Hold your Wee for a Wii - When Radio Contests Go Wrong
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Hold your Wee for a Wii - When Radio Contests Go Wrong

Quote:
Radio show pulled after woman's death

A radio station fired three morning disc jockeys and seven other employees Tuesday after a woman died from drinking nearly two gallons of water in a contest.

The hosts of KDND-FM's "Morning Rave" were fired a day after the station announced it was suspending the show and investigating the death of 28-year-old Jennifer Lea Strange.

She died Friday after drinking the water in an attempt to win a Nintendo Wii, competing to see who could drink the most water without going to the bathroom.

John Geary, vice president and general manager of KDND's parent company, Entercom/Sacramento, announced that 10 employees were fired.

Strange died of water intoxication, according to a preliminary autopsy. Drinking large quantities of water rapidly can cause brain swelling and lead to seizures, coma and death.

The county sheriff's office said it was not investigating.
Wow... and all for a Wii.... pretty (bleep) sad. I'm sure none of the people involved knew too much water (less that a gallon) can kill.

Quote:
Consuming as little as 1.8 litres of water (0.48 gal) in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 litres (0.79 gallons) for a person on a normal diet...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject:

jeez, you can't make up randomness like this. who woulda thought someone could die from this?
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject:

them be the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide...
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
jeez, you can't make up randomness like this. who woulda thought someone could die from this?
My Mom had an issue with drinking too much water. She was following doctors' orders but misunderstood the amount she was suppose to drink.... she was hospitalized (only for a day)... Crazy Right!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject:

The radio station, including the dj's knew about the dangers of water intoxication. They have them on a tape of the show mentioning it. People called into the show telling them, again, how there have been fatalities because of too much water. The dj's just laughed 'em off.

here are some quotes from the Sac Bee this morning:

"Excerpts from KDND's "Morning Rave" on Friday:

• DJ: "Can't you get water poisoning and, like, die?"

• DJ: "Maybe we should have researched this."

• DJ: "They'll be drinking it and they're going to have to be weeing it; one at a time, they're going to drop like flies."

• Female caller named Eva: "I want to say that, um, that those people that are drinking all that water can get sick and possibly die from water intoxication." DJ: "We're aware of that." DJ: "They signed releases, so we're not responsible. It's OK." DJ: "And if they get to the point where they have to throw up, then they're going to throw up and they're out of the contest before they die, so that's good, right?"

• DJ: "Let me ask Carter if anybody's died. Hey, Carter, is anybody dying in there?" Carter: "We got a guy who's just about to die." DJ: "Make sure he signs the release." Jennifer Strange drops out about 9:30 a.m.

• Strange: "My head hurts. They keep telling me though that it's the water, that it will tell my head to hurt and then it will make me puke. But ..." DJ: "Who told you that, the intern?" Strange: "Yeah, it hurts, but makes you feel lightheaded, so I'm not sure if I'm ... " DJ: "This is what it feels like when you're drowning. There's a lot of water inside of you."

• Strange: "Oh, it hurts."

According to the paper...the case has just been turned over to homicide.
NappyFox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Hope they get sued for all they have and some jail time on top of that. Ignorant bastards.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject:

So did she ever win the Wii or not?
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

Thats not cool man, really it isnt.
NappyFox
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject:

PushingtheLimit wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Thats not cool man, really it isnt.

Yah man, you're pushing the limit.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Strange did not win the Wii. They're only defense was the release form. It's a criminal case, and I'm certain that the family will seek a suit, regardless of the waiver.

Law guys, isn't there a loophole?
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject:

hig wrote:
The radio station, including the dj's knew about the dangers of water intoxication. They have them on a tape of the show mentioning it. People called into the show telling them, again, how there have been fatalities because of too much water. The dj's just laughed 'em off.

• DJ: "They'll be drinking it and they're going to have to be weeing it; one at a time, they're going to drop like flies."

• Female caller named Eva: "I want to say that, um, that those people that are drinking all that water can get sick and possibly die from water intoxication." DJ: "We're aware of that." DJ: "They signed releases, so we're not responsible. It's OK." DJ: "And if they get to the point where they have to throw up, then they're going to throw up and they're out of the contest before they die, so that's good, right?"

• DJ: "Let me ask Carter if anybody's died. Hey, Carter, is anybody dying in there?" Carter: "We got a guy who's just about to die." DJ: "Make sure he signs the release." Jennifer Strange drops out about 9:30 a.m.

• Strange: "My head hurts. They keep telling me though that it's the water, that it will tell my head to hurt and then it will make me puke. But ..." DJ: "Who told you that, the intern?" Strange: "Yeah, it hurts, but makes you feel lightheaded, so I'm not sure if I'm ... " DJ: "This is what it feels like when you're drowning. There's a lot of water inside of you."

That last part is truly disturbing... That's one of the symptoms... headache, because your brain is swelling. Did they get her medical attention?

BTW, she didn't win, she came in second...

Last edited by TACH on Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject:

No medical attention.

We were talking about this at work today. One of my co-workers used to work with her.
TheRod
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
hig wrote:

That last past is truly disturbing... That's one of the symptoms... headache, because your brain is swelling. Did they get her medical attention?

BTW, she didn't win, she came in second...

Perfect way to describe it. I shouldn't have read those quotes...now I'm pissed.
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject:

Listen to some excerpts from the show here. Man. It's just eerie knowing what happened afterward.
bynumisking
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject:

Article with Photo
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Listen to some excerpts from the show here. Man. It's just eerie knowing what happened afterward.
I heard them on XM this morning... I'm speechless.... And baffled,... hell, a simple wikipedia search would tell you this is not a good idea... especially after you had callers saying people could die doing this...

Jail/prison?
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject:

One word: SACRAMENTO

Thanks for the avatar, Hybrid27.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:

Yikes!

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
pokoy wrote:
I heard them on XM this morning... I'm speechless.... And baffled,... hell, a simple wikipedia search would tell you this is not a good idea... especially after you had callers saying people could die doing this...

Jail/prison?

doesn't sound like they could go to jail. after all, she did it to herself. it's not like they made her. however they could get hit with quite a lawsuit.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TACH wrote:
pokoy wrote:

Jail/prison?

doesn't sound like they could go to jail. after all, she did it to herself. it's not like they made her. however they could get hit with quite a lawsuit.
True... but they were warned of the consequences. If they did not inform her of the dangers,... it's that neglegent? Plus they told her see was fine and all that can happen is 'you puke' is you body can handle it.

Quote:
On Wednesday, the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department launched a criminal investigation into the incident, and attorneys for the family of Jennifer Lea Strange said they plan to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the radio station.

The county coroner said preliminary autopsy findings indicate Strange, a 28-year-old mother of three, died of water intoxication.

Authorities decided to pursue the investigation after listening to a tape of the show, obtained by The Sacramento Bee, during which DJs joked about the possible dangers of consuming too much water, sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Tim Curran said. At one point, the DJs even alluded to a college student who died during a similar stunt in 2005.

I don't know,.. well just have to see how this plays out....
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Knowing that she died just after the contest, it's freaky hearing her on that clip talking about how her head was hurting her.

pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
ocho wrote:
TACH wrote:
pokoy wrote:

Jail/prison?

True... but they were warned of the consequences. If they did not inform her of the dangers,... it's that neglegent? Plus they told her see was fine and all that can happen is 'you puke' is you body can handle it.

Quote:
On Wednesday, the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department launched a criminal investigation into the incident, and attorneys for the family of Jennifer Lea Strange said they plan to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the radio station.

The county coroner said preliminary autopsy findings indicate Strange, a 28-year-old mother of three, died of water intoxication.

Authorities decided to pursue the investigation after listening to a tape of the show, obtained by The Sacramento Bee, during which DJs joked about the possible dangers of consuming too much water, sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Tim Curran said. At one point, the DJs even alluded to a college student who died during a similar stunt in 2005.

I don't know,.. well just have to see how this plays out....

To me, it all comes down to her signing a waiver. They might be bulletproof on this one because of it. Sure they were joking about it and it sounds really insensitive now knowing what happened afterward, but I think the radio station might get off free on this one.

But it's California, so who knows.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:

To me, it all comes down to her signing a waiver. They might be bulletproof on this one because of it. Sure they were joking about it and it sounds really insensitive now knowing what happened afterward, but I think the radio station might get off free on this one.

An article about the incident here says:

"Gina Sherrod, who competed with Strange in the contest, said her family listened to the radio show, and told her that a nurse was on air warning that drinking too much water is dangerous. Sherrod said a DJ rebuffed the nurse, saying the contestants signed waivers; however, it was later reported these waivers addressed only publicity issues and did not mention health or safety concerns. Sherrod said she had no idea what risk she had taken until she saw news of Strange's death."

It just doesn't sound like a lot of preparation went into organizing this contest. Most big stations (radio and television) have legal teams that meticulously research the hell out of anything that can happen that could come back and bite them. You need to cover your ass. Even not considering water intoxication, holding in urine for too long could've caused kidney damage to a contestant. This contest was a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Last edited by Triumph on Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Triumph wrote:

however, it was later reported these waivers addressed only publicity issues and did not mention health or safety concerns.

Sounds like they might be screwed!
ShirtsJDH
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject:

Tragic. Someone should be held accountable.

1. Magic
2. Kareem
3. West
3. Wilt
4. Baylor
5. Kobe
5. Shaq
5. Chick
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: