Rocky Balboa - who's going?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Rocky Balboa - who's going?

Quote:
In this new installment of the Rocky series, Rocky Balboa returns to the ring to fight the present world champion... It's been many years since Rocky Balboa has been in the ring. Through that time his wife Adrian died of cancer, and he and his son, Rocky Jr., have been growing apart. Rocky owns his own deli, and people will come in just to hear his stories. Now ESPN is holding these virtual boxing matches pairing up fighters from different eras, it is a competition. And in the end it showed that if there was a match between "Young" Rocky and the champion Mason "The Line" Dixion, Rocky would win. Seeing this virtual fight makes Rocky remember how much he misses being in the ring. He doesn't miss the winning part, he misses the sport. So he re-registers for his license... This creates a media firestorm, and who should hear about it but Mason himself. Paper View wont pay him anymore because they believe that he is fighting all second rate fighters, and that he's a "paper champion". So his people suggest a fight between him and Rocky. Dixon agrees... The opportunity is brought to Rocky who at first is a little cautious at first, but soon agrees also. Now it is a Battle of the Ages. A true battle of Will v.s. Skill. With the help of Paulie, Tony (his old trainer), and of course his son, it is truly, his final countdown.

This movie opens around Christmas. I'm really looking forward to it since Rocky is my favorite movie series of all-time. Can't wait to see Sly, hear the classic music, and take in a good movie. Any other Rocky fans here?
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

"I must break you."

Judging from the trailers...it looks pretty good. Sly is the MAN when it comes to Rocky, and hopefully it will be on par with Rocky IV. I seriously can't wait to check this out.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

As silly as having old man Stallone boxing yet again is, the movie is rumored to be pretty decent. Even if it stinks though, I will have to go see it. You just can't have seen all the other Rocky's and not go see this one.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject:

think he learned to block a bunch in this one?
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject:

No.

The first Rocky was a very charming and at times understated, if that is somehow possible for a movie about boxing. The second Rocky wasn't as good as the first, but it was a solid (if predictable) sequel. The third rounded the story out well, with a seeming conclusion to his career as a boxer... though the theme was at that point too repetitive, to the point where the character couldn't grow. And that is why the Rocky movies afterward were crap... Stallone can't let the character grow just as he hasn't been able to grow as an artist after that first auspicious movie. The Rocky movies (after III) are all crafted from the stagnant formula, with lapses into banal sentimentality.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
think he learned to block a bunch in this one?

So true, so true. Fundamentally awful boxing... leave your arms and gloves wide, and simply take turns hitting after telegraphing your punches to each other.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
No.

The first Rocky was a very charming and at times understated, if that is somehow possible for a movie about boxing. The second Rocky wasn't as good as the first, but it was a solid (if predictable) sequel. The third rounded the story out well, with a seeming conclusion to his career as a boxer... though the theme was at that point too repetitive, to the point where the character couldn't grow. And that is why the Rocky movies afterward were crap... Stallone can't let the character grow just as he hasn't been able to grow as an artist after that first auspicious movie. The Rocky movies (after III) are all crafted from the stagnant formula, with lapses into banal sentimentality.

Thanks Ebert. That being said... I'll be watching it.

Rocky DOES blocks those punches..it's the age old technique of blocking with your face.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
No.

Just because those latter movies were crappy doesn't mean they weren't fun to watch. How can you not love Rocky IV? Awesomely craptacular, but Rocky giving up his title to run up mountains in the Soviet Union and fighting Drago. And Drago - some of the greatest quotes in any Rocky movie:

- "I must break you"
- "If he dies, he dies."
- "He's like a piece of Iron! He won't break!"
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
No.

Just because those latter movies were crappy doesn't mean they weren't fun to watch. How can you not love Rocky IV? Awesomely craptacular, but Rocky giving up his title to run up mountains in the Soviet Union and fighting Drago. And Drago - some of the greatest quotes in any Rocky movie:

- "I must break you"
- "If he dies, he dies."
- "He's like a piece of Iron! He won't break!"

"To the end."
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I've always been a big fan of the Rocky series, so I'll eventually get around to watching this one out of loyalty and curiosity. It sure isn't because of the storyline. The plot isn't even plausible. There is no way that any 60 year-old could ever compete in the ring against a top active pro. If Stallone really wanted to do another Rocky movie, having Rocky train his son would have been a better story.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
I've always been a big fan of the Rocky series, so I'll eventually get around to watching this one out of loyalty and curiosity. It sure isn't because of the storyline. The plot isn't even plausible. There is no way that any 60 year-old could ever compete in the ring against a top active pro. If Stallone really wanted to do another Rocky movie, having Rocky train his son would have been a better story.

Rocky VII
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Apparently Milo Ventimiglia, who plays Peter in Heroes is playing Rocky's son in this movie. That dude is so skinny he's have trouble making it as a lightweight . Agreed though, Rocky at 60 is pretty silly.
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject:

rocky IV was one of the greatest movies ever made in the 80s

i just watched it again on remastered widescreen recently and its not as good that way though. the only way to watch this movie is on crappy vhs tape on a small 20" tube. that gives it the old school russian feel when you are watching it all grainy and old looking.

"if i can change, and you can change, everybody can change!"

classic
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:

I love all the Rockies!!! I cant help but watch them everytime they play them on TNT or whatever station.

WILL BE THERE!! And if there's a Laker game that night, I'll go after that!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:

I don't mind crap movies. I own a few crap classics like Plan 9 From Outer Space and Robot Monster. I love camp too, like Rounders (a great late night movie). I just find Stallone's screen presence irritating rather than entertaining, perhaps a function of both his ego and a lack of talent. He always plays the same character, whether it's Rambo, Rocky, or even one of his really awful attempts at comedy (Stop! Or My Mom will Shoot).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject:

they should have killed this franchise when it hit its hight note: Rocky ends the cold war by beating drago.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject:

20 bux in the crapper, no thanks. I'll wait for cable or netflix on this one.
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

I would go, but there's no way my girl would go with me even if it was a triple header and the first movie was The Notebook and the last movie was Devil wears Prada. So I more than likeley will be watching the DVD by myslef, at least I won't have to explain every character's past so she could follow along.
When they ask me about Shaq, I say, 'I love Shaq, but [screw] Miami.' It is what it is. I'm a Laker and I bleed purple and gold and if you ain't down with the Lakers, f--- you, straight up.-Snoop Dogg
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:

LA NATIVE wrote:
I would go, but there's no way my girl would go with me even if it was a triple header and the first movie was The Notebook and the last movie was Devil wears Prada. So I more than likeley will be watching the DVD by myslef, at least I won't have to explain every character's past so she could follow along.

Naw dude, you gotta go with a bunch of your guy buddies and a couple flasks. You may even consider dressing up like Rocky, complete with American flag trunks and boxing gloves. THAT'S how you gotta see this movie!
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Colby Briant wrote:
rocky IV was one of the greatest movies ever made in the 80s

i just watched it again on remastered widescreen recently and its not as good that way though. the only way to watch this movie is on crappy vhs tape on a small 20" tube. that gives it the old school russian feel when you are watching it all grainy and old looking.

"if i can change, and you can change, everybody can change!"

classic

Now that speech is one of the greatest movie speeches EVER!
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if anyone noticed, but I recently re watched rocky iv, and if you pay attention, sylvester stallone has about 5 lines in that entire movie Didn't notice it when I was younger but that's pretty funny man.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject:

I'll be there; the funny thing is that Stallone looks in much better shape than Foreman when he came back and won the title in his 40's...
Savory Griddles
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject:

I love a good train wreck.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:

The funny thing is, the advertising and hype is getting to me... I actually sort-of, kind-of, somewhat, WANT to see it now.

Heaven help me.

MIM
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:

I don't ussually watch that many movies unless they are on DVD/Movie Channel ... but this one I will.

Loved Rocky movies. You just gotta go watch if you've seen all the other ones.

Personally I never thought Sly was that bad an actor. I mean I much rather watch a movie of his than some of the other action stars.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: