PDA owners...A little advice please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: PDA owners...A little advice please

okay, so before I start school this Spring, Ive decided Im gonna get a PDA.

Any recommendations? Ive been looking around and just dont know where to start. By the way, for those PDAs that are wifi enabled, theres no monthly costs right?(as long as you have and open access point)

I dont want to get a smartphone because I want to avoid OVERPRICED plans from Sprint.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Depends what you want......personally I like the Pocket PC format....you should be using Microsoft Outlook with it....I had an HP Pocket PC which was GREAT....had a keyboard, which REALLY helped.....4355 or something like that....

http://www.amazon.com/HP-iPAQ-4355-Pocket-PC/dp/B0000DBJV5

i have an "overpriced" plan on sprint....actually they are not too bad......the data plan is only 15 bucks more a month versus 40 for Verizon....and Cingular just doesn't have the data network........
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject:

I use a blackberry on Cingular. Absolutely does everything I need. Unlimited data with 1000 minutes costs about 100 per month.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject:

I hear you on not wanting to pay, but my feedback is if you have a cell phone already, why not get one with PDA functionality so you're not carrying around both a cell phone and a PDA? The Cingular 8125 is great for all PDA functionality, plus they have a newer model out now. There's also the Blackjack that does good things. Or you could go with a Treo, etc. If you're already footing the bill on a cell, may as well combine the two, right?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
I hear you on not wanting to pay, but my feedback is if you have a cell phone already, why not get one with PDA functionality so you're not carrying around both a cell phone and a PDA? The Cingular 8125 is great for all PDA functionality, plus they have a newer model out now. There's also the Blackjack that does good things. Or you could go with a Treo, etc. If you're already footing the bill on a cell, may as well combine the two, right?

I won't get into the Blackberry vs. Windows Mobile thing except to say you'll find far fewer blackberry users with complaints than Windows Mobile device users, especially the treo and Q.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject:

question:

would i get charged air time minutes for using the web on a smarthphone?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
question:

No, most plans have some sort of charge for data usage, but it's not considered use of phone minutes, at least on any plan i know of.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:
question:

No, most plans have some sort of charge for data usage, but it's not considered use of phone minutes, at least on any plan i know of.

Well technically you get charged - but as 24 says - it's billed against a data plan. So essentially you're purchasing a voice plan and a data plan. The big carriers provide unlimited data plans if that's what you want to make sure you're not going over. Of course, nothing says that just because you have a smartphone you have to buy a dataplan - you can just use the PDA functionality on its own. Not as powerful, but of course it's all about what suits your needs.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Socks wrote:

I won't get into the Blackberry vs. Windows Mobile thing except to say you'll find far fewer blackberry users with complaints than Windows Mobile device users, especially the treo and Q.

that's because all blackberry people do is use the email. i can view word documents, use internet explorer, etc on my PPC.....its so hard just to change basic options
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject:

okay I was looking at Sprint ,since that my carrier now.

What im looking for:

I want mobile 5.0(for excel PP, and outlook sync)
I want internet access
I want scheduling abilities

Oh and biggie would be if I can use GPS software like the Tom tom software..

I currently have a family shared plan, you guys think I can simply add the data package to my family plan? If so, which do you recommend? (for sprint subcribers)
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:

What im looking for:

I want internet access

I currently have a family shared plan, you guys think I can simply add the data package to my family plan? If so, which do you recommend? (for sprint subcribers)

The best thing about Sprint is that they have data plans for only 15 dollars (data only) extra (Verizon's is like 50 bucks I think).....

I have the PPC6700 which is the one that slides...its pretty good...although if I had to do it again, I'd get the TREO700W (Windows mobile edition).......the Motorola Q just got released for Sprint, although some stores are slow to penetrate new models at times.....I dunno how that OS is....I've used the TRE0700W on Verizon...i wouldn't get a blackberry...the scheduling just isn't that good......get insurance though on the phones..only 6 bucks a month....i go through a phone a year....
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject:

chef wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:

What im looking for:

I want internet access

The best thing about Sprint is that they have data plans for only 15 dollars (data only) extra (Verizon's is like 50 bucks I think).....

I have the PPC6700 which is the one that slides...its pretty good...although if I had to do it again, I'd get the TREO700W (Windows mobile edition).......the Motorola Q just got released for Sprint, although some stores are slow to penetrate new models at times.....I dunno how that OS is....I've used the TRE0700W on Verizon...i wouldn't get a blackberry...the scheduling just isn't that good......get insurance though on the phones..only 6 bucks a month....i go through a phone a year....

ok im gonna sound like a complete noob, but does what exactly does "data" define to? I mean, does this mean I can go on the web without being charged "web time"?

also, are my "talk" minutes used up when I go on the web?

Last question.. :

Can I use a WIFI SD card on any of the smartphones so as to avoid internet charges, if any?
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:

ok im gonna sound like a complete noob, but does what exactly does "data" define to? I mean, does this mean I can go on the web without being charged "web time"?

also, are my "talk" minutes used up when I go on the web?

Last question.. :

Can I use a WIFI SD card on any of the smartphones so as to avoid internet charges, if any?

sprint has various "data" plans called "POWER VISION" services......

the 15 dollar plan gets you unlimited DATA..this is what I use...like it says, you can surf the web and get email as much as you want......doesn't eat into any minutes....or no bandwidth restrictions.....it doesn't affect your talk time at all.

25 dollar gets you Sprint TV (waste of $$$$ IMO) and Radio...they may make you go on that if your phone is sprintTV enabled..not sure.....again, I believe its unlimited

another thing they have on a few is "Phone as a modem"....i don't have this on my phone but you can set it up so your phone is a wireless modem on your laptop.....I think the TREO700 can do this......that plan may be a bit higher.

All of the PDA phones should have built in Wifi.......mine does.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject:

thanks chef your info has been helpful. By the way, ANY slim chance i can view TVU from a treo? Or is ram too small?
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
thanks chef your info has been helpful. By the way, ANY slim chance i can view TVU from a treo? Or is ram too small?

I hear you can use slingbox on the verizon phones.....dunno...probably only when you're in a wifi spot....the battery life using evdo goes pretty fast.....

sprintusers.com is a good sprint site
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
24 wrote:
Socks wrote:

that's because all blackberry people do is use the email. i can view word documents, use internet explorer, etc on my PPC.....its so hard just to change basic options

Not to attack you, but wtf? I view word, excel, PDF's etc. I also surf the web quite regularly. I also use the BB as a modem for my laptop (no need to find hotspots). Additionally, I have a raft of third-party software on my BB. Hell, it's even my alarm clock!

I think your assessment of BB users is a bit biased. What I'm talking about is reliability, synchroniztion, stability, etc. I admit you can get more bells and whistles on Windows mobile devices, but I have yet to hear any credible evidence of a Windows device that begins to rival the bulletproof operation and security of the BB.

Even the month it looked like RIM might get shut down, more blackberries were sold than any Windows Mobile device. Of course, not everyone likes the interface, etc., so I won't put Windows down as a valid choice. Just don't make blanket statements of superiority that have no basis in fact!!

BTW, I hope your PPC is back working so you can read this

That being said,
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
chef wrote:
24 wrote:
Socks wrote:

Not to attack you, but wtf? I view word, excel, PDF's etc. I also surf the web quite regularly. I also use the BB as a modem for my laptop (no need to find hotspots). Additionally, I have a raft of third-party software on my BB. Hell, it's even my alarm clock!

I think your assessment of BB users is a bit biased. What I'm talking about is reliability, synchroniztion, stability, etc. I admit you can get more bells and whistles on Windows mobile devices, but I have yet to hear any credible evidence of a Windows device that begins to rival the bulletproof operation and security of the BB.

Even the month it looked like RIM might get shut down, more blackberries were sold than any Windows Mobile device. Of course, not everyone likes the interface, etc., so I won't put Windows down as a valid choice. Just don't make blanket statements of superiority that have no basis in fact!!

That being said,

I've just had badluck setting up other peopel's blackberries for them.....i tried to set one up for my boss and the thing just wouldn't sync with outlook very well....numbers had to be entered a certain way or it wouldn't sync right...got to be a real pain.

also, i'm not used to setting the email boxes...you have to log onto the enterprise server or whatever to set that up right? I can just put the POP/SMTP information on my device and set it up....i get email from 5 accounts on my PPC.

the web browser also looked quite lame...just used to the IE interface......

I just found the way to find and change options, customize, etc to be very archaic.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
24 wrote:
chef wrote:
24 wrote:
Socks wrote:

Operator error!

Hey, if you like yours, and I like mine, we're all happy

That being said,

I've just had badluck setting up other peopel's blackberries for them.....i tried to set one up for my boss and the thing just wouldn't sync with outlook very well....numbers had to be entered a certain way or it wouldn't sync right...got to be a real pain.

also, i'm not used to setting the email boxes...you have to log onto the enterprise server or whatever to set that up right? I can just put the POP/SMTP information on my device and set it up....i get email from 5 accounts on my PPC.

the web browser also looked quite lame...just used to the IE interface......

I just found the way to find and change options, customize, etc to be very archaic.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: