Cell phone owners getting new rights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Cell phone owners getting new rights

Quote:
Cell phone owners getting new rights

NEW YORK (AP) -- Cell phone owners will be allowed to break software locks on their handsets in order to use them with competing carriers under new copyright rules announced Wednesday.

Quote:
But von Lohmann said he was disappointed the Copyright Office rejected a number of exemptions that could have benefited consumers, including one that would have let owners of DVDs legally copy movies for use on Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod and other portable players.

Quote:
In granting the exemption for cell phone users, the Copyright Office determined that consumers aren't able to enjoy full legal use of their handsets because of software locks that wireless providers have been placing to control access to phones' underlying programs.

Quote:
Billington noted that at least one company has filed lawsuits claiming that breaking the software locks violates copyright law, which makes it illegal for people to circumvent copy-protection technologies without an exemption from the Copyright Office. He said the locks appeared in place not to protect the developer of the cell phone software but for third-party interests.

About time!!!!

LINK
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

Yes it is! I am not as software savvy as I would like, so I may be missing some of this, but I think it ridiculous people spend so much money on cell phones, they legally own them, but cell phone companies/carriers limit what we can do with them.

What I also think ridiculous is the things that I have read say that cell phone companies from other countries offer a lot more technology for the money than in the US. If you go to Korea (which I have not, but again with the reading), they are light years ahead of the US in what cell phones do offer.

Yet here we are slaves to the companies and there doesn't seem to be enough competition to make things better for the consumer. And sometimes it seems to be getting worse.

I could go into another tirade against the government and how they actually stymie (stymy? how do you spell that?) capitalism and free market competition, but I won't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Yes it is! I am not as software savvy as I would like, so I may be missing some of this, but I think it ridiculous people spend so much money on cell phones, they legally own them, but cell phone companies/carriers limit what we can do with them.

What I also think ridiculous is the things that I have read say that cell phone companies from other countries offer a lot more technology for the money than in the US. If you go to Korea (which I have not, but again with the reading), they are light years ahead of the US in what cell phones do offer.

Yet here we are slaves to the companies and there doesn't seem to be enough competition to make things better for the consumer. And sometimes it seems to be getting worse.

I could go into another tirade against the government and how they actually stymie (stymy? how do you spell that?) capitalism and free market competition, but I won't.
Europe/Asia is light years head of the US in cellular tech, plans, equipment, networks, etc. It comes down to acceptance. Europe/Asia embraced the tech a lot faster then the US.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Europe/Asia is light years head of the US in cellular tech, plans, equipment, networks, etc. It comes down to acceptance. Europe/Asia embraced the tech a lot faster then the US.

really?

id like to see examples or info on whats availble over there...
do you know where to read about it or see the actual phones online?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
TACH wrote:
encina1 wrote:

really?

id like to see examples or info on whats availble over there...
do you know where to read about it or see the actual phones online?

U.S. Ready to Catch Up in the Adoption of Advanced Cellular Applications
6th June , 2006
US : Mobile subscribers in the United States are ready to catch up with their global peers - including closing the gap on the world's most advanced users in Korea and China - in the adoption of new cellular innovations that make mobile devices sing, play and work harder than ever before, according to more than 5,000 global respondents of a new Siemens Communications Inc. survey.

"While a wide gap remains between the number of sophisticated mobile consumers in the United States versus the rest of the world, the U.S. consumer appetite for future adoption of advanced service features suggests that the mobile technology gap will close in the years ahead," said Harald Braun, president, Networks Division, Siemens Communications Inc. "U.S. consumers are ready to get additional entertainment and productivity value out of mobile telephones, PDAs and other cellular devices."

According to the Siemens survey, U.S. and World Demand for Wireless Applications, topping the U.S. mobile applications wish list are:

-- Mobile e-mail services, already used by many U.S. consumers today, to manage both office and private e-mails, calendars and contact lists - 69 percent said they are interested.

-- Mobile music services for access to a radio station or to download songs and listen to them in their mobile devices - 56 percent.

-- Mobile television services to allow the watching of existing television channels or to enable the downloading and playback of specific video content - 53 percent.

Forty-seven percent of U.S. mobile consumers also expressed interest in enriched voice call services that, as examples, would enable a consumer to share pictures or data while talking on a mobile phone or turn a voice session into a video call using the phone's camera. Mobile gaming (47 percent), which is also in use by many U.S. consumers today, also tops the wish list, followed by group voice communication (47 percent) and mobile file sharing (44 percent) applications.

Not only do U.S. consumers have an appetite for more advanced mobile applications, they are also willing to pay, on average, 10 percent more each month to add new services.

Closing the Mobile Applications Gap

While 21 percent of the rest of the world already uses mobile devices to access advanced entertainment applications such as downloading music, video streaming or gaming, only 11 percent of U.S. consumers have used such features - a gap of nearly two-to-one. However, 52 percent of U.S. mobile users say they are likely to purchase such services in the future compared to 62 percent of non-U.S. consumers - closing the usage gap to 20 percent.

A similar scenario exists for the use of newer productivity-focused mobility features. About 15 percent of non-U.S. consumers have used advanced mobile productivity tools (mobile e-mail, enriched voice services and file sharing) compared to 11 percent of U.S. consumer - a 36 percent gap. Looking ahead, 64 percent of non-U.S. consumers versus 52 percent of U.S. mobile customers want such services in the near future - a 23 percent difference.

The world outside of the United States, especially the Asian mobile applications market, is probably more than two years ahead, Braun said. Although the United States is catching up, much of the nation remains without 3G coverage, a delay that has a lot to do with immense geographical size of the country and a continued reliance on wired network infrastructures that have yet to be fully monetized.

The United States, a first adopter of mobile technologies, is now playing catch-up with countries like Japan that did not fully enter the fray until after the turn of the century. When countries like Japan began mobile network build-outs, they began with more advanced foundations of next-generation 3G networks.

"In many ways, the United States is paying the price of being an early adopter," Braun said. "But the U.S. market still has the potential to be one of the largest mobile markets in the world."
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject:

interesting... thanks..

any cell phone people here know where to get LABJAL, RSS DEPOT or Raptor phone software??
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject:

In smaller countries like Korea, it's easier to install a nation-wide networks of whatever, whether it's fast DSL or DMB.

For example, a lot of Koreans are accustomed to downloading speeds exceeding 2000 KB/s, which would only be possible with, what, T1 in the US?
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
In smaller countries like Korea, it's easier to install a nation-wide networks of whatever, whether it's fast DSL or DMB.

For example, a lot of Koreans are accustomed to downloading speeds exceeding 2000 KB/s, which would only be possible with, what, T1 in the US?

I had a T1 connection, but never had anywhere close to 2000 KB/s downloads. Around 150kb or so. Unless it wasn't a T1 connection.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject:

T-1's top out at 1.544mbps or 1544kbps. Cable modems go screaming past that. FIOS is going to blow cable out of the water.

Cellular technology can burst above 2000kbps, but you can't really expect to consistently get that type of connection, especially if there are other heavy users around you.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: