Who is having the better season? Rookie running backs.

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which running back is having the better rookie season?
Reggie Bush
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Laurence Maroney
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Joseph Addai
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maurice Jones-Drew
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 23

4evARaBRUIN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Who is having the better season? Rookie running backs.

I don't want to post stats for fear of showing bias.

What do you guys think?

Are any eligbile for ROY?

1-0. Six more times.

So let success be my sweetest revenge...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Tricky question for me.

Bush is having a very nice season but I don't look at him as a running back. He's more of a jack of all trades. Return man, RB, wide reciever......he does it all for New Orleans.

On the other hand a guy like Maroney is what I would consider a pure RB.

Both have had very good rookie seasons which I think most expected. Drew has been the big suprise in my opinion. He's the Mugsy Bogues of the NFL and with his powerful lower body he is a tough little bigger to bring down.

Still though Bush gets my vote. He's a game changer.
4evARaBRUIN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Jones-Drew has been a surprise for many, but not all of us.

I believe he has been a jack of all trades, as well. Perhaps Bush does more and gets more multi-purpose yards.

I will still take Mo-Jo Drew's 12 TDs so far. There arent many rookies who have scored more than he has.

Addai has the second most with 8, I believe.

The media seems to think Bush is having the best season, so I guess that is the truth though.

1-0. Six more times.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Maroney started off hot and now is injured

Bush has only had one really good game against a bad team

Addai has come on late, but is still inconsistant

Jones-Drew would get my vote, been good since about week 3 and has a ton of TD's
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Bush hasn't run the ball too well. Most of his damage has been done catching the ball.

Jones-Drew has been doing it all. Clearly having the best season of all the rookie backs. I'm surprised because I really thought Bush would have a bigger rookie season than Jones-Drew.

Maroney and Addai are good but haven't done enough.

Overall, a very nice rookie class of all purpose backs that are on the small side like Bush and Jones-Drew. Other midgets that have more to prove would be DeAngelo Williams, Leon Washington, and Brian Calhoun.

Big difference from the prior year where Brown, Benson, and Williams were more of what can be considered pure RB but all look to be average at best. Gore, Barber, and Jacobs look good from the 05 class.
4evARaBRUIN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject:

Just curious... since it seems more bipartisan than anything else, what criteria are everyone using? Or is it simple school loyalty?

1-0. Six more times.

Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Well I don't see Slaton listed up there yet so it's not school loyalty for me

Maroney started off looking like a star running back until he got hurt. I admit I'm a little biased because when I think of a running back I imagine a powerful guy with speed like Maroney. The injury though set him back.

Addai has been good but I don't think teams really gameplan around stopping him. If Indy is running the ball then their opponents are sitting happy.

That is what sets Bush apart from the other guys in my opinion. You know that teams gameplan around Reggie. He's too much of a game changer if you don't keep him under check.

Jacksonville seems to lul you to sleep. By that I mean they give you a steady dose of Fred Taylor and then when they catch you off guard WHAM in comes Drew. You would think teams focus on limiting him but he continuely catches them off guard. I'm still debating whether he's just that good or not.
FarmartoAfflalo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Maurice Jones Drew by a MILE. If it weren't for BSPN hyping the hell out of Bush's every 4 yard gain, this wouldn't even be a question.
unggoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

FarmartoAfflalo wrote:
Maurice Jones Drew by a MILE. If it weren't for BSPN hyping the hell out of Bush's every 4 yard gain, this wouldn't even be a question.

Wow, by a MILE? Come on, we all know you hate USC (you've made that quite obvious), but let's not get carried away here. Maurice Jones-Drew is having a great season, to be sure. So is Reggie Bush. But to say it's not even a question? Someone doesn't watch much football I take it.

Each does a variety of things, and they do them well.

As somone said, you cannot discount what Reggie does simply by lining up in varioius spots on the field. Defenses have to account for him on every play, and the extra attention and help creates opportunities/lanes/single coverage for others. It's not me saying it - it's coaches and coordinators. With that said, he is still second in the NFL in receptions. Jones-Drew has run the ball very well and finds the end zone often. He's catching the ball out of the backfield and he's pretty advanced at his protection as well.

MJ-D returns kickoffs and both have returned punts. Both are good now and should have (barring injury) nice careers.

Maurice may be having the better season, sure - but to suggest it's not even a question is silly.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Bush made me a believer yesterday
FarmartoAfflalo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Why is Reggie Bush still getting more hype? The Stats:

Maurice:
Rushing: 666 yards; 6.1 average; 9 TD's
Receiving: 333 yards; 33 receptions; 10.1 average; 2 TD's
Kick Returns: 689 yards; 27.6 average; 1 TD
Bush:
Rushing: 405 yards; 3.2 average; 4 TD's
Receiving: 687 yards; 79 receptions; 8.7 average; 2 TD's
Punt Returns: 196 yards; 8.2 average; 1 TD

Moreover, the Jaguars have absolutely no passing game at all, while Bush has the luxury of playing with Drew Brees who gets him the ball and has defenses respecting the PASSING game for New Orleans. Will Reggie be a great NFL running back? Most likely. Was he vastly overhyped by ESPN annointing him to the pro bowl basically after 1 touch in the preseason? Hell yes. If Bush had Maurice Drew's stats, it wouldn't be a question who would be the rookie of the year right now. The hype coming into the season was firmly on Bush's side.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject:

I'll be pissed if Bush wins ROY, where the hell was he during the first 10 weeks of the season!? Fool hurt me bad in my ffl. MJD has been consistent all year, and Bush ain't even the best rookie on his own team, that honor belongs to Marques Colston.
4evARaBRUIN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:25 am    Post subject:

Still seems pretty bipartisan.

1-0. Six more times.

MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject:

It's widely known I'm a raging Bruin homer, so I'll say this:

BETTER RUNNING BACK? Mo Drew, if not by a mile, but then by a few good lengths. Drew clearly can run between the tackles -- OK, sometimes UNDER the tackles -- at the NFL level. Bush has found he can't run between the tackles and through the pile like he used to; his linemen don't clearely overpower the competition like $C's used to do. Plus, while Bush is fast, Drew has possibly better burst and is a much tougher target to tackle due to his great balance and leg strength.

But, a BETTER RECEIVER? Then I can give it to Bush pretty fairly. Drew can certainly catch and run, but for Bush to have nearly 80 catches as rookie -- even if many are of the screen-pass-so-he-can-have-room-to-be-a-running-back type passes, that's not bad.

MIM
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
Tricky question for me.

Bush is having a very nice season but I don't look at him as a running back. He's more of a jack of all trades. Return man, RB, wide reciever......he does it all for New Orleans.

On the other hand a guy like Maroney is what I would consider a pure RB.

Both have had very good rookie seasons which I think most expected. Drew has been the big suprise in my opinion. He's the Mugsy Bogues of the NFL and with his powerful lower body he is a tough little bigger to bring down.

Still though Bush gets my vote. He's a game changer.
Yea... he's an Eric Metcalf type player (not in skill, just in how he's used) until get takes over for McAllister...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
4evARaBRUIN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:

Mo had another solid game before sitting out with an injury.

1-0. Six more times.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: