Help my kid wants a ___________ for Christmas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Help my kid wants a ___________ for Christmas

Hey LG'ers what does your kid want for Christmas?

My 10 yr old wants the Pink Ipod. After seeing the price I said hell no, but as we get closer to Christmas I can't think of anything else. Any ideas? Are there any good low price Ipods? Also I'm suppose to buy my newborn a TMX Elmo, why do they laugh whenever I ask if they're in stock?
When they ask me about Shaq, I say, 'I love Shaq, but [screw] Miami.' It is what it is. I'm a Laker and I bleed purple and gold and if you ain't down with the Lakers, f--- you, straight up.-Snoop Dogg
LALfan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Help my kid wants a ___________ for Christmas

Quote:
My 10 yr old wants the Pink Ipod. After seeing the price I said hell no, but as we get closer to Christmas I can't think of anything else. Any ideas?

To be honest with you I just ask my kids what they want. Just ask what is number 2 and 3 on their list. So at least you would get something he/she wants.

Quote:
Are there any good low price Ipods? Also I'm suppose to buy my newborn a TMX Elmo, why do they laugh whenever I ask if they're in stock?

LOL sorry I'm laughing at you too. Have you tried on-line shopping? Be careful though prices can get ridiculous.
Try this
Link

Also since you have a new born it wouldn't be such a big deal if you waited till after xmas to get it.

Also try overstock.com for cheaper Ipods maybe.

Happy shopping!
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:

I bought my newborn a TMX Elmo at Toys R Us a few weeks back. Apparently they're a popular item this year. I wouldn't have known about them except that I was in line to pre-order a Wii and there was some older folks there waiting to get an Elmo.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:

You guys are buying those for your newborns? Nothing like giving the poor things nightmares.

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject:

always check craigstlist for anything you're thinking of buying.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:

Yea, the TMX ELMO would probably freak out my 2 year old! Seeing as how it freaks out her Dad.
I'm thinking of getting my little one a play kitchen and one of those playhouses. Not sure which ones to get yet..those things are pretty pricey.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:
You guys are buying those for your newborns? Nothing like giving the poor things nightmares.

Hey, my 2 month old sat on Santa's lap and didn't even blink. Though the laughing box gives her dad the willies.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Kobe Bryant as 2007 NBA Finals MVP...
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Yea, the TMX ELMO would probably freak out my 2 year old! Seeing as how it freaks out her Dad.
I'm thinking of getting my little one a play kitchen and one of those playhouses. Not sure which ones to get yet..those things are pretty pricey.

Get the right one, and it'll last you forever though. The Little Tikes playhouses are like cockroaches. They can't be killed. Ours has oulasted a trampoline, a swingset, a lawnmower, and a couple of trikes/scooters. It's the pink and white one with the blue roof.

NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
NoMoreGame7s wrote:

Hey, my 2 month old sat on Santa's lap and didn't even blink. Though the laughing box gives her dad the willies.

Just don't get ahead of yourself. Next thing you know, you're gonna be trying to decide between a cell phone and an iPod for your kids 3rd birthday present.

XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:

A few years ago my daughter wanted a laptop. Mind you she was 9 at the time and really didn't need one. I was also on a budget for her. So I took her on a mini shopping spree at Toys R' Us... up to the amount that I had set aside for her. She was happy as could be.. she also learned that she could either blow all the money on one thing.. or get numerous items. It worked out great!
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Do something GREAT for your family. Buy a gift that is within reach, and that doesn't stretch the household budget to the max.

Something else to consider,
Does the 10 year old know how to use a computer to buy MP3's online and understand the budget that involves? Another option would be your baby ripping their own CD's to put on the MP3 player? In either case there is additional budget to consider.Will your little one be using their allowance to purchase music online?

Ultimately an MP3 player is simply used to play music, so whether it's an Apple branded one or another make that's pretty much all it will do. MP3 players can be had for as little as $30 bux if you do some research. I suggest www.Froogle.com for best prices and any number of millions of websites for reviews.

Good luck mang.
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:

XTN wrote:
A few years ago my daughter wanted a laptop. Mind you she was 9 at the time and really didn't need one. I was also on a budget for her. So I took her on a mini shopping spree at Toys R' Us... up to the amount that I had set aside for her. She was happy as could be.. she also learned that she could either blow all the money on one thing.. or get numerous items. It worked out great!

I am really looking for anyway to get out of buying the IPOD, which I'm sure she doesn't need. This might work I just don't want to be told the dreaded "You runied Christmas. I hate you" line I got when she wanted Nintendo DS or whatever last year.
When they ask me about Shaq, I say, 'I love Shaq, but [screw] Miami.' It is what it is. I'm a Laker and I bleed purple and gold and if you ain't down with the Lakers, f--- you, straight up.-Snoop Dogg
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

NoMoreGame7s wrote:

I showed him my friend's and the little laker fan totally ignored it. My woman is pressuring me to but it because her sister is getting one for her newborn. Damn I hate Christmas sometimes.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:

LA NATIVE wrote:
XTN wrote:

I am really looking for anyway to get out of buying the IPOD, which I'm sure she doesn't need. This might work I just don't want to be told the dreaded "You runied Christmas. I hate you" line I got when she wanted Nintendo DS or whatever last year.

Wow, if she say's stuff like that she doesn't need an iPod, she needs an attitude adjustment. Try a lump of coal, or even worse, an old 8 track player.
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Money$hot! wrote:
LA NATIVE wrote:
XTN wrote:

Wow, if she say's stuff like that she doesn't need an iPod, she needs an attitude adjustment. Try a lump of coal, or even worse, an old 8 track player.

The hate line wasn't verbal but more of a look, like the one Kobe gives the refs when they don't call the foul. Now that I think about it I never bought her that Nintendo DS and the disappointment passed with whatever it was I did get her.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Get her a Nintendo Wii
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject:

presents are overrated. give her......love!!!
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject:

LA NATIVE wrote:
Money$hot! wrote:
LA NATIVE wrote:
XTN wrote:

The hate line wasn't verbal but more of a look, like the one Kobe gives the refs when they don't call the foul. Now that I think about it I never bought her that Nintendo DS and the disappointment passed with whatever it was I did get her.

If my kid did that to me, I'd take him right down to skid row to see how lucky he was to have whatever it was he was getting...
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Buy her the iPod if it's within your budget but if your kid is stretching your budget and being unhappy, you should definitely try changing her attitude.

Besides, iPods suck.

Convince her that she doesn't need it and she could do without one.
Why the hell does a 10 year old need an mp3 player anyway?

Or buy her a shuffle, although that's just asking for trouble- an mp3 player with no screen.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject:

man, I'm trying to get my niece an elmo too. no one has them.
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject:

the best advice i could give is, never get your kids anything for christmas. nothing. nada.

not when they are 2, not when they are 10 or 15 yrs old. doesnt matter. we were rich growing up, but our parents never bought us anything for christmas. never got us anything for birthdays either. if you dont want to raise spoiled brats this is what you have to do.

so youre thinking poor me, didnt have any toys growing up. not exactly. we had every single toy a kid could want. bikes, nintendos, hundreds of games. everything we wanted. my parents secret was to have our aunts, uncles and their friends buy everything for us. they would buy the gifts and have our aunts and uncles give them to us. we never found it odd that our aunt would always give us two gifts every year. that taught us to never ask for anything from our parents.

and it worked because to this day, i never ask for anything from my parents. no money to buy a car, not even tuition to go to college. i had to work for everything and my parents are millionaires. theyve spoken to us about it now that we are adults and told us they never gave us gifts on purpose.

dont spoil your children people, theyll thank you later.
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:

Colby Briant wrote:
the best advice i could give is, never get your kids anything for christmas. nothing. nada.

not when they are 2, not when they are 10 or 15 yrs old. doesnt matter. we were rich growing up, but our parents never bought us anything for christmas. never got us anything for birthdays either. if you dont want to raise spoiled brats this is what you have to do.

so youre thinking poor me, didnt have any toys growing up. not exactly. we had every single toy a kid could want. bikes, nintendos, hundreds of games. everything we wanted. my parents secret was to have our aunts, uncles and their friends buy everything for us. they would buy the gifts and have our aunts and uncles give them to us. we never found it odd that our aunt would always give us two gifts every year. that taught us to never ask for anything from our parents.

and it worked because to this day, i never ask for anything from my parents. no money to buy a car, not even tuition to go to college. i had to work for everything and my parents are millionaires. theyve spoken to us about it now that we are adults and told us they never gave us gifts on purpose.

That's cool. One day, when I have kids, I would probably pull something like this.
NBA referees are a detriment to the integrity and essence of the game of basketball. It is our duty, as fans of this sacred game, to eviscerate each and every one of these treacherous maggots, if ever we cross paths with any of them in our lives.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject:

Colby Briant wrote:

Yeah that works for some of us but what about those of us who were raised in poor families and want to provide the goods for our kids?

I don't see that much wrong with raising spoiled kids as long as they have the capacity to make it for themselves.

Life is short anyway... if you can let your children enjoy the nice things in life early on, why not?
XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject:

Colby Briant wrote:

I knew a guy who's parents did the same thing or very similar to it. Well to make a long story short he turned into a major screw up (drug addict) but instead of asking his rich parents for things he would hit up his rich aunts and uncles who had an even harder time saying no to him.

IMO I don't believe in spoiling kids, but I do believe in rewarding and praising kids. More than anything else I believe in teaching my kids what my parents taught me... things are earned and the value of a dollar. Every birthday/xmas and for anything I wanted for that matter I had to earn it. I remember for my 9th birthday i wanted a NES bad. The folks let go of the gardeners for a few months and left me w/ the gardening duties. They money they got went to me instead. Damn skippy I got my NES and it was that much sweeter. It got to the point that I knew "luxury" items would require me to put in work and not just regular chores, by the time I was 12 and on I never asked for anything.

There were times though where they would buy me things out of the blue for having done a good job in school or if I helped out extra around the house. I really appreciated that praise... but I also turned it down on numerous occasions because I learned the difference between "wanting" something and "needing" something. Like my first car the folks wanted to help out but I knew I could handle it. I just think it's a mistake to let kids think that the things they have or receive come outta no where or only come from relatives or people cuz they're "giving". Kids can get spoiled that way too. Teach a kid responsibility and they're less likely to look for hand-outs. My 2 cents.

My suggestion for LA Native of a mini-shopping spree is totally based on experience. I earned the money then I got to spend it.. and boy did I learn how to stretch every dollar and spoil myself.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: