jay... The album, to me, has no continuity to it.

Also, "Trouble", hot beat (once again Dre), but is it me, or does that sound like a 50 song... from the hook, to Jay rhymes style...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
assassin08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jay-Z pulls an MJ

postandpivot wrote:
LA NATIVE wrote:

^^i dont agree. even though i see where ya going with the mjay/wizards reference.

Mjay owned a portion of the wiz. came back to play because he loved the game so much. also came back to bring a larger audience to his own company. Jay comes back because the itch to rap never really left. 2. Jigga is a big wig at Def Jam the label he's now rapping for. His album does well. more attention drawn to him. more attention drawn to him. more he can draw attention to Def jam artists.

BUT. the difference is people wont allow rappers to grow up. They want rappers to be the same people they were when they first came out. I'm glad Jigga is talking about being old. I'm glad he's spitting it from a true adult point of view. Some think its soft, or not as hard. I say its wiser then his previous material. now when was wiser soft in all reality? never. but hey, some people think its tougher to Act tough then to actually be tough mentally. same people judging jayz's album. so there you have it.

its tougher to not kill a man when he disrespects you then it is to just pull the trigger. and once I'm wise enough to recognize that, then as an artists I should use my venue (rap) to portray that. If I have learned that it isn't all about the money just to look good and floss for self. but to share with others. Then I should say that. If I realize that my beef with a certain big time individual did more harm then good to myself, the other guy and the hiphop scene. I should express that. These are my feelings. as an Artist i should always express my thoughts/feelings.

Some fans dont get that. they never want you to change. now granted if you stay the same. they will ride you for that. and say man, when is he going to switch it up. No way he can be on the corner pitching rocks at 30+ with millions from the industry. So you can't please everyone. just do you. And thats what Jay is doing. Dont be mad, slightly upset, feel let down. or any of that. take it for what its worth. a Progression in Sean carter the man. remember it started with RD, then to Life&times. then to S.carter, so forth and so on. Let the man grow up.

I agree, wonderfully put, P&P... I've been listening to the album again and again and again, almost to the extent that, if I give it couple more spins, I'm gonna kill the freshness of the music... I think the album is really well-done, and like I said in the topic that I started a little while back, when RD first came out, few people liked it except for the obvious singles like DP2, Can't Knock the Hustle, and BK's Finest... but RD's now seen as one of the classic albums of hip-hop... not saying KC is on RD's level, but people might start to realize what the album's really about as time rolls on...
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:

I havent heard Kingdom Come yet, but I'm afraid that when I listen to it Ill think its not the same guy from reasonable doubt.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jay-Z pulls an MJ

assassin08 wrote:

I agree, wonderfully put, P&P... I've been listening to the album again and again and again, almost to the extent that, if I give it couple more spins, I'm gonna kill the freshness of the music... I think the album is really well-done, and like I said in the topic that I started a little while back, when RD first came out, few people liked it except for the obvious singles like DP2, Can't Knock the Hustle, and BK's Finest... but RD's now seen as one of the classic albums of hip-hop... not saying KC is on RD's level, but people might start to realize what the album's really about as time rolls on...

All true... only time will tell...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Jay-Z pulls an MJ

postandpivot wrote:
LA NATIVE wrote:

I don't disagree with you I was counting on his progression on this album. Like I said I wasn't a Jay fan, but it was his progression that made me one. Disregarding lyrics like "you respect the person who gets shot, but I respect the shooter" I was looking forward to an album along the lines of the title track "Kingdon Come" which was filled the more conscious Jay Z. Unfortunately I didn't find any until the last track "Beach Chair". Alot of the songs seemed more like mixtape material. Maybe like Jordan my expectations were too high from how I remembered him to appreciate the current version still doing what he does best.
When they ask me about Shaq, I say, 'I love Shaq, but [screw] Miami.' It is what it is. I'm a Laker and I bleed purple and gold and if you ain't down with the Lakers, f--- you, straight up.-Snoop Dogg
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jay-Z pulls an MJ

LA NATIVE wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
LA NATIVE wrote:

I don't disagree with you I was counting on his progression on this album. Like I said I wasn't a Jay fan, but it was his progression that made me one. Disregarding lyrics like "you respect the person who gets shot, but I respect the shooter" I was looking forward to an album along the lines of the title track "Kingdon Come" which was filled the more conscious Jay Z. Unfortunately I didn't find any until the last track "Beach Chair". Alot of the songs seemed more like mixtape material. Maybe like Jordan my expectations were too high from how I remembered him to appreciate the current version still doing what he does best.

perhaps^^^

Lost ones,
keep on going. maybe you need to take another listen.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Man, I was listening to Encore today and I remembered this line:

Quote:
As fate would have it, Jay's status appears
to be at an all-time high, perfect time to say goodbye
When I come back like Jordan, wearin the 4-5
It ain't to play games witchu

He knew it was comin...
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject:

how are the dre beats on the tracks he produced???
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject:

Best Dr Dre beat out right now song titled "Boss's life" w/ Snoop & Akon. Dre tore it up with that beat.

...with the piano, sounds real sick. Don't confuse this song with "Imagine", that song is alright.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:

They suck (expcept for Lost Ones). He hasn't been a good producer since The Chronic IMO. Overall though, I liked the CD. It's better than most stuff put out this year (ecxept for Lupe Fiasco's and Clipse's CD). He's not the same Jay from Reaonable Doubt, or even The Blueprint for that matter, but he has some highlights (Beach Chair, Lost Ones,etc.), and he's still better than most rappers out today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

They suck (expcept for Lost Ones). He hasn't been a good producer since The Chronic IMO. Overall though, I liked the CD. It's better than most stuff put out this year (ecxept for Lupe Fiasco's and Clipse's CD). He's not the same Jay from Reaonable Doubt, or even The Blueprint for that matter, but he has some highlights (Beach Chair, Lost Ones,etc.), and he's still better than most rappers out today.

What about Cube's Laugh Now Cry Later? I thought it was more than alright, Why we Thugz, Go to Church, Chrome n Paint, Steal the Show, (bleep) traped, Stop Snitching, Child Support, all tight tracks.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
twoface723 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

What about Cube's Laugh Now Cry Later? I thought it was more than alright, Why we Thugz, Go to Church, Chrome n Paint, Steal the Show, (bleep) traped, Stop Snitching, Child Support, all tight tracks.

They alright, but not IMO .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
j-dawg
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject:

Although I think Jay is a little overrated these days, this album was actually better than I thought it would be.

3 mics out of 5 IMO. Considering that most rap albums these days get a 1.5 or 2 mics out of 5 from me, it actually makes this album pretty good.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Aight, Ive listened to the whole album now... I think the top2 tracks are "Kingdom Come" and "Beach Chair" Beach Chair is more for the sick beat, reminds me of a mix between 99 problems and Dec 4th two of my favorite Jay-Z tracks...and Kingdom come has some cool lyrics and a flow that isnt Hove's, but sure sounds nice.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: